The .TEL Community on the .TEL Domain Forum!

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

+5
TELcp
Boracay
mikeseaton
Toptel
supercyberheroes
9 posters

click to call

supercyberheroes
    supercyberheroes

Warning level : 100 %

click to call Empty click to call

Post by supercyberheroes 2014-02-27, 6:59 am

I am a person that still believe so much in .tel, I know in this forum many don't, for those people I tell you that have been good discussion for the past days at telnic forum, Justin wrote today some thing, that I hope this comment will rise some optimist to you all.

Originally Posted by Justin Hayward click to call Viewpost
    Aled is on leave this week. However, the standards work by the IETF prevent a direct domain name/IP to phone call action, hence why, when you click on a NAPTR record with a callto: or tel: label, the associated app will pop up to confirm that you actually want to conduct this operation. This was, I belive, to prevent customers from unwittingly clicking on very expensive premium rate numbers, etc (hence why in the contact options there is a record for premium rate).

The closest we could get to was that shown by apps like voipGATE where, if there was one telephone number listed it would automatically look it up as the option to connect to, display it, at which time the caller could choose to call the number.

We have been tracking WebRTC for a while now. It's still not entirely stable, but we are looking at things like OpenRTC, rawr.com, etc with a view to seeing how it might - please note MIGHT - integrate with .tel.

Regards,
    Justin
    Toptel
    Toptel

click to call Empty Re: click to call

Post by Toptel 2014-02-27, 4:33 pm

supercyberheroes wrote:Originally Posted by Justin Hayward click to call Viewpost
    ... the standards work by the IETF prevent a direct domain name/IP to phone call action ...

Oops! I didn't know that name dialing was never a possibility for .tel.
    I knew about the restrictions of .tel, but I had the hope name dialing could rescue .tel.
    With this information I no longer believe in .tel.
    Thanks for the info!
    mikeseaton
    mikeseaton
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

.tel domain : MIkeSeaton.tel

Post by mikeseaton 2014-02-27, 5:02 pm

Toptel wrote:Oops! I didn't know that name dialing was never a possibility for .tel.
    I knew about the restrictions of .tel, but I had the hope name dialing could rescue .tel.
    Thanks for the info!

@Toptel - I doubt very much that Justin expected that (entirely reasonable) reaction when he made his post on Telnic's (still "locked-down") Forum !

It does take the damper off the much-touted, but never delivered so far, Phase 2 of the .Tel Project - i.e. Dial/Email/Skype etc by Name using the DNS data.

So NO FULLY FUNCTIONAL PHASE 2 (which needs "critical mass" to stand a chance of working anyway) !

It does beg the question - WHAT EXACTLY IS NOW THE POINT OF .TEL ?

Please post your answers below !

http://MikeSeaton.tel
    Toptel
    Toptel

Post by Toptel 2014-02-27, 5:50 pm

mikeseaton wrote:WHAT EXACTLY IS NOW THE POINT OF .TEL ?

After Justin Hayward has admitted by mistake that no possibility exists for name dialing, there is only one thing left for .tel:
    A website that is more expensive than the competition, but has only a very limited usage and many limitations.

Or am I wrong?
    Boracay
    Boracay

Post by Boracay 2014-02-27, 7:39 pm

Toptel wrote:
    supercyberheroes wrote:Originally Posted by Justin Hayward click to call Viewpost
    ... the standards work by the IETF prevent a direct domain name/IP to phone call action ...

Oops! I didn't know that name dialing was never a possibility for .tel.
    Thanks for the info!

the phone operating system ASKS before connecting the call.
    you not happy with that?
    TELcp
    TELcp
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

Post by TELcp 2014-02-28, 12:43 am

With almost 30yrs of experience (up to year 2006) in communication, before satellites and after satellites, involving analogue switching, digital switching, radio & satellite comm  and further 2-4 yrs of .tel development, I know dialing from .tel without numbers can be achieved. Had discussions with Telnic about 2 yrs ago regarding this and Private profiles. The answer was that we host the .tels ourselves if we want to do such things. However, .tel technology has its own restrictions. But using voice communication without dialing numbers is possible from .tel pages. Unfortunately, right now we have suspended our tel projects temporarily. We will reconsider developing (or rather re-developing) the .tel if we see a sizable market and reasonable return for investments.

