The .TEL Community on the .TEL Domain Forum!

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

Google Chrome .tel Extension

Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

Google Chrome .tel Extension Empty Google Chrome .tel Extension

Post by Telnic 2015-01-02, 3:15 am

ArthurGuy03-18-2010 11:41 PM

Google Chrome .tel Extension

Hi,
    I have just published an extension for Google Chrome that will scan and alert you if the page your viewing has a .tel domain on it, it will then make the information easily viewable from the page your currently on.

http://bit.ly/91DZ7k

If anyone has any feedback I would love to hear it.

Thanks
    Arthur

ArthurGuy.co.uk

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)03-18-2010 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArthurGuy (Post 7073)
    Hi,
    If anyone has any feedback I would love to hear it.
    ArthurGuy.co.uk

[size]
    Nice. Does the extension use DNS records and do you do extensions for Firefox ?
    Mark[/size]

ArthurGuy03-18-2010 11:55 PM

The extension pulls the information from a page on my website which gets its information from the DNS records.
    I haven't made a firefox extension yet but I plan to do one at some point.
    There are a lot more for firefox than for chrome so one may exist already.

Arthur

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)03-19-2010 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArthurGuy (Post 7077)
    The extension pulls the information from a page on my website which gets its information from the DNS records.
    I haven't made a firefox extension yet but I plan to do one at some point.
    There are a lot more for firefox than for chrome so one may exist already.

Arthur

[size]
    The reason I ask is because I'd like to help create a firefox extension to fill out a web form by using the information in the DNS. So the extension would have a button [Fill from .TEL] and when a .tel is supplied, the name, address, phone etc are copied from the DNS and into the form by matching common variable names. It would be a cool app to create and share with the community. I already use DNS to populate the database at www.telsites.info and have a dns-to-xml tool here for testing ... 
    www.mytel.me/dns/tel-dns-to-xml.php?d=justin.tel
    I just dont have enough time to figure out FF extensions.

Mark[/size]

ArthurGuy03-19-2010 12:29 AM

That sounds like a really cool extension, way outside of what I could do but it would be handy.
    There doesn't seem to be a rigid structure to the .tel dns records for addresses so it might be difficult finding that successfully although I see you managed it in your xml file. I might need to take a more detailed look at the dns records and there specifications.

As for the xml api that would be very useful, I was thinking of trying something myself after having a lot of trouble figuring out the php examples for accessing the dns records.

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)03-19-2010 12:57 AM

I use PHP for everything I do with TEL. I have to find time for more DNS to XML exploration and not for the extension coding but can help you with testing. If you want to explore the FF extension we can share the glory as it would really make .tel more popular. I'm sure that Telnic would even help with a press release to show another versatile use for TEL. This would be a win-win for everyone.
    Mark

ArthurGuy03-23-2010 11:14 AM

Hi everyone,
    I have ported my .tel Chrome extension to FireFox and would really appreciate it if one or two of you could try it for me.

http://bit.ly/cRR2FL

Thanks,
    Arthur

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)03-23-2010 12:15 PM

What's the name of the extension?
    Mark

ArthurGuy03-23-2010 12:24 PM

.tel Info

My previous link should take you to it.

Thanks for giving it a try and please let me know if you have any problems or suggestions.

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)03-23-2010 01:03 PM

It's installed, restarted FF. I see icon in bottom bar but when I go to a page with a .tel link, for example www.kprobe.com links to kprobe.tel the icon doesnt light up to let me see tel info.
    Mark

ArthurGuy03-23-2010 01:09 PM

I initially had to add the icon to the top bar manually by going to View > Toolbars > Customise
    There should also be a tiny icon in the status bar at the bottom, is this one not showing?
    What version of firefox are you using and does the add-on manger show it as being installed?

The extension only scans visible text so it detects one on your website but it picks up the visible link text rather than the hidden .tel url.

JLouisBiz03-23-2010 02:29 PM

Very nice looking, I like it. It discovers TEL domain on the page and shows to the user.

Here is place where you can debug your stuff: http://stupid.tel-4.com/ as it wrongly identifies some domains and links will not work (header). Some work on regular expressions is required yet.

You should remove "icon" appearing as link. 

Contact me privately for business.

