The .TEL Community on the .TEL Domain Forum!

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

.tel Promotion and Advertisement

Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

.tel Promotion and Advertisement Empty .tel Promotion and Advertisement

Post by Telnic 2014-12-31, 5:41 pm

Shahid11-18-2009 09:15 AM

.tel Promotion and Advertisement

Hello,

First of all my apologies to anyone who does not agree with me in anyway, but i would like to point out a few things that can be worked on.

.tel was Launched in march 2009 since then lots of people have registered their domains
    a) 70% Domainers
    b) 20% Private use
    c) 10% organizations or companies

the below figure might be wrong in the % but the way i have aligned it i feel the same.
    The .tel ad which came out sparked a bulb for a lot of us and the success it can achieve.

.tel is no doubt the best and the most easiest way of communication and trying to get hold of anyone, anytime, anywhere in the world. i own about 280 of them or more as i stopped counting and hardly can remember them at times

Every product in the world needs promotion especially for something like this i think massive marketing is needed, not only forum based or conference based, we all need to know .tel is a key to simplicity of communication for normal people not just domainers/investors so we should also target public places where people who have no knowledge about technology but do use their email can grab them one too

Target of .tel is General Public and we need to have advertisements publicly then just in events for which alot of us don't even have time and neither do they know about, but if advertisement were done on billboards ( like they are done in Vancouver ) or in public areas like malls or shopping centers it will attract huge crowds just to know what is going on, as your neighbour if he went to an IT exhibition recently most probably the answer would be no, but at the same time if you ask him if he went to a mall he would say yes because that's where he brings his stuff from.

so if ads like these or public booths are placed in malls or public areas surely it will take notice, we all are waiting for Telpages.com but i would also like to know out of the 200K + domains how many are even populated i know out of 280 of mine only 3-8 are populated that's not the point the main point is to let general people know and let them grab their .tels if they grab there they surely will look for other related to services and directories too.
    but if they do not know about .tel they will never know about it :) 

What i suggest is either Telnic can team up with a registrar and do a massive marketing of .tel publicly and sell the domains at a price of US$ 20 and the extra buck can be reused for more marketing, since it's not a one man show and neither can it go far just with one person trying to promote it

so i would be happy if i have good response from your people on what can be done to get .tel out and about

more or less we all fuss about this and that in .tel we need to know when .tel came out we invested in the simplicity of .tel that was seen or can be seen on www.emma.tel there was a video presentation of it as well, now some want pictures others want this and that i think Telnic is already doing enough efforts on that aspect but the promotion and advertisement should be looked upon now, as people are panicking many people who registered .tel at early stages are just giving them away at dirt prices just to get their money back, i hope the panic ends and turns into Enormous sales or decent sales

.tel is a great and cheap tool for SEO i am not sure if anyone has been this lucky with it but if you see stats of MarineParts.tel you will know it really works in the long run.

Keyword : Marine Parts Dealers No.2

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c...=&aqi=g-p1g-m3

Keyword : Marine Parts in China No.3

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c...&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

Keyword : Marine Parts Directory No.1

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c...&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

Any thoughts will be appreciated

Shahid

Gav11-18-2009 02:33 PM

I agree with your comments Shahid.

There are still millions of people who do not know what a .tel is yet.

There needs to be some serious adversiing going on to make sure this extension becomes a success and not a failure like many recent ones have been.

I was telling my brother all about them the other day and showing it to him, he runs his own insurance business. After going away from me he seemed quite keen and liked the idea. I see him the other day and asked if he had purchased his .tel business name, but he said after speaking to a few web developers he knows, they told him they are just a waste of money, and to avoid them.

I find it very concerning not just about the people who do not know about the extension, but about the amount of people who do know but are writing it off.

If you search for .tel in forums ect you will see that there is more bad comments and press about them than good, this need to change and pretty soon.

Lots of peoples .tel domains will expire soon and I cannot see many people that will renew them if there is not something done soon.

