The .TEL Community on the .TEL Domain Forum!

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

200 million iOS mobile handsets

Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

200 million iOS mobile handsets Empty 200 million iOS mobile handsets

Post by Telnic 2014-12-30, 4:44 pm

boracay.tel06-07-2011 04:11 PM

200 million iOS mobile handsets

And that's not even including android smartphones. That was the number of mobile website viewing handsets apple touted in the wild as of yesterday. Adding something like 40million more every 3 months now....

That's why I'm focused on wrapping our .tel directory into an app. These numbers are absolutely mind blowing. 

The current mobile proxy works really well on iPhone.
    I want to thank telnic for providing that proxy.
    Cheers

henri06-07-2011 07:07 PM

Use some of the superbook code to make your app.
    I'm working on an update version that includes TelPages.

telrific06-08-2011 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by henri (Post 15165)

[size]
    That is good news.

:)[/size]

boracay.tel06-08-2011 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by henri (Post 15165)

[size]
    That's great. 
    I took a look many months ago, but decided it was much easier to use a UIwebview and simply redraw the mobile proxy in an app's main centre window. Version 1 of boracayApp anyways...

Could you possibly include some further documentation for dummies with your superbook code? I would surely hope to make a version 2 or maybe 3 of boracayApp (that's more along the lines of accessing the dns data directly) ....someday[/size]

henri06-08-2011 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boracay.tel (Post 15172)
    That's great. 
    I took a look many months ago, but decided it was much easier to use a UIwebview and simply redraw the mobile proxy in an app's main centre window. Version 1 of boracayApp anyways...

Could you possibly include some further documentation for dummies with your superbook code? I would surely hope to make a version 2 or maybe 3 of boracayApp (that's more along the lines of accessing the dns data directly) ....someday

[size]
    Yes of course. Right now I'm trying to revive my MacBook Pro after attempting unsuccessfully to join silicon and single estate green tea. Don't worry though, the data is backed up It's just that I need the computer to finish the codebase and push it out to svn.

As for how hard it is to use, it's very simple. This discussion belongs in the dev forums, but basically you copy over the .tel SDK and supporting files, and just modify the UITableView Controller to make it display a .tel the way you want. It's all inside a navigation controller, so once you call it up to display a .tel, the user can navigate all he wants.

The added value by using a native codebase is:
    - precise customization
    - significantly faster
    - much less data pushed over the wire
    - embedded native Google Maps

And with the upcoming version:
    - TelPages integration if you want
    - on-device caching (will always remember the last version of every .tel you ever went to, so if you're in a bind without network connectivity, you're good)
    - pull-release to refresh (like the Twitter app)

Also another cool thing you could do is thanks to the on-device caching, you could pre-cache for the user your complete domain (say all *.boracay.tel) upon first startup, so even if the user is offline later on there's always data to rely on.[/size]

dottel.net06-08-2011 09:32 AM

Cool added features. Is it too late to request another?

I'd like additional use of the phones location to easily return matching domains within the phone users current location (proximity). No wonder I bought proximity.tel :rolleyes:

Quote:

Originally Posted by henri (Post 15173)
    Yes of course. Right now I'm trying to revive my MacBook Pro after attempting unsuccessfully to join silicon and single estate green tea. Don't worry though, the data is backed up It's just that I need the computer to finish the codebase and push it out to svn.

As for how hard it is to use, it's very simple. This discussion belongs in the dev forums, but basically you copy over the .tel SDK and supporting files, and just modify the UITableView Controller to make it display a .tel the way you want. It's all inside a navigation controller, so once you call it up to display a .tel, the user can navigate all he wants.

The added value by using a native codebase is:
    - precise customization
    - significantly faster
    - much less data pushed over the wire
    - embedded native Google Maps

And with the upcoming version:
    - TelPages integration if you want
    - on-device caching (will always remember the last version of every .tel you ever went to, so if you're in a bind without network connectivity, you're good)
    - pull-release to refresh (like the Twitter app)

Also another cool thing you could do is thanks to the on-device caching, you could pre-cache for the user your complete domain (say all *.boracay.tel) upon first startup, so even if the user is offline later on there's always data to rely on.

henri06-08-2011 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dottel.net (Post 15175)
    Cool added features. Is it too late to request another?

I'd like additional use of the phones location to easily return matching domains within the phone users current location (proximity). No wonder I bought proximity.tel :rolleyes:

[size]
    Yes I'm looking at proximity searching using the TelPages API, with a map layout and potentially an optional Augmented Reality view.
    For all you guys out there with .tel domains, now might be the time to properly enter the location data as precisely as you can...[/size]

dottel.net06-08-2011 09:42 AM

fantastic - has the location now been added to the telpages api? (just following up on an offline conversation we had a couple of months ago).

henri06-08-2011 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dottel.net (Post 15180)
    fantastic - has the location now been added to the telpages api? (just following up on an offline conversation we had a couple of months ago).

