The .TEL Community on the .TEL Domain Forum!

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

+23
Alex
lostwithiel
NewYorkCity
hulltv
Fev2
Watcher
kprobe
supercyberheroes
maxi
as
TELwax
ixida
let
ProjectTel
Sunrise
Boracay
mikeseaton
Telnot
Expert
Tim Spears
Tely
27 posters

Telnic Announces All-numeric Long Domain Strings Available from 15th October 2013

Expert
    Expert
    Insider
    Insider

Warning level : 100 %

Telnic Announces All-numeric Long Domain Strings Available from 15th October 2013 - Page 3 Empty Re: Telnic Announces All-numeric Long Domain Strings Available from 15th October 2013

Post by Expert 2013-09-20, 3:20 pm

supercyberheroes wrote:perseverance is my hobby.
    That's a good trait; and I don't want to convince you dropping such a nice domain name.
    But the previous owner of movie.tel spent $300 in the year 2009 and was not interested in spending only $10 to renew it. That's not a good sign.

Another suggestion for you:
    Register boxofficemovietrailers.com and combine movie.tel with it.
    This way you can design your templates without limits (on the .com).
    supercyberheroes
    supercyberheroes

Telnic Announces All-numeric Long Domain Strings Available from 15th October 2013 - Page 3 Empty Re: Telnic Announces All-numeric Long Domain Strings Available from 15th October 2013

Post by supercyberheroes 2013-09-20, 4:32 pm

Expert wrote:
    supercyberheroes wrote:perseverance is my hobby.
    That's a good trait; and I don't want to convince you dropping such a nice domain name.
    But the previous owner of movie.tel spent $300 in the year 2009 and was not interested in spending only $10 to renew it. That's not a good sign.

Another suggestion for you:
    Register boxofficemovietrailers.com and combine movie.tel with it.
    This way you can design your templates without limits (on the .com).
    Someone drop cinema.tel, also books, ebook and videogame, and I got them on back order, I was thinking to building them like movie.tel, especially videogame.tel, but I decided to wait until movie.tel do really well, right now I have around 110 folders in movie.tel and every week I add 2 or 3 new top box office, and 2 or 3 coming soon, and in around 2 years time, I could have nearly 3000 folders, right now movie.tel have 900 viewers per month and 4000 pages view for around 20 countries.

If you go to any movie.tel page you will see images like this: http://insidious-chapter-2.box-office.movie.tel if you click on the picture or links, it will send you to amazon in UK and USA and you will land on a poster page and I get commission if you buy it.
    My idea is: One day when my movie.tel be popular I will invest some money to sell my own posters in amazon, I will be like a poster shop keeper, but online; this is my plan B, I will not do that if my plan A works.

Regarding my plan A, I can not talk about it yet, but when the time come I will, if I success, that of course I will, I would show to everyone that it's possible to live with some .tel domains, but will no happen soon, may be in 1.5 or 2 years time.

Regarding 8589595895058.tel I will buy only 5 and I will buy more in the future if things goes well.

Regards

www.movie.tel
    Boracay
    Boracay

Post by Boracay 2013-09-20, 5:16 pm

Why would you buy long numbers at this time? There is no company marketing material as yet to offer much insight. Perhaps telnic is partnering up with a telco. this was a technical restriction on the gtld, now to be lifted. I think there needs to be more information available as to the benefits or vision for a long number .tel
    supercyberheroes
    supercyberheroes

Post by supercyberheroes 2013-09-20, 6:35 pm

Boracay wrote:Why would you buy long numbers at this time? There is no company marketing material as yet to offer much insight. Perhaps telnic is partnering up with a telco. this was a technical restriction on the gtld, now to be lifted. I think there needs to be more information available as to the benefits or vision for a long number .tel
    I want to buy just few as #s are premium too.
    But, yes you right we need more information, people are more carefull or use the money more wise

Regards

www.movie.tel
    maxi
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Post by maxi 2013-09-21, 6:51 am

I would not spend money on numerics TEL, even on premium ones. This would be a pure waste of money.
    TELwax
    TELwax
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

Post by TELwax 2013-09-21, 1:16 pm

@expert :  Interesting post N°46 carved  about how 86868686886.TEL could be useful, not to call , but to retrieve.