As you say Shahid many people are already panicking and selling half decent .tel domains for peanuts just to get there money back.

As you all know I love the .tel extension and still believe in it's potential, however I wold not invest in anymore .tel domains like I had planned to, because I really am unsure what telnic have planned to make these a top domain in the furture.

At the end of the day if telnic decide to do nothing - people will not renew there domains and .tel will be finished within the next year or so.

The only people who can really make this work bigtime are themselves.

Im sure Telnic will come up the goods.

Just my thoughts

Gav

Triton NW11-18-2009 05:03 PM

I went to a business convention with about 1500 consultants in the telecom business over the last 3 days. I brought up my .tels several times and not one person there had ever heard of it. It got to be a broken record so I quit bringing it up.

I still believe that the future is very bright and I will renew most of mine but facts are facts, we have a long road ahead of us at this pace

Gav11-18-2009 05:16 PM

That is really surprising you would think that a odd few made of heard about .tel.

I just don't get it,

Companies spend millions in creating new domains/services ect, sell loads but don't put the money into advertsing them to there full potential.

.tel domains could be the future and telnic could sell millions of them - If only people knew about them.

Cannot work this out

Regards

Gav

maximka11-18-2009 05:39 PM

By my mind, one of the effectives and cheapest ways to promote TEL-zone - is to create working projects on our TEL-domains. When your domain will go to the top positions in search-engines index, then more people will know about TEL. At the same time the value of TEL-domains with good projects will rise up dramatically. 

I personally develop 4 projects now. One of them - iskusstvо.tel was on the 11th place in index of the most popular Russian search-engine “Yandex” - with a word "iskusstvo"*. When it will be among the first 10 positions, then it will be very easy to persuade anybody that TEL is a very good thing.

Do not wait and develop projects – and then we all will win.

-------
    iskusstvo=art in Russian

dottel11-18-2009 06:34 PM

@Shahid,
    Firstly I guess there is not need for an appology
    Yes, Surely there is a requirement of promotion.
    There could be many ways to promote but I Telnic should concentrate on those that will give an immediate effect. Developing, populating promoting and then trying to make difference is a long term plan. 

Hordings, Interactive Media, Busy train stations, Shopping malls & TV are really the mediums that will kick start the actual use of .tels (purcahse & use by end-users, general public, small business & etc).

Shahid11-18-2009 08:20 PM

Thank you @GAV @Triton @Makimka @dottel for your comments.

@Gav if .tel is promoted in general public and promoted well look at countries like China or USA 
    population i think it can exceed over a Billion names but i guess that just seems like a dream right now 

@Triton Exactly your not the only one i share it with everyone in my daily life and trust me no one knows it and they all sometimes laugh on me but i guess once .tel is out and about i will be the one laughing

@Maximka your right its one of the cheapest mode of Seo, i still pay for Seo around 500 an yr but looking at .tels potential maybe by next year i would not be doing that anymore as its the most fastest and accurate way for your clients or targeted visitors to reach you.

@Dottel your right Hordings, Interactive Media, Busy train stations, Shopping malls & TV are really the mediums that will kick start the actual use of .tels (purcahse & use by end-users, general public, small business & etc). if we just wait on populating thats not the key sucess because we should not forget what .tel is 

its a tool for communication for a normal person and i think there are plenty of normal people using .tel both in business and in personal use to name a few

www.Shahid.tel

www.Andy.tel

www.Justin.tel

www.Aquariumfish.tel

www.Bazar4me.tel

www.longdistance.tel

www.myvegas.tel

and many more

maximka11-24-2009 12:22 AM

It should be very effective to promote TEL if it would be possible for Telnic to make agreement with one of mobilphones providers, that that provider will send SMS to every of his network's user with information about TEL. I think for provider this will cost nothing but lot of people will knew about TEL. Of course, I do not know is this legal or no.

