The .TEL Community on the .TEL Domain Forum!

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

Subdomain Proxy folder rewriting?

Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

Subdomain Proxy folder rewriting? Empty Subdomain Proxy folder rewriting?

Post by Telnic 2015-01-02, 3:09 am

Bunjie03-07-2010 09:41 PM

Subdomain Proxy folder rewriting?

Please allow optional rewriting of the multiple subdomains from:

http://jack-brown.user.my.tel

http://telnic.business.my.tel

to

http://my.tel/user/jack-brown

http://my.tel/business/telnic

So visiting from the forward facing urls still arrive at the backward facing ones but are showing alot cleaner!

Bunjie03-07-2010 10:06 PM

Also because looking at them backwards freak me out XD

99% of the internet goes forward, only 1% goes backwards and their on LSD.

dialaroom03-07-2010 11:35 PM

Bunjie, I might be totally wrong on this, but it is a really interesting question. I thought a subdomain came before the domain name as in jack-brown.user.mytel and a subdirectory came after the domain name as in mytel.user.jack-brown. 

Depending on content of the root domain google used to put more value on the subdomain if the root domain has a full and valuable content. and more value on a subdirectory if the root domain has little content. It was the hottest seo topic about three years ago. 

With html web sites I'm sure you could do some sort of htaccess rewrites, but you wouldn't set up sub domains when you wanted subdirectories and visa-versa. 

I may be wrong but .tels are based upon adding subdomains to a root domain. I think Google may still prefer and give better treatment to subdomains. It's been a long time since I did a lot of SEO. If any one can explain better, I, like Bunjie, would be interested to know the differences and why they exist.

Bunjie03-08-2010 12:53 AM

I'm still learning but I looked at my web host a while back and it's been setup as such as everyone has that when ever I add a folder say furry.se/images/ it can always be accessed at images.furry.se but no further.

A while back I tried to find out how to add 3rd level + sub domains I never really found out but having a URL like business.user.cards.sell.tel does look like spam in google as apposed to a shorter if desired URL of cards.sell.tel/user/business.

We have bit.ly for just the reason to remove long URLs, and there is two sides to telnic the user and the business e.g. myname.tel but that's not enough for big directory's, because the more you add the longer the URLs become and average user looking at a link like that in google will be put off.

Now I know it's up to the directory manager to craft it in such a way that's refined and easy to understand but I believe google treats sub domains as an entirely different URL.

You can see this by the registration that asks you to validate the sub URL is yours so you can get web metrics from google.

Even if it ranks higher that's still not going to help you if no one clicks it because they don't understand why it's 10 paces backwards, average Joe just wont trust it?

And will google start to stop indexing URLs that are revised higher than what average Joe understands?

Will google remove directorys completely if your directory becomes too big? with links that confuse the end user? and look like spam?

I just think we should have the option of using a forward URL if we so wish after the general second level subdomain.

Current date/time is 2024-05-15, 11:45 am