The .TEL Community on the .TEL Domain Forum!

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

+23
Alex
lostwithiel
NewYorkCity
hulltv
Fev2
Watcher
kprobe
supercyberheroes
maxi
as
TELwax
ixida
let
ProjectTel
Sunrise
Boracay
mikeseaton
Telnot
Expert
Tim Spears
Tely
27 posters

Telnic Announces All-numeric Long Domain Strings Available from 15th October 2013

Tely
    Tely

Warning level : 100 %

Telnic Announces All-numeric Long Domain Strings Available from 15th October 2013 Empty Telnic Announces All-numeric Long Domain Strings Available from 15th October 2013

Post by Tely 2013-09-17, 7:28 am

Telnic Limited, the Registry Operator for the communications-focused .tel top level domain (TLD), today announced that all-numeric .tel domain strings of eight digits or longer will be made available in October 2013.

Registrants wishing to register strings such as 00442074676450.tel or 0207-467-6450.tel will be able to do so through ICANN-accredited Registrars from 15:00 GMT on Tuesday 15th October 2013.

"Registrants now have an increased choice of registering a .tel name or a .tel number under which they can publish all types of contact information online," said Khashayar Mahdavi, CEO of Telnic. "This means that if the customer knows either the business name or telephone number for a business, it can be reached online quickly in a mobile-friendly way."

Registrations will be on a first-come, first-served basis. Retail pricing is set by ICANN-accredited Registrars and their resellers, but it is anticipated to be broadly in line with existing .tel pricing.

A list of current ICANN-accredited Registrars that offer .tel domain registrations can be found at http://telnic.org/get-started-buy.html
    Tim Spears
    Tim Spears

Telnic Announces All-numeric Long Domain Strings Available from 15th October 2013 Empty Re: Telnic Announces All-numeric Long Domain Strings Available from 15th October 2013

Post by Tim Spears 2013-09-17, 7:55 am

The first press release from Telnic since 2 years and 3 months!

Telnic Announces All-numeric Long Domain Strings Available from 15th October 2013 Empty Re: Telnic Announces All-numeric Long Domain Strings Available from 15th October 2013

Post by 4444 2013-09-17, 8:07 am

Certainly GoDaddy has no objection anymore against a meanwhile insignificant TLD:

Go Daddy objects to numeric .tel domains

Go Daddy has objected to Telnic’s plan to start selling numeric .tel domain names, saying that it, among other things, “smells a lot like gaming”.

Telnic applied to ICANN last month to revise its registry contract to enable it to start selling domains containing numbers and hyphens.

I speculated a month ago that the International Telecommunications Union might object to the proposal, for reasons I explained in some depth.

(Briefly, Telnic won the .tel sponsored TLD partly because it promised for years not to enable domains that could look like phone numbers.)

But the ITU had nothing to say, at least in terms of the ICANN public comment period.

Go Daddy’s Tim Ruiz did object last Saturday on related grounds, telling ICANN:

We believe that this request cannot be granted without requiring the rebidding of the .tel sTLD itself. It is unfair to other applicants and potential applicants to allow an sTLD to change its purpose after the fact.

Since community, purpose, and use were such important aspects of the sTLD allocation decisions it seems inappropriate, fundamentally unfair, and even smells a lot like gaming, to allow an sTLD to change those aspects without an opportunity for others to bid competitively.
    In response to Ruiz’s letter, Telnic chief executive Khashayar Mahdavi wrote to ICANN:

The restriction on all-numeric strings has nothing to do with the nature of .tel and was instead a measure put in place to address initial concerns about potential conflicts with ENUM… We believe time and the growing understanding of the .tel technology have proven such a conflict does not exist.
    ENUM is a protocol for addressing voice services using the DNS. It uses dots between each individual digit of a phone number, which would be specifically disallowed under Telnic’s plans.

Mahdavi also expressed confusion as to why Go Daddy bothered to object – it is not currently a registry, it does not carry .tel domains and it will presumably not be affected by the relaxation of the .tel rules.

Is it possible the registrar is taking a principled stance?

Ruiz also noted:

We believe that certain other recent requests under the guise of the RSEP [Registry Services Evaluation Process] by sTLDs were also likely inappropriate for similar reasons
    He didn’t specify which sTLDs he was talking about. Without wishing to put words into his mouth, I can think of at least one that fits the description.

The Telnic proposal has already passed ICANN’s staff evaluation. I expect it could come before the board next month at its Cartagena meeting.

In separate news, Telnic’s less-controversial proposal to start selling one and two-character .tel domains has now passed its ICANN evaluation.
    http://domainincite.com/2686-go-daddy-objects-to-numeric-tel-domains

Will ITU object to phone number .tel domains?

Should Telnic be allowed to let people register their phone numbers as .tel domain names?

That’s the question ICANN is currently posing to the internet-using public, after it determined that allowing numeric-only .tel domains does not pose a security and stability threat.