First point, this is not name calling, this is traditionnal calling PLUS a TEL context pop up, and this is interesting.

BUT then the question is how to trigger such services  reaseonnably  without being obliged to have reached earlier critical mass of numbers registrered as TEL , otherwise chicken and egg issue.
    The application should not require to change way of dialling, and should show results if there are results, otherwise keep silent although running.

Possibly WITH an app running (if possible, better than the obvious calling THROUGH an app , thus not requiring to change any usage adopted by billions, which jeopardize penetration rate) that can monitor the call intent and prompting a new splitted screen with the traditionnal call processing info below, and additional window or layer where the result of TEL query are offered from display is this number is a registered also as a TEL (but possibly more difficult as some Smartphones won't be able to run 2 tasks simultaneously and split sreen display once a call is processed).

Still some smart logic to thing about,  to decode the call context based on the country of origination ( as the call might be triggered in national format in 98% of the usecases and not in international format for a national call ) and the app has to decide  what TELs if they exists are the most adequate answers (not show too many potential TEL resulting from different country codes if registred, diluting any potential benefit)

hmmm... some more thoughts of the usecase still ahead I guess, to finetune to some final usecase  ?
    Watcher
    Watcher

Post by Watcher 2013-09-27, 10:01 am

TELwax
    TELwax
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

Post by TELwax 2013-09-27, 12:47 pm

So, if I get your point, one should focus on how to convert the value of a phone number locked inside a numbering plan (telecom infrastructure), into some related value of the same number in internet domain naming plan.

so far hmmm....

dig someone recently investigated into Phone Books redirection for IP phone Dect handsets ?

see http://enor.me/b/index.php?post/2009/04/25/Redirect-Gigaset-phonebook-to-tel-the-universal-phonebook-from-Telnic 

are phone books of long number TELs an potential answer, phonebook redirection can be used on IP Phones display... ? answer until 15th of october, after, it is too late...
    Expert
    Expert
    Insider
    Insider

Post by Expert 2013-09-27, 5:09 pm

TELwax wrote:see http://enor.me/b/index.php?post/2009/04/25/Redirect-Gigaset-phonebook-to-tel-the-universal-phonebook-from-Telnic 

are phone books of long number TELs an potential answer, phonebook redirection can be used on IP Phones display... ? answer until 15th of october, after, it is too late...
    In the example above the domain ovh.tel was used.
    It's easy to lookup the phone number (the NAPTR entry) of any .tel.
    In case a company doesn't want to give away its phone number hard to remember, it could use company.tel or 123123123.tel instead.
    Both possibilities would bring a benefit since they are easier to dial.
    But as long phone manufactures don't implement the NAPTR lookup, nobody will hear about .tel.
    mikeseaton
    mikeseaton
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

.tel domain : MIkeSeaton.tel

Post by mikeseaton 2013-09-27, 5:34 pm

Expert wrote:But as long phone manufactures don't implement the NAPTR lookup, nobody will hear about .tel.
    As Henri Asseily - the CTO of Telnic/Telnames - has clearly stated this is NOT GOING TO HAPPEN WITHOUT CRITICAL MASS first being achieved !

Do you ever get the feeling the .tel project is going round in ever-decreasing circles ?

