The .TEL Community on the .TEL Domain Forum!

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

+11
maxi
let
mikeseaton
dottel.net
Tely
mic
Boracay
Expert
whatthetel
di7
Toady Bucks
15 posters

So lets let those .tel solution providers know a head of time what we would like to have rather than whining about it afterwards.

Toady Bucks
    Toady Bucks

Slogan : Find Info Fast
    Warning level : 100 %

So lets let those .tel solution providers know a head of time what we would like to have rather than whining about it afterwards. Empty So lets let those .tel solution providers know a head of time what we would like to have rather than whining about it afterwards.

Post by Toady Bucks 2016-12-23, 3:03 pm

Assuming the possible "Telhosting" solution providers will read this forum it might be good to give them some "feed forward" as I like to say.

Only constructive stuff guys and gals unless of course you can be funny and not too negative.
    di7
    di7

So lets let those .tel solution providers know a head of time what we would like to have rather than whining about it afterwards. Empty Re: So lets let those .tel solution providers know a head of time what we would like to have rather than whining about it afterwards.

Post by di7 2016-12-23, 3:11 pm

I guess that's not so difficult.

The missing thing for .tel is a Telhosting platform with the look of Telnames and with subdomains.

The community is requesting this for 5 years already.
    whatthetel

So lets let those .tel solution providers know a head of time what we would like to have rather than whining about it afterwards. Empty Re: So lets let those .tel solution providers know a head of time what we would like to have rather than whining about it afterwards.

Post by whatthetel 2016-12-23, 6:07 pm

Maybe I don't know what I'm taking about; but here is some stuff.

I know the focus is on sub domains but:

If its for a single page telname type: with 1-5 sub domains.

If we're locked into 1 page, but allowed for 1 sub domain in place of the main domains content lookup, eg allow for the redirecting the top of the domain to the sub domain; how ever deep it's requested for SEO, marketing and preference.

Eg top.tel redirects to my.top.tel, or top.tel, and my.top.tel redirects to get.my.top.tel, and so on and so forth; with anything in-between (deep) redirecting to the "active content" sub domain chosen.. technically your getting more than one sub domain if you go any deeper but its only "1 active content sub domain", and as it only redirects anything in-between, and as you only end up with the same one page content it should not be too much to ask?, it's just a way to target sub combinations but stay within the one page limit.

This so if we don't want to develop some tel domains but want to use a sub domain or a multi level deep sub domain instead of the top level keyword, or brand being the main entry point, we can do so without too much fuss and breaking of "their" one page ethos, but still get the lookups directing to the right content, and we can run marketing/seo while still being in a one page rendering lock.

Event and or marketing that is not event1brand.tel eg brand.tel redirects to event1.brand.tel in year one, and then brand.tel and event1.brand.tel redirects to event2.brand.tel in year two, but keep redirecting old established SEO sub domains back to the updated "active" one to keep traffic flowing in from old yearly entry points, but provide the up to date content on that one page.

Allow a redirect sub domain on a one page ethos to be changed at anytime, but the proxy should only redirect one sub domain you picked on a per year basis out of however many you migrated through that year, to prevent sub domain seo spamming. eg 10 years in you might have 9-10 old urls redirecting to your new sub domain or main domain, have used 300 but only picked 10 to stay active redirects, but not 11 or more, allow people to pick which get grandfathered in and the rest get dumped to a generic proxy 404s or blocked outright, to allow yearly flow through but prevent as above seo spamming.

I think 1 grandfathered sub domain redirect per year is fair.

We had redirects before so I don't see why we can't get that back in a strange new form around this one page lock, as it will still be "one page of content" it's just slightly bending the definition of one rendered page, allowing for flexibility in redirects and will help with SEO, and will ensure we keep paying.

A little bit of breathing room is always good, newtel should not be a jail.

Can we get away from this 1 year minimum for some domain purchases? or is that from ICANN and set in law? quick registered domains without people being able to pick and flip them in an ultra short time frame or use them for spamming should be acceptable.

Allow quick reduced price (time limited) purchase of event2brand.tel so as to redirect to event2.brand.tel when purchased through the control panel of brand.tel, and of which is locked into brand.tel for the shortened duration, and can only be used as a redirect for marketing purposes unless they pay up the remaining time as a full registration.

So time limited marketing campaigns can be ran without high overhead in domain costs, who cares if someone else picks up event2brand.tel or thisevent2brand.tel as it expires when the event did. This would encourage pick ups of obscure domains that might have otherwise been overlooked to run on marketing boards or leaflets that have expiry dates themselves, heck if its a big event maybe a super fan would pick up and maintain the domain, producing long term revenue for the registry from something that would otherwise be discarded, or never registered in the first place. As long as they don't try to extort brand.tel I don't see it as a problem as anyone could have registered it anyway.

