The .TEL Community on the .TEL Domain Forum!

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

Serious Question ... Henri ?

Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

Serious Question ... Henri ? Empty Serious Question ... Henri ?

Post by Telnic 2015-01-01, 12:29 pm

telrific06-23-2011 05:18 PM

Serious Question ... Henri ?

So, I don't know about everywhere else in the World,
    but here in the U.S. there is HUGE push concerning the "Cloud".

Of course, this simply means that there is "Remote" serving versus "Local" serving.

Remote meaning essentially "Someone Else's Hard Drive" and Local being "Your Hard Drive".

So, this comes up as the "Big News" today - Google Chromebook.

The "War" has begun for devices that are "Cloud Devices" and "Traditional Devices" ...

.... So, here's the question/point of this thread:

If everything "You" is stored in the "Cloud" it becomes very difficult to "Share" folders
    that might contain pictures, etc.

Couldn't a MAJOR selling point of .TEL be the ability to use the .TEL address like normal,
    but also create a Profile for "Friending" and "Open Authority" that included (certain) links to folders in the "Cloud" ?

Seems like another potential "Advanced, HOT Use" for .TEL -- "Cloud Sharing" Easily With .TEL ...

telrific06-23-2011 05:59 PM

To Clarify ...

I realize that sharing links to your "Cloud" might be the same as sharing a link to "Facebook", using Open Auth and/or Friending determining Public/Private Access, but to at least Identify the link using a "Cloud" Icon or still taking it further to tie-in with "Cloud" provider source code to prevent duplicate logins, etc. 

The "Cloud" is a silly term understandably, but it's not going away, so ... .TEL could take advantage of the term.

First iCloud, now Google ... .TEL could be the Cloud ID for all sharing !!!

Cees06-24-2011 08:20 AM

I wouldn't trust any sensitive info on a remote server (cloud)

tony mayo06-24-2011 09:44 AM

[QUOTE=telrific;Couldn't a MAJOR selling point of .TEL be the ability to use the .TEL address like normal,
    but also create a Profile for "Friending" and "Open Authority" that included (certain) links to folders in the "Cloud" ?

Seems like another potential "Advanced, HOT Use" for .TEL -- "Cloud Sharing" Easily With .TEL ...

:confused:[/QUOTE]

I agree.
    This is a huge opportunity for .tel - controlling and accessing 'My Data' in the Cloud.

boracay.tel06-24-2011 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony mayo (Post 15705)
    I agree.
    This is a huge opportunity for .tel - controlling and accessing 'My Data' in the Cloud.

[size]
    hmmm. not sure about that.

Im using icloud already and its a minefield/mystery about where things are flying around to. think of a modern-day multi-user database, except that each of your devices are the users, and the cloud is supposedly your "truth" that binds it all together (has the trusted latest??? data).

Its a complicated syncing nightmare as im witnessing so far....

not sure .tel wants to touch that.[/size]

henri06-24-2011 11:25 AM

.tel is all about discoverability.
    One way to use it is to let others discover how to contact you, where you publish your writings, your photos, etc...
    Another way is to remind yourself about things you might have forgotten or might need. For example, putting in a private subfolder your passport #, bank phone #, etc... for traveling. Or to remind yourself what services you use, by storing in a private subfolder login links to the forums you visit, etc...

As for the "cloud", they're all collections of services, some that are subscriber-facing (store my own data to recover, such as my songs) and others that are public-facing (publish a collection of documents to my friends). Direct access to each service depends on the cloud(s) you use, and whether it's allowed. In any case, .tel can be used to discover for your users (or yourself) what cloud services you're using.

As for unique icons, I don't think one should have one specific icon for a collection of disparate services in a cloud. In fact, I assume even Apple will use different versions of the iCloud icon in the different services it'll provide.

telrific06-24-2011 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by henri (Post 15707)
    ... In any case, .tel can be used to discover for your users (or yourself) what cloud services you're using.

[size]
    There's the point, I can provide easy access / discoverability to my cloud for my purposes.

There's not a quick way to share access / discoverability to my cloud for permission/friending purposes, that is "one access" to "my collection" for you.

All the "collections of services" offer individual ways (too many) to do it, but .TEL could add this "one address for life" principle to include the "Cloud" - a good selling point.

