The .TEL Community on the .TEL Domain Forum!

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!
The .TEL Community on the .TEL Domain Forum!

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

New Templates Are Available

Rambo
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Warning level : 100 %

Re: New Templates Are Available

Post by Rambo on 2012-07-06, 5:37 pm

@Mike

When taking
a look at the bank account of Telnic, do you understand why they are not in a
hurry to lead .tel to success?

But yes, marketing is what will be needed to reach Joe Public!
Tel
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Tel on 2012-07-06, 6:30 pm

Rambo wrote:When taking
a look at the bank account of Telnic, do you understand why they are not in a
hurry to lead .tel to success?
This explains many things!
Telminator
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Warning level : Banned

Post by Telminator on 2012-07-06, 8:12 pm

Guys,
What are you saying?
Telnic has 10 Million GB in cash and they took a look at the low momentum for .tel domains.
Instead of pushing .tel into the market, they just reduced development and marketing effort to work not in hurry.
Furthermore Telnic has a unique product with DNS management which will give them huge advantage in projects demanded by future technologies, so they don’t have to worry about their success. Because no other competitor will be able to deliver a similar product the next years, they just can wait and watch .tel grow slowly.
For them perhaps a slow growth would be even better, so they can adjust to new market situations without hustle.
For replacing phone numbers there is no other logical solution than integration DNS requests into phones, because the same procedure is used for opening websites.
If we consider that numeric phone numbers will be replaced by letters one day, Telnic is doomed for success anyway. Why should they rush?
Of course the deceleration of software development since 2011 can’t be in the interest of .tel investors. That’s why they stopped informing them!
Did I get it right?

JH
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by JH on 2012-07-07, 9:03 am

Perhaps we are missing the big picture here:
The purpose of .tel isn’t it to deliver a complete hosted website. The intended use of .tel is the integration into telecommunication services. If you can host a website for desktops with .tel, then it is just an add-on to the key task of .tel!
Perhaps because of this reason we can’t expect rich content on .tel, because Telnic is securing the original structure to be prepared for that moment when .tel will be used for name dialing and social networking based on domains.
Right now we are just in preparation for what .tel was invented for, but the current usage isn’t the target at all.
After Telnic has reached their strategic targets, website content won’t play such an important role anymore.
kprobe
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by kprobe on 2012-07-07, 9:09 am

Waiting for the day we can login to any service using [Signin with your .Tel] button, just like FB and Twitter.
Mark

mikeseaton
High-Flyer
High-Flyer

.tel domain : MIkeSeaton.tel

Post by mikeseaton on 2012-07-07, 10:08 am

JH wrote:Perhaps we are missing the big picture here:
The purpose of .tel isn’t it to deliver a complete hosted website. The intended use of .tel is the integration into telecommunication services. If you can host a website for desktops with .tel, then it is just an add-on to the key task of .tel!
Perhaps because of this reason we can’t expect rich content on .tel, because Telnic is securing the original structure to be prepared for that moment when .tel will be used for name dialing and social networking based on domains.
Right now we are just in preparation for what .tel was invented for, but the current usage isn’t the target at all.
After Telnic has reached their strategic targets, website content won’t play such an important role anymore.
Jens is absolutely right BUT Phase 2 (Dialing/Emailing/Skyping etc using a DNS lookup of the .Tel) won't happen without "Critical Mass" first being achieved, which is what Telnic/Telnames are attempting with the current Phase 1 of the .Tel project.

Henri's (Chief Strategist & CTO of Telnic) post from Telnic's forum made on 28 March 2011 explains it all:

Come on people...

I hope you may have considered that we might have had this idea at some point when conceptualizing .tel... After all, we have been talking for a few years of "dialing a .tel", "emailing a .tel", "skyping a .tel", etc...

It seems like I need to repeat the ultimate long term goal of .tel: to be a SINGLE POINT OF CONTACT for all communications.
There is no need whatsoever to remember phone numbers or email addresses or skype ids, or MSN usernames. They're all a single DNS query away, just like IP addresses are a single DNS query away from web server names.

However, for this long term goal to be achieved, mobile phone companies and email client developers and Skype (and all the rest) will have to integrate this .tel lookup in their apps (just like Netscape integrated the A record lookup). For them to feel the value of doing this, first there needs to be a certain critical mass of .tel domains being used in the wild. Therefore there needs to be another orthogonal value proposition that is appealing to a large enough population that the critical mass will be reached.

And that other value proposition is what you see today as being generally how .tel is thought about: a simple, powerful way to publish your own contact information online, under your complete control.

So yeah, we know about the killer app. Trust me. We know. And we're glad you know too. It'll happen. But it's phase 2. Right now we're working on the success of phase 1, and considering the significant interest we see out there, it's going in the right direction pretty quickly.

