The .TEL Community on the .TEL Domain Forum!

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

Cookies

Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

Cookies            Empty Cookies

Post by Telnic 2015-01-02, 10:05 am

Calculito09-08-2013 11:47 PM

Cookies

Most of European countries are applying laws regarding cookies. Basically these laws force the webmaster to report the final user about the specific cookies used in the wavepage. Should telnic take this into account?. At the minute I am "out of the law" when I insert adsense ads in my sites.

tony mayo09-09-2013 12:30 PM

This issue has crossed my mind too. 

However, I wonder if we are exempted from this EU nonsense if our domains are registered in the US?

Another example of EU bureaucrats justifying their sinecures.

Calculito10-17-2013 04:20 PM

I´m really concerned about this point. I heard about fines to some webmaster just for not reporting the web visitor about the cookies in use. Should Telnic do something about it?

tony mayo10-23-2013 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calculito (Post 27524)
    I´m really concerned about this point. I heard about fines to some webmaster just for not reporting the web visitor about the cookies in use. Should Telnic do something about it?

[size]
    I see Twitter is now flagging its Cookies Policy in EU countries from today.

It is probably wiser not to ignore this EU directive any longer. 

I'm adding a Cookies Policy Notification in my directories with a web link.

See link at bottom of page. This should suffice. If you don't have a .com site - just create a new folder and add link. It seems enforcement is fairly lenient.

At any rate, I have been doing something similar with my other websites for the past year to avoid pop-ups, and I have not had any problems.

Here's a useful link for anyone concerned about this EU directive showing examples of how major brands are complying.[/size]

Lostwithiel10-24-2013 11:26 AM

In an earlier post Calculito said:-

Quote:

[size]
    If you are concerned about telnic collecting data from your site, there is already a telnic privacy policy regarding cookies you could quote on your dot tel site. It is available at http://www.telnic.org/ita/legal.html

In terms of data that individual site owners may collect, in a similar manner to tony mayo, I have added a page to my dot tel site with some standard wording about Google Analytics plus a couple of links. 

I also found quite a good image to make the whole page look slightly more interesting! 

See http://read-more.lostwithiel.tel/

Regards,

Keith[/size]

tony mayo10-24-2013 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lostwithiel (Post 27542)
    I also found quite a good image to make the whole page look slightly more interesting! 

[size]
    The addition of the image looks good.[/size]

supercyberheroes10-24-2013 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lostwithiel (Post 27542)
    In an earlier post Calculito said:-

If you are concerned about telnic collecting data from your site, there is already a telnic privacy policy regarding cookies you could quote on your dot tel site. It is available at http://www.telnic.org/ita/legal.html

In terms of data that individual site owners may collect, in a similar manner to tony mayo, I have added a page to my dot tel site with some standard wording about Google Analytics plus a couple of links. 

Regards,

Keith

[size]
    Very good point, I may follow you, great idea mate.

Regards[/size]

Blunderer10-25-2013 01:31 AM

What is the benefit of using Google Analytics on a .tel site? Do you folk actually adjust the content of your sites - and obtain improved results - based on the data?

ILY10-26-2013 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blunderer (Post 27551)
    What is the benefit of using Google Analytics on a .tel site? Do you folk actually adjust the content of your sites - and obtain improved results - based on the data?

[size]
    Yes, ultimately!

Analyzing the statistic you can get much more profit from your websites.

// And there is Yandex.Metrika (not supported by .tel's like any custom code) which allows even to get "video" session of users' interaction with your website.[/size]

Lostwithiel10-26-2013 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blunderer (Post 27551)

[size]
    Hi Roy,

Think Analytics well worth using. It will let you know lots of data including ;-
    [/size]

• How many visitors to your site on any particular day
    • Split between mobile and desktop users
    • How many repeat users compared to first time users
    • Browsers and Mobile Devices used by visitors.

[size]

Not sure about obtaining improved results, but it will give you good evidence of how many people visit your sites, which should help in selling listings.

It is very easy to set up Analytics for your tel site. You can even do it from the Telnic Control Panel without the need for third party tools.

