The .TEL Community on the .TEL Domain Forum!

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

Who offers the best name dial solution?

Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

Who offers the best name dial solution? Empty Who offers the best name dial solution?

Post by Telnic 2015-01-02, 8:50 am

Jens09-23-2011 05:48 PM

Who offers the best name dial solution?

Obsolescent

mikeseaton09-23-2011 06:26 PM

Dial-By-Name - 2 Types

Hi Jens,

Useful info - but I think you need to split Dial-By-Name into 2 lists.

1. Dial By Internet Browser - URL entered in Address Bar, which both Telnic (eg. http://henri.tel) and TelDial offer (eg.http://henri.teldial.com).

2. Dial By Keypad - This is where the name is dialled directly into the keypad, not going anywhere near the address bar, and is of course the ultimate solution - see Henri's post about about Phase 2.

Mike Seaton

dialaroom09-23-2011 08:28 PM

Forgive me. I really want to understand. 
    So, simply; 

The ultimate dial by name from a .tel point of view is that assuming everyone you want to call has a .tel.

You simply dial their .tel address into your phone as you would do their phone number and this is better because people can remember your .tel easier than your phone number. 

If you don't know their .tel address, do you look it up and if they have one dial it? Or is it only for people you know, i.e. people in your address book, in which case you just ask the phone to call them (voice dial)

So your .tel would have a number designated within it, to be called using dial by name, if you have more than 1 number, you can change or specify which number is called, or have a series of numbers to call in order of priority. 

Obviously there are only a limited number of .tel domains with easily memorable names, before you have to qualify them by adding numbers i.e. johnsmith123.tel, johnsmith124.tel, in which case how do you know you have the right one.

And there must be a maximum length of name you're prepared to type before it defeats the object.

Just trying to look at it from a simple .tel owners point of view, sorry if my post appears fatuous, or in any way disdainful, it is not meant in that way. It is purely me trying to get a grasp of what the benefits of this much proclaimed panacea for .tel will offer.

dialaroom09-23-2011 09:16 PM

Thanks Jens, I'm nearly there.

It's just the bit about, if I don't know someones .tel I have to look it up, in say, telpages, pick the right search result and then type what is hopefully the correct result in my phone to call it

If I do know the .tel couldn't I just voice dial it, as I do with my address book?

Aren't you suggesting that people will eventually need to register their full name and address.tel to be guaranteed a uniquely identifiable .tel. 

Not wishing to split hairs, but if we are all going to get behind this and help push it forward, we need to be sure there are no weaknesses in the logic behind it and that it is just a simply brilliant way forward.

Cees09-23-2011 09:17 PM

From where I stand my favourite feature, a feature Jens alluded to, a long .tel can be almost any length and will be memorable where a numerically long contact will not be, and because you can use a longer sequence a lot more contacts will be available, not infinite but close. 

Which contact would you remember this one,…. carlos santana in brasil.tel
    Or this one, 234763 8947382 98 123498 498, same amount of characters.

My post almost went out reading "carlos suntan", spell checker going ape.

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)09-23-2011 09:24 PM

This is where Telpages could excel, if it indexed NAPTR records such that dial by name basically queries telpages. You can't query the DNS in this manner I assume. But with a smart TP search, as you type a name, the provider would do a lookup, even smart like Google ajax look ahead. So you may not need to type the whole string (name and location), your smart phone display would show possibilities.
    Mark

dialaroom09-24-2011 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jens (Post 17672)
    From these 2 possibilities I prefer to remember 234763 8947382 98 123498 498, because it is good for my brain training!

[size]
    I, like Jens, do have a better memory for numbers rather than names, but I do completely see Cees's point. However, if I met his KillerFromManhatten.tel I certainly would know what number to call without the aid of dial a name.[/size]

tindaya09-24-2011 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jens (Post 17658)
    Yes, in 20, 30 or 50 years from now everybody will have a domain name anyway. Why not a .tel?

Exactly!

But there is another advantage:
    Everybody has many phone numbers like home, work and cell phone. The .tel domain owner can always switch the number where he is available at the moment!

Exactly!

So instead of dialing John.tel, you type John into your cell phone (just like any phone number today).

This topic we are talking about here is the one and only reason why I own a .tel domain!

[size]
    How to key the name:
    1º----> by web
    2º----->by keypad
    3º----->voice recognition

So, at long term, everyone will use, call by name with voice recognition.
    Of course the only switching ca be done in the DNS, and the only tecnology can be IPv6.[/size]

tindaya09-24-2011 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jens (Post 17675)
    @tindaya

"Dial By Keypad" would be a revolution already.

