The .TEL Community on the .TEL Domain Forum!

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

+15
maxi
Tely
marimax
Truckdottel
Tel
Toptel
Sunrise
mikeseaton
kprobe
TelKing
Telminator
Rambo
telrific
ntervu
Alex
19 posters

REQUEST FOR ALL .TEL OWNERS: Please tell us your suggestions to improve .tel!

Rambo
    Rambo
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

Warning level : 100 %

REQUEST FOR ALL .TEL OWNERS: Please tell us your suggestions to improve .tel! - Page 2 Empty Re: REQUEST FOR ALL .TEL OWNERS: Please tell us your suggestions to improve .tel!

Post by Rambo 2012-09-09, 1:50 pm

telrific wrote:
    kprobe wrote:A lot of people don't want to register a .tel and then a .com in addition. They want to buy an all-inclusive package. So these customers need what a common website usually provides.

This is where the trouble begins, you have to drop that mentality or it's over for .tel.
    I don't think so. Telnames provides already an all-inclusive package. It's not perfect, but on the right way. Unfortunately only 1,500 customers are using it while the majority of customers have no access to it.
    kprobe
    kprobe
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

REQUEST FOR ALL .TEL OWNERS: Please tell us your suggestions to improve .tel! - Page 2 Empty Re: REQUEST FOR ALL .TEL OWNERS: Please tell us your suggestions to improve .tel!

Post by kprobe 2012-09-09, 1:52 pm

kprobe wrote:Q: Do you want to hide the entire link and just keep anchor text or to convert the anchor text to something like "http://www.zazzle.com/..." ?
    Internet users don't trust affiliate links and avoid clicking them. On every normal website it is possible to define the text for every single link like I demonstrate it here: Please visit the best website in the whole world!

So basically you want a weblink NAPTR record with only anchor text displayed, just like all websites do. I suppose an option can be added to NAPTR record to support this without affecting proxies unless they desire to support the option.

kprobe wrote:Q: Does this mean you want to supply your own logos to the left of certain NAPTR records?
    Yes, especially since Telnic provides antiquated icons. If I can upload my own icons, Telnic doesn't need to worry about my taste anymore.

Internally, Telnic has about 3 or 4 icon sets. All they have to do is keep updating their icon sprites. Introducing new icons and adding code is relatively easy.
    However, to deliver different icons requires a big change since they use simple CSS sprite sequences. Not sure they would go for that.

kprobe wrote:Delivering “Free Calls” buttons
    The visitor will find a button on a .tel of a business: "Call Us For Free".
    The visitor clicks the button, enters his own phone number and gets a call. After he picked up his phone a call to the .tel domain owner will be initiated.
    There are several providers who offer this kind of service. Some are even without fees for the (.tel) domain owner.
    Which other domain extension is better predestinated for using this service than .tel?

I agree re .tel is the ideal tld for this kind of communication. So this requires scripting or just a form ?

kprobe wrote: Q: Would it be just a simple form where you just supply the labels? eg see the form nfrm.us/CONTACT_US at OK.tel or a customizable form?
    No, http://www.telmailbox.com offers this already. I would like to have the contact form inside of the .tel domain without leaving it.
    I have seen this on http://zouwei.tel , but can't find it again.[/quote]

OK, understand. Yes there is a desire to have an on-page form without leaving the premises. Could also be accomplished via collapsible iframe.
    telrific
    telrific
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

Post by telrific 2012-09-09, 2:02 pm

Rambo wrote:
    telrific wrote:
    kprobe wrote:A lot of people don't want to register a .tel and then a .com in addition. They want to buy an all-inclusive package. So these customers need what a common website usually provides.

This is where the trouble begins, you have to drop that mentality or it's over for .tel.
    I don't think so. Telnames provides already an all-inclusive package. It's not perfect, but on the right way. Unfortunately only 1,500 customers are using it while the majority of customers have no access to it.

NEVER happen that .tel is all inclusive, Telnames is not even close to all inclusive versus what can be done with a .com

What you are saying when you say that "Telnames already includes a an all-inclusive package" is that it is a very well done, somewhat self-contained online advertisement.

