The .TEL Community on the .TEL Domain Forum!

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

+3
Moonlight
Phillipe
bostoncab
7 posters

How large can I make a directory?

bostoncab
    bostoncab

.tel domain : http://revere.tel
    Number of .tel domains : 1
    Company : Lucky 7 Taxi Cab Revere Ma
    Foundation date : 2010
    Service : Taxi
    Profession : Taxi Driver
    Experience : Around 1 million miles
    Hobbies : Driving around talking to strangers
    Slogan : "We know where you live"
    Zodiac : Cancer Chinese zodiac : Dragon
    Warning level : 100 %

How large can I make a directory? Empty How large can I make a directory?

Post by bostoncab 2013-07-06, 2:35 am

New .tel not new to the internet How large of a directory can I make? Is there a limit to the amount of subdomains?

The only thing I am not understanding about the interface is the keywords part? Its not very clear. 

Could I create a keyword rich subdomain for every person place and thing in my city?
    Phillipe
    Phillipe

How large can I make a directory? Empty Re: How large can I make a directory?

Post by Phillipe 2013-07-06, 6:16 am

Hi bostancab,

Currently Telnic allows you to create up to 3,000 subdomains per .tel.
    In the control panel you will find a keyword area for every single subdomain.

It makes absolutely sense to fill this area for every subdomain of your .tel, as example for every taxi company, doctor, consultant, lawyer or whatever you want to publish.
    It will help you to get better search results at all known search engines.

Just use the last field “free text” and enter the keywords. Recommended are 5 keywords, but don’t use more than 10 keywords for SEO reasons.
    The big difference between a .tel and a .com is that the keywords for a .tel are visible to every visitor of your .tel while they are hidden in the website header of every .com.

Your domain revere.tel looks nice. I believe it could be a great help for your visitors.
    Moonlight
    Moonlight

Post by Moonlight 2013-07-06, 6:37 am

@bostancab

When your create subdomains, pay attention that you use long-tail keywords to get more traffic.
    Long-tail keywords are phrases that people use to search for specific products and services.
    Meaning you should name your subdomains like this:
    taxi.revere.tel
    doctors.revere.tel
    photographers.revere.tel
    TelBlogger
    TelBlogger
    Insider
    Insider

Post by TelBlogger 2013-07-06, 1:06 pm

bostoncab wrote:New .tel not new to the internet How large of a directory can I make? Is there a limit to the amount of subdomains?

The only thing I am not understanding about the interface is the keywords part? Its not very clear. 

Could I create a keyword rich subdomain for every person place and thing in my city?

Be aware that the genius promoters of this extension have made contact records unsearchable from the search box. Only page names (subdomains) are searchable which totally destroys the creation of large directories. Believe me I know! I can trace the searches through google analytics and they just leave when the contact record doesn't show up in results.

Users will do a search for a contact record and not finding it they will leave never to return. You are limited to the 3,000 subdomains effectively and not the 3,000 times 100 contact records per page = 300,000 records.

Forget about large directories - the promoters have ████ this concept completely. This is such a basic requirement for a directory but they have totally destroyed the large directory concept. Don't waste your time.

Last edited by Tel Forum on 2013-07-06, 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Deletion of provocative wording)
    bostoncab
    bostoncab

Post by bostoncab 2013-07-06, 1:22 pm

TelBlogger wrote:
    bostoncab wrote:New .tel not new to the internet How large of a directory can I make? Is there a limit to the amount of subdomains?

Be aware that the genius promoters of this extension have made contact records unsearchable from the search box. Only page names (subdomains) are searchable which totally destroys the creation of large directories. Believe me I know! I can trace the searches through google analytics and they just leave when the contact record doesn't show up in results.

Users will do a search for a contact record and not finding it they will leave never to return. You are limited to the 3,000 subdomains effectively and not the 3,000 times 100 contact records per page = 300,000 records.

