The .TEL Community on the .TEL Domain Forum!

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

Enhancements

Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

Enhancements Empty Enhancements

Post by Telnic 2015-01-02, 5:04 am

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)09-09-2012 04:45 PM

Enhancements

I've asked Alex at TelTalk to start a focused thread for enhancements. I'm using TelTalk to show other readers that there are positive aspects to the .tel community elsewhere. Feel free to join in with your suggestions.
    Mark

Blunderer09-10-2012 04:01 PM

Mark,

As to enhancements, then it is still the enabling of about 10 images and a video to be added through the CTH - different ones for each sub domain. The addition of a background image would also be good. The alternative would be for Telnames Ltd to add provision for about 15 sub folders, to cater for smallish businesses that have a varied product/service range.

I think we need to harmonise the old with the new (.tel/Telnames) so that customers can be sold the most appropriate product for them. It would be helpful if Telnic, through Telnames Ltd., ran an AVR package which included both versions. 

With regard to TelPages, I'm content to let Telnic develop it to suit THEIR vision. That's what I bought in to - although there is room for improvement (search for "bike devon" ).

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)09-10-2012 04:30 PM

So increase the number of images shown on the right to 10 (from 2)?
    15 subfolders under telnames - can you see their benefits, eg SEO, Testimonials, Product lists, what else?
    What's AVR?

I see the bike devon issue. Free text search only. Could be solved when TP searches NAPTR records instead of just the heading or freetext. Content within NAPTR records and address keywords should give priority over free text. As good as Henri made TP, we have learned a lot since then.

Mark

Blunderer09-10-2012 09:03 PM

Any display of images and video on a .tel site should now match that of a Telname site (we can't uninvent it), and the upload facility must be available through the CTH so that the features are available, and easily usable, by business users and individuals, at the start.

We are now caught in the middle of the highly functional but dull .tel, and the highly attractive but monofunctional Telnames. They are both good, but limited. They need to be brought closer together - in terms of corporate identity, be capable of being marketed as "big" and "small" versions of the same facility, and be available side by side, not one type from supplier A and the other type from supplier B.

Looking at the businesses listed here http://accommodation.tiverton.tel/ and the diversity of their own websites, which tel site version would you suggest they use? We have nothing to offer most of them that would save them the expense of a web site, yet we are not far away from providing a comprehensive solution - for larger and smaller businesses. This includes the facility for sub directory listings for those not interested in owner/management (a lot!).

http://georgehotelsouthmolton.tel is the best example of a highly motivated, and competent business proprietor's effort with a Telname site, and take a look at their website. With fifteen sub domains they could do away with their website completely, and if more small businesses saw the benefit of moving their web presence onto a more attractive and usable .tel based mobile optimized platform maybe it would encourage some of the bigger companies to revisit .tel.

Regarding the TelPages comment, rather than focus on the search function, which seems to do it's job, the content could stand some scrutiny, particularly from the point of view of someone in Devon, enthused by recent Olympic successes, and requiring a Bike.

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)09-10-2012 09:35 PM

I think the issue of images on pro .TEL requires Telnic to support hosting of images in order to control performance. I agree that CTH needs to facilitate the existing image ads and videos. Background images would be an asset but do you think they will help sell more .TEL's? If so, we have to sell the benefits to Telnic.

For the businesses that have placed ad's on your site, we have a quandry. The minimalist approach of Telnames seems most suitable, yet some would require more than that. To support those with more requirements, would warrant an image gallery. However I have been able to overcome that limitation with some of my domains by overstuffing the 250x250 ad slots and providing external photo sharing site links. Not perfect of course. But selling them their own .Tel (whichever) and linking to it is what I would do.

Comprehensive Telnames sites like George Hotel do seem to show that a bit more structure through use of subdomains would help with their organization. As per a suggestion on Teltalk, a possibly better approach would be through use of menu navigation to subdomains. So instead of a vertical list of links to subdomains via GoTo's, use a horizontal menu of goto links, either at top or bottom. This currently applies only to the pro .TEL sites but if subdomains ever surfaced on Telnames, that approach mirrors what is found on all websites.

I haven't visited Telpages structure lately so am looking to see what others will add to the ongoing discussions. But certainly content selection needs improvement.

Mark

dialaroom09-11-2012 08:08 PM

Not sure my opinion would be welcome,as I think the best way to improve .tel would be to remove all adds images, videos, templates etc. .tel is a business card, not a glossy brochure, for that you can use any other domain type. 

