The .TEL Community on the .TEL Domain Forum!

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

Weather Forecast on Geo Domains

Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

Weather Forecast on Geo Domains Empty Weather Forecast on Geo Domains

Post by Telnic 2015-01-02, 3:20 pm

TELcp10-30-2012 03:18 AM

Weather Forecast on Geo Domains

Well, we are now in a position to provide weather forecast to every city, town, village or anyplace in the USA. Very soon in Canada, UK and every city/town in the world.

Take a look at our sample page here at www.new-york-city.wx.tel (fcst updates every 30 mins)

We will be filling up the wx.tel with dynamic Weather Forecasts for 2999 US cities/towns soon. They all will be updated every 30 mins, displayed on .tel page when refreshed.

This is only an example of how dynamic content can be displayed on a tel page.
    And is NOT limited to just weather forecasts.
    We can display live auctions, stock market updates etc.
    We can even make you play Bingo on .tel

What else do you need??
    The .tel is much more this....

++++

We appreciate your feedback on this. Thanks.

boracay.tel10-30-2012 08:54 AM

this is really nicely done telCP.
    but the click is opening new windows with every click. this makes no sense

TELcp10-30-2012 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boracay.tel (Post 25935)
    this is really nicely done telCP.

[size]
    Thanks.
    Quote:
    [/size]

Originally Posted by boracay.tel (Post 25935)
    but the click is opening new windows with every click. this makes no sense

[size]
    Outgoing Links can be customised, only within the available options at present.
    As you know we only have clipped wings.:)[/size]

tony mayo10-30-2012 11:13 AM

Great work TELcp. Looks good on iPhone too.
    Dynamic content is vital if we are to stand out from traditional directories and compete with apps.

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)10-30-2012 11:29 AM

More Dynamic Content

@Telcp: nice graphics.

Here some other examples of dynamic content.

http://october-14-scrambled-words.playtowin.tel/ Word game
    http://october-13-poker.playtowin.tel/ Poker game

Was a work in progress only limited by time and lack of proper linking, ie opening in same browser window. Working on other projects but will get back to this one when time permits and Telnic updates the proxy. You need to refresh your page to see updated graphic.

Mark

dottel.net10-30-2012 12:26 PM

@telcp - very professional feel to it - well done! we've been playing around with dynamic content via images for a while too. including geo aware searching, etc.

TELcp10-30-2012 12:37 PM

Many Thanks to all feedback here and via twitter.
    Well, what we have provided is only a 3 day forecast.

The extended forecast for 7 days, Weather Alert Updates etc can be provided if more .TIA are made available. This is the reason we have been asking to increase the number image ads per page. 

Hopefully, people with active geo domains will soon have something to talk about.

Cheers!

TELcp10-30-2012 01:47 PM

How about a Weather Carousel !

How about a Weather Carousel !

Telnic will only need to host the DNS pointers to multiple images (images will be hosted elsewhere). No additional strain on servers with regular call to update content.

A carousel will be a better idea.
    With that we can stick to what Aled said in reply to our request for additional .TIA images.

Whatever, you can Telnic, please consider these requests for the benefit of all parties concerned.

Thank you in advance.

++++

dottel.net10-30-2012 02:15 PM

you can effectively do that now in two ways:

1. animated gif of course constructed on the fly with dynamic content
    2. load in multiple records via the soap api and rely on the randomness to show the different images

TELcp10-30-2012 02:51 PM

Thanks for the feedback.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dottel.net (Post 25946)
    1. animated gif of course constructed on the fly with dynamic content

[size]
    The end user has no control over the content, especially to read something. Some people are fast in reading and some are slow.

Quote:
    [/size]

Originally Posted by dottel.net (Post 25946)
    2. load in multiple records via the soap api and rely on the randomness to show the different images

[size]
    Not practical due to many reasons, but mainly:

a) Resource management (on both Telnic's and service providers).
    b) Considering the throttling on .tel (by Telnic)
    c) Instant updates are not effective due to network delays (Multiple networks are involved when updating records).

++++[/size]

TELcp10-30-2012 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony mayo (Post 25938)
    Dynamic content is vital if we are to stand out from traditional directories and compete with apps.

[size]
    Yes, tel has to be dynamic to face any competition.
    But we don't see any competition for tel's original unique concept, now or in the future.

Major obstacle right now is lack of enough promotion and the new found anti tel propaganda within and outside the tel. But its just a passing cloud.