Forget about large directories - the promoters have ████ this concept completely. This is such a basic requirement for a directory but they have totally destroyed the large directory concept. Don't waste your time.
    So what do you do with yours and what do you think should be done with .tel? I am wondering why they don't turn it into a giant Wordpress multisite installation but hey thats just me right? What is the best .tel site you have seen?
    TelBlogger
    TelBlogger
    Insider
    Insider

Post by TelBlogger 2013-07-06, 1:49 pm

I started with 250 .tels. Now I have less than thirty. You have to try and make money from just the 3,000 subdomains and this is not easy. It takes a lot of work. It is not worth the time involved unless you can automate the process of developing the subdomains. I haven't. Every investor I knew and there were quite a few, dozens, has bailed except a couple who have a lot of money at stake and are praying for a resurrection.

Adsense is the only real revenue producer because affiliate sales don't work on .tels as there is no pre-selling possible through content. No .tel page can compete with hotel listings for example on geo sites because the competition from proper content sites (.coms, .nets,.orgs) is so fierce - photos, videos, various text, images etc. and also pageranks much higher than any .tel ever got to or will ever get to.

If the full 300,000 contact records were searchable and installation could be automated (scraping tools) I think you could give yellow pages and white pages a good fight in the smaller cities. But the ████████ promoters can not see this. As you can not search for contact records you can not sell listings unless they are page names. Totally Mickey Mouse.

I suggest you drop all your .tels (not sell because there is no market) and buy a .com. If the .tel extension is one day sold to a company with a collective ████████████████████ then you can always come back to it. 

I am not familiar with Wordpress but if it is likely to succeed it will never happen.

Last edited by Tel Forum on 2013-07-06, 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Deletion of provocative wording)
    TelBlogger
    TelBlogger
    Insider
    Insider

Post by TelBlogger 2013-07-06, 2:07 pm

Check out my test site at http://taupo.tel. I have used this to test ideas for four years. I originally used a logical configuration to set up a directory. No traffic. The only hits were from the odd page that had no competition. Didn't work - no money.

Then I changed it to a site with SEO keywords and traffic built to about 50 uniques a day (Taupo has a population around 20k).

But adsense revenue was only about $US 50-100 a year.

So then I decided to compete with yellow and offer paid listings. Never in my wildest imagination did I think that the promoter could be so bad that contact records were not searchable. When I found this out after putting all Taupo businesses on the site as contact records I was very unhappy. Unsaleable listings because not searchable. And there is a market for this I discovered. But not in this unsearchable form.

So now I have just relegated the business listings to the bottom of the home page and have recently used Market Samurai to find all keywords I can compete in and I am constructing the site along those SEO lines. When I found that contact records weren't searchable I knew that .tel directories were finished. If I had known this I would not have bought a single .tel.

I have great .tel keywords and after the next round of drops I will be left with around 17 I think. Words like concrete, aluminum, cycling, hearing etc. I can build money making 3,000 subdomain sites on these and get some income from them at least. Poor return on time used though. When they make money maybe I can sell them.
    bostoncab
    bostoncab

Post by bostoncab 2013-07-06, 4:45 pm

Ok I paid the $12 for it for the next 12 months so I may as well absorb as many keyword rich urls out of it as I can. Is it better to use - or . in the url before the root domain or does it matter? I doubt it. 

also how to embed youtube videos?
    Toptel
    Toptel

Post by Toptel 2013-07-06, 4:52 pm

@TelBlogger

Wise words!
    But the good thing is that a TLD can't be managed worse than it is managed now.
    And somebody who manages a TLD like this can't stay in charge forever. So it can get only better!
    Toptel
    Toptel

Post by Toptel 2013-07-06, 4:55 pm

supercyberheroes
    supercyberheroes

Post by supercyberheroes 2013-07-06, 6:11 pm

bostoncab wrote:Ok I paid the $12 for it for the next 12 months so I may as well absorb as many keyword rich urls out of it as I can. Is it better to use - or . in the url before the root domain or does it matter? I doubt it. 

First: Yes, you can make money with some .tel sites, I know I guy from Spain that with 3 .tel sites and his folders full, make 4000 euros last year, also I know a guy from UK that turn over £10000

Second: there are not 3000 folders like most people think, in fact are only 2999 due that domain itself is a folder, you can make up to 100 records for each folder, but take in account that the logo, and google map are records, and is recommended up to 95 records per folder all in total around 285.000 records.

third: to embed video you need to register at www.telmasters.com then to embed them go here: https://telmasters.com/community/videos.php

four: keywords good for SEO,  but the header too.

