The .TEL Community on the .TEL Domain Forum!

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

+34
Malaga
tel.community
Duker
hulltv
Moonlight
Boracay
Ann Mike Matthews
Tel
di7
maxi
mic
bolton
Hotty
TelGirl
Telnot
Expert
Poseidon
ProTel
mikeseaton
silvano
Tely
DirectoryDan
Tim Spears
ixida
whatthetel
Telnamer
let
MWX
Sunrise
x1y2
Sebastian256
FrankW.
Toptel
38 posters

IMPORTANT NEWS FOR ALL .TEL OWNERS AND COMMUNITY MEMBERS

silvano
    silvano

.tel domain : albenga.tel
    Number of .tel domains : 3
    Warning level : 100 %

IMPORTANT NEWS FOR ALL .TEL OWNERS AND COMMUNITY MEMBERS - Page 3 Empty Re: IMPORTANT NEWS FOR ALL .TEL OWNERS AND COMMUNITY MEMBERS

Post by silvano 2016-12-13, 8:17 am

Telnic, as registrar, can do whatever wants, but must lower prices.

10-25 € for a domain with hosting was a fair price.

10-25 € for only a generic domain (and a poor landing page like Telnames template) is expensive.

A generic domain can be registered at a cost of 0.50-5.00 €.
    Sunrise
    Sunrise
    Insider
    Insider

IMPORTANT NEWS FOR ALL .TEL OWNERS AND COMMUNITY MEMBERS - Page 3 Empty Re: IMPORTANT NEWS FOR ALL .TEL OWNERS AND COMMUNITY MEMBERS

Post by Sunrise 2016-12-13, 8:37 am

silvano wrote:A generic domain can be registered at a cost of 0.50-5.00 €.

Right, .tel is becoming a completely normal TLD now and will have to compete with those cheap nTLDs.
    The Telhosting platform is useless, because of missing sub domains in the future.
    Hence, we can expect a future collapse in .tel registrations.
    maxi
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Post by maxi 2016-12-13, 8:53 am

let wrote:The new development has many disadvantages:

1. Viruses and malware will appear on .tel domains as on all other websites
    2. Building directories won't be able anymore
    3. All the past work for directories will be lost
    4. Disabling of data privacy for contact data
    5. No developer support due to cancellation of the API
    6. No monetization due to cancellation of Google AdSense
    7. Limitation in content by using the new Telhosting template
    8. Loss of search rankings for directories
    9. Loss of profit for established .tel domains
    10. Loss of existing .tel customers that are used to the old Telhosting platform

Perhaps:
    11. Google Analytics also will be unavailable.
    maxi
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Post by maxi 2016-12-13, 12:36 pm

DirectoryDan wrote:I spent lots of time and money on your brain child and it turned out to be a worthless pile of "horse droppings".  ... And now you say "Good News, .TEL is going to a regular hosting format and your current sites will stop working unless you reconstruct them." 
    May be it would be worth for forum members from USA or GB to consider a possibility to cooperate and to expose a legal claim to Telnic about losses and lost future profits due to cancelling service? Perhaps it is possible to win this case and then to ruin Telnic with its current management.

In the former Telnic's forum (which is in a separate section in this forum) there many claims of former Telnic's emploeeys which could be used in that suit against current Telnic policy.
    mikeseaton
    mikeseaton
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

.tel domain : MIkeSeaton.tel

Post by mikeseaton 2016-12-13, 12:58 pm

So from 13 March 2017:

a) Subdomains gone.

b) TelPages search engine and TelFriends gone.

c) Telnames single-page format to become only template available.

d) Option of opting-out from all this and having your .tel as a "normal" domain.

I remember predicting on this forum a year or two back that subdomains had a limited life as Telnic/Telnames focussed all their marketing effort on the Telnames single page format. They then of course sold off all their customers with the Telnames format (prior to ICANN considering whether Telnic should be allowed to renew the .Tel Registry) to Internet.bs but made it impossible for new registrants to select the Telnames format - see https://internetbs.net/telnames.html

Now it's come full circle - and everyone gets the Telnames single page format as shown by the example at http://TelPage.tel whether they want it or not (unless they opt out to "normal" DNS).

Be interesting to see how Telnic's Registrars pitch this - when people register for a new .Tel domain will they be made aware of the now 2 distinct DNS choices - Telnames format or "Normal" domain.

Does anyone know how many URL entries will be permitted on the new single page layout - I think Telnames had a maximum of 20 ?

