The .TEL Community on the .TEL Domain Forum!

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

Submission of other services icons

Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

Submission of other services icons Empty Submission of other services icons

Post by Telnic 2015-01-03, 7:10 am

boracay.tel09-28-2011 02:42 PM

Submission of other services icons

Dear Telnic, 

How do we get OTHER widely used and accepted industry STANDARD icons added to the proxy CSS for rendering of the "contact items"?

I am being asked by several interested parties in my new arts and crafts directory to replace the "web" globe with the correct social services icons of their industry.

Thank you.

Justin Hayward09-28-2011 02:44 PM

Hi Borocay,

Please let us know the precise icons you would like to see added for these services and we will take a look.

Thanks,

Justin

boracay.tel09-28-2011 03:08 PM

That's great. I'll get those high-res icons and email them to you for consideration!
    Thank you

tel4rent09-28-2011 09:32 PM

Hi,

is it possible to add an icon for audio file? may be integrate a player so the user can play a small audio file.

thanks

Justin Hayward09-29-2011 09:14 AM

Thanks - we will take a look at the industry standard icons and see the most appropriate to incorporate. Usernames may be more difficult unless they are URLs, due to the fact that there may be no RIPE defined records for these which can be incorporated as standard records and thus it would be difficult to associate an icon with a user-defined record. We will not look to provide further unique icons (e.g. difference between personal and business icons), nor audio files/integrated players at present.

I have to questions whether people really still use some of these services, such as FriendFeed, MySpace, etc actively? Please remember, the more icons added, the longer it would take to load the template and the bigger that template becomes (impacting the optimization and potential speed of loading). So whilst we want to accommodate these requests, we also want to make it clear what the impact may be.

Justin Hayward09-29-2011 09:37 AM

Flickr and Tencent QQ shouldn't be a problem, and if the usernames have a unique record associated to them, again that should be OK.

Thanks Jens,

Justin

tel4rent09-29-2011 10:11 AM

Hi Justin,

I still believe that an icon should define an audio file. It is very important specially for radio FM that own their .tel. More and more people use their mobile to play audio file or radio stream file. May be the player is not necessary but an icon to define an audio file is important.

Thanks for listening.

Justin Hayward09-29-2011 01:43 PM

Speed is considered important from an SEO perspective by Google. In terms of page weight, even in the UK for example, 60% of those with mobile contracts are on PAYG, not pre-pay (all you can eat data). So the balance is performance over look and feel. What we don't want to do is break the positive SEO results through the needless addition of elements that may not be used significantly (but which still need to be called on when being displayed by the proxies) and which push up the cost of access (even by smart phones).

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)09-29-2011 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin Hayward (Post 17801)
    (but which still need to be called on when being displayed by the proxies

[size]
    Justin, I just want to understand something. The unused icons are merely references stored in the CSS file. When there is no need for that icon, the HTML will not have a reference. 

Are you saying that merely having a reference causes the icon to be downloaded even though it is not needed on the page?

Mark[/size]

Justin Hayward09-29-2011 02:24 PM

No, but the proxy needs to check what needs to be loaded; with more and more icons, that time will extend incrementally (as I understand it)...

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)09-29-2011 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin Hayward (Post 17804)
    No, but the proxy needs to check what needs to be loaded; with more and more icons, that time will extend incrementally (as I understand it)...

[size]
    I don't think it depends on the number of icons. The code only checks if the NAPTR record is a web link or username, and then would probably do a string lookup using a pattern,ie one check and non iterating though all icons. Besides, the icon load time or delay is at the browser level, nothing to do with the proxy. IMO.

Mark[/size]

aliencafe09-29-2011 08:28 PM

Please do NOT add the Myspace Icon!!!

haha

aliencafe09-29-2011 11:03 PM

It definitely is!!

aliencafe09-29-2011 11:18 PM

I do find it funny now that they melted down in '09. However, at the time it wasn't too funny for us!
    Looking forward to a much brighter future ahead!

mikeseaton09-30-2011 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jens (Post 17826)
    Yes, it's dramatic: they had 1 % of global page views of all internet users; now they have only 0,02 % left - with still decreasing tendency!

It is another example of many collapses of past high-flyers!

[size]
    And Bebo was another casualty of the now dominant Facebook in the social networking area.

In many areas of the internet there is only really room for one major player, perhaps taking 80-90% of the market, with the remaining sites sharing the crumbs of the 10-20% left between them.

It's true of Google today in search engines, and will be true of the eventual winner of the Dial-By-Name concept - I just hope it's .tel that takes the dominant position that's currently up for grabs by both established and new internet players.

Mike Seaton[/size]

Cees09-30-2011 08:03 AM

Perspective? 
    Microsoft have pumped 5.5 Billion into Bing since 2009!

Current date/time is 2024-04-28, 10:22 pm