It still doesn't have video hosting, or email hosting, or .... and couldn't even begin to compete with what ecommerce and other tld sites can do, and it should never try to either, that's the whole point !

kprobe
    kprobe
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

Post by kprobe 2012-09-09, 2:05 pm

Rambo wrote:
    telrific wrote:

The aspect of .Tel we must all be cognizant of is that it was not designed to be a website. However it has evolved into that, and Telnames shows what can be accomplished given demand in the small business world. So not everything can fit under the .Tel umbrella. There have to be limitations, one of them is that there is a common layout and that layout cannot be touched. We have to suggest changes that work within that constraint.
    Mark
    Rambo
    Rambo
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

Post by Rambo 2012-09-09, 2:07 pm

kprobe wrote:
    kprobe wrote:Q: Does this mean you want to supply your own logos to the left of certain NAPTR records?
    Yes, especially since Telnic provides antiquated icons. If I can upload my own icons, Telnic doesn't need to worry about my taste anymore.

Internally, Telnic has about 3 or 4 icon sets. All they have to do is keep updating their icon sprites. Introducing new icons and adding code is relatively easy.
    If Telnic gives us the designed icons from template 8 (see the contest draft), it would be a great improvement (like a jump from 1990 into the year 2005).
    Rambo
    Rambo
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

Post by Rambo 2012-09-09, 2:12 pm

kprobe wrote:
    kprobe wrote:Delivering “Free Calls” buttons
    The visitor will find a button on a .tel of a business: "Call Us For Free".
    The visitor clicks the button, enters his own phone number and gets a call. After he picked up his phone a call to the .tel domain owner will be initiated.
    There are several providers who offer this kind of service. Some are even without fees for the (.tel) domain owner.
    Which other domain extension is better predestinated for using this service than .tel?

I agree re .tel is the ideal tld for this kind of communication. So this requires scripting or just a form ?
    Disadvantage of a script is it will run outside the .tel domain (but that would be similar to other websites where a pop-up window appears).
    Disadvantage of a form is it will be only possible to realize in cooperation between those service providers and Telnic.
    kprobe
    kprobe
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

Post by kprobe 2012-09-09, 2:16 pm

Rambo wrote:
    If Telnic gives us the designed icons from template 8 (see the contest draft), it would be a great improvement (like a jump from 1990 into the year 2005).

Yes, their internal structure could tolerate deviations from defaults such as an alternate icon set by reading optional parameters from the .tsm record. This is an argument I will be putting forth soon that will allow the existing layouts to be used for all templates yet allow a great deal of styling customization (fonts, colors, groups, etc) by the owner.
    Mark
    telrific
    telrific
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

Post by telrific 2012-09-09, 2:16 pm

kprobe wrote:
    The aspect of .Tel we must all be cognizant of is that it was not designed to be a website. However it has evolved into that, and Telnames shows what can be accomplished given demand in the small business world. So not everything can fit under the .Tel umbrella. There have to be limitations, one of them is that there is a common layout and that layout cannot be touched. We have to suggest changes that work within that constraint.
    Mark

It's finally evolving into what I stated it should have been 3+ years ago, an intelligent Yellow/White Pages listing with valuable and critical rich ad content.

That still doesn't make it a website, it just makes it a great starting point on the Internet as it was intended.

Now all we have to do is get these .tel Ads found in their own "results as I suggested" directory and registrations will take off.

Telnames style was a no-brainer 3+ years ago, that's why it was suggested, and now TelPages is still the other no-brainer needed.

Just as they advertised, if only they had focused and followed throught on the "Live Ad" in the "Live Directory" as advertised.

Let the 1,400 other tld's and all the other Search Engines fight over content, we need to focus on the Ad and the Ad Directory for personal and business use.

This what TelpagesPlus was years ago, inclusive, and finally heading in the right direction with the directory too ?

Last edited by telrific on 2012-09-09, 2:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Rambo
    Rambo
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

Post by Rambo 2012-09-09, 2:18 pm

telrific wrote:It still doesn't have video hosting, or email hosting, or .... and couldn't even begin to compete with what ecommerce and other tld sites can do, and it should never try to either, that's the whole point !
    I don't want to have this from Telnames. What I want is an adequate and comprehensive website from Telnames AND from Telnic (mobile and on desktops). That is what we are working on right now in this thread, because that is needed for the survival of .tel!