I'm completely re-evaluating my .Tel portfolio following this announcement - no doubt others are as well !

http://MikeSeaton.tel (must remove my subdomains on this !)
    MWX
    MWX

Post by MWX 2016-12-13, 3:40 pm

mikeseaton wrote:They then of course sold off all their customers with the Telnames format (prior to ICANN considering whether Telnic should be allowed to renew the .Tel Registry) to Internet.bs but made it impossible for new registrants to select the Telnames format - see https://internetbs.net/telnames.html

This demonstrates very good the conceptlessness at Telnic:
    First Telnic kills the Telnames template - and out of sudden all Telnic customers will be forced to use it (if they don't want to opt out).

mikeseaton wrote:Does anyone know how many URL entries will be permitted on the new single page layout - I think Telnames had a maximum of 20 ?

Since no adjustment is planned by Telnic, we can expect that no further change at all will happen. Therefore, it should be 20 entries again.
    ProTel
    ProTel

Post by ProTel 2016-12-13, 4:04 pm

maxi wrote:Perhaps it is possible to win this case and then to ruin Telnic with its current management.

Don't worry; Telnic is already doing everything in its power to ruin itself (see yesterday's announcement)!

Post by 4444 2016-12-13, 4:59 pm

maxi
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Post by maxi 2016-12-13, 5:10 pm

ProTel wrote:
    maxi wrote:Perhaps it is possible to win this case and then to ruin Telnic with its current management.

Don't worry; Telnic is already doing everything in its power to ruin itself (see yesterday's announcement)!
    Case won against Telnic could ruin it to physical bankruptcy so that it will stop existing.

Then this gTDL will stop be managed by Telnic. Then the right to manage it will be passed by ICANN to a new company, who will be interested to develop it (and to have profit).
    TelBlogger
    TelBlogger
    Insider
    Insider

Post by TelBlogger 2016-12-14, 4:44 am

mikeseaton wrote:So from 13 March 2017:

a) Subdomains gone.

b) TelPages search engine and TelFriends gone.

c) Telnames single-page format to become only template available.

d) Option of opting-out from all this and having your .tel as a "normal" domain.

I remember predicting on this forum a year or two back that subdomains had a limited life as Telnic/Telnames focussed all their marketing effort on the Telnames single page format. They then of course sold off all their customers with the Telnames format (prior to ICANN considering whether Telnic should be allowed to renew the .Tel Registry) to Internet.bs but made it impossible for new registrants to select the Telnames format - see https://internetbs.net/telnames.html

Now it's come full circle - and everyone gets the Telnames single page format as shown by the example at http://TelPage.tel whether they want it or not (unless they opt out to "normal" DNS).

Be interesting to see how Telnic's Registrars pitch this - when people register for a new .Tel domain will they be made aware of the now 2 distinct DNS choices - Telnames format or "Normal" domain.

Does anyone know how many URL entries will be permitted on the new single page layout - I think Telnames had a maximum of 20 ?

I'm completely re-evaluating my .Tel portfolio following this announcement - no doubt others are as well !

http://MikeSeaton.tel (must remove my subdomains on this !)
    If we can opt out from all the new Telnic stuff then does this mean we can build a multi-hundred or thousand pages website on .tel by purchasing hosting as with any other domain extension?

This seems to be the critical question.

In which case if we own a directory we can just hire some people to copy the information across to the new website. Then we end up with a much better website on say a wordpress template which can be monetised using adsense etc.

Is this the case?

Post by 4444 2016-12-14, 5:25 am

TelBlogger wrote:Is this the case?

Yes!

But there is an exception: this option is not available to customers who use swear words regularly.
    as
    as
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

Post by as 2016-12-14, 5:31 am

TelBlogger wrote:In which case if we own a directory we can just hire some people to copy the information across to the new website. Then we end up with a much better website on say a wordpress template which can be monetised using adsense etc.

That is the idea of the upcoming changes in March 2017.

In addition to all the disadvantages already mentioned in this discussion, there is another downside:
    Customers will be even more confused about the .tel offers in the future than they have already been in the past.
    People who are not familiar with .tel won't know what to expect when purchasing a .tel and website visitors will be confused what to expect when opening a .tel.
    FrankW.
    FrankW.

Post by FrankW. 2016-12-14, 5:40 am

If Telnic would have listened to the community, then Telnic would provide the Telnames template with subdomains.
    This was strongly and repeatedly demanded by the community.