I have the fastest, mobile friendly way to deliver contact information to everyones mobile device with .tel 

I also have everything on teltalks enhancement list and lots lots more it just has a different suffix, and there are plenty to choose from. 

The best web site designers spend their entire life learning web design to make some truly professional, amazing web sites that are made to last. No matter how good your flat pack furniture is, it will never be a Chippendale.

My advice, buy yourself some hosting, choose another domain, lets face it there will soon be plenty to choose from, spend several years teaching yourself web design or better still hire a professional and you can have whatever you want. 

You can't honestly tell me that you expect Telnic to deliver all the things this teltalk thread is asking for for £10 a year. I bet you all spend a lot more than that on business cards a year.

tindaya09-11-2012 09:53 PM

wil be interesting if we can put only one time the logo. you can select only one logo for all pages, or diferents logos

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)09-11-2012 09:55 PM

@tindaya, yes I have asked for that feature several times, makes a lot of sense but appears to require too much code.
    Mark

Sumerlin09-12-2012 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dialaroom (Post 25574)
    Not sure my opinion would be welcome,as I think the best way to improve .tel would be to remove all adds images, videos, templates etc. .tel is a business card, not a glossy brochure, for that you can use any other domain type. 

I have the fastest, mobile friendly way to deliver contact information to everyones mobile device with .tel 

I also have everything on teltalks enhancement list and lots lots more it just has a different suffix, and there are plenty to choose from. 

The best web site designers spend their entire life learning web design to make some truly professional, amazing web sites that are made to last. No matter how good your flat pack furniture is, it will never be a Chippendale.

My advice, buy yourself some hosting, choose another domain, lets face it there will soon be plenty to choose from, spend several years teaching yourself web design or better still hire a professional and you can have whatever you want. 

You can't honestly tell me that you expect Telnic to deliver all the things this teltalk thread is asking for for £10 a year. I bet you all spend a lot more than that on business cards a year.

[size]
    That would be the end of .tel[/size]

dialaroom09-12-2012 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sumerlin (Post 25580)
    That would be the end of .tel

[size]
    Or a new beginning.[/size]

dialaroom09-12-2012 07:39 PM

Does anyone here seriously believe Telnic can deliver anything like the wishlist on teltalk, they would bankrupt themselves even at 5 times the current fee. 

If you do your living in cloud cuckoo land.

boracay.tel09-22-2012 04:45 AM

give .tel parent or top window a name

I've asked Henri about this 1 year ago or more...he said they would likely include that with a smile

This is specifically in regards to how currently imageAds links are forced to open a new window. by naming the .tel parent/top window...then any script and links that occur in the newly opened window, can then refer there action back to the .tel window

On a seperate not:
    (i believe .tel links in imageAds should be amended for .tel referenced links to open into the .tel top/parent window regardless)

Geo09-27-2012 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dialaroom (Post 25583)
    Does anyone here seriously believe Telnic can deliver anything like the wishlist on teltalk, they would bankrupt themselves even at 5 times the current fee. 

If you do your living in cloud cuckoo land.

[size]
    Really? Look at all the free stuff that Google, Facebook, and others offer... and what they're worth now. Telnic has to think outside of their original box. I liked the original video of the blonde on the train platform looking up Ben.tel on her smart phone. But the reality is that people want to engage online - the connection process itself is the target here, not just completing the connection. To that end, it's not just about the blonde finding Ben's contact info... in order to engage with him... it's about engaging with him right there on his Ben.tel website. 

First of all, a big part of a domain online is for people to find you first and then to decide if they want to contact you or connect in person. What if the blonde in the ad didn't first see Ben in the train? What if she found him first through a Google or Telpages search? What would Ben.tel be able to offer in the way of showing off who Ben was, to differentiate him from the other guys on the virtual train?

This is where people want their Tel to be able to show off photos, videos, and other content, that not only expresses information, but also creativity and personality. It becomes a powerful branding tool. At the same time, content features prominently in terms of search engines, and being found. I think Telnic already recognizes this fact, but it appears that they are afraid to go the distance. Thus we still have a half-baked cake.

If Telnic is afraid to commit to the kind of development required to complete the product, then it's like trying to swim in 6 inches of water, just to avoid drowning... what's the point then of trying to swim?[/size]

dialaroom10-01-2012 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geo (Post 25684)
    If Telnic is afraid to commit to the kind of development required to complete the product, then it's like trying to swim in 6 inches of water, just to avoid drowning... what's the point then of trying to swim?

[size]
    You can use all the similes, metaphors, allegories etc. everyone seems to like on here. A business is measured by return on investment. No business is afraid to commit to development. It's all about the bottom line.