[size]
    Not yet, but as far as native apps are concerned I have found it not to be an issue. Requesting the LOC records of 100 "points of interest" is incredibly fast. That doesn't mean we won't add the loc to the TelPages response itself, it's just that it's not the highest priority now. The other more important thing we need to do is allow for a proximity search in the simple query, not just the advanced query.[/size]

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)06-08-2011 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by henri (Post 15181)
    Not yet, but as far as native apps are concerned I have found it not to be an issue. Requesting the LOC records of 100 "points of interest" is incredibly fast. That doesn't mean we won't add the loc to the TelPages response itself, it's just that it's not the highest priority now. The other more important thing we need to do is allow for a proximity search in the simple query, not just the advanced query.

[size]

Ah Henri, waiting impatiently
    Mark[/size]

Simon G06-08-2011 01:47 PM

Quote:

[size]
    Would this be on the actual superbook app rather than contact directory?
    Also I have a small.. ish request. Would it be possible to add to the on device caching an option to capture a screenshot of a the google maps location? and linking with the caching. this would be fantastic for calling up directions/location when no signal/ running in flight mode.

Would you consider this?[/size]

henri06-08-2011 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon G (Post 15187)
    Would this be on the actual superbook app rather than contact directory?

[size]
    It will be in the superbook app. There are 2 levels of data storage:
    - the automatic superbook cache that captures the latest .tel data that was requested
    - the addressbook for when a user wants to store the .tel data in a more long-term and device-independent method.

Of course the addressbook save loses some of the .tel information, including location.

Quote:
    [/size]

Originally Posted by Simon G (Post 15187)
    Also I have a small.. ish request. Would it be possible to add to the on device caching an option to capture a screenshot of a the google maps location? and linking with the caching. this would be fantastic for calling up directions/location when no signal/ running in flight mode.

Would you consider this?

[size]
    Hmmm... I think that this is forbidden in the Google Maps terms of service. I could replace Google Maps with OpenStreetMaps or something else, but then (beyond the added work) people will be confused as to why Google Maps isn't used.
    Also note that Google does use a cache for its tiles, so in general if you've looked at an area lately it should still be in the cache.[/size]

Simon G06-08-2011 03:29 PM

Quote:

Hmmm... I think that this is forbidden in the Google Maps terms of service.

[size]
    You are quite right I should have thought of this.This is definately the case for the imagery, and most likely for the vector style mapping. While taking screenshots for quite a while on my phone it slipped my mind. Most mapping providers require business users to have a licence and or reference the source. Oh well wishful thinking.[/size]

boracay.tel06-09-2011 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by henri (Post 15188)

Of course the addressbook save loses some of the .tel information, including location.

[size]
    henri, maybe take a look at the new iOS5 contacts app for iphone and ipads. app auto-recognising and auto-creating a seperate data field (in the case of some of my .tel email addresses... its picking up on them and creating a new ".tel" named field and giving it a value of "domain.tel" which then clicks thru to "domain.tel")

I hope the community input is of help to telnic. 
    please pass this info along to Henri.
    (to speed things along)

also:

my.tel (iOS 5 beta) ipad2: working really really well
    my.tel (iOS 5 beta) iphone4: working poorly (crashing randomly in most text entry boxes)[/size]

henri06-14-2011 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boracay.tel (Post 15196)
    henri, maybe take a look at the new iOS5 contacts app for iphone and ipads. app auto-recognising and auto-creating a seperate data field (in the case of some of my .tel email addresses... its picking up on them and creating a new ".tel" named field and giving it a value of "domain.tel" which then clicks thru to "domain.tel")

I hope the community input is of help to telnic. 
    please pass this info along to Henri.
    (to speed things along)

also:

my.tel (iOS 5 beta) ipad2: working really really well
    my.tel (iOS 5 beta) iphone4: working poorly (crashing randomly in most text entry boxes)

[size]
    Thanks for the info, keep it coming.
    I'm looking right now at the iOS 5 SDK changes. The AddressBook stuff is, as usual, completely in flux and rather illogical. Nothing new there.
    I haven't installed the beta1 because it's way too buggy to be useful, but I'd be very interested to see why my.tel works so well on ipad2 and crashes on iphone4. Is it the same my.tel version?

Also I'm going to have to overhaul my.tel for iOS5 to possibly support global os-level accounts (so apps can share logging in to telhosting), replace my special field entry alert boxes with the new, finally usable, alert view, and possibly implement automatic geoloc to update at once the location and the address keywords.[/size]

Current date/time is 2024-05-12, 11:38 am