ArthurGuy03-23-2010 02:39 PM

I am aware of the problem of it identifying names which aren't actual .tel addresses but unless I try and fetch data from each address to confirm its validity there is no way to avoid this.
    I might change the code to identify .tel addresses in urls as well but if someone writes a .tel address on a page that doesn't exist it will show up and there is nothing I can do to avoid this.

What do you mean by the icon appearing as a link?

Thanks
    Arthur

JLouisBiz03-23-2010 03:50 PM

Hello Arthur, 

I am truly happy that you made an extension. 

Here is what I mean with the icon:
    http://arthurguy.co.uk/tel_lookup.ph...n=thetabiz.tel

You can see:
    Other 1
    www.thetabiz.com/images/logo-96x96.png
    Other 1 (THETABIZ S.A.)
    www.thetabiz.com/images/logo-96x96.png

As the icon shall appear in the proxy somewhere on the top left corner, as a small image rather than a link.

Or this one:
    http://arthurguy.co.uk/tel_lookup.ph...n=populate.tel

Where the icon appears as:

Other 1 ( )
    http://www.telvisitors.com/tvc.php?u...r-Populate.png

Regarding finding of TELs, of course, you can change a regular expres​sion(var re = /\b[a-zA-Z.:/0-9]+\.tel\b/gi;) to match better the URLs.

For example: on this website http://stupid.tel-4.com it finds: fights.stupid.tel, which does not exist. 

Stupid Fights

stupid-fights.stupid.tel

You see, it parses: stupid-fights.stupid.tel as "fights.stupid.tel". And I think you shall find rather links not the names of the links, basically that what is within href="", instead what is within tags.

Now, the next thing you can put into the extension would be implementation of a link: "Add to Google Contacts" -- because then you could parse the contact information, and add it to Google Contacts. Isn't that most logical thing to do? It could then save the URL, the personal address, business address, into the Google Contacts. It is just a link on your proxy.

Consider making also other connections to CRM systems, such as SugarCRM -- you will have plenty of new people downloading your extension, as then they can load TEL contact into their CRM system. 

It is better to have major CRM systems as drop down menu in the extension, rather then making single separate extensions for various CRMs.

nadya03-23-2010 03:56 PM

A minor request: in future, could the extensions support non-ascii domain names? try nadya.tel, and you'll get the xn--- view instead of the russian text. 

Also, why do some images show ok, while others don't resize and show as "Other 1"? When you click "view full size image" you see a small enough graphic, but the one shown in the list of contacts is not it. try telnic.tel

Do you think moving the image up in the list of contacts would be helpful? It's often a logo or other info, so seeing it right away rather than at the end of a directory listing would help.

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)03-23-2010 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArthurGuy (Post 7269)
    I initially had to add the icon to the top bar manually by going to View > Toolbars > Customise
    There should also be a tiny icon in the status bar at the bottom, is this one not showing?
    What version of firefox are you using and does the add-on manger show it as being installed?

The extension only scans visible text so it detects one on your website but it picks up the visible link text rather than the hidden .tel url.

[size]
    Works now. Had to drag it to the tool bar at top. Was only at bottom of page.
    Are you reading directly from the DNS?
    Mark[/size]

ArthurGuy03-23-2010 04:20 PM

Thanks for the feedback regarding the images, at present the display page looks for any url beginning gravatar.com and if found displays it as an image otherwise it just shows the Other text and a link.

I implemented it this way because my .tel provider only allows gravatar images and I assumed this was the case for everyone. I will get it updated to better identify images and display them correctly.

I was going to try and place images at the top but at the time I didn't have time to identify and separate the images properly so I left it out. I will be making this change, hopefully in the next few days.

JLouisBiz
    I see what you mean about messing up the domain, I appear to have missed the - from the search term.
    I will update it to scan for any links present on the page but I am not going to remove the ability to identify .tel addresses in plane text, I think the benefits out way the odd times a .tel address is listed but doesn't exist.

Importing the records into different contacts systems is a nice idea, I will look into this.

Nadya
    Non-ascii domain names isn't something I am that familiar with but leave it with me and I will do my best

Thanks for all your feedback

ArthurGuy03-23-2010 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Kolb (Kprobe) (Post 7278)
    Are you reading directly from the DNS?

[size]
    Yes and no, the extension pulls up a webpage in an iframe, that web page then pulls the information from the dns records[/size]

JLouisBiz03-23-2010 04:52 PM

Sure, it shall look for text .TEL domains as well. 