P.S.
    Also there exists one way to promote TEL which is, perhaps, on the border on legality, but which should be very effective. It needs only to announce the award for the best graffiti on the subject of TEL, and to promise for a winner of this competition an award, say, of USD 5,000. I am sure, that one or two weeks later citizens of most towns and cities of the world will know about TEL...

teltheworld11-24-2009 01:38 AM

Hi Shahid

Love the sponsored links you have done for Marineparts, very effective indeed and a great way to get the message across about Tel Names.

I would love to do a similar thing to promote my music interests, so if you have time please would you very kindly explain what I should do in simple non technical jargon.

I had a look at the source code and compared it with my own, so I can see that I need to add something to that but obviously reference sponsored links to Music.

Is there a special editor that you have to use for this sort of thing and if so where would I find it.

Love what you are doing to promote .tel

Many Thanks 

For your help

Shahid11-24-2009 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maximka (Post 2737)
    It should be very effective to promote TEL if it would be possible for Telnic to make agreement with one of mobilphones providers, that that provider will send SMS to every of his network's user with information about TEL. I think for provider this will cost nothing but lot of people will knew about TEL. Of course, I do not know is this legal or no.
    P.S.
    Also there exists one way to promote TEL which is, perhaps, on the border on legality, but which should be very effective. It needs only to announce the award for the best graffiti on the subject of TEL, and to promise for a winner of this competition an award, say, of USD 5,000. I am sure, that one or two weeks later citizens of most towns and cities of the world will know about TEL...

[size]
    @Maximka Yes, Sms promotion is one of the way to promote .tel but i would look it as if telnic could partner with telecom companies give them a special bulk rate and let them give their subscriber a free .tel with a monthly plan ( roughly had 1-2 yr contract ) that way it would not effect if the .tel cost them 10 -20 US$ a yr because they are already making over 100-300 US$ an year from the subscriber depending on what kind of plan he has[/size]

Shahid11-24-2009 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teltheworld (Post 2738)
    Hi Shahid
    Love the sponsored links you have done for Marineparts, very effective indeed and a great way to get the message across about Tel Names.
    I would love to do a similar thing to promote my music interests, so if you have time please would you very kindly explain what I should do in simple non technical jargon.
    I had a look at the source code and compared it with my own, so I can see that I need to add something to that but obviously reference sponsored links to Music.
    Is there a special editor that you have to use for this sort of thing and if so where would I find it.Love what you are doing to promote .tel
    Many Thanks 
    For your help

[size]
    @teltheworld Thank you for your comments, MarineParts.tel no doubt has become one of my own favorites too, and i think it really turned out good as well. 

just go to www.inspect.tel you will find all kinds of tools or awareness you need about .tel incase you still have problems pm me i will explain it more[/size]

Bill11-24-2009 12:31 PM

----------------------

mikeseaton11-24-2009 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahid (Post 2739)
    ...telnic could partner with telecom companies give them a special bulk rate and let them give their subscriber a free .tel with a monthly plan ( roughly had 1-2 yr contract ) that way it would not effect if the .tel cost them 10 -20 US$ a yr because they are already making over 100-300 US$ an year from the subscriber depending on what kind of plan he has

[size]
    Shahid,

Excellent idea - and one that would not use up Telnic's promotional budget but actually generate revenue for them through bulk registration of domains.

Mobile companies are always trying to outdo each other - e.g. with exclusive rights to new smartphone models - and a free .tel name (with the mobile company say preloading a skeleton personal or business layout) could work very well - achieving the dual objectives of .tel promotion and revenue generation.