Last edited by Rambo on 2012-09-09, 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
    kprobe
    kprobe
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

Post by kprobe 2012-09-09, 2:19 pm

@telrific: re Live Ad, Live Directory: you mean that the content of a .tel page whether Pro or TelNames is the "ad" ?
    Mark
    telrific
    telrific
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

Post by telrific 2012-09-09, 2:59 pm

Rambo wrote:
    telrific wrote:It still doesn't have video hosting, or email hosting, or .... and couldn't even begin to compete with what ecommerce and other tld sites can do, and it should never try to either, that's the whole point !
    I don't want to have this from Telnames. What I want is an adequate and comprehensive website from Telnames AND from Telnic (mobile and on desktops). That is what we are working on right now in this thread, because that is needed for the survival of .tel!

I don't even know what you mean with that statement, sorry.

All .tel's are viewable on desktops, smartphones, dumbphones, tablets, etc. already.

It's an Internet presence of the .tel kind, limited in content and structure, what's your point exactly ?

"Adequate and comprehesive website from Telnames and Telnic ..." ? Do you simply mean you want all .tel templates to have the same features regardless of the provider ? That's nothing to do with becoming a "website", which was the comment made by Mark and myself.

Rambo
    Rambo
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

Post by Rambo 2012-09-09, 3:05 pm

Everything I'm saying is that .tel needs some improvements to become a valuable website / domain / homepage / internet resource. What is still missing in my opinion, I have collected on page one of this thread.
    telrific
    telrific
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

Post by telrific 2012-09-09, 3:08 pm

kprobe wrote:@telrific: re Live Ad, Live Directory: you mean that the content of a .tel page whether Pro or TelNames is the "ad" ?
    Mark

Just that ads of any kind in the world don't generally include "hotlinks" as a rule - tv, radio, newspaper, magazine, video, even internet ads are generally limited to a weblink alone.

When an advertising statement is given by a business, it usually ends with "call, click, or visit" - meaning telephone, website, or physical location.

We have "Live" ads with "immediate response capabilities in all those areas" is all I was meaning in that sense.

telrific
    telrific
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

Post by telrific 2012-09-09, 3:10 pm

Rambo wrote:Everything I'm saying is that .tel needs some improvements to become a valuable website / domain / homepage / internet resource. What is still missing in my opinion, I have collected on page one of this thread.

Right, but my point is what you commented on.

My point was that it is not meant to be a valuable website, just a completely valuable ad site and ad directory.
    Rambo
    Rambo
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

Post by Rambo 2012-09-09, 3:14 pm

Okay! Peace!
    Sunrise
    Sunrise
    Insider
    Insider

Post by Sunrise 2012-09-09, 3:26 pm

telrific wrote:My point was that it is not meant to be a valuable website, just a completely valuable ad site and ad directory.
    Hmmmm ... !

If the target of .tel is evolving into an ad site or ad directory, I'm very pessimistic about the future, because internet surfers love ads so much that they try everything to block it from their screens.
    But I guess it is just the wrong term. Perhaps you mean something like Yellow Pages.
    telrific
    telrific
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

Post by telrific 2012-09-09, 4:13 pm

Sunrise wrote:
    telrific wrote:My point was that it is not meant to be a valuable website, just a completely valuable ad site and ad directory.
    Hmmmm ... !

If the target of .tel is evolving into an ad site or ad directory, I'm very pessimistic about the future, because internet surfers love ads so much that they try everything to block it from their screens.
    But I guess it is just the wrong term. Perhaps you mean something like Yellow Pages.

Yes, you are correct, and @Rambo you too are correct, and I am too, and so is Mark, and Dan, and ... we are all victims of the terminology for sure !!!!

Simply put, all places on the Internet may be considered a "web" "site".

All "web" "sites" that are available on the Internet may be considered a "listing" on the Internet.

Any "listing" presented in a public forum is considered an "Advertisement" for that information.

advertisement (ad) - the act of making generally known; a calling to the attention of the public.

So technically, there is no difference in any of these terms.

What we tend to associate with as differences is:

1. Websites are large and complex.

2. Listings are smaller and less complex.

3. Ads are annoying, loud, and undesireable.

None of these is true, and all of these is true.

What we should understand with .tel, is that it is meant to be the source of a small profile and contact information, more of a "dictionary entry" than an "encyclopedia entry".

What we should also understand with .tel is that it is necessary to have "a more technologically advanced dictionary entry" as an "advertisment or listing that may be sourced" for "basic information that defines the registrant".