++++[/size]

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)10-30-2012 03:02 PM

@TELCP Don't see why you have a throttling issue.
    There are different ways to do dynamic content.
    1. PHP generation of image, done at your server, no throttling issues with Telnic, single update to domain
    2. SOAP call upon PHP image load to rebuild domain, valid for next visitor only

If you rely on #2, then do your own throttling by only refreshing content once per hour or day as needed. 

Mark

TELcp10-30-2012 03:17 PM

@Mark

My reply was to indicate throttling comes in to force when update to the records are involved.

There is nothing, nothing whatsoever, on what we have done and do now with .TIA images.
    As it is right now only need to update the DNS once and close your eyes.

:cool:

TELcp10-30-2012 03:25 PM

item 'c)' on post #10

Its a waste of time when trying to update the DNS and then display dynamic content from a remote server.

What we have done is much faster within the available options of the present tel framework.

That is what I wanted to point out.

++++

BTW, throttling is not from our side. But in force from Telnc's side.
    Timing (the duration between updates as far as the weather fcsts are concerned, can be adjusted every 3/6/12 etc).
    But every 30 mins is good to monitor during bad weather period.
    For that we need to display alerts.
    Space is the problem.

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)10-30-2012 04:09 PM

Personally I dont think .Tel is suited to weather feeds, as all you are doing is mirroring data already available elsewhere via better mobile apps and sites. It looks nice but what is the value? Unique dynamic content should be provided for helping market the TLD, geoawareness applications etc. Not sure what the benefit is for a weather feed.
    Mark

supercyberheroes10-30-2012 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TELcp (Post 25930)
    Well, we are now in a position to provide weather forecast to every city, town, village or anyplace in the USA. Very soon in Canada, UK and every city/town in the world.

Take a look at our sample page here at www.new-york-city.wx.tel (fcst updates every 30 mins)

We will be filling up the wx.tel with dynamic Weather Forecasts for 2999 US cities/towns soon. They all will be updated every 30 mins, displayed on .tel page when refreshed.

This is only an example of how dynamic content can be displayed on a tel page.
    And is NOT limited to just weather forecasts.
    We can display live auctions, stock market updates etc.
    We can even make you play Bingo on .tel

What else do you need??
    The .tel is much more this....

++++

We appreciate your feedback on this. Thanks.

[size]
    If we put the information without link to some where else will be fine, I will be watching this close due that I am the owner of the eltiempo and clima both means weather in Spanish, when I want to know about the weather I see only the temperature and if is going to rain, nothing else, good job.

Regards
    http://ideal.tel[/size]

TELcp10-30-2012 06:17 PM

1) Why do people need a .tel domain when there is already YP with a very well organized directory structure for contact information in one place?

2) Why do people need a .tel domain when there are free websites available on the net?

We have our own answers and reasons.
    And we know you have yours too.

++++

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)10-30-2012 06:57 PM

Tel is suited to searchable content esp at the subdomain level. For a weather tel to be effective, without marketing, you'd need a good set of content with each subdomain. However, you could of course provide geo-aware weather at the root level, but then you'd be doing it without content, hence marketing or viral awareness. Dynamic content is always valuable to the right markets. 
    Mark

aliencafe10-30-2012 07:03 PM

@TELCP/Mark:

I have "Weather.tel" in Chinese. Telcp let me know how you and I can connect and complete the Site so each Large Chinese city has a weather forecast. 

Mark, I do agree on some points- don't you think some awareness will still come from people using weather.tel in China?

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)10-30-2012 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aliencafe (Post 25958)
    @TELCP/Mark:
    Mark, I do agree on some points- don't you think some awareness will still come from people using weather.tel in China?

[size]
    Sure, that's my point. Unless you get awareness for your .tel, no one will be using it so why duplicate content? If TEL is popular then finding it via search won't matter, it will be useful.

Mark[/size]
    Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

Weather Forecast on Geo Domains Empty Re: Weather Forecast on Geo Domains

Post by Telnic 2015-01-02, 3:20 pm

TELcp10-31-2012 05:42 AM

@aliencafe,

Do you know any reliable weather service which provides XML feeds for PRC?
    Better if it provides both in English & Chinese.

Thanks

boracay.tel11-25-2012 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TELcp (Post 25943)
    Many Thanks to all feedback here and via twitter.
    Well, what we have provided is only a 3 day forecast.

The extended forecast for 7 days, Weather Alert Updates etc can be provided if more .TIA are made available. This is the reason we have been asking to increase the number image ads per page. 

Hopefully, people with active geo domains will soon have something to talk about.

Cheers!

[size]
    What's the latest on this weather image creation service telCP? 
    I definately see a use for it on the home page of my 2 geo project directories
    Bali and Boracay.
    Thank you[/size]

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)11-25-2012 03:09 PM

I use http://www.intermeteo.com/asia/indon...ormers_en.html
    eg www.416.tel
    Just copy the image URL and save as image ad.

Mark

boracay.tel11-25-2012 03:32 PM

That's too easy.
    Thanks mark for pointing me in the right direction.
    Great for bali. 
    Can't find for boracay through them though.

Mark, thanks I found this code snippet instead for boracay. It renders a perfect image for Caticlan (which is boracay airport)

http://weathersticker.wunderground.c...36&language=EN

Blunderer11-26-2012 12:20 PM

I have an interactive weather forecasting solution - I look out the window, and if my car is floating .....its STILL raining!!!

dottel.net11-26-2012 01:06 PM

it sounds terrible in your neck of the woods - looks like the rains moving my ways.... time to buy that canoe!!

boracay.tel11-26-2012 02:07 PM

Weather inclusion for boracay directory is rather important...
    Kite surfers look out the window too.
    This photo taken today. pic.twitter.com/LnHp6fco
    I'm guessing there were over 500 kiters at once along a 2km stretch of reef, btw, this is not even close to peak season for kiting. A few months away feb march

Blunderer11-26-2012 06:50 PM

@boracay,

Blue sky? Now you're rubbing salt into the wound.

@dottel,

Yes, batten down the hatches and keep your bailer handy.

dutchstreetdog11-26-2012 08:26 PM

And i am moving my +-300 domaIns to name.com this month

Blunderer11-26-2012 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dutchstreetdog (Post 26084)

[size]
    Because of the weather???:confused:[/size]

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)11-26-2012 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dutchstreetdog (Post 26084)

[size]
    Is that strong wind blowing WEST?
    Mark[/size]

dutchstreetdog11-26-2012 11:54 PM

Well just wanted to let you no boys, that there is 1 mister DotTel in Holland And thats mi !
    But i do need Amsterdam And Rotterdam :-)

supercyberheroes11-27-2012 01:48 AM

Can we use weather tool from http://weather.com ?

Regards
    http://ideal.tel

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)11-27-2012 02:47 AM

Not the weather tool widget as it uses a script and there is no specific image for a location. However the weather underground API looks interesting. But I don't have time ATM to investigate and develop a dynamic image. That would be the only way to provide weather on .tel (same as intermeteo does).
    Mark

aliencafe11-27-2012 03:31 AM

Mark lets' spend some time on the Chinese weather.tel site when you have time. we could populate 10-12 major cities with the weather. I'm getting traffic now 天气.tel

boracay.tel11-27-2012 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Kolb (Kprobe) (Post 26097)
    However the weather underground API looks interesting.

[size]
    See www.bali.tel
    The standard images wunderground.com creates are almost enough without worrying to much about the API. 

But, Perhaps by clicking thru instead of going to the detailed wunderground weather, better to divert firstly to your own dedicated weather .tel subdomain. See here (This is where the opportunity exists for mark telCP dottel.net for dynamic images)

In this way, you are able to provide what's most important to your visitors. Think adding live webcam image. I would be looking to do a nicely laid out, 5 day forecast at weather.boracay.tel particularly with kite surfers wind data during THAT peak season, and alternately focus on sun-lovers in the mainstream holidaying peak season[/size]

boracay.tel11-27-2012 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dutchstreetdog (Post 26092)
    Well just wanted to let you no boys, that there is 1 mister DotTel in Holland And thats mi !

[size]
    Try code "newbie" I think it was at name.com for transfers in (small savings)
    Good luck in your targeted market - expansion. I am going for the Asian resort king![/size]

dottel.net11-27-2012 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dutchstreetdog (Post 26092)

[size]
    Rotterdam - tick
    Amsterdam - I wish![/size]

aliencafe11-27-2012 08:55 PM

manila tick

Boracay would you like a link from Manila?

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)11-27-2012 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aliencafe (Post 26100)
    Mark lets' spend some time on the Chinese weather.tel site when you have time. we could populate 10-12 major cities with the weather. I'm getting traffic now 天气.tel

[size]
    I think you just need to do the way Boyet did with Bali? 
    In future a single dynamic image combining several custom sources might be doable.
    Mark[/size]

Current date/time is 2024-05-19, 7:12 pm