The .TEL Community on the .TEL Domain Forum!

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

Dial by name

Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

Dial by name Empty Dial by name

Post by Telnic 2015-01-02, 5:08 am

Blunderer05-22-2012 10:43 PM

Dial by name

Going back to the dial by name (dbn) aspiration, do you think that there would be any merit in having one record officially designated as being the current phone contact point - with provision for the users name as the label (not the .tel domain name) in each .tel - including Telname versions?

I know that we can use the "Main Contact" label but, labels are not (currently) searchable, and few owners use that one.

The owner could change the number as required. It would just bring consistency to the process.

mikeseaton05-22-2012 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blunderer (Post 23946)
    Going back to the dial by name (dbn) aspiration, do you think that there would be any merit in having one record officially designated as being the current phone contact point...

[size]
    YES !

Mike Seaton[/size]

Blunderer05-22-2012 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeseaton (Post 23948)
    YES !

Mike Seaton

[size]
    OK. Telnic/Telnames, please make it so.[/size]

Simon G05-23-2012 01:06 PM

Would the current contact point not change on a regular basis? ie when at work (work), when in car or out and about (mobile) and at home (home)
    Just thinking as I dont see value in having to update the current contact everytime I go out, go home or get in my car. Because I am sure at somestage I'll forget and that will be the time someone would need to get hold of me urgently.
    If we are labeling something "current" we want to make sure it is always correct. I appreciate untill there is an app which will update my .tel when I get out of proximity of a set location this may be problematic. Perhaps of more value would be updating a initial contact and secondary contact?

Blunderer05-23-2012 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon G (Post 23966)
    Would the current contact point not change on a regular basis? ie when at work (work), when in car or out and about (mobile) and at home (home)
    Just thinking as I dont see value in having to update the current contact everytime I go out, go home or get in my car. Because I am sure at somestage I'll forget and that will be the time someone would need to get hold of me urgently.
    If we are labeling something "current" we want to make sure it is always correct. I appreciate untill there is an app which will update my .tel when I get out of proximity of a set location this may be problematic. Perhaps of more value would be updating a initial contact and secondary contact?

[size]
    If people don't change their number then dial by name will not work but, working on the premise that it is a desirable facility (for some, at least), any system would have to know which number to dial - there is currently no apparent consistency in the way people list numbers. Have a look at this:

http://henrikbocarlsen.tel (random selection)

Which of Henrik's numbers is the current one? He has not used the "Main Number" label, and even if he did - it's not indexed by anything.

If it was always the case that any future dial by name facility found the first number listed, then that would be OK - users could simply drag their numbers up and down the listing to suit. However, what would happen if Henrik had been using chemicalsales.tel as his personal site?

With a designated point in each folder for Dial by name records he could enter Henrik Bo Carlsen as the label name, followed by his current number, and it would not matter which domain name he was using. The name and current number would be available for search in (on?) the DNS - via a .tel domain - the object of the exercise.

Of course, Dial by Name may never happen but it doesn't hurt to be prepared.[/size]

mikeseaton05-23-2012 06:56 PM

Dial-By-Name from the Address Bar

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blunderer (Post 23975)
    Of course, Dial by Name may never happen but it doesn't hurt to be prepared.

[size]
    I just don't think Telnic/Telnames (please prove me wrong !) will ever get to "critical mass" (that Telcos need to be prepared to modify their systems) from everything we have seen over the last 3 years and the current complete lack of worldwide marketing of .tel to "Joe Public".

A question for forum members

If there was Dial-By-Name from the address bar (on mobile phones and other internet devices with a browser) would you use it ?

For example, to dial me you would simply enter http://telxxxx.com/mikeseaton and the first phone number listed onhttp://mikeseaton.tel would be dialled (the number would display on your phone / device before you pressed to make the call).

If this is a service that would be used, I could have it up and running by the end of June at the latest.

Let me know if this is of value please !

Mike Seaton[/size]

dialaroom05-23-2012 07:16 PM

@mike - don't think I'd ever use it. If I knew mike seaton had mikeseaton.tel, I'd just type that in, choose your phone number and click call. Would probably take fewer keystrokes and I could choose my contact method from the ones listed. 

On voice enabled search, it might be useful to have a url that calls instead of displays the .tel domain owner.

dottel.net05-23-2012 08:08 PM

on voice enabled search - you would hope the voice app you were using was smart enough to actual query the dns and then dial the number vs requiring accessing a third party subdomain based url...

Alex05-23-2012 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeseaton (Post 23983)
    If there was Dial-By-Name from the address bar (on mobile phones and other internet devices with a browser) would you use it ?

[size]
    Nobody can tell you about the future acceptance of a product which is in early stage.
    If .tel will become successful, you could have invented the killer app!
    Don't expect to have a run in the beginning; success comes by patience!
    But you will know only if you try![/size]

boracay.tel02-09-2013 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blunderer (Post 23949)
    OK. Telnic/Telnames, please make it so.

[size]
    Any news to add in this dial-by-name discussion?
    Are we deciding that the first telephone number in the listed contact data is by default the number to dial?

How is Siri coming along? Does she know when we have left the office? (Yep) does she know when we arrive home? (Yep) Does she know when we are driving down the freeway? (Yep)

Ok, so I want to make free calls too. Can the Skype number be called if that is listed in the contact data? And what about if somebody wants a vanity .tel telephone number such as 1234.5678.tel? Should the first real telephone number listed in the contact data then be the actual thru -connected call?

Any news?[/size]

tindaya02-09-2013 07:48 PM

The Telcos will use Webrtc in firefox os????

Current date/time is 2024-05-17, 2:56 am