Give brand.tel the ability to flag event2brand.tel for the registrar to look into before they go down the udrp, and let that request appear in event2brand.tel's control panel or push notification, to give them warning and a list of options for content update/amendment requests, before they go down the udrp.

A sort of content mediation like with YouTube, where you get flagged and can counter challenge and go to court (udrp) if you challenge or refuse amendments, so as to come to some middle ground to amend content before wasting money just to take or protect one domain from someone.

So show content amendment requests from a brand owner in the control panel if flagged by a brand.

If directory type:
    Unlimited sub domains or limited but:
    The rental of a private DNS server for expanded record capacity?
    (I see old Tel as basically a shared DNS eg normal shared web hosting, with hosting limits, lets have the ability to rent a DNS server with one click and transfer our content in at the same time, taking payment from a paypal account that is authorised in the control panel or app, so we have our own space/server to add as many records as we can pay for without the setup headaches).

Lets see the ability to expand the DNS servers we can bring online, like with Amazon cloud being elastic depending on usage, lookup's, and content storage needs.

So we can publish large content lists or data blocks, that get uploaded into our rented on the fly DNS, and they expand as we publish more and more content records.

Allow those uploads to overwrite records if they exist, and inject more as required, but don't mangle the data like with old tel as uploads destroyed hand rending of content (styling) and was just injected data with no styling, the styling was important as whats the point of having a backup or something to inject if you still have to go through 100,000 records to fix the styling and layout of the records through the control panel.

The keywords should have had layout flags, numbers that we don't see but the proxy does so content gets rendered 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 and not at random ,5,2,2,2,4,6,8.

People at one point wanted to do stories, and other content and could not do so, because telnic refused to allow content to be locked into a set layout in the keywords section, this caused jumbled blocks of words.

Its nice the Telnames type has PDF's but is there any reason we cant store a story or other words based content, on a hidden sub domain and render it out as a scrollable text in a box, and can can flick pages? by pulling content from sub domain 1 2 3 4 5, which never get displayed outside of this box? its still all on one page, its just displaying content from a hidden source.

Allow cross authorisation flags to pull content from separate DNS servers, and inject it into the rendering of the requested proxy, by setting records that are flags(keys) for whom is allowed to do so.

what the tel am I on about?

I know in the past people didn't like the rendering of their content on normal web pages with adverts as they thought it was stealing. But two separate teldns/domains should be able to cross render content, not duplicate it in record form in the same or separate DNS. If the records are there all ready don't duplicate content records, be efficient in the rendering of it to save space. ??

Example, Dave has information about a particular movie he made on mymovie.tel, and James has a directory of movie listings. topmovies.tel, why cant eg with the old privacy system they become "friends" and are authorised to import content into each others proxy renderings just by setting data keys/flags that only the proxy can decrypt? so Dave can have snippets of information about his movie (updatable in real time) appear in the directory of James without James having to update it or provide access for Dave to edit topmovies.tel.

As the proxy is pulling DNS information, so should it be able to import content from other private DNS services either telnic ran, tel solution provider ran, or private ran (if telnic open up the control panel software and anything else they don't need and put it on github).

Allow managers but let them upload content via email attached data to override existing content, not everyone is tech savvy some might just prefer to email spreadsheets, why cant these get processed and added to the DNS? as long as they use a template I don't see many problems just reject anything that is not "Standard layout".

All the setting of our own layout templates for emailed content, as above.

Now this sounds naughty, "sectional rendering", on demand rendering of content from multiple DNS lookups.

If like above we can include cross DNS content from multiple tel DNS's into a look up on random.tel, through FLAGGED friendships:

Eg A page (sub domain/domain) contains the content from 3 external telDNS servers and our own, don't render the whole page, let users click a button to request that content as per the section its stored. So we don't end up with 3 hits to the 3 external DNS servers driving up costs in one go, only provide the content that is required, not everything in one go when its not always needed..

Eg a section could be a search box, that does not render the content until a search is made, but pre-checks the external DNS servers and content has permission to render, as a list or result but waits for the users input request.

So a user puts in tesla, they were searching from a section on newcars.tel, as newcars.tel and tesla.tel are friend flagged, content from the tesla.tel DNS is allowed to render in newcars.tel for the lookup search.

We currently had search all or the search this tel, but it needs to be lookups from flagged friends content, based on the requested entry point but needs to stay on the domain.tel, not redirected to the proxy search eg http://d0.webproxy.nic.tel/search/domain.tel/fghfhdfh/ as that confuses people.