When I bought .tel it was a fine sharp scalpel, I wanted a fine sharp scalpel. Others who bought it, really wanted a swiss army knife. So rather than trade it in, they keep begging for blades to be added, (even that bit for removing stones from horses hooves). 

The point being
    Extra blades reduce the bottom line and dull the scalpel.

The result being, you guessed it "Telnames" or in the terms of the above metaphor "Toy Penknife"[/size]

Geo10-03-2012 07:16 AM

Dialaroom,

I never metaphor I didn't like.

The bottom line here is not what Telnic wants, but what the public wants. Question is does Tel provide a solution to a problem people have? Does it serve their needs and wants? Take this forum as a sampling, and you'll get your answer.

I think that Telnic needs to think boldly where no registry has gone before... think outside of the box, and do what it needs to go viral. Sure, we're in an economic downturn, but even in the midst thereof we find that mobile web and social networking are exploding. Tel is well positioned to capitalize on both, but it's missing the boat... sadly.

Adapt or die - that's the reality of business, and nowhere more sharply felt than in the rapidly evolving internet world. 

Therefore I say to Telnic: expand your horizons and evolve your vision, and get other investors / partners on board to finance more development, and make big dreams come true for everyone. Tel was a good idea, whose time may pass unfulfilled if it doesn't catch on with the public in a big way. 

Question is how to capture the public's attention and buy-in?

dottel.net10-03-2012 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dialaroom (Post 25711)
    When I bought .tel it was a fine sharp scalpel, I wanted a fine sharp scalpel.

[size]
    For the record - I'm with you on this.....[/size]

dialaroom10-03-2012 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geo (Post 25719)
    Dialaroom, 

Question is how to capture the public's attention and buy-in?

[size]
    My point is purely,
    anyone wanting all these things can already get them with any hosted domain, other than .tel.
    And with all the new Tld's coming soon, .tel won't get a look in. 

We need to concentrate on what's unique about .tel not how we can make it the same as every other tld.

Metaphors be with you!:)[/size]

TELcp10-03-2012 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tindaya (Post 25575)
    wil be interesting if we can put only one time the logo. you can select only one logo for all pages, or diferents logos

[size]
    Did you mean a recursive logo?
    If so, it is possible with the present system.

If you or someone really needs this we can add it to TELcp.
    We have already done this long time ago for our network.

++++[/size]

Geo10-04-2012 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dialaroom (Post 25725)
    My point is purely,
    anyone wanting all these things can already get them with any hosted domain, other than .tel.
    And with all the new Tld's coming soon, .tel won't get a look in. 

We need to concentrate on what's unique about .tel not how we can make it the same as every other tld.

Metaphors be with you!:)

[size]
    Yes, but with Tel people don't need hosting... just plug and play. Is there any other domain that offers that out of the box? What I'm saying is that Telnic should leverage that unique feature of Tel and really make it useful and attractive; that will draw people to Tel. Then, and only then, after critical mass is reached, can Tel reach it's true potential as a replacement for telephone numbers. 

Apparently there's not much need for scalpels out there. But everyone I show Tel to likes the idea of a quick and easy website out of the box. Trouble is it's not fully baked and as easy as it needs to be yet. 

What I'm referring to in now way conflicts with the original Tel concept; it only leverages it and provides a way to fully realize its potential. It can be a scalpel to you or a swiss army knife to me; it doesn't have to be an either or proposition.[/size]

dottel.net10-04-2012 12:28 AM

do you mean offerings like google blogger or wordpress 'out of the box' websites that can actually be hosted on your own domain of choice? Oh and it's also mobile optimised out of the box too...
    Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

Enhancements Empty Re: Enhancements

Post by Telnic 2015-01-02, 5:04 am

Geo10-04-2012 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dottel.net (Post 25754)
    do you mean offerings like google blogger or wordpress 'out of the box' websites that can actually be hosted on your own domain of choice? Oh and it's also mobile optimised out of the box too...

[size]
    Exactly... Now you're talking. Wordpress boasts 56 million sites around the world, and growing. 

People can plug and play with Wordpress.com or they can install Wordpress on their own host and tweak it to their hearts delight. There's no limit on potential features or templates, and has even spawned a whole industry around it. 

I'm not saying that Tel should aspire to replace Wordpress, but to learn from its success. There's room for new players, and Tel offers something quite distinct from Wordpress - that is the DNS formatted records that can be integrated into mobile directories and apps... when the time and demand comes. But first get tens of millions on board.[/size]

Current date/time is 2024-05-17, 12:52 am