This is simply the addition of rich features commonly in demand to today used to communicate more clearly such as video, graphics, and live/interactive links to additional information.

TelPages is simply meant to be "the advanced Dictionary" with .tel the "advanced Definitions" regardless of what is thought of in the associative sense.

If we try to compete with, or attempt to be an Encyclopedia or worse, we are well on our way to becoming useless for what .tel and TelPages is meant to be.
    telrific
    telrific
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

Post by telrific 2012-09-09, 5:02 pm

telrific wrote: advertisement (ad) - the act of making generally known; a calling to the attention of the public.

This by the way is why the general public will never fully embrace .tel and why many have fought vigorously to end the White Pages. They simply feel that advertising critical personal information in any fashion is a fool's choice. Facebook, Twitter, YouTube as popular individual displays and directories are simply viewed as the public sharing of personal information that is non-threatening, no matter how mistaken they may be !

Businesses, including Individuals with Business intentions, have little problem using any public medium, as they will always be pro-ad, ( and pro .tel / pro TelPages when a proven value) because they understand that survival often depends upon the constant public display of information and attractability in a popular source for profile and contact data, such as Yellow Pages, or even White Pages, which are all ad directories no matter how they may be otherwise viewed or interpreted.
    ntervu
    ntervu
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

Post by ntervu 2012-09-09, 6:33 pm

Awesome thread today and good stuff to get the juices flowing. Do we need to put together a weekly/bi-weekly call or webcast?
    mikeseaton
    mikeseaton
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

.tel domain : MIkeSeaton.tel

REQUEST FOR ALL .TEL OWNERS: Please tell us your suggestions to improve .tel! - Page 2 Empty The Roadmap...

Post by mikeseaton 2012-09-10, 8:29 am

...just so we don't forget the still outstanding development items on the much-loved Roadmap here's the link to it:

http://www.teltalk.org/t145-the-long-lost-tel-roadmap-uncovered

I am sure forum members will comment on what really matters on it !

http://MikeSeaton.tel
    telrific
    telrific
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

Post by telrific 2012-09-10, 9:43 am

Keep sending suggestions to Mark, Aled, whomever.

I can't even believe what I'm seeing when I look at the TelPages garbage after 3+ years.

Is it really that difficult to get clue and a real directory with real results that display the .tel registrants that fund their efforts every day ?

REQUEST FOR ALL .TEL OWNERS: Please tell us your suggestions to improve .tel! - Page 2 Results REQUEST FOR ALL .TEL OWNERS: Please tell us your suggestions to improve .tel! - Page 2 Telpages
    Toptel
    Toptel

Post by Toptel 2012-09-10, 9:47 am

ntervu wrote:Awesome thread today and good stuff to get the juices flowing. Do we need to put together a weekly/bi-weekly call or webcast?

All this effort makes only sense if Telnic is willing to continue software development. How we can motivate Telnic doing this?
    Sorry it sounds a little bit harsh, but I consider this as an important question!
    Telminator
    Telminator
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

Warning level : Banned

Post by Telminator 2012-09-10, 10:04 am

Toptel wrote:
    ntervu wrote:Awesome thread today and good stuff to get the juices flowing. Do we need to put together a weekly/bi-weekly call or webcast?

All this effort makes only sense if Telnic is willing to continue software development. How we can motivate Telnic doing this?
    Sorry it sounds a little bit harsh, but I consider this as an important question!
    ntervu gave already the answer: a weekly/bi-weekly call or webcast is the solution! But it would make sense only with participation of Telnic!
    Tel
    Tel
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

Post by Tel 2012-09-10, 10:10 am

Who has a good connection to Telnic and can ask Telnic politely and diplomatically for cooperation in a regular meeting?
    mikeseaton
    mikeseaton
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

.tel domain : MIkeSeaton.tel

Post by mikeseaton 2012-09-10, 10:59 am

Tel wrote:Who has a good connection to Telnic and can ask Telnic politely and diplomatically for cooperation in a regular meeting?
    Mark Kolb ?

Without Mark's free and low cost development tools many of the original Telnic .tels would have faced a real problem in populating content.

So Telnic owe Mark a huge and continuing debt of gratitude !

Mark, is it worth a go to contact Telnic for a response - or should we all just focus on Telnames .tels where negligible further development is required ?

http://MikeSeaton.tel

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 2024-04-29, 9:39 am