It needs a BIG IDEA - now !

http://MikeSeaton.tel

Last edited by mikeseaton on 2013-09-27, 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Expert
    Expert
    Insider
    Insider

Post by Expert 2013-09-27, 5:42 pm

mikeseaton wrote:Do you ever get the feeling the .tel project is going round in ever-decreasing circles ?
    Exactly: No critical mass without Telco deal AND no Telco deal without critical mass!

mikeseaton wrote:It needs a BIG IDEA - now !
    Forum members have created at least two BIG IDEAS long time ago:
    1.) A .tel directory
    2.) A CMS for pro .tels
    maxi
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Post by maxi 2013-09-27, 6:05 pm

Expert wrote:Exactly: No critical mass without Telco deal AND no Telco deal without critical mass!
    And the third variant, which do not depends of existence or non-existence of the critical mass: no Telco interest in TEL until Telco buy Telnic. And this could happen not earlier then 2016-2018, after Telnic will be brought to the bankruptcy.
    Expert
    Expert
    Insider
    Insider

Post by Expert 2013-09-27, 6:36 pm

maxi wrote:And this could happen not earlier then 2016-2018, after Telnic will be brought to the bankruptcy.
    THAT won't happen.
    Telnic will get another cash injection as soon the initial $35m are empty.
    Boracay
    Boracay

Post by Boracay 2013-09-27, 10:51 pm

Public Investors have google to make further intelligent research outside of company presented materials. You can call the CEO and ask questions too
    maxi
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Post by maxi 2013-09-28, 3:05 am

Expert wrote:
    maxi wrote:And this could happen not earlier then 2016-2018, after Telnic will be brought to the bankruptcy.
    THAT won't happen.
    Telnic will get another cash injection as soon the initial $35m are empty.
    If so, then the interest of Telco to invest in this idea will never happen. Because nobody would like to invest his money in a business, which does not belong to him.

Also, in my opinion, nobody in healthy senses would like to have a partner with a reputation, which this company try to establish.

Conclusion - that dream with long numeric numbers will never happen. The exception is the variant when shareholders will open their eyes and change all the top-management of the company.
    Sunrise
    Sunrise
    Insider
    Insider

Post by Sunrise 2013-09-28, 6:20 am

maxi wrote:The exception is the variant when shareholders will open their eyes and change all the top-management of the company.
    I could imagine that the shareholders aren't satisfied with the current management:
    https://registrarstats.com/TLDHistoryChart.aspx?TLDName=TEL
    TELwax
    TELwax
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

Post by TELwax 2013-09-28, 8:40 am

@Maxi

I do not think they are much dream about long numbers.
    it rather look that the Registry has low profile , too low profile, on it.
    Some usecase for long numbers have to be put on the table , otherwise it will definitively be a non event.
    So far anyone expect the originator of a technology to at least evangelize it , then the market decides. It there is not enough or not appropriate stroy telling and marketing, nothing happens of course, although some may dream about success by "accident".

So listing potential usecases, explaining to Joe public, and let the market decide is the way.

So far there are no so numerous potential usecases of long number discussed so far, so may be it is better to see why and how they could work, rather than immediately bury them, anyway after the 15th of oct, the subject will be DONE, set based on capability of Registry and Registrars to convince or be convinced by the product/service . 

@all  let us do not escape into other out-of-this-thread considerations, how funny or objective they could be.

The question still is : what list of reasonable potential usecases for long numbers do we have in hands after weeks of posts here ?
    If none, conlusion is clear.
    If some, let's dig further .
    mikeseaton
    mikeseaton
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Post by mikeseaton 2013-09-28, 11:05 am

Today T***** announced major deals with Telcos in the UK and USA to link EVERY ACTIVE PHONE NUMBER their users have (running into tens of millions) with their own SINGLE POINT OF CONTACT WEB SITE.
    So if your phone number is 441234567890 (44 being the UK's country code) you get a web site named 441234567890.tel automatically generated for you with your basic contact information already loaded from the Telco's user records.

Each phone user will then be able to customise it by adding their own data - an example of how it could look is shown here

This revolutionary approach to everyone having their own SINGLE POINT OF CONTACT WEB SITE, directly linked to their main phone number, is expected to be taken up by major Telcos worldwide.

SUCH A SIMPLE SOLUTION !