Quote:
    [/size]

As for unique icons, I don't think one should have one specific icon for a collection of disparate services in a cloud. In fact, I assume even Apple will use different versions of the iCloud icon in the different services it'll provide.

[size]
    Yes, there will likely be many and so they could end up as popular icons by provider.

(Just as with twitter, facebook, etc. icons on .TEL versus the "web globe" icon.)

Still, this is a "major" distinction, just like phone icons.

If a "Landline Telephone" and "Mobile Telephone" are worthy of separate icons even though
    they serve the same voice purpose, why not a distinction for "cloud" vs. "web" ?

The Cloud is essentially the web that is a "mobile phone" versus "landline phone"

.TEL could simply take advantage of this "reality" and provide a concept icon for clarity.

Just a thought on the icon, but the ability to "share your cloud" easily using .TEL is the bigger point to sell with.

:cool:[/size]

telrific06-24-2011 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boracay.tel (Post 15706)
    hmmm. not sure about that.

Im using icloud already and its a minefield/mystery about where things are flying around to. think of a modern-day multi-user database, except that each of your devices are the users, and the cloud is supposedly your "truth" that binds it all together (has the trusted latest??? data).

Its a complicated syncing nightmare as im witnessing so far....

not sure .tel wants to touch that.

[size]
    Therein lies the huge opportunity too, especially for "address consolidation" experts !

;)[/size]

henri06-24-2011 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by telrific (Post 15712)
    The Cloud is essentially the web that is a "mobile phone" versus "landline phone"
    .TEL could simply take advantage of this "reality" and provide a concept icon for clarity.

[size]
    Can you give me the rule for showing a cloud icon?
    I just don't think I've got the brains to figure that one out

H[/size]

telrific06-24-2011 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by henri (Post 15718)
    Can you give me the rule for showing a cloud icon?
    I just don't think I've got the brains to figure that one out

H

[size]
    There's no "rule" for facebook or twitter as a different web icon other than it's premise.

There's no "rule" for a telephone versus a fax as a different icon with the same number/address except for its premise.

The "rule" for a cloud is it's premise too. Semantics, but it helps identity !

P.S. - I don't think anyone questions your brain - It's the customer brain that's in question ![/size]

henri06-24-2011 06:24 PM

I meant:

"if service type == 'voice:tel' && hint == 'x-mobile' then show icon mobile"
    "if service type == 'voice:tel' && hint == 'x-work' then show icon work phone"
    "if service type starts with 'web:http' && url matches !^https?://[^/]*facebook.[^.]+/! then show icon facebook"
    etc...

(the regex for facebook is just a sample, I don't think that's what is used...)

telrific06-24-2011 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by henri (Post 15733)
    I meant:

"if service type == 'voice:tel' && hint == 'x-mobile' then show icon mobile"
    "if service type == 'voice:tel' && hint == 'x-work' then show icon work phone"
    "if service type starts with 'web:http' && url matches !^https?://[^/]*facebook.[^.]+/! then show icon facebook"
    etc...

(the regex for facebook is just a sample, I don't think that's what is used...)

[size]
    General or specific is relevent, understood.

Yes, the rule in a specific case would be provider based, i.e. iCloud, etc.
    (This was the reason for comments concerning pursuit of permission/access integration of popular Cloud service providers with .TEL - any icons accordingly)

(or)

The rule in a general case may be user defined, i.e. "Here's my Cloud link" with a single icon accordingly.
    (This would happen if a .TEL user wanted to provide immediate access to a shared folder that he or she setup access rules for given any cloud provider/ folder link etc.)

---------------------------------------

The whole thing is this, which I know you know, more for general forum benefit:

Regardless of the complexity involved, the simple formula always remains as a whole:

contentinput/device/address/delivery/address/device/outputcontent

This is either repeated endlessly,

or consolidated, which is the premise of .TEL

content/input/device/address/ T /delivery/ T /address/device/outputcontent
    content/input/device/address/ E /delivery/ E /address/device/outputcontent
    content/input/device/address/ L /delivery/ L /address/device/outputcontent

So, .TEL is the "Cloud" provider of Address Management - regardless of device or content.