How can Telnic ignore this?
    maxi
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Post by maxi 2016-12-14, 7:10 am

TelBlogger wrote:In which case if we own a directory we can ... to copy the information across to the new website. Then we end up with a much better website on say a wordpress template which can be monetised using adsense etc.

Is this the case?
    I think not so, because such site will be much "heavier" due to Wordpress codes (or other non-DNS code options). So search engines should rate them worse.

Also, I think that search engines in their algorithms rate to what gTDL belongs your domain. COM is rated higher than others.

I think that TEL was rated also good because of its speed and mobil friendly code and because it is malware free. Contrary, new gTDL should be rated not so good.

So, visually nice directory build on newTDL should have worser ratings and worser position.

Of course, it is only version, because algorithms are top secret of search engines and nobody knows this for sure.

Post by 4444 2016-12-14, 8:06 am

maxi
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Post by maxi 2016-12-14, 8:13 am

If they say so this yet don't mean that it is true:

maxi wrote:... algorithms are top secret of search engines and nobody knows this for sure.

4444, please, look how many COMs and newGTL are on first pages by any seach word: https://www.google.com/search?q=portrait&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

: )

Post by 4444 2016-12-14, 8:28 am

maxi wrote:4444, please, look how many COMs and newGTL are on first pages by any seach word: https://www.google.com/search?q=portrait&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

The first .com domain was registered in 1985, the first nTLD domain was registered in 2014.
    Please don't expect that nTLDs can break the dominance of .com in only 2 years.
    maxi
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Post by maxi 2016-12-14, 8:38 am

4444 wrote:The first .com domain was registered in 1985, the first nTLD domain was registered in 2014.
    Please don't expect that nTLDs can break the dominance of .com in only 2 years.
    OK, how many

NET (introduced at 2002; 12 years ago)
    INFO (introduced at 2001; 15 years ago)
    PRO  (introduced at 2004; 12 years ago)
    US  (introduced at 1985; 31 years ago)

we can see on first pages?

I suggest them be the second choice-domains: a little better kind then newGTDL (which I personally rate as fourth-choice domains).

Post by 4444 2016-12-14, 8:47 am

maxi wrote:I suggest them be the second choice-domains: a little better kind then newGTDL (which I personally rate as fourth-choice domains).

I see a single TLD (like .info, .pro, .us and even .net) not as a real competition to .com.

But thousands of TLDs are a real threat to the dominance of .com.
    But users are adjusting slowly. Hence, I don't expect a fast success of the new TLDs.
    However, the internet landscape won't be the same in 10 years.
    TelBlogger
    TelBlogger
    Insider
    Insider

Post by TelBlogger 2016-12-14, 9:08 am

I don't think any of the above contributors (including myself) understand what the changes mean. Every time I ask a question there are multiple conflicting answers.

I think it's best to go directly to Telnic for answers unless The Guv'nor; Mike Seaton or the very clued-up Expert is about.

C'est La Vie.

Post by 4444 2016-12-14, 9:13 am

@Telblogger

It's not difficult; you will have two options:

1. Using the former Telnames template (as one-pager)
    2. Using any web hosting service of your choice

The only thing you can't do is using the old Telnic template (with sub domains).

(The answer to your question from this morning was a very clear yes!)
    ixida
    ixida

Post by ixida 2016-12-14, 9:45 am

4444 wrote:But there is an exception: this option is not available to customers who use swear words regularly.

I guess TelBlogger doesn't like irony.
    TelBlogger
    TelBlogger
    Insider
    Insider

Post by TelBlogger 2016-12-14, 10:21 am

4444 wrote:@Telblogger

It's not difficult; you will have two options:

1. Using the former Telnames template (as one-pager)
    2. Using any web hosting service of your choice

The only thing you can't do is using the old Telnic template (with sub domains).

(The answer to your question from this morning was a very clear yes!)
    If the answer to the question is Yes, then we are in a far better position because we will be able to make proper multi-page websites with monetization and lots more content than before. A far better product to take to advertisers and directory listers.

Notwithstanding very high hosting costs of course.

Post by 4444 2016-12-14, 11:42 am

@TelBlogger

In a far better position you would be if you buy a normal extension with that you don't have to deal with the crazy and incalculable jumps by Telnic.
    as
    as
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

Post by as 2016-12-14, 11:55 am

Some people start buying .tel domains: 220 new .tel yesterday!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 2024-05-16, 3:27 am