Regards,

Keith[/size]

Blunderer10-26-2013 01:34 PM

@ILI; @Lostwithiel,

Thank you. I asked these questions with particular regard to the subject of cookies and the EU regulations since, so far as I know, a .tel site without Google Analytics is fully compliant.

I have deployed GA on my sites, and review the items you listed above but - for curiosity mainly. I've not attempted to make any kind of qualitative evaluation, or make any changes to the sites.

As I understand them, the EU Regulations require a facility on the front page that advises viewers that cookies are used, and that requires them to opt in or out of the site at that point - clearly not something that can be easily achieved with a .tel.

I just wondered if anyone could say that they had obtained an increase in revenue, viewers, etc., as a result of changes they made to a .tel site that were based on the Analytics data.

I have a Cookie policy within my Terms and Conditions but I can't see a way to link the display of this with the EU positive response requirement.

Regards,

Roy

tony mayo10-26-2013 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blunderer (Post 27562)
    @ILI; @Lostwithiel,

Thank you. I asked these questions with particular regard to the subject of cookies and the EU regulations since, so far as I know, a .tel site without Google Analytics is fully compliant.

I have deployed GA on my sites, and review the items you listed above but - for curiosity mainly. I've not attempted to make any kind of qualitative evaluation, or make any changes to the sites.

As I understand them, the EU Regulations require a facility on the front page that advises viewers that cookies are used, and that requires them to opt in or out of the site at that point - clearly not something that can be easily achieved with a .tel.

I just wondered if anyone could say that they had obtained an increase in revenue, viewers, etc., as a result of changes they made to a .tel site that were based on the Analytics data.

I have a Cookie policy within my Terms and Conditions but I can't see a way to link the display of this with the EU positive response requirement.

Regards,

Roy

[size]
    Regarding the Cookies, it seems there is a fairly lenient approach being taken. At any rate, all we can do is add a clearly stated link to our Cookie Policy, which is surely within the spirit of the directive.

Regarding the analytics, I don't have time now for detailed analysis but at some stage the data will be worth its weight in gold in terms of tweaking my directories.
    What I can say though is that every time I do check GA, I can notice the move to mobile search is growing by the month and that is the great opportunity for .tel[/size]

Lostwithiel10-26-2013 03:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
    Roy said

Quote:

........ with the EU positive response requirement.

[size]
    I have gone to "the horse's mouth" and looked at The Information Commissioner's Office publication Guidance on the rules on use of cookies and similar technologies

This is available to download from http://www.ico.org.uk/for_the_public...online/cookies, but document is also attached to this posting.

The Guide has a Your Questions Answered section. On page 29 there is the following Question and Answer:-

Question
    We only use analytical cookies – if nobody consents that will seriously restrict the amount of information we can get to improve and develop our website

Answer

The Regulations do not distinguish between cookies used for analytical activities and those used for other purposes. We do not consider analytical cookies fall within the ‘strictly necessary’ exception criteria. This means in theory websites need to tell people about analytical cookies and gain their consent

In practice we would expect you to provide clear information to users about analytical cookies and take what steps you can to seek their agreement.(My Italics) This is likely to involve making the argument to show users why these cookies are useful. Although the Information Commissioner cannot completely exclude the possibility of formal action in any area, it is highly unlikely that priority for any formal action would be given to focusing on uses of cookies where there is a low level of intrusiveness and risk of harm to individuals. Provided clear information is given about their activities we are highly unlikely to prioritise first party cookies used only for analytical purposes in any consideration of regulatory action.

I have uploaded the full document from the Commissioner's Office in case anybody wants to read it.

In summary, I can't see people in the UK with a dot tel site getting a "knock on the door" about Cookie Regulations, assuming they add a simple note to their website.

Regards,

Keith[/size]

ILY10-27-2013 07:24 AM

And set up search prefixes in GA to see what your visitors looking for..
    (Now you can see it only in custom list of visited hosts, identified by /lookup and /search substring)

Current date/time is 2024-03-28, 1:25 pm