Mike Seaton[/size]

Shahid11-24-2009 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill (Post 2745)
    I am becoming more negative on the outlook for dottel as time passes. When you cannot even sell first name dottels for pennies you can conclude the current level of interest is extremely low and the market for dottels is non-existant. I have some of the best 1 word generics yet I have never been approached by a buyer. If something can not be sold its value is zero. If a directory can make money from listings then it has a value based on cash flow. I am not aware of a money making dottel directory (there may be one). If there is a tidal wave of drops in March, say, 70% then there will be no funds to promote it anyway. I think the best bet for Telnic at this stage and with fuzzy promotional plans is a Trade Sale to a big company with the resources to promote the dottel extension.

In the securities business - my industry - a promoter always makes a market for his/her product after listing. There is no market for dottel; not even for generics and first names at this point. Telnic should broker names; willing seller to willing buyer.Maybe create a .tel brokering site. Perhaps this is against ICAAN regulations - I don't know.

Please, someone out there is there anything positive to report - at all?

[size]
    @Bill I am not sure if they could do something like this but they can always try to convenience a registrar who might be the first one to do such kind of a thing for .tel but we all have to face reality there is no demand for .tel as no1 knows about it and the reason i opened this thread is so that we can come together and think of something beneficial on every aspect.

1) telnic makes sales
    2) we have return on our investments ( selling domains or listings )
    3) a normal user getting to know .tel and using it in his daily life[/size]

mikeseaton11-24-2009 01:53 PM

Quote:

When you cannot even sell first name dottels for pennies you can conclude the current level of interest is extremely low and the market for dottels is non-existant...Please, someone out there is there anything positive to report - at all?

[size]
    Quote:
    [/size]

Originally Posted by telrific (Post 2676)
    DN Sale Price Has Been Doing A Pretty Good Job Of Keeping Up With .tel Sales:

http://www.dnsaleprice.com/SalePrice.aspx

Just "Empty" the field where it says "Domain Names", "TLD" = ".tel" and "Go"

Showing around 45 sales at an average of around $600.00 USD if my math is correct.

[size]
    Bill,

You might be interested in the post above which shows the actual prices currently being achieved (in Sedo auctions) for Dot Tel sales. In my opinion many of these purchases will look like bargains in years to come - telrific has calculated the average sale price of the Dot Tels reported as 600 USD.

Mike Seaton[/size]

Shahid11-24-2009 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeseaton (Post 2747)
    Shahid,

Excellent idea - and one that would not use up Telnic's promotional budget but actually generate revenue for them through bulk registration of domains.

Mobile companies are always trying to outdo each other - e.g. with exclusive rights to new smartphone models - and a free .tel name (with the mobile company say preloading a skeleton personal or business layout) could work very well - achieving the dual objectives of .tel promotion and revenue generation.

Mike Seaton

[size]
    Thank you, well its always good to come up with all the ideas and see which one suits best but i think as Maximka brought up the telecom thing i think this is all i could think of and to be frank it makes sense.

every telecom company around the world is not selling phones too on leases of plans or what ever so if they can do that and if they are made understand what .tel is they will act as a advertiser with their own promotional product and trust me if this goes in stream of Telecom providers one will want the rights of it and they will be fighting against each other to promote it in its best manner, Government organizations will grab their .tel public companies or private firms will grab theirs as they will see the potential of it being advertised by the telecom.

there is no better thing then getting a free .tel with ur phone and the logins sent to your email, the telecom can also have their own site where u can manage your .tel so it will never invole another registerar and no registration fees ur plan dies you can always try to transfer it to another telecom provider who has a better plan :)[/size]

Shahid11-24-2009 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeseaton (Post 2750)
    Bill,

You might be interested in the post above which shows the actual prices currently being achieved (in Sedo auctions) for Dot Tel sales. In my opinion many of these purchases will look like bargains in years to come - telrific has calculated the average sale price of the Dot Tels reported as 600 USD.

Mike Seaton

[size]
    That is true, i have bought ships.tel from sedo for US$ 300 to pair it with my Ship.tel without auction as i don't like to participate it any, but what i have seen on most sedo sales they never matured to compeletion.