PS. Note to myself - stop daydreaming !
    Fev2
    Fev2

Post by Fev2 2013-09-28, 11:18 am

TELwax wrote:The question still is : what list of reasonable potential usecases for long numbers do we have in hands after weeks of posts here ?
    I try to answer this question from Telnic's point of view:

With long numeric .tels Telnic is only cancelling a former restriction forced by competitors (GoDaddy and others) to ensure that no limitation will obstruct any future ideas.
    But Telnic has no actual plan to make marketing for it or to widen the usage of .tel.

Telnic only delivers the DNS infrastructure; Telnic expects that partners (e.g. registrars) will deliver everything else (proper design, directory, new templates, tools, etc).
    Telnic don't want to develop .tel itself; Telnic will wait until these partners come along (doesn't matter how long it takes).

As Mike pointed out everything beyond this is only a daydream.
    Boracay
    Boracay

Post by Boracay 2013-09-28, 6:06 pm

A few individuals snapped a few thousand each of key character  .tel domains. So telnic makes money for a few years. But single point of contact idea railroaded 

Hope same not happen with numbers.
    Should really be a mass deal in place before 15th October with a telco
    kprobe
    kprobe
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

Post by kprobe 2013-09-28, 9:09 pm

I see value in these at the personal level, among family and friends. Don't (yet) see the need at the business level.
    Mark
    mikeseaton
    mikeseaton
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Post by mikeseaton 2013-09-28, 10:10 pm

kprobe wrote:I see value in these at the personal level, among family and friends. Don't (yet) see the need at the business level.
    TOTALLY DISAGREE - I BELIEVE THE REVERSE IS TRUE !

Many people are a bit "iffy" (quite understandably) about displaying their personal contact details online for all the world to see - what they would like is for some form of "friending" system so that only the chosen few can see these contact details.

But for business it's totally different - you want as many customers as possible to be able to contact you - through whatever medium they prefer to use - what you really need is a SINGLE POINT OF CONTACT web site to make it easy for them to do this.

This will become even more important as businesses start to use many of the nearly 2000 new gTLDs coming onstream - so much easier just to have to remember a single .tel identity (whether a name or number).

It's important to appreciate that only a handful of businesses in the world will get to register a KeywordName.tel applicable to their own business category, but an unlimited number can register their own DomainNumber.tel and then promote that as the SINGLE POINT OF CONTACT on all their marketing efforts.

What I also like is the idea of prefixing the DomainNumber.tel with the Country Code (44 for the UK) which immediately provides some structure for a Tel Global Directory when someone finally decides to build it !

Tim Spears
    Tim Spears

Post by Tim Spears 2013-09-29, 5:21 am

If .tel would be widespread, individuals and businesses could profit from it. If search engine optimization for .tel would be better, website developers could profit from it, too.
    Both are not the case. It doesn't matter if we are talking about letters or numbers for domain names.

With the current .tel configuration only Telnic can profit from it by earning registration and renewal fees.
    kprobe
    kprobe
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

Post by kprobe 2013-09-29, 8:27 am

Mike, people remember the phone numbers they call often, like family and friends. So personal .tel phone numbers make much more sense than business .tel numbers. Who remembers a merchant or telco or gas company phone number? The only biz #'s that people remember have a jingle, like nine six seven eleven eleven for our local pizza.
    www.Mark.tel
    Expert
    Expert
    Insider
    Insider

Post by Expert 2013-09-29, 10:34 am

kprobe wrote:The only biz #'s that people remember have a jingle, like nine six seven eleven eleven for our local pizza.
    For the phone number of a business 66666666 would be better suited than mixed numbers.
    Before 15th October only seven digits are allowed for .tel (6666666.tel); next month 666666-666666.tel is possible.
    That means more choices for businesses in case they will ever hear about .tel.
    But to reach significance Telnic needs to create attention for .tel with different (known) activities:
    http://www.teltalk.org/t1466p56-telnic-announces-all-numeric-long-domain-strings-available-from-15th-october-2013#8871

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 2024-04-29, 5:30 am