I'm sure there is much more we need, and I'm sure you all can come up with ideas.
    Toady Bucks
    Toady Bucks

Slogan : Find Info Fast

Post by Toady Bucks 2016-12-23, 6:30 pm

Wowsers What The Tel. I hope the new providers can understand what it is you would like. It went way over my head. Sounds like you have the chops to build your own solution maybe.
    Expert
    Expert
    Insider
    Insider

Post by Expert 2016-12-24, 6:24 am

I don't think that we need much, because the Telnames template is already good.
    But without sub domains, it's useless!
    Boracay
    Boracay

Post by Boracay 2016-12-29, 1:09 am

so many wasted hours where our requests went unanswered or never acknowledged. Those few that were acknowledged went to an internal never never.

Can you give us any follow up as to who is a new provider?
    I have shelved projects that are waiting direction, waiting to see what other negatives surprises are just around the corner.

Can you share a positive??
    mic
    mic

Post by mic 2016-12-29, 2:31 am

welcome back, boracay.
    i've just started experimental page.
    converted subdomain to directory.

http://telwp.com/examples/
    Tely
    Tely

Post by Tely 2016-12-29, 2:38 am

Boracay wrote:Can you share a positive??

After the youngest announcement, I don't expect that we will see any other developments or surprises than this very soon:
    http://www.teltalk.org/t4467-important-news-for-all-tel-owners-and-community-members

For some, web hosting comes as a positive improvement.
    While most comments regarding the upcoming changes are very skeptical, we can expect to see some nicely developed .tel sites under Wordpress and other tools next year.
    dottel.net
    dottel.net

Post by dottel.net 2016-12-29, 6:48 am

Been away from .tel for a while but had to jump in and give my two cents...

For anyone wanting to keep a directory:
    1. Take a copy of your content
    2. It's not a massive project to have a web developer spin up a new website to serve up this content
    3. For anyone wanting to keep their subdomain urls etc again, it's not a massive project to do some url rewriting to serve up content on these urls

What this would mean is for an end user of your .tel they would see no difference.  Advantage you'd get is you are no longer limited to the 3k subdomain limit, can build out the page however you like etc.  Disadvantage of course for those that used the admin panels to author content (not sure why anyone would though), you've lost that.  You could again work with a web developer to build out an interface for this.

KEY POINT -> unless you already have a copy of your content, create a backup now otherwise after the cut off you have no options.

I was tempted to get one of my developers to do the above for all my .tel directories as it's not a huge project but personally I see this as the right time to part ways with the numerous directories we've built and trim my portfolio to just single keyword domains I can see some future possibility of building out a website on down the line.  Already put more time and effort into building .tel tools etc then we should of in hindsight.

Anyway - that's just my two cents for what it's worth!

Good luck and Happy New Year!
    maxi
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Post by maxi 2016-12-29, 3:22 pm

mic wrote:welcome back, boracay.
    i've just started experimental page.
    converted subdomain to directory.

http://telwp.com/examples/
    I think it was a wise decision to choose COM for your website. It is better to be independent from all future caprices of Telnic. Building website on a reliable extension will save time, work and money. : )
    mikeseaton
    mikeseaton
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

.tel domain : MIkeSeaton.tel

Post by mikeseaton 2016-12-30, 9:38 am

dottel.net wrote:I was tempted to get one of my developers to do the above for all my .tel directories as it's not a huge project but personally I see this as the right time to part ways with the numerous directories we've built and trim my portfolio to just single keyword domains I can see some future possibility of building out a website on down the line. 

Welcome back @dottel.net - even if it's only for a brief visit !

Gotta say I agree with your comment above (bolded red) - the decisions have been made for March 2017 onwards and we need to either ACCEPT THJEM (single page Telnames template with an alternative of normal DNS web hosting) OR QUIT - there is no third path that's going to suddenly appear !

http://MikeSeaton.tel

PS. No-one said Life - or Telnic - was Fair but PRAGMATISM RULES OK !
    let
    let

Post by let 2016-12-30, 3:51 pm

mikeseaton wrote:... there is no third path that's going to suddenly appear !

Another option is the following:

https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/269555

Please read also:

https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/246032
    mikeseaton
    mikeseaton
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

.tel domain : MIkeSeaton.tel

Post by mikeseaton 2016-12-30, 4:14 pm

let wrote:
    mikeseaton wrote:... there is no third path that's going to suddenly appear !

Another option is the following:

https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/269555

Please read also:

https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/246032

@let - I was referring to a third path for .TEL that  is not going to suddenly appear !

Obviously many of the New gTLDs have the potential to compete with .TEL March 2017 onwards offer of "normal" DNS web hosting - but they do NOT compete with the Telnames single page format offer that includes maintenance software and hosting in the registration fee !

http://MikeSeaton.tel
    maxi
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Post by maxi 2016-12-30, 9:06 pm

If Telnic want to compete in Internet World with its single page, he could get a big disappointment.