Voice recognition could be difficult if you want to separate between Matthew.tel and Mathew.tel.
    For that we need another invention.

[size]
    Now, when the machine doesn´t know exactly, say: "perhaps you wanted to say...?", you say yes o not, and when is the correct, store you IP, and know in the future that this answer will be the more probability...

I don´t know, but when I phone to my bank, and use the voice recognition, in Spanish, work very good (I don´t know in english)[/size]

mikeseaton09-24-2011 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jens (Post 17677)
    What I am wondering is why it is so difficult to convince Telcos about this concept?

[size]
    Jens, nothing more than a guess, but could it be that the Telcos are saying to themselves are saying "What's in it for me? Why should I do this unless it gets me more customers, or stops my existing ones leaving?"

If this is the reason Telcos are not rushing to adopt Dial-By-Name, it would need one major Telco to start taking customers away in quantity for the
    non-adopters to become very interested all of a sudden !

Or it could be that the Telcos are just biding their time, letting others create interest in Dial-By-Name, whilst working on their own offerings.

It is puzzling though, when a technology offers such a significant user benefit (in our view), that main players in the industry are not beating a path to Dot Tel's door !

Or maybe we're all just too close to it, and would benefit from stepping back and looking at the situation from the viewpoint of the mass of the public - what does it offer them (in their view) that would make their lives more convenient but without any significant learning curve or cost ?

Too many unanswered questions for a Saturday night - time to crack open the wine and have a Dot Tel free evening !

Mike Seaton[/size]

tindaya09-24-2011 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeseaton (Post 17678)
    Jens, nothing more than a guess, but could it be that the Telcos are saying to themselves are saying "What's in it for me? Why should I do this unless it gets me more customers, or stops my existing ones leaving?"

If this is the reason Telcos are not rushing to adopt Dial-By-Name, it would need one major Telco to start taking customers away in quantity for the
    non-adopters to become very interested all of a sudden !

Or it could be that the Telcos are just biding their time, letting others create interest in Dial-By-Name, whilst working on their own offerings.

It is puzzling though, when a technology offers such a significant user benefit (in our view), that main players in the industry are not beating a path to Dot Tel's door !

Or maybe we're all just too close to it, and would benefit from stepping back and looking at the situation from the viewpoint of the mass of the public - what does it offer them (in their view) that would make their lives more convenient but without any significant learning curve or cost ?

Too many unanswered questions for a Saturday night - time to crack open the wine and have a Dot Tel free evening !

Mike Seaton

[size]

The Telcos Know perfectly how work this, and know how is the evolution, and they know that is to long term. In Spain, the NGN (IP switching) is working from 10 years ago, now the IMS (multimedia switching) and the INGN, is working from 2 years ago. From two months are working the 4G, LTE...(but no one use the LTE). The problem is the services, and that is a slow, very slow evolution... The NGN that I see working 10 years ago, is now when have the 2% of voice traffic...Normally the things work like this,... 10 years ago, and only 2% of traffic, but everyone know that one day will have 100%.

THE FUTURE IS WRITTEN, BUT WE MUST WAIT.[/size]

tindaya09-24-2011 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jens (Post 17683)
    You aren't completely wrong, but not completely right either!

I'm rather like to be proactive!

[size]
    I´m with youI learn with you, and Í´m like you, for that I bought domains .tel, and I´m trying to create it, and the first was ugly (http://www.caminodelcid.tel ), the second ( http://www.tdah.tel ) was better, and the third ( http://www.balnearios.tel ) is much better... But when I´m working with the Telcos, only speak about percentage, and Statistics, and when something is 5%, that is very dangerous and must do quickly something, and the money is not important.... But must be in the 5 %, for that I understand the magic word of Henri "critical mass" . The Telcos are not tecnological, are only a supermarket, and sell the things that other made, and sell the things that the people want to buy... In the Telco only want to have customers, and manage customers, and to know how to manage the customers only study to the other Telcos, and if one Telco have an offer, you must have the same offer the next day... Telnic is a Start-up, and if they get the "critical mass" will worth a lot of money, but need to get that 5%, and we must support to Telnic, because we are like shareholders of Telnic, so if they earn money, probably we will earn money[/size]

Cees09-24-2011 10:53 PM

Apparently the tipping point is about 10% to start any sort of revolution, (that is to say for a minority to effect real change) I guess the question is 10% of what?

tindaya09-24-2011 11:55 PM

10% of business, or 10% of customers, or 10% of clients are too much... The big companys only understand this message. The ideas are for the Start-up and the business fot the big companys.So if one start-up get the 5% (business or customers) will be buy for a big company.

boracay.tel09-25-2011 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jens (Post 17692)
    Does this explain what I want to express?