Visit.tel
    Les*bian.tel
    Mall.tel
    Fishing.tel

these are just a few to name so i would not go with records from sedo or that site real life approches have been very few like i have been approched on 

AutoParts.tel US$ 2000
    Traveling.tel US$ 1500
    DXB.tel 300
    Ship.tel 500

and a bunch more and i did sell a dottel Privately for US$ 430/- ( Devote.tel ) when the hype was there i paid US$ 9 for it 

Shahid[/size]

spline11-24-2009 02:14 PM

Or instead of partnering with a carrier, how about approaching Nokia or Apple and sell .tels through their phone platform?

maximka11-24-2009 02:16 PM

Quote:

When you cannot even sell first name dottels for pennies...

[size]
    Why not try to sell one or two names here, in the forum? If your selling price is not high, then perhaps there can be interest from buyers.

I personally registered some my TELs just for the purpose to sell them for money and for these money to renew rest of my domains for the next year. Some time later I will try to do these sales.[/size]

maximka11-24-2009 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahid (Post 2751)
    ... and if they are made understand what .tel is they will act as a advertiser with their own promotional product and trust me if this goes in stream of Telecom providers one will want the rights of it and they will be fighting against each other to promote it in its best manner...

[size]
    Yes, indeed!

When shoes-seller sells pair of shoes to the buyer, after the sale is complete, and he had taken money from the buyer and gave him a receipt, then seller usually says: “Here we have a nice gel for the shoes. Would you like to buy it for your new shoes attendance?” And often the buyer takes this gel also. 

So it can be with TEL domains distribution in mobilphone shops – after buying his phone, the buyer is proposed to buy his TEL – which will bring a few more dollars for seller. Of course, to do this the agreement between Telnic and telecom company is necessary. But there is no need for Telnic to invest money – here it is necessary only to speak, to persuade and to complete negotiations.[/size]
    Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

.tel Promotion and Advertisement Empty Re: .tel Promotion and Advertisement

Post by Telnic 2014-12-31, 5:41 pm

Bill11-24-2009 03:44 PM

--------------------------------

Bill11-24-2009 03:46 PM

----------------------

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)11-24-2009 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill (Post 2757)
    I have listed names here in Sales and in other places - not one enquiry - because there is no market. If, as Shahid says, 70% of dottels are owned by speculators, and there is no market, guess what happens in March.

[size]
    If that happens in March, guess what instead? I'll be buying. Not worried. There are lots of personal tels being bought right now and a fair amount of directory activity - takes times to build.
    Check www.mytel.me/devtel.php
    Plus my SEO rankings are going up weekly for the few I have had time to develop.[/size]

Triton NW11-24-2009 05:50 PM

Hello all,
    It seems to me that it is a large waste of time to talk about advertising strategies and go to market plans. It is pretty simple. Telnic either has a plan to do something or they don't. I am pretty sure that they are not sitting at their desks scratching their heads and then they read this forum and start a massive ad campaign. They have been pretty responsive this year and have proven to be very smart folks. I remain cautiously optimistic. Admittedly a little more cautious than earlier this summer

Gav11-24-2009 05:50 PM

I think we all just have to try and stay positive with the .tel situation as it is at the moment, because I cannot see anything changing in the near future.

I think there will be thousands of people who will let there .tel drop come March because there has been no postive marketing done to encourage people to renew them.

Infact one domainer I know through a forum has offered me his .tel for nothing, just the transfer fee, and it's a half decent one.

If .tel does not take off Telnic only have thereselves to blame and no one else.

Be nice if Nadya or Howard could have some input to this thread as they must have some knowledge of Telnic future plans to share with us.