If you can register a phone number in almost every other gTLD (except VeriSign’s .name), then why not in .tel? On the face of it, it’s a no-brainer.

But Telnic’s request represents a huge U-turn, reversing a position it has held for 10 years, that runs the risk of drawing the attention of the International Telecommunications Union.

Telnic originally applied for .tel during ICANN’s very first new gTLD round, back in 2000.

The third-party evaluator ICANN hired to review the new TLD applications clearly assumed that .tel domains would be mainly text-based, noting that Telnic, unlike other .tel bids:

does not make use of phone numbers in the sub-domain name, but instead uses names to designate the intended destination of VoIP calls… the Telnic application appears to have the least impact on PSTN numbering.
    The report added, parenthetically: “It should be noted that Telnic’s application does not explicitly renounce the future use of numbers”.

That all changed after November 2000, when the ITU wrote to ICANN to express concerns about the four proposed telephony-related TLDs:

it is the view of ITU that it would be premature for ICANN to grant any E.164-related TLD application as this may jeopardize these cooperative activities or prejudice future DNS IP Telephony addressing requirements.
    E.164 is the international telephone numbering plan, which the ITU oversees. It also forms the basis of the ENUM protocol, which stores phone numbers in the DNS under e164.arpa.

ICANN’s board of directors used the ITU letter to reject all four telephony TLDs, which irked Telnic. The would-be registry filed a Reconsideration Request in an attempt to get the decision reversed.

In it, Telnic attempted to persuade ICANN that the ITU had nothing to worry about with its “text-based” and strictly non-numeric TLD. The company wrote (my emphasis):

* All-digit strings will be permanently embargoed.

* Broad terms and conditions and safeguards will be implemented covering any abuses that could possibly lead to any PSTN confusion, conflict or similarity.

* Measured use of numbers might be permissible where there is no direct, marginal, implied or similar confusions/conflicts with PSTN codes or numbers – and where digits form an incidental part of a text string (e.g. johnsmith11.tel).
    ICANN’s reconsideration committee denied the request.

In 2004, when ICANN’s sponsored TLD round opened up, Telnic applied for .tel again. This time, it was careful to avoid upsetting the ITU from the very outset.

Indeed, the second paragraph of its application stated clearly:

Digits are to be restricted to maintain the integrity of a letters/words based top-level domain and to avoid interference with established or future national and international telephone numbering plans.
    The application referred to the namespace as “text-based” throughout, and even used the need for policies regulating the use of digits to justify the sponsoring organization it intended to create.

The application stated:

The .Tel will not:

Allow numeric-only domains to be registered, and therefore will not conflict with any national or international telephone numbering plan.
    It also said:

Domain name strings containing only digits with or without a dash (e.g. 08001234567, 0-800-1234567) will be restricted and reserved to maintain the integrity as a letters/words based top-level domain
    Despite these assurances, it was obvious that the ITU’s concerns about numeric .tel domains continued to bother ICANN right up until it finally approved .tel in 2006.

During the board meeting at which Telnic’s contract was approved, director Raimundo Beca pressed for the inclusion of language that addressed the constraints on numeric domains and chair Vint Cerf asked general counsel John Jeffrey to amend the resolution accordingly.

While that amendment appears to have never been made, it was clearly envisaged at the moment of the board vote that .tel was to steer clear of numeric-only domains.

Telnic’s contract now specifically excludes such registrations.

Given all this history, one might now argue that Telnic’s request to lift these restrictions is kind of a Big Deal.

A Telnic spokesperson tells me that, among other things, the current restrictions unfairly exclude companies that brand themselves with their phone numbers, such as 118-118 in the UK.

He added that Telnic request has been made now in part because VeriSign has requested the lifting of similar restrictions in .name, which ICANN has also concluded is not a stability problem.

However, as far as I can tell .name was not subject to the same kinds of ITU-related concerns as .tel when it was approved in 2000.

Telnic proposes one safeguard against conflict with E.164, in that it will not allow the registration of single-digit domains, reducing the potential for confusion with ENUM strings, which separate each digit with a dot.

If the ITU does rear its head in response to the current .tel public comment period, it will come at a awkward time, politically. Some ITU members have said recently they want the ITU to form a committee that would have veto power over ICANN’s decisions.

But Telnic says, in its proposal, that it does not know of anybody who is likely to object to its request.

Perhaps it is correct.
    http://domainincite.com/2334-will-itu-object-to-phone-number-tel-domains
    Expert
    Expert
    Insider
    Insider

Post by Expert 2013-09-17, 9:21 am

Who will register all-numeric .tel domain strings of eight digits or longer as long even domains like 140.tel, 205.tel or 433.tel are available?
    Telnot
    Telnot
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

Post by Telnot 2013-09-17, 10:12 am

Finally I can register my desired domain 54782359745125885332698421983564412239844225478346.tel. I've waited so long for this!
    mikeseaton
    mikeseaton
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

.tel domain : MIkeSeaton.tel

Post by mikeseaton 2013-09-17, 11:14 am

WOW - THIS IS HUGE - and provides the biggest opportunity for MASS LEGAL CYBERSQUATTING the internet has ever seen !