And there's really no need for us to build dialer applications because:
1- they'll never be integrated by phone manufacturers.
2- for manufacturers to support .tel in their own dialers is trivial, a simple matter of parsing the .tel and doing a DNS lookup. And sample code to do that is already available to them.

Hope this is clear.
H.
Unfortunately if you look at .Tel Total Registratiosn they are falling back most months (see http://www.hosterstats.com/DomainNameCounts2011.php & http://www.hosterstats.com/DomainNameCounts2012.php) and so there is no chance of "Critical Mass" being achieved as things stand, hence no Phase 2 since Telcos will not make the necessary modification to their systems without enough .Tels populated with phone numbers to make it worth their while.

So for those who think .tel can just cruise along with minimal marketing expenditure the answer is "Only if you forget about the whole reason .Tel was designed for in the first place i.e. Phase 2 DNS lookup".

Hence the need for Worldwide Marketing now - without it Phase 2 will never happen !

http://MikeSeaton.tel
TelKing
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by TelKing on 2012-07-07, 10:33 am

mikeseaton wrote:However, for this long term goal to be achieved, mobile phone companies and email client developers and Skype (and all the rest) will have to integrate this .tel lookup in their apps (just like Netscape integrated the A record lookup). For them to feel the value of doing this, first there needs to be a certain critical mass of .tel domains being used in the wild. Therefore there needs to be another orthogonal value proposition that is appealing to a large enough population that the critical mass will be reached.
Very valuable information;
but I want to understand this:

Why mobile phone companies and others need to feel the value of using the technology
of .tel by seeing critical mass first?
Wouldn't it be enough to convince a mobile phone company about the benefit of
this technology and so they can be the first provider of it?

As soon name phone numbers would be usable, critical mass would be reached
automatically - because then customers will see the benefit of .tel and want to
have one, too.
If a company like Amazon can be dialed up by their name instead by a cryptic
phone number, I can't imagine they would hesitate to use it!
Rambo
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Rambo on 2012-07-07, 12:17 pm

TelKing wrote:Why mobile phone companies and others need to feel the value of using the technology
of .tel by seeing critical mass first?
Wouldn't it be enough to convince a mobile phone company about the benefit of
this technology and so they can be the first provider of it?
Inverted world! In other industries providers create a finished product first – and then sell it to their costumers!
Telnic is trying to do the opposite here! Why they don’t built joint ventures with phone companies?
mikeseaton
High-Flyer
High-Flyer

Post by mikeseaton on 2012-07-07, 12:55 pm

Rambo wrote:Why they don’t built joint ventures with phone companies?
Here's a post I made on Telnic's forum, Justin Hayward's (Telnic's Business Development and Communications Director) response, and my reply to that.

These 3 posts from 14 September 2011 summarise the situation pretty well (nothing much has changed since then) as seen from .tel investors/developers viewpoint and Telnic's as represented by Justin.

Mike Seaton

I've just come across this article entitled ICANN Conference Features Domain Dialing and expected to be reading about Dot Tel (Telnic were there I believe) but instead it's all about Siter.com which Jens mentioned the other day.

There appears to be threats to .tel's promise of "Dial-By-Name" coming from all directions, but the one thing that .tel could have had is First Mover Advantage - whereby a product gains a stranglehold on a marketplace by not necessarily being the best, or the cheapest, but gets to market first and achieves mass acceptance such that people are reluctant to move away.

Dot Tel is probably the best Dial-By-Name solution (when it eventually happens), it's fairly cheap (though not free), but we don't have a Dial-By-Name product that's available now, despite .tel being launched 2.5 years ago (and being developed for several years before that).

Why does Dot Tel not already have a Dial-By-Name product in place to fend off these emerging competitors - Telnic have had several years start on them - where has all the time gone?

Justin Hayward

Mike

You obviously think we have been sitting on our hands for two and a half years. Quite frankly, that is an extremely derogatory comment to the people that work here.

What you seem to have overlooked is that there are a lot of moving parts when it comes to doing deals with .tel. Some of these are out of our control.

An example. Last year we had a very positive reaction from a major European high street retailer of mobile phones who was looking to integrate the .tel offer into their web offering. They loved the product, saw a good fit and liked the apps we had developed. However, when it came to the crunch, the registrar they were looking to work with let the whole thing down with the purchase process, and interest went dead. Will we get a second chance? I don't know.

I am not going to outline all of the efforts that we have gone to and continue to undertake to engage with the very companies that you're talking about. And to refer to a press release from Siter that sponsored the ICANN conference of proof that we're doing nothing in this arena is poor show. Sitter uses a proprietary database of non-live information and which provides just one way of interacting with a company - by phone. I'm not decrying their efforts and we keep a close eye on developments.