The PROBLEM is that now the "Cloud" provider wants to be the .TEL that includes content.

They will give away a free .CLD address with space that includes "everything" in appearance.

One of them will integrate with Facebook to be the PAGE and BOOK that is DESIRED for everything without a "sidestep" using .TEL

.TEL and TELPAGES should always be the chosen start, not .CLD and/or Facebook !

But, this means that the "Address Management Experts" should include Content Addressing that includes the "Cloud" providers to some extent !

I know that the "Rules" aren't there, but a general recognition, followed by a specific for the "Cloud" and "everything" content providers will likely be something that should not to be missed is all !

.TEL is already a "limited sidestep" of duplicity in the minds of millions.

An opportunity for .TEL to be the .CLD by working with Cloud Providers towards the "rules" might be wise is all I was thinking.

:o[/size]

telrific06-24-2011 08:10 PM

Ultimately,

.TEL can be the starting point for every device and all content as a "light-weight" address proxy page - this in contrast to a .COM and all content as a "heavy-weight" address proxy page.

This of course has always been the intent of .TEL - a "light profile page to more" rather than a "heavy content page to less".

The problem is that the "less is more" (at least to begin with) isn't getting through.

The other problem is that the "profile page" is undesireable and there's no good "book"
    (That is the message of "all your addresses in one place" is critical, but Telnic doesn't "eat their own cooking" (as they say around here), and follow suit with the TelPages concept being just as critical for .tel addresses.

The "Cloud" icon or "individual provider integration rules" will just help like the facebook and twitter icons, and open auth and friending. Popular is obviously of value to the Telnic team, so popular and content should probably be watched closely as well.

wibblenut06-24-2011 08:59 PM

I've read this entire thread and I'm still not sure what you're asking for.

telrific06-24-2011 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wibblenut (Post 15745)
    I've read this entire thread and I'm still not sure what you're asking for.

[size]
    This is not meant to be demeaning, just for clarity:

If I go to susie.tel, I get public and/or private data for susie.

If I use any of susie's links, I end up "somewhere".

One very popular "somewhere" today is a "new" place called the "Cloud".

(This is of course not new, but a concept for marketing and simplicity)

The "Cloud" might be a "somewhere" like iCloud by Apple.

Again, not new technology so much, but a new concept that is very popular today and growing.

Now, Susie can put a link to her iCloud account and manage her cloud from susie.tel

The problem seems to be that "Cloud Sharing", or something Susie wants to share with others.

Using Open Auth and/or Friending, Susie may be able to isolate and share seemlessly with Mom or her friend Tommy.

Using a Cloud Icon on her .TEL, she may at least be able to show Mom and Tommy where her Cloud shared folder link is, so that they can log in to see her shared "Cloud Stuff".

Either way, the Cloud concept and sharing via .TEL will be something to keep up with.

That's all.

:o[/size]

wibblenut06-24-2011 09:34 PM

OAuth is already supported, but I'm not sure what that has to do with an iCloud icon?

Incidentally, perhaps there's a way to enable people to use custom icons. We could reserve a subdomain like _icons.domain.tel that contains a mapping between keys and icon URIs, and then use a new service type like x-icon:key to specify their use in other records. The downside is an extra lookup, but it could be optional - for clients, as well as the domain owner to specify whether or not _icons can be queried. Just an idea.

telrific06-24-2011 09:34 PM

So, for example ( I hope this page loads for all)

Symantec saw/sees the need and is adopting a single user interface for the "Cloud"

Article

There are others of course, and various reasons for addressing the "Cloud", are we ?

telrific06-24-2011 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wibblenut (Post 15748)
    OAuth is already supported, but I'm not sure what that has to do with an iCloud icon?

Incidentally, perhaps there's a way to enable people to use custom icons. We could reserve a subdomain like _icons.domain.tel that contains a mapping between keys and icon URIs, and then use a new service type like x-icon:key to specify their use in other records. The downside is an extra lookup, but it could be optional - for clients, as well as the domain owner to specify whether or not _icons can be queried. Just an idea.

[size]
    I know the custom icon was something mentioned in the past, must still be on the table somewhere.