Regards

http://4g.tel/

bostoncab
    bostoncab

Post by bostoncab 2013-07-06, 8:46 pm

so I have to use an outside service to add functionality to this? Has anyone tried contacting the shareholders/investment bankers behind telnic to let them know they squandered what would have been a great opportunity? If they ran the entire thing like wordpress.com it would be way better.
    bostoncab
    bostoncab

Post by bostoncab 2013-07-06, 8:50 pm

Does this telmasters have a catch? Like do you click a terms of service that says they own your domain now or do I have to pay for it? How much functionality does it add? Is this the best one or are there others or other better ones? I have been googling trying to find answers and videos to help me with this but there was not much. I can't believe how little there is actually. Just adding the domain to webmaster tools was a huge pain in the balls.
    Boracay
    Boracay

Post by Boracay 2013-07-07, 1:27 am

bostoncab wrote:Does this telmasters have a catch? Like do you click a terms of service that says they own your domain now or do I have to pay for it? How much functionality does it add? Is this the best one or are there others or other better ones? I have been googling trying to find answers and videos to help me with this but there was not much. I can't believe how little there is actually. Just adding the domain to webmaster tools was a huge pain in the balls.
    1. no catch on the free tools, Mark would hope that you use a few of his premium tools though (i would like a yearly payment option??), and donate occasionally
    2. the "telvision.co" tool i think is the easiest tool of all currently, its a visual "wysiwyg" editor
    3. this is the best service... and last known service officially continuing (and future) support 
    4. adding to google webmasters is in the too hard basket (i think anyway)

Mark is the goto guy "all things .tel"
    www.mark.tel
    TelBlogger
    TelBlogger
    Insider
    Insider

Post by TelBlogger 2013-07-07, 2:39 am

supercyberheroes wrote:
    bostoncab wrote:Ok I paid the $12 for it for the next 12 months so I may as well absorb as many keyword rich urls out of it as I can. Is it better to use - or . in the url before the root domain or does it matter? I doubt it. 

First: Yes, you can make money with some .tel sites, I know I guy from Spain that with 3 .tel sites and his folders full, make 4000 euros last year, also I know a guy from UK that turn over £10000

Second: there are not 3000 folders like most people think, in fact are only 2999 due that domain itself is a folder, you can make up to 100 records for each folder, but take in account that the logo, and google map are records, and is recommended up to 95 records per folder all in total around 285.000 records.

third: to embed video you need to register at www.telmasters.com then to embed them go here: https://telmasters.com/community/videos.php

four: keywords good for SEO,  but the header too.

Regards

http://4g.tel/

Yes, I have heard the stories about these so called successful sites. There is a guy spanish Cavilito or something like that at the defunct Telnic forum who maintained he makes good money from a few sites.

But asked what sites he won't tell you. And if you then ask non-specific questions about the types of page content he won't reply. So it's probably lies. I am very happy to be proved wrong on this of course so please prove me wrong.

You say you know a guy in England earning 10k per year. Is this from listing charges, from Adsense or affiliate or combination? What are his/her sites?
    bostoncab
    bostoncab

Post by bostoncab 2013-07-07, 2:48 am

I don't think you could make money from listing charges unless you already had pages ranking. Right? Most business owners are not completely retarded. Look how few pay yelp and they are digital gangsters. I still can not believe how poorly run this pie is. telnic makes the bulk of the money on a domain sale right? Icann gets their pennies the registrar gets a couple bucks and telnic gets the rest? Seriously we need to organize a reach out campaign to the money behind telnic.
    Toptel
    Toptel

Post by Toptel 2013-07-07, 5:19 am

bostoncab wrote:Seriously we need to organize a reach out campaign to the money behind telnic.
    The shareholders must know about the bad condition of .tel, because very few revenues come in due to the declining registration numbers.
    We really don’t know what is going on behind the scenes, but it's not normal that a developer of an innovative service refuses every help and doesn't like to implement the smallest improvements.
    Like TelBlogger wrote most have given up hope already.
    It would be easy to contact Telnic's shareholders because their .tel domains can be found on Telpages.com easily: http://www.teltalk.org/t452p8-the-investors-behind-telnic-35m
    Everybody can call them up.
    Toptel
    Toptel

Post by Toptel 2013-07-07, 5:33 am

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 2024-04-19, 9:12 am