The .TEL Community on the .TEL Domain Forum!

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

.tel plug in for Wordpress

Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

.tel plug in for Wordpress Empty .tel plug in for Wordpress

Post by Telnic 2015-01-02, 7:42 am

Triton NW08-06-2010 06:22 PM

.tel plug in for Wordpress

Has anyone tried this plug in? I have a great application for it in my blog if it works. I have had trouble getting it to work properly. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

dotteler08-07-2010 01:03 PM

I will just say that integrating .tel with wordpress seems impossible with the bunch around here. Between asking developers I work with, mentioning many times in the forum, and trying to get the telmasters guys to look at it, I'm still left with using the iframe. 
    I even asked automattic (owns WP) what might help with integrating the gravatar process with our signup process, and about integrating the .tel info. as the contact us page on WP. They're intrigued.
    So, what does it take to get someone to do an integration, versus an iframe, so that the information can be 'embedded' within the blog versus just iframed.
    I believe it would be a great benefit. Just like I'm using .tel right now as the contact us on http://gumblasters.co/ (look at the footer, also, where I have some .tel contact too)

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)08-07-2010 03:53 PM

Maybe Telnic can convert the embedded iframe code into a single Javascript tag so that it includes all the CSS formatting and builds it nicely, constrained by a couple of parameters like size. I just don't have the time right now to investigate. Could be that it needs to run in an iframe because of browser security. I think the only way it can be built to run outside of an iframe is to host the javascript on your own server.
    Mark

nadya08-09-2010 09:47 PM

There are some blogs using the plugin, like Telnic's blog. It wasn't easy to set up, but quite doable. I'll try and dig out instructions on how we did it, please bear with me.

dotteler08-10-2010 03:14 PM

The little logo box as contact us, very nice: how can we? http://static.ow.ly/photos/normal/37KU.jpg

dotteler08-10-2010 03:32 PM

Why interest in WP?:
    This is a collection of stats from around WordPress that we’ve decided to share with the world because there’s no good reason not to.

There are over 25 million WordPress publishers as of June 2010: 11.4 million blogs hosted on WordPress.com plus 13.8 million active installations of the WordPress.org software.

The following numbers are for WordPress.com hosted blogs only – they do not count self-hosted WordPress.org blogs (because we can measure WordPress.com blogs using our own stats system, whereas self-hosted WordPress installations use a variety of their own systems to track their stats).

dotteler08-11-2010 03:06 PM

I think this could be the real 'check the pulse' of .tel, period. If telnic can't manage to produce a simple, easy to use integration tool for embedding .tel information on wordpress (or other) websites, it's time to pull the plug.
    If telnic has invested in someone to 'market', why not invest in someone to make .tel useful and useable?

nadya08-16-2010 12:17 PM

Wordpress Plug-in for .tel domains

1 Attachment(s)
    To answer some of the questions, here’s a summary of using the .tel Contact Manager plugin for Wordpress on your blog. 

We covered this topic last year in a blog post, so I’ll just re-cap briefly. 

For an example of an embedded .tel, see http://telnic.org/blog with a “Contact us” block on the right. We installed it from the official project page, and then followed the instructions by Bommtel, although right now the latter resource doesn’t seem be working unfortunately. Generally, this plug-in was created over a year ago and unfortunately hasn’t been updated since, so some recent .tel functions may not be supported. You might also find that tweaks to the source PHP file of the plug-in are necessary; for example, the code assumes that the plug-in is in the root folder, while in fact it is in a sub-folder with all the plug-ins. For us, getting the path right did the trick and the plug-in started working.

The interesting bit with the plug-in is that you can control which contact items are actually displayed, see the screenshot from our settings attached. This is more flexible than using an iFrame to embed the information directly. 

To answer specific questions:

• If you can't get it to work, check the PHP file and see if the paths are ok. Still having trouble? Ask the author for help.
    • To use custom graphics, we created ours and added to the list of images the plug-in is using, the rest was CSS. You can use our graphic if you wish.
    • To choose a specific icon for a contact you'd like to show, go to Settings > .tel > Manage display, and double-click the current icon. You'll be shown a list of icons you can choose from. Any custom icons should be uploaded to the same folder, and will be selectable.

[size]

Final note: unlike the Hosted embed service, this plug-in is not developed or supported by Telnic. For further information, questions, and feature requests, please contact the plug-in author.[/size]

dotteler08-16-2010 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nadya (Post 10585)
    this plug-in was created over a year ago and unfortunately hasn’t been updated since

[size]
    It would probably be a worthwhile telnic development, based on the number of users of WP.[/size]

Bunjie08-16-2010 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dotteler (Post 10586)
    It would probably be a worthwhile telnic development, based on the number of users of WP.

[size]
    If Telnic are going to redo the plug in, can't we get the website developer to make a full theme as well? I used to think it was bad but it kinda softened on me, it's a nice theme :)[/size]

dotteler08-16-2010 01:46 PM

The reason being able to create a plugin versus the embed:
    •*iframe size is unpredictable. Introducing scroll within sites is not a good practice.
    • Data should be live, not requiring selection. My experience trying the previous wp plugin was that it brought some of the links into the control panel where you could manually select them. That's a little better than just typing the information directly in wp, I suppose.
    • Plugins and widgets allow options for placement within wp themes. The example on the telnic blog is a perfect use of the power of .tel. Simple icons that show actions: phone, email, etc.
    I simply gave up with frustration over begging the people I work with to help (they have no intereste in any domaining) and realize it's too far down on the list for telmasters to ever get to.
    There are reasons I asked for it. Hopefully this illustrates some.

Current date/time is 2024-05-10, 2:25 pm