Quote:
    [/size]

Using a Cloud Icon on her .TEL, she may at least be able to show Mom and Tommy where her Cloud shared folder link is, so that they can log in to see her shared "Cloud Stuff".

[size]
    A cloud icon would obviously be used for quick id just like a telephone icon or email icon.

Cloud will obviously be needed for quick id to shared resources before "custom" ...

It's another thing that will be a "basic" icon in the future, regardless of provider.

I could put a provider for my phone, mobile, email, fax ... but basic is less confusing obviously.

;)[/size]

wibblenut06-24-2011 10:04 PM

I still don't get it. "Cloud" is just a marketing buzzword wholly meaningless by itself, and as such can't be classed as a distinct service type.

mikeseaton06-24-2011 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by telrific (Post 15747)
    If I go to susie.tel, I get public and/or private data for susie.

If I use any of susie's links, I end up "somewhere".

[size]
    If you click the link on Susie.tel you end up here - seriously Telrific the idea of a cloud icon is a good idea with all the current emphasis on cloud computing (and Apple's forthcoming Autumn/Fall iCloud launch).

If it's not possible to generate the icon automatically it could always be a manual selection in the CTH - so in Contact Information selecting "Cloud Page" instead of "Web Page" would generate the cloud icon rather than the globe icon.

A question for Telnic - why does Yahoo have an automatically generated icon but Bing and Google do not (see http://searches.mikeseaton.tel) ?

Mike Seaton[/size]
    Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

Serious Question ... Henri ? Empty Re: Serious Question ... Henri ?

Post by Telnic 2015-01-01, 12:29 pm

telrific06-25-2011 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wibblenut (Post 15751)
    I still don't get it. "Cloud" is just a marketing buzzword wholly meaningless by itself, and as such can't be classed as a distinct service type.

[size]
    Commonly accepted definition:

Cloud computing refers to the use and access of multiple server-based computational resources via a digital network ... 

Apparently it can when classified as a "group" versus a "single" server-based resource offering.

The Cloud icon would represent a "single" link to a "group" of server-based resources.

Kind of like .TEL is a "single" icon representing a service type that is a "group" of server-based resource addresses.

The "Cloud" service type (properly recognized) is as unique as the ".TEL" service type is unique to domain names.

If semantics is an issue then .TEL doesn't make any sense either.

;)[/size]

Aled06-27-2011 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeseaton (Post 15752)

A question for Telnic - why does Yahoo have an automatically generated icon but Bing and Google do not (seehttp://searches.mikeseaton.tel) ?

Mike Seaton

[size]
    Mike, when we introduced the icons that are currently shown we tried to include those that individuals and businesses were using to share information about themselves. This is obviously a fast moving area and there are icons that we are planning to add to the list. With regards to Yahoo showing, but Bing and Google not, I should clarify that the intention of the Yahoo icon was with regards to the profile sharing that people do with Yahoo, not with regards to linking to search results e.g. - http://mailing-postal.tel/. I'm not sure that there are many practical implications for people to link to search results from their .tel?

You can see the full list of current icons in use at http://icons.yourname.tel/.[/size]

wibblenut06-27-2011 01:38 PM

@Aled - There are Google Profiles and other such things that people may link to though.

But more importantly, could we please have a feed icon for RSS and Atom?

Aled06-27-2011 02:10 PM

We can take a look at it, wibblenuit, but you're talking about different logic there to the icons that are currently shown depending on the url address inserted. With those it would be a different type of contact record, or at least an additional parameter to indicate that the web link is such a feed.

wibblenut06-27-2011 02:17 PM

Yep, I guess we need service types for x-rss and x-atom. Or x-feed, but that's less descriptive and not as helpful for service discovery.

mikeseaton06-27-2011 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aled (Post 15813)
    We can take a look at it, wibblenuit, but you're talking about different logic there to the icons that are currently shown depending on the url address inserted.

[size]
    Aled, re different icon for RSS Feeds, FeedBurner (owned by Google) is used extensively on the internet for these feeds - seehttp://feeds.feedburner.com/mikeseaton - do Telnic consider it sufficiently widespread for a FeedBurner icon to be added, using the current URL recognition logic, to the other ones on http://icons.yourname.tel ?

Mike Seaton[/size]

Current date/time is 2024-05-16, 10:01 pm