So if I'm in the business of selling domains - which I am by the way - I could register the telephone numbers of the major registrars as all numeric .tel domains - then when the idea of dialling nnnnnnnnnn.tel from your smartphone takes off I get loads of calls meant for GoDaddy etc !

I presume the availability of nnnnnnnnnn.tel will apply to Telnames as well as Telnic .tels ?

Should make for interesting marketing - if the Telnames format is the only one promoted there will potentially be dissatisfaction from users when they find out their new all-numeric .tel from their favourite registrar can't display the Telnames format marketed - unless Telnames finally make their format available to Telnic registrars !

Here's the Press Pelease

This is a MASSIVE DEVELOPMENT - the future of .tel looks much brighter now !

http://MikeSeaton.tel
    Expert
    Expert
    Insider
    Insider

Post by Expert 2013-09-17, 11:56 am

@Mike

Do you really see an advantage registering phonenumber.tel over businessname.tel?
    And one more question:
    How can get .tel awareness for 123456789.tel if it was not possible for abcd.tel and 1234.tel before?
    mikeseaton
    mikeseaton
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Post by mikeseaton 2013-09-17, 2:45 pm

Expert wrote:@Mike

Do you really see an advantage registering phonenumber.tel over businessname.tel?
    And one more question:
    How can get .tel awareness for 123456789.tel if it was not possible for abcd.tel and 1234.tel before?
    YES I DO !

The "Single Point Of Contact" idea of .tel I have always liked - but the big problem has always been that the whole world is geared up for numeric telephone numbers.

After all, how can you have a properly structured domain "name" for the many thousands of John Smiths that exist in the UK - never mind other countries - and of course .tel domain names are not organised by country e.g. uk.tel, us.tel, etc, making it even more difficult.

BUT HERE'S MY BIG IDEA - GIVEN FREE TO KASH !

Do deals with BT, Vodafone, and every other major Telco to provide a FREE ALL-NUMERIC .TEL FOR 1 YEAR with EVERY ACTIVE PHONE NUMBER.

So the person with telephone number 441234567890 gets 441234567890.tel free for the first year (44 being the UK's country code).

It shouldn't be a major project for a Telco to extract all telephone numbers, email addresses, first/last names etc of their users and set up a basic .tel automatically - Telnic/Telnames have already helped "yellow page" organisations with such procedures in the past.

As I said FREE for the first year, but if users find .tel useful there could be MILLIONS of RENEWALS from the second year onwards.

And if these millions of users don't even find a FREE .TEL useful, then at least Telnic/Telnames and all others will know and can stop wasting any more time and money on the .tel project !

Remember in business it doesn't really matter what the vendor thinks about their own product - the crucial test is whether customers will purchase and use it at the price it is offered for sale !

And to answer your second question, I have repeatedly suggested to Telnic/Telnames that they should use the services of this company founded by these 2 guys with a proven track record in the worldwide mass marketing of domain names !

Expert
    Expert
    Insider
    Insider

Post by Expert 2013-09-17, 3:51 pm

Boracay
    Boracay

Post by Boracay 2013-09-18, 7:03 am

So, the (phone-number) .tel is now going to be the only non-changing element of one's contact data? That's possible I guess. I personally have not changed my cell number in 15years

Mike in regards to telnic offering millions of domains for free, I think we have witnessed in the recent past the increased load/strain on telpages indexing (hunDreds of thousands I think it was?) of additional empty sub domains from just a few hundred parent domain. I doubt a free deal is in the offers. 

And telnames hosts pictures, even as a single page, that too has a cost of storage.

Just to be realistic

Post by 4444 2013-09-18, 11:13 am

Coming soon: phone numbers in .tel

Will companies defensively register their phone numbers? Telnic is to start selling long numeric .tel domain names for the first time, so we’re about to find out.

The company plans to lift the longstanding restriction on numeric domains of eight characters or longer on October 15, according to a press release this morning:

Registrants wishing to register strings such as 00442074676450.tel or 0207-467-6450.tel will be able to do so through ICANN-accredited Registrars from 15:00 GMT on Tuesday 15th October.

“Registrants now have an increased choice of registering a .tel name or a .tel number under which they can publish all types of contact information online,” said Khashayar Mahdavi, CEO of Telnic. “This means that if the customer knows either the business name or telephone number for a business, it can be reached online quickly in a mobile-friendly way.”
    Telnic expects numeric .tel domains to cost the same as regular .tel domains, which varies by registrar but can be as low as about $15. There’s not going to be any special sunrise period.

Telnic has had the ability to do this since early 2011, when ICANN approved its Registry Services Evaluation Process request to lift its original ban on numeric-only second-level domains.

The RSEP was not without controversy. Telnic, remember, was one of two applicants for .tel back in 2003, