The .TEL Community on the .TEL Domain Forum!

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

+15
Moonlight
Toady Bucks
maxi
TelBlogger
Expert
di7
as
let
Ann Mike Matthews
whatthetel
silvano
mikeseaton
ixida
Sunrise
19 posters

Do you want free web hosting for .tel?

Poll

Do you agree with the announced changes for March 2017?

[ 4 ]
    Do you want free web hosting for .tel? Bar_left20%Do you want free web hosting for .tel? Bar_right [20%] 
    [ 14 ]
    Do you want free web hosting for .tel? Bar_left70%Do you want free web hosting for .tel? Bar_right [70%] 
    [ 2 ]
    Do you want free web hosting for .tel? Bar_left10%Do you want free web hosting for .tel? Bar_right [10%] 

Total Votes: 20
    Sunrise
    Sunrise
    Insider
    Insider

Warning level : 100 %

Do you want free web hosting for .tel? Empty Do you want free web hosting for .tel?

Post by Sunrise 2016-12-17, 3:12 am

Telnic hasn't asked its customers before these announced changes:
    http://www.teltalk.org/t4467-important-news-for-all-tel-owners-and-community-members

It will be interesting to know what the customers want!
    ixida
    ixida

Do you want free web hosting for .tel? Empty Re: Do you want free web hosting for .tel?

Post by ixida 2016-12-17, 3:21 am

If I want to have a normal website, I can buy a .com. I don't need .tel for that!
    mikeseaton
    mikeseaton
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

.tel domain : MIkeSeaton.tel

Do you want free web hosting for .tel? Empty Re: Do you want free web hosting for .tel?

Post by mikeseaton 2016-12-17, 9:19 am

ixida wrote:If I want to have a normal website, I can buy a .com. I don't need .tel for that!

Highly unlikely !

Do you not realise how much a decent .com costs these days ?

Usually 5 to 6 figures in dollars, the very best can reach 7 figures !

Here's some top examples from this year 2016:

HG.com CNY ¥26,000,000 = $3,770,000 - 11/30/16
    Vivo.com $2,100,000 - 11/9/16
    XXXVideos.com $1,368,000 - 11/23/16
    Jade.com $1,250,000 - 7/20/16

Compare that with the current price for .TELs (the resale market for .TELs is likely to pick up post March 2017).

http://MikeSeaton.tel
    silvano
    silvano

.tel domain : albenga.tel
    Number of .tel domains : 3

Post by silvano 2016-12-17, 3:18 pm

For replacing .tel sites with subdomains, what do you think about .directory?

Cost: few Euros.

The right suffix for directories: "my_town".directory, "family".directory, "my_company".directory 

Not worse than. tel
    Sunrise
    Sunrise
    Insider
    Insider

Post by Sunrise 2016-12-17, 4:50 pm

If the Telnames template would provide sub domains, I would vote for 'Yes'.
    Since the Telnames template won't provide sub domains, I have voted for 'No'.

The reason for my decision can be found here:
    http://www.teltalk.org/t4467p100-important-news-for-all-tel-owners-and-community-members

If the Telnames template would provide sub domains, I expect that people will actually use it.
    Otherwise everyone will use web hosting with .tel - and .tel will lose its unique selling point.
    mikeseaton
    mikeseaton
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

.tel domain : MIkeSeaton.tel

Post by mikeseaton 2016-12-17, 6:28 pm

silvano wrote:For replacing .tel sites with subdomains, what do you think about .directory?

Cost: few Euros.

The right suffix for directories: "my_town".directory, "family".directory, "my_company".directory 

Not worse than. tel

@silvano - the cost of registering a domain name pales into insignificance when you consider the hundreds of hours that usually goes into creating (ie. design/development/populating/marketing) a successful directory that will stand out from all the others on the internet !

As far as alternatives to the main extensions go my personal favourite is .ONLINE - I registered several the other day at Name.com - who had a "Happy Hour" where you could register new .ONLINE domains for just 99 Cents (+ VAT) each for a period of 60 minutes !

I stumbled upon Name.com's .ONLINE "Happy Hour" quite by accident - not sure if they do the same thing for .TEL ?

http://MikeSeaton.tel
    whatthetel

Post by whatthetel 2016-12-17, 11:02 pm

I put I don't care!, but I do.

Telhosting control panels everywhere are an unnecessary infrastructure and an unnecessary burden.

I became interested in tel due to the DNS database type concept and the potential syndication, I didn't choose tel because of the extension ending, it was the raw DNS that interested me in how it might be used and it was something to explore, the only main issues were always the template quality, content storage types/usages and the lack of updates to the control panel features for management, plus the lack of updates that could have been considered giant tech leaps into other products.

Sure I could have spent time coding tools myself but I should not have had too as like others I was busy with other things, they should have been in the control panel from the beginning as that was what I was paying my domain fees for, updates and development for the potential to use it in new and innovative ways.

And sure others made tools but they didn't always work out for me; for one reason or another, not their fault.

The problem with Telnic is they have all ready in their minds done everything the company was formed for and the product was developed towards, so why would they want to invest more? develop more? consolidation of service is just a way to cut costs. And opening the extension is just a way to recover losses as speculators buy into the domain; and give them another bump for this year.

That money is only going to running costs, overheads, ICANN fees and wages, it will not go into development beyond consolidation, i'm happy to be proven wrong but I don't believe development will occur as there is nothing for telnic to develop. Though we all can come up with ideas on how to squeeze more content into one page, telnic wont do it, as they say its ONE PAGE !! contact data only, and all the work they wanted to do has been done through Telnames, apps and all.

They are taking the privacy features offline, this was the service they refused to turn into a social media platform, so why would they develop anything innovative around tel if they refused last time and now get to completely purge this and other features.

I'm surprised Telnic didn't sponsor a hackathon or something, is it really that hard to put up a 1k prize for those at the event who can program tools and other stuff that works with tel? doing that for each of the 10 years would have developed developer interest, and minor tel sales on the back of it from tech individuals who are growing in the industry, and who would have then gone into major tech companies and pushed the interest of tel as they would have had it in their heads and could have pushed development into other products. 

I think if telnic offer the sub-domains to those who want to use them for a fee, without the switching providers rubbish everything would be almost okay, I think the switching providers rubbish is because if they provide it they'd have to provide the template with the sub domains, and as we know sub domains cost money to run, and telnic is hemorrhaging money, so no sub domains and no more development, and no other templates, their product is completed and refined in march and that's it.. other than app updates to ensure it works with new devices.

So it seems like with a one page template that the DNS concept for storage types and syndication is really not going to be developed further, as we know for a fact no one outside Chinese companies is really interested in it. And I don't think telnic want to develop the template to make greater use of the DNS as its complete in their eyes and would only cost them more money. 

So DNS storage concept - gone.

So why do I own tels now? what reason other than historic interest and keywords is there? no one will buy tel domains unlocked or not, though I was not looking to sell, I was holding for development and usage innovation by Telnic, opening up the extension to outside hosting helps us but also ruins the DNS storage concept which is why I was paying for tel as I wanted to see that grow and be around to use it when it did.

I would keep paying if the prices come down for those not using the new telnames hosting, but I really dont know why as the DNS was the whole reason I have tels, and this provider rubbish wont materialise. Why should I invest in running my own DNS for it? as I would end up paying crippling patent fees to telnic.

Why also should we have to wait until March to use the domains outside of telnics proxy? Just let the registrars unlock them Today! and redirect new signups and old users who didn't change the servers to the new hosting when you take it offline in March.. That's three months of wasted fees for those who might want to go it alone, but I don't even know if I want too, and I probably wont if I have to wait another 3 months on top of all these years.
    Ann Mike Matthews
    Ann Mike Matthews

Post by Ann Mike Matthews 2016-12-18, 6:45 am

It had a chance when it was first launched to the public but god it was ugly, and fronted with a bad actor.

so it deserves to fail over much better company like .club .and dare I say xyz

and one page .tel is bad for seo.
    let
    let

Post by let 2016-12-18, 12:12 pm

mikeseaton wrote:I stumbled upon Name.com's .ONLINE "Happy Hour" quite by accident - not sure if they do the same thing for .TEL ?

name.com is running the Happy Hour since long, but has never offered .tel with it.

With the Happy Hour, name.com is promoting TLD with potential.
    as
    as
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

Post by as 2016-12-19, 12:07 pm

I want the best for .tel.

• If web hosting would be good for .tel, then I will support it.
    • If web hosting would be bad for .tel, then I don't like it.

Honestly, I can't predict the future.

Therefore, I think it would be good to investigate the consequences first.
    Telnic shouldn't make a premature decision.
    But from what I observe, Telnic isn't doing anything for years and comes up with surprises suddenly later - without reconsideration of the effects of such initiatives.
    di7
    di7

Post by di7 2016-12-24, 5:45 am

Telnic will do the biggest mistake in .tel history that is possible.

Of course, it's the easiest way to allow web hosting with .tel in order not to invest any time in Telhosting anymore.

But if you think a little bit further, you will understand that this is the most terrible thing Telnic can do.

The DNS data storage offers an unique business model that has just not been discovered yet.
    Telnic will put this idea into the closet, because most .tel owners will publish their own websites now.

The great potential of .tel (that has never reached much awareness) will get lost with the upcoming changes, because Telhosting won't be the first choice of .tel registrants.
    This is the decision to let Telhosting die.

Telnic should rather concentrate on developing a Telhosting platform that satisfies customer needs.
    The community is waiting for this for 8 years.
    But instead of asking the customers, Telnic was always so lazy.

Now Telnic is digging its own grave!
    Expert
    Expert
    Insider
    Insider

Post by Expert 2016-12-24, 6:12 am

True!
    People don't need .tel for web hosting, because they have already thousand other TLDs for that.
    But when will we finally get a nice template for directories?
    The old Telnic templates have been not appealing at all.
    Sunrise
    Sunrise
    Insider
    Insider

Post by Sunrise 2016-12-24, 7:41 am

The problem is that Telnic has no interest in a success of .tel.
    Telnic only wants to collect money without a lot of effort!
    TelBlogger
    TelBlogger
    Insider
    Insider

Post by TelBlogger 2016-12-24, 1:12 pm

I don't understand the problem.

Who cares whether its the dns or regular, its a question of content not location.

I see general hosting as a massive plus.
    maxi
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Post by maxi 2016-12-24, 2:42 pm

TelBlogger wrote:I don't understand the problem.

Who cares whether its the dns or regular, its a question of content not location.
    TEL on DNS = super fast speed + mobile friendly + seach-engines friendly architecture + virus free + simple use of it even for noobs + cheap maintenance.

TEL on regular (normal) website = all minuses of regular website: i.e. you need to learn be a webmaster; need buy not only domain name, but also hosting; need to care about malware; etc. As the result, degradation of this gTLD in the eyes of search engines and potential customers, and further travel of this gTLD directly to the trash box of History.

In simple words: TEL was the only one blonde girl among 1000 brunettes. This blonde girl was naive and foolish enough, but she was unique. Then this blonde girl will paint her hair to a brunette's, then she will remain to be as foolish as she was before but at the same time she will stop to be unique. )
    Sunrise
    Sunrise
    Insider
    Insider

Post by Sunrise 2016-12-24, 6:49 pm

@maxi

Exactly!
    TelBlogger
    TelBlogger
    Insider
    Insider

Post by TelBlogger 2016-12-25, 6:58 am

maxi wrote:
    TelBlogger wrote:I don't understand the problem.

TEL on DNS = super fast speed + mobile friendly + seach-engines friendly architecture + virus free + simple use of it even for noobs + cheap maintenance.

TEL on regular (normal) website = all minuses of regular website: i.e. you need to learn be a webmaster; need buy not only domain name, but also hosting; need to care about malware; etc. As the result, degradation of this gTLD in the eyes of search engines and potential customers, and further travel of this gTLD directly to the trash box of History.

In simple words: TEL was the only one blonde girl among 1000 brunettes. This blonde girl was  naive and foolish enough, but she was unique. Then this blonde girl will paint her hair to a brunette's, then she will remain to be as foolish as she was before but at the same time she will stop to be unique. )
    When she was a blonde she was a pig-ugly quadriplegic with an IQ of 5 and full-blown aids.

Now as a brunette she will have the full use of her limbs, any IQ you choose and she can be supermodel beautiful. She can also do whatever you want.