If the .tels are hosted somewhere else, so many things can be done. Need a lot of capital investment for that. And MOST IMPORTANT THING IS MARKETING!!! YES MARKETING!!!.

Right now busy with new gTLDs to make a living.
    They move much faster than the .tel.
    That is for two reasons:
    1) No restrictions on most of the newgTLDS, technically speaking
    2) Lot of exposure by major registrars and the sponsors themselves (.tel lacks this kind of activity and jumping from .tel to telnames destroyed what .tel had already bulit up).

Rgds
    Toptel
    Toptel

Post by Toptel 2014-02-28, 3:02 am

Boracay wrote:the phone operating system ASKS before connecting the call.
    you not happy with that?

Does dialing with the phone operating system work?
    Today I have to take the loop way via the browser.
    I can do this with every other TLD, too.
    I don't need a .tel for that.
    mikeseaton
    mikeseaton
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Post by mikeseaton 2014-02-28, 7:08 am

Toptel wrote:
    Boracay wrote:the phone operating system ASKS before connecting the call.
    you not happy with that?

Does dialing with the phone operating system work?

Technically it's no big deal, the Telco simply has to do a lookup from the DNS data.

BUT so far no Telco has been prepared to make this necessary system mod !

If you look at Telnic's forum (can't give link as I was banned after speaking the truth) there was a post a couple of years ago or so ago by Justin Hayward (Telnic's "Business Development and Communications Director") saying they had got nowhere with actually getting Telcos to make the mod required.

The reason why Telcos appear to be uninterested is pretty obvious . there needs to be MILLIONS OF ACTIVE .TELS to make it worthwhile altering their systems - yet today .tels are well below their peak of 333,891 at just 147,130 !

NO TELCO IS LIKELY TO INVEST IN A SMALL MARKETPLACE THAT MOST DAYS FALLS FURTHER - THERE NEEDS TO BE "CRITICAL MASS" FIRST - BUT IT LOOKS LIKE THIS IS SIMPLY NOT GOING TO HAPPEN AS THINGS STAND !

PS. The lack of "critical mass" also helps to explain why software developers have lost interest in .tel, with the exception of Mark Kolb of course.

PPS. Please read this post !
    TelBlogger
    TelBlogger
    Insider
    Insider

Post by TelBlogger 2014-02-28, 8:11 am

I can't give the link either because I too was banned for being critical of their approach. Their political officer did not like this. 

It's like banning your restaurant customers when they complain there is no HP sauce for the steaks rather than supplying the requested sauce! And they are customers who regularly brought lots of friends to eat there.

Many large investors with hundreds of domains met the same fate. 

They are the first company in history to ban some of their largest customers. Do you think this is a recipe for success? Well I would bet not one successful business person in the world would think so.

Result: Now have 29 domains (shortly to be 18 domains) from original 280.
    supercyberheroes
    supercyberheroes

Post by supercyberheroes 2014-03-01, 1:59 pm

TELcp wrote:I know dialing from .tel without numbers can be achieved. Had discussions with Telnic about 2 yrs ago regarding this and Private profiles. The answer was that we host the .tels ourselves if we want to do such things. However, .tel technology has its own restrictions. But using voice communication without dialing numbers is possible from .tel pages. 
    Rgds
    Hi TELCP nice to hear from you again, you wrote .tel technology has it own restrictions, could you please name those restrictions?

Regards
    TELcp
    TELcp
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

Post by TELcp 2014-03-02, 11:52 am

@supercyberheroes

Many restrictions as it is available today.
    Not going to discuss the here. In fact, no point in discussing. Just a waste of time.

BTW, no point in discussing the topic of this thread either.
    FB is going to take care of it. They will provide VOIP FOC.