Few years ago .mp (top-level domain for Northern Mariana Islands) also provided free single page format. And they proposed even more - not only hosting but and their domains then were also for free, except of English single words: such words were available for 20$ each.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.mp#Chi.mp
    Saipan DataCom formerly operated chi.mp, a content hub and identity management platform providing .mp domains and websites. Old free .mp registrations provided earlier by chi.mp were terminated without a notice and the chi.mp web site has been defunct since at least May 2013

In few days after the beginning of operation they got (if I am not mistaken) few millions "customers".

But that single page included to the offer bring them no success, because now for just 100$ (with renewal price - 20$) you can get there many of "dream-domains" you could desire.

For example such keywords are still available (today):

http://get.mp/domains/search?domain=jewelry
    Good news! jewelry.mp is available.
    Good news! NewYork.mp is available

London, Paris, Artist and many many others are also are still available.

It seems that nobody wants these nice single English names in MP. Instead people for their needs prefer to register three-four-words COMs or buy from resellers two-words COMs for much bigger money.
    maxi
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Post by maxi 2016-12-30, 9:21 pm

Their pages and dashboard panel looked like bellow:

So lets let those .tel solution providers know a head of time what we would like to have rather than whining about it afterwards. Http%3A%2F%2Fmashable.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2009%2F03%2Fchimp-domain

So lets let those .tel solution providers know a head of time what we would like to have rather than whining about it afterwards. Http%3A%2F%2Fmashable.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2009%2F03%2Fjbruinmp

So lets let those .tel solution providers know a head of time what we would like to have rather than whining about it afterwards. Http%3A%2F%2Fmashable.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2009%2F03%2Fchimp-contacts

P.S.
    I am sorry, I said wrong - they offered not a one single page, but at least few pages.
    TelBlogger
    TelBlogger
    Insider
    Insider

Post by TelBlogger 2016-12-31, 12:20 am

And it looks a lot better than a .tel.
    Sunrise
    Sunrise
    Insider
    Insider

Post by Sunrise 2016-12-31, 3:16 am

@maxi

I remember the .mp domains, because I registered one myself before they shut down their free hosting service.
    .mp was very similar to .tel, but .mp was much more advanced - and it failed greatly.
    .mp is a very good proof that the .tel concept can't succeed!

Post by 4444 2016-12-31, 3:53 am

Sunrise wrote:.mp is a very good proof that the .tel concept can't succeed!

The best proof that the .tel concept can't succeed is .tel itself.
    TelBlogger
    TelBlogger
    Insider
    Insider

Post by TelBlogger 2016-12-31, 5:41 am

Sunrise wrote:@maxi

I remember the .mp domains, because I registered one myself before they shut down their free hosting service.
    .mp was very similar to .tel, but .mp was much more advanced - and it failed greatly.
    .mp is a very good proof that the .tel concept can't succeed!

No, it is just weak evidence that Telhosting can't succeed.

Telnic has realized this and now knows the only way to make money long term is to take away the disadvantages of .tel; namely the fact it can not be hosted.
    maxi
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Post by maxi 2016-12-31, 6:34 am

TelBlogger wrote:Telnic has realized this and now knows the only way to make money long term is to take away the disadvantages of .tel; namely the fact it can not be hosted.
    In MP extention you can make a normal (regular) website (i.e. it can be hosted). But this does not helped them.

What especial trumps a normal (regular) website on TEL will have in comparison with that MP? I think it will have no trumps. So by what reasons people should choose TEL for building on it their normal websites? I personally do not see such reasons.

TelBlogger wrote:No, it is just weak evidence that Telhosting can't succeed.
    Single page TEL (Telnames format) can't succeed. Not the TEL with subdomains. It seems, that only about 1000 people use now Telnames single-page format. For sure, those people who use subdomains will not desire to have one-page TEL. So the number of one-page TELs will remain about 1000 TELs.

Why Telnic had decided to cancel subdomains? Do it  costed additional money for Telnic to keep them further?

Last edited by maxi on 2016-12-31, 7:03 am; edited 1 time in total
    TelBlogger
    TelBlogger
    Insider
    Insider

Post by TelBlogger 2016-12-31, 7:02 am

Some great tools to build your new .tel directories:

https://www.appthemes.com/themes/vantage/

and

https://wpgeodirectory.com/?ref=gt

Anyone used these before for any normal domain extension?

Post by 4444 2016-12-31, 4:16 pm

maxi wrote:Why Telnic had decided to cancel subdomains? Do it  costed additional money for Telnic to keep them further?

No sub domains have been developed for Telnames in the past. This old template will be used with its current settings for all Telnic customers.

If sub domains are wanted to added, they would require development effort of one or maximum two days.
    Telnic is not willing to invest this time into this project.

That's the one and only reason!
    Ann Mike Matthews
    Ann Mike Matthews

Post by Ann Mike Matthews 2017-01-01, 10:01 pm

Google killed directories 
    need to think of something else I think....
    not sure what Tel even means now, thanks to NGtld everything changed.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 2024-04-29, 7:48 am