And you guys want the blonde??? Really??
    maxi
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Post by maxi 2016-12-25, 8:03 am

TelBlogger wrote:When she was a blonde she was a pig-ugly ...

And you guys want the blonde??? Really??
    We want nice looking smart blonde.

And about this community is talking to Telnic in vain all these long seven and a half years.
    Sunrise
    Sunrise
    Insider
    Insider

Post by Sunrise 2016-12-25, 9:18 am

Yes, we want the blonde!
    But we want that this little, blonde, immature girl to become an attractive woman.
    Unfortunately Telnic had locked her into the nursery and never let her out.
    Hence she is still the little teenager impossible to have fun with, because she hasn't learned how to act like an adult!
    Toady Bucks
    Toady Bucks

Slogan : Find Info Fast

Post by Toady Bucks 2016-12-25, 8:56 pm

So .tel will be able to be hosted like any other domain extension, yahoo, whoot whoot and congrats. Get over it. I'm happy for you if you think regular hosting is the only way to go.

Not a substitute or compensation for losing DNS for those of us who understood .tel technology. We knew we could get regular hosting whenever we wanted it on other domains a long time ago.

Looking for positive solutions here. I think I like the one of Telnames with sub domains that a few people are suggesting.
    ixida
    ixida

Post by ixida 2016-12-26, 4:24 am

Toady Bucks wrote:Looking for positive solutions here. I think I like the one of Telnames with sub domains that a few people are suggesting.

When Telnames launched 5 years ago, that was the most discussed suggestion here on this forum, but until today Telnic hasn't heard us.

Post by 4444 2016-12-26, 4:49 am

ixida wrote:When Telnames launched 5 years ago, that was the most discussed suggestion here on this forum, but until today Telnic hasn't heard us.

That's right: https://www.google.com/search?q=site:teltalk.org+sub+domains

That's almost everything we ever wanted.
    Sunrise
    Sunrise
    Insider
    Insider

Post by Sunrise 2016-12-26, 5:25 pm

4444 wrote:That's right: https://www.google.com/search?q=site:teltalk.org+sub+domains

That's almost everything we ever wanted.

And it's very hard to imagine that we will ever see it, because Telnic has rejected any kind of work during the last years.
    Toady Bucks
    Toady Bucks

Slogan : Find Info Fast

Post by Toady Bucks 2016-12-26, 5:54 pm

Obviously the community has had some good ideas for a long time. I read back through a bunch of stuff and its right on the money.

So sad Telnic could have been successful long ago and all they had to do was pay attention.

All they have to do now is give Telnames sub domains or folders and it will be the best extension out there. Even then there will still be a lot of rebuilding for some folk. But Telnic will not be the one to give us the chance do it given their track record.

They don't think they need people who create and sneeze stuff. People who buy their one page template, I don't think many will actually bother to buy it anyway and they are just basically consumers anyhow.

Also sad that people are losing their sites. Even sadder is most feel powerless to do anything about this situation. After doing some reading on this forum I don't blame them. If they have to rebuild on their own hosting or the fabled "Third Party Solution Providers" they wont promote the extension .tel. anymore out of spite I'm guessing.

Scary to think a registry can wipe out content on already live registered domains. ICANN is letting them, so can this happen in reverse? Could a lesser known extension like .tel say sorry folks we are going to a template you must use it instead of your own hosting now. Bye Bye to your content or whatever you created, you must use this now. I think those people would sure as heck make some noise. Gosh forbid Telnic decides to take the option of self hosting away in future. But we would just all adapt like we are going to do now.

Post by 4444 2016-12-27, 3:30 am

Toady Bucks wrote:If they have to rebuild on their own hosting or the fabled "Third Party Solution Providers" they wont promote the extension .tel. anymore out of spite I'm guessing.

Very clearly, this is another downside:
    First, customers are very disappointed by Telnic.
    Second, directory builders will lose their content.
    Third, since .tel owners have to back up their websites and have to transfer all data to a web hosting service manually, why should they continue using .tel for this purpose?

If .tel owners are forced to build their website again, they can do it right away with a different domain extension.
    By doing so, they don't need to be afraid of getting hacked by Telnic again.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 2024-04-29, 10:13 am