TEL+

[size]
    Jens, seeing nothing but a blank black screen on iPad. 
    (next year to those caring still here that saw the world going by us 
    i.e. thats another 250 million (qtr billion MORE than today) of us idevice users :read: webkit, no flash)
    oops off topic. does it matter. where's the templates, the news
    :eek:[/size]

spline09-25-2011 10:45 AM

The day you dial a facebookpage and a google+ contact is soon here.
    Those will be free for everyone and everyone will start using them.

Why should avarege joe and even small companies pay for a .tel when everyone will instead dial a google+ and facebook contact?

What telnic needs to do, is to lower the price of .tel. Perhaps give a lot of them away for free.
    First year free or something.

Just to get people starting using them.

The window of oportunity is probably closing.

boracay.tel09-25-2011 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spline (Post 17702)
    Why should avarege joe and even small companies pay for a .tel when everyone will instead dial a google+ and facebook contact?

[size]
    and worse, I've got a few newbies (friends who's first time to need a domain with accompanying website) who I've tried to sell the idea of a single point of contact. they say why? people can already find me in so many places on Facebook and twitter and my blog and my flickr gallery.

ummm, well you need it... ummm... more simple to find you (oh they say like KISS)
    hmm.[/size]

mikeseaton09-25-2011 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spline (Post 17702)
    The day you dial a facebookpage and a google+ contact is soon here.
    Those will be free for everyone and everyone will start using them.

What telnic needs to do, is to lower the price of .tel. Perhaps give a lot of them away for free.
    First year free or something.

Just to get people starting using them.

The window of oportunity is probably closing.

[size]
    Spline, many forum members have expressed the same concerns in many threads over many months - see recently The Reality of .Tel

But there really is not much more forum members can do to create mass .tel awareness and desire before .tel risks being overtaken by events.

The Ball (and the Development & Marketing Budget) is firmly in Telnic's court - I hope we are not very far away from Telnic announcing the first Dial-By-Name signup by a Telco and/or that they have partnered with a major company such as Apple, Facebook, Google, Microsoft, Skype, Yahoo etc.

Mike Seaton[/size]

boracay.tel09-26-2011 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jens (Post 17707)
    this Single Point of Contact exists already; it is called Facebook - and it is for free!

Therefore nobody needs a .tel domain for this purpose!

That is why I always say dottel needs a change in strategy!

[size]
    I've always had .tel pegged as a telephone directory from day one. seems an eternity since i started pushing for more flexibility toward that usage

when .tel technology is used as the back-end database, and with an accompanying app (or more flexible optioned front-end html template) for interacting with users, this product is very very impressive. 

the desktop search is the single best feature for directories built on .tel 
    (giving up on waiting for the mobile fix)
    ---------
    i have no hair left, so i thought what the heck, i'll try this "single point of contact" idea on a few friends. well, you read the answers i'm getting. I will hold off on telling any others at least until the templates that were presented in march show up. those templates did make .tel at least look like a great place to put a personal profile webpage up (and small business too).
    for now, the current templates spell "d-i-r-e-c-t-o-r-y"[/size]

tindaya09-26-2011 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jens (Post 17723)
    When the topic of name dialing has been discussed on this forum in the past, we have always presumed the Telcos have to implement the DNS-Look-up.

But that is not true!

Instead the phone manufactures can do the same, too!
    If a caller dials a name with its keypad, this routine can be done already by the smartphone without an app! Cell phone manufactures just have to implement the technical routine for that into the operation system of their smartphones!

Wherefore they call it smartphone?

So Telnic just has to arrange a partnership with Apple or Samsung and the breakthrough of .tel would finally start!

I know it is a hard job to be on the knocker - but that is the purpose of sales managers and marketing people, right?

[size]
    If you create a good OTT, Over the Top, you will earn a lot of money, you don´t need anyone.

I think we must forget the Telcos, they have their very big problem, and the problem is the Over the Top.

Whatsapp, is the tipic example how work the new SMS, and the Telcos don´t earn money. So the voice call by name, must be the same, one Start-up must create a Over the Top.[/size]

Current date/time is 2024-05-17, 5:17 am