For non-ascii domains, look into Punycode on Internet, and find some convertor. I am using simple punycode function in Perl, but for Javascript and PHP, you have to search on Internet. it is important for Russian and Arabian and many other Unicode based TEL domains.

Don't search for gravatar at all in your PHP, search for the service:
    E2U+x-photo:http

And extract the image link from the regular expression from DNS:
    thetabiz.tel has NAPTR record 101 127 "u" "E2U+x-photo:http+x-lbl:THETABIZ-S.A." "!^.*$!http://www.thetabiz.com/images/logo-96x96.png!"

JLouisBiz03-23-2010 05:12 PM

We have now a big reason to embed TEL domain within every page of our website.

Embed your TEL to be found!
    Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

Google Chrome .tel Extension Empty Re: Google Chrome .tel Extension

Post by Telnic 2015-01-02, 3:16 am

nadya03-23-2010 07:35 PM

Thanks for your contribution, http://www.telnic.org/blog/2010/03/2...ustomers-time/

jaypaudyal03-25-2010 07:16 AM

Useful tool

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArthurGuy (Post 7265)
    Hi everyone,
    I have ported my .tel Chrome extension to FireFox and would really appreciate it if one or two of you could try it for me.

http://bit.ly/cRR2FL

Thanks,
    Arthur

[size]
    It was really a good and useful tool for internet users.[/size]

ArthurGuy03-25-2010 07:56 PM

I have updated the Chrome and Firefox extensions to suport domains with hyphens in the name as well as addresses that are in links but not on the page.

If anyone spots any bugs please let me know.

Thanks,
    Arthur

JLouisBiz03-25-2010 07:58 PM

OK let me test it.

JLouisBiz03-25-2010 08:05 PM

Well I have re-installed Google Chrome extension, and now it does not work correctly.

This one: a0.webproxy.nic.tel you shall remove completely, because it is proxy, not a domain that belongs to people.

On this domain: http://stupid.tel-4.com 

I get following displayed:

stupid.tel | Mistakestupid-mistake.stupid.tel | promotions.telnic.tel | scotland.scottish.tel | museums.iskusstvo.tel | outdoors.scottish.tel | theater.iskusstvo.tel | rakudo.welcome-to.tel | 

And that "mistake" above does not exist on the page. 

By the way, I think it is little too much, to show ALL TELs which it finds on the page, don't you think so? 

And icon is still showing as "Other 1":

Other 1
    4.bp.blogspot.com/_oFN5FV7ka95v3I/AAAAAAAAB3g/JDjhM4Hq16g/s400/049_pics.jpg

Icons shall be removed from the page, or correctly displayed.

ArthurGuy03-25-2010 08:34 PM

Hi, thanks for the feedback.

It seems to be including the proceeding text in with the domain but it only looks like its happening for the one domain, it is also incorrectly detecting one of the url addresses; I will investigate and fix asap.

Limiting the number of addresses returned is on my list and will hopefully be in the next update.

As for the display of the information I am currently rewriting the whole page, this should be done next week.

Thanks

ArthurGuy03-26-2010 02:46 PM

I have fixed the main issues affecting the identification of addresses but the new method is more resource intensive so I have had to disable the detection of addresses in plane text in the FireFox version.
    The Chrome extension picks up .tel addresses in links and those in plane text while the firefox version only picks up addresses in links.
    I hope to come up with a better solution soon.

Thanks

JLouisBiz03-26-2010 03:50 PM

If the page has more than 2-3 TEL domains, those domains are probably not contact information of that website. Limiting might spare resource usage.

RonMunson03-28-2010 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Kolb (Kprobe) (Post 7079)
    The reason I ask is because I'd like to help create a firefox extension to fill out a web form by using the information in the DNS. So the extension would have a button [Fill from .TEL] and when a .tel is supplied, the name, address, phone etc are copied from the DNS and into the form by matching common variable names. It would be a cool app to create and share with the community. I already use DNS to populate the database at www.telsites.info and have a dns-to-xml tool here for testing ... 
    www.mytel.me/dns/tel-dns-to-xml.php?d=justin.tel
    I just dont have enough time to figure out FF extensions.

Mark

[size]
    Very cool. Someone is going to build it. I'm excited to see the results.[/size]

Current date/time is 2024-05-11, 7:31 pm