Getting a phone manufacturer to embed a domain dialler in their handset is a huge challenge. Have we been talking to companies about it? Sure. Do you know how many layers of people you have to go through, how quickly people join and leave these organisations and how many priorities they have?

So whilst I appreciate you are frustrated, please remember that actually we are all working to deliver a common goal. We also have priorities to work through and are aware of the pressure of time. So whilst we appreciate the candour of the discussion in this forum, please again be aware that when we have successes we will share them and where there are things that don't go so well, rather than apportion blame, we move on and work to achieve what we can in another direction.

http://Justin.tel

Mike Seaton

Mike

You obviously think we have been sitting on our hands for two and a half years. Quite frankly, that is an extremely derogatory comment to the people that work here.

What you seem to have overlooked is that there are a lot of moving parts when it comes to doing deals with .tel. Some of these are out of our control.
Justin, please don't take personal offence with the comments that are being made on this forum by not just myself, but by many others.

I prefer to deal in facts, and the fact is that 2.5 years after .tel's launch (and several years of product development from a 13-year old company) there is no keypad "Dial-By-Name" product actually available - even though Dial-By-Name (& Email/Skype etc) is one of the key components that Telnic have said they are in business to offer.

In business no-one cares how difficult a company finds it to do what they have promised - the market only cares about them delivering results.

And to refer to a press release from Siter that sponsored the ICANN conference of proof that we're doing nothing in this arena is poor show.
Why on earth did Telnic not take the initiative and sponsor the ICANN Conference, rather than let an up-and-coming competitor gain the promotional coverage that this brings ?

Getting a phone manufacturer to embed a domain dialler in their handset is a huge challenge. Have we been talking to companies about it? Sure. Do you know how many layers of people you have to go through, how quickly people join and leave these organisations and how many priorities they have?
Your comment above worries me - you are making it sound a virtually impossible task just to get one company on board - how many companies would need to be signed up for .tel to be a universal success ?

So whilst I appreciate you are frustrated, please remember that actually we are all working to deliver a common goal. We also have priorities to work through and are aware of the pressure of time.
What frustrates so many in this forum is that .tel has no recognition by the man in the street - not even in mobile phone shops.

There are so many things that could be done to raise awareness of .tel to "Joe Public" - many have been suggested in this forum such as a mass marketing campaign, celebrity endorsement, product placement in TV/Films, presence at sporting events, automatic inclusion with each new mobile phone contract, etc, etc.

If you look at my posts over the last 2 years you will see that I have been one of the staunchest supporters of Telnic and the .tel concept - I still believe .tel can make it but only if Dial-By-Name becomes a reality very soon and .tel is promoted to the man in the street.

But it simply isn't happening now and TIME IS RUNNING OUT FOR DOT TEL !

Rambo
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Rambo on 2012-07-07, 1:40 pm

mikeseaton wrote:
Justin Hayward
An example. Last year we had a very positive reaction from a major European high street retailer of mobile phones who was looking to integrate the .tel offer into their web offering. They loved the product, saw a good fit and liked the apps we had developed. However, when it came to the crunch, the registrar they were looking to work with let the whole thing down with the purchase process, and interest went dead. Will we get a second chance? I don't know.
I can't believe this! Telnic have reached almost everything what needs to be accomplished - and then they only gave up, because one registrar (out of 100) was lazy?

Alex
Admin

Comments : I have left TelTalk.org.

Please contact the new forum
owner "tel.community" instead!

Post by Alex on 2012-07-07, 7:03 pm

Rambo wrote:I can't believe this! Telnic have reached almost everything what needs to be accomplished - and then they only gave up, because one registrar (out of 100) was lazy?
For me one thing is for sure: Telnic will get their second chance. "Name dialing" can work reasonable only per DNS requests and no other competitor offers the same abilities.

If we assume name dialing will be introduced in the future (and surely it will), what other real alternatives exist than using .tel?
All other ideas available on the market base only on use of an additional app for every platform (iPhone, Android), but that is not good enough:
Customers want the best solution which require the implementation in the operating system of every cell phone (and that is very easy only with .tel)!

But I agree the marketing of Telnic should be straighter forward. There is no reason to wait until mobile phone providers wake up. More perseverance in promoting would be good.