Good luck!
    mikeseaton
    mikeseaton
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Post by mikeseaton 2014-03-02, 1:36 pm

TELcp wrote:BTW, no point in discussing the topic of this thread either.
    FB is going to take care of it. They will provide VOIP FOC.

@TELcp - Yes I read about this forthcoming development from Facebook - with well over a billion users they have the essential "critical mass" that Telnic will never generate for .tel !

What gets me is how long it takes for Telnic to actually get things done - they were warned back in 2008 that TIME WAS OF THE ESSENCE - but as usual such sensible advice was ignored !

This is the article I'm talking about - http://domainnamewire.com/2008/11/10/telnic-a-35-million-investment-gone-awry/ - here's a quote from it:

There is a chance — however slight — that .tel will succeed. Telnic will have to do a few things perfectly to get this to work. First, make .tel integrate into third party applications better than Plaxo, LinkedIn, Facebook, and MySpace currently do. Second, it should give away .tel domains to individuals and hope to make money on businesses instead. It must get to critical mass quickly, so that I have a reasonable belief that typing in myfriend.tel will get me what I want. Third, it needs to pray that Facebook doesn’t kill it overnight by creating some sort of online vcard.

Looks like the 3rd point made will come true, though note with an online vcard but with FREE VOIP offered to its 1 billion plus users.

Not much more can be said - TELNIC HAD THEIR CHANCE AND BLEW IT !

Such a shame for both Telnic's shareholders and also TelTalk forum members who have committed so much time and money to the .tel project over the years !

TelBlogger
    TelBlogger
    Insider
    Insider

Post by TelBlogger 2014-03-02, 2:16 pm

Not sure of limitations on content with ICAAN for dns but Telnic have to realize their concept has completely failed. Domains need content. 

If they do this (and are allowed to) through the CTH .tel still has a chance. Ideally the CTH would enable both mobile and other internet devices' page-sizing differences. That would probably work imo. Drag video, text, etc to different parts of a CTH page.

Post by 4444 2014-03-02, 2:47 pm

mikeseaton wrote:TELNIC HAD THEIR CHANCE AND BLEW IT !

Telnic have never been interested in customers' opinions. They thought they could be smarter than the rest of the world.

And Telnic wanted to change the world, but the world had to follow the Telnic rules, because Telnic didn’t want to adjust to the world.
    TELcp
    TELcp
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

Post by TELcp 2014-03-02, 3:09 pm

As of today, ONLY one chance left to reach the "critical masses".
    That is to negotiate, if possible, with ICANN to make the .tel an ordinary TLD.
    maxi
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Post by maxi 2014-03-02, 3:30 pm

I think there is any need for us to worry how to rescue TEL.

The only thing we need to do now - is to optimize our portfolios and in this way to optimize our expenses on this TEL-gambling.

And after that we need to relax and simply wait till the people who want to complete that take-over, will make it. After this event will happen, then it will come a new situation and only then it will be possible to think about further strategy.
    let
    let

Post by let 2014-03-02, 3:41 pm

TELcp wrote:As of today, ONLY one chance left to reach the "critical masses".

That isn't in Telnic's interest - and will destroy the unique idea of this TLD!

What about building a service better than other TLDs based on the DNS?
    Telnic hasn't even started with it until today!

I doubt Telnic employs the right people for such a big task!

Post by 4444 2014-03-02, 3:50 pm

TELcp wrote:As of today, ONLY one chance left to reach the "critical masses".

I guess this will happen in a few years after everyone has realized the concept has failed.
    This will be the final step and registrations will collapse close to zero, because nobody needs a TLD with the name "tel" which offers nothing special.

Post by 4444 2014-03-02, 3:53 pm

maxi wrote:And after that we need to relax and simply wait till the people who want to complete that take-over, will make it. After this event will happen, then it will come a new situation and only then it will be possible to think about further strategy.

It's the ONLY option, because currently the outlook for .tel is dark as the night!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 2024-04-26, 7:53 pm