Regards

Gav

Howard11-24-2009 06:38 PM

All of your comments are interesting and valid and Justin confirms that we’re not sitting on our laurels – in fact, that’s probably why you’re not hearing too much from him at the moment. We are actively working on a number of marketing strands that are due to hit from December onwards, in both online and offline environments. We’re making sure that the activity we do supports our channel and the awareness of .tel. Additionally, we are working on business development behind the scenes to engage with a number of organizations that will help drive forward recognition, adoption and usage of .tel domains in a meaningful way. As .tel is so new, it’s taking time for them to work things through with the organization, but we’re getting closer to being able to announce some good things. And there are also some technical developments that we’re working on in the pipeline that we anticipate will again help in the adoption.

The best thing the community can do to support these efforts, Justin says, like a broken record, is to add value to your domains by creating useful and compelling content and using them with people. You can only say you’ve never heard of a .tel once after all! The value of a .tel domain is in its usage and given the ease of which it can be used, there really shouldn’t be any reason why there isn’t information within them. As Mark points out, using his domains is increasing his SEO – and we’re seeing this across the board. Given SEO/SEM and real-time information is the critical piece of marketing in 2009, doing this can only help the value of a .tel domain that you own.

At the same time, we’re still listening and like hearing new ideas. So keep talking. But we’re not going to talk too much about our activity until it’s ready as a) we know your high expectations and want to respond in proportion and b) we tend to find some other Registry Operators and Registrars end up copying them not long after we’ve done them! So we’ll try to let you know when we can as soon as we can.

Shahid11-24-2009 08:32 PM

Hello Howard, 

Thank you for your comments and informing us about what is going on and not, please do not have any harsh feelings i personally did not open this thread to revolt again telnic but we all need to do something in our own ways to promote .tel i have / am doing my part but wanted to even know how its going there and i also know that i am no 1 to guide telnic on basis of marketing but sharing idea or giving ideas is something we all have to take part in as i say now and i said before telnic's success is our success.

.tel is no doubt the best tool for seo i don't want to boost about it but i can even share my rankings in person and the results are not out of 50000 or 1m but even on some keywords 6m on other even 51m and still on top 

i thank you again for replying and atleast giving us hope i never planned neither will drop my domains infact i bought 2 yesterday

Thank you

Shahid

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)11-24-2009 08:39 PM

Keep developing quality domains is all I can say. Use my free tools - they are there to help the community.
    Mark

Gav11-24-2009 09:17 PM

Thank Howard for sharing that info with us.

It's nice to know that you guys have lots going on behind the scenes.

As mentioned before I will be renewing all my .tel domains except a couple that I now realise were bad buys.

Thumbs up from me

Regards

Gav

dottel11-27-2009 09:30 AM

Thanks Howard for the update on the progress, although it does not cover anything about the actual activity but it is better than knowing nothing

I hope telnic comes out with TV adverts, recently I have presented the .tel youtube advert to someone and they like the concept right away. So I guess that's should be a good start (as it explains the concept and use).

Also I guess Telnic should hire people who should then be trained to explain the .tel stuff on forums and participate in other forum areas. Cause I have seen many questions in different forums but with less responses. I know some telnic staff from top management do reply here and there but I guess it would be even better if telnic hire/recruit full time or part time employees just for this purpose that should create more positive info all around the web..

nadya11-27-2009 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dottel (Post 2835)
    Also I guess Telnic should hire people who should then be trained to explain the .tel stuff on forums and participate in other forum areas. Cause I have seen many questions in different forums but with less responses. I know some telnic staff from top management do reply here and there but I guess it would be even better if telnic hire/recruit full time or part time employees just for this purpose that should create more positive info all around the web..

[size]
    Hi dottel,

Could you please provide links to forums where .tel is discussed, but where no decent responses are given? This will be very helpful.[/size]

dottel11-27-2009 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nadya (Post 2836)
    Hi dottel,

Could you please provide links to forums where .tel is discussed, but where no decent responses are given? This will be very helpful.

[size]
    PM sent

thanks[/size]

Shahid11-27-2009 07:58 PM

would like to know about the forum too dottel

Current date/time is 2024-05-19, 12:51 am