I have left TelTalk.org. Please contact the new forum owner tel.community instead!
TelGirl

Post by TelGirl on 2012-07-07, 10:58 pm

Interesting discussion!
Some observers may wonder why people registered .tels in the year 2009, because on first sight they seem to offer only limited content and limited design.
Perhaps 2009 domain investors just bought it, because it was different and they didn’t want to miss any chance to make profit!
But again observers wonder why people (not all) still don’t drop their .tels in the year 2012. Definitely the reason for it can’t be the current website style of .tels. Even today we have 8 templates to choose from (plus 1 from Telnames); everybody can build much more interesting websites with other extensions.
Building a website surely can’t be the reason for staying invested.
Instead it is the unique technology which let registrants see the possibilities for never known utilization, first of all name dialing.
Another great aspect is the easy use. A registrant doesn’t need more than one login (at Telnames) and even my grandmother would be able to set up a complete styled .tel!
But owning a .tel doesn’t make sense as long only 250.000 people own .tels! I’m convinced people who stay faithful to this domain extension, they know .tel can only be an asset when millions of internet users own one. And this target will be reached only by complete different use than only website hosting!

Unfortunately domain investors and even a lot of .tel registrants themselves don’t know the real purpose of .tel, because you hardly can find any discussion about name dialing on the net or elsewhere.
As soon name dialing gets public awareness, .tel will explode. Just my opinion!

Alex
Admin

Comments : I have left TelTalk.org.

Please contact the new forum
owner "tel.community" instead!

Post by Alex on 2012-07-08, 7:15 am

Indeed; this discussion is very interesting and helpful!

This topic is about the new templates released this week, but instead everybody is talking about different potential of .tel domains.

That shows clearly for .tel owners the new templates are not as important as something else!

I have left TelTalk.org. Please contact the new forum owner tel.community instead!
mikeseaton
High-Flyer
High-Flyer

Post by mikeseaton on 2012-07-09, 11:22 am

JLouisBiz
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Hobbies : Buying gold
Warning level : 75 %

Post by JLouisBiz on 2012-08-19, 5:59 am

Very insightful conversation with Justin and Mike:
http://www.teltalk.org/t240p50-new-templates-are-available#999

Justin is truly excelling in English expressions, that I would be afraid to be his wife and argue with him:

Anyway, people work there, they don't just sit on their hands for two and half years. Great. Where there is work, there are also awards, they get their salaries, there are some TEL renewals and the petty cash is available at all times.

But there are no considerable end results for end users whatsoever.

The way out is:

Drop your TEL domain and earn US $1 and more
http://www.teltalk.org/t395-drop-your-tel-domain-and-earn-us-1-and-more#1626

And quickly change to http://About.Me which is FREE page just for you, where you can have great background, design, all your contact information, pictures, social networking, statistics, SEO promotion and even free business cards.
Sunrise
Insider
Insider

Post by Sunrise on 2012-11-05, 2:53 am

Justin Hayward wrote:An example. Last year we had a very positive reaction from a major European high street retailer of mobile phones who was looking to integrate the .tel offer into their web offering. They loved the product, saw a good fit and liked the apps we had developed. However, when it came to the crunch, the registrar they were looking to work with let the whole thing down with the purchase process, and interest went dead. Will we get a second chance? I don't know.
This is the wrong approach by Telnic.
Telnic can't only wait until potential partners get active.
Justin Hayward is right such business is tough, but only because of one small failure they can't give up this easily.
Telnic has to try over and over again to be successful.
But it seems after trying once, Telnic don't want to use more energy for a second try.
mikeseaton
High-Flyer
High-Flyer

Post by mikeseaton on 2012-11-05, 7:27 am

Sunrise wrote:But it seems after trying once, Telnic don't want to use more energy for a second try.
Yes - I couldn't understand the give up after one unsuccessful try mentality either !

Here's the full exchange of views between Justin Hayward and myself at http://www.teltalk.org/t240p56-new-templates-are-available#999

mikeseaton
High-Flyer
High-Flyer

Post by mikeseaton on 2012-11-05, 7:36 am

And for those who aren't sure what Phase 2 of .Tel is all about - here's the post explaining it all - http://www.teltalk.org/t240p50-new-templates-are-available#995

mikeseaton
High-Flyer
High-Flyer

Post by mikeseaton on 2012-11-07, 8:41 am

Sunrise wrote:
Justin Hayward wrote:An example. Last year we had a very positive reaction from a major European high street retailer of mobile phones who was looking to integrate the .tel offer into their web offering. They loved the product, saw a good fit and liked the apps we had developed. However, when it came to the crunch, the registrar they were looking to work with let the whole thing down with the purchase process, and interest went dead. Will we get a second chance? I don't know.
This is the wrong approach by Telnic.
Telnic can't only wait until potential partners get active.
Justin Hayward is right such business is tough, but only because of one small failure they can't give up this easily.
Telnic has to try over and over again to be successful.
But it seems after trying once, Telnic don't want to use more energy for a second try.

Just got a quote displayed in my Twitter timeline that sums up the above very well:

"Remember that guy that gave up? Neither does anyone else." - Unknown

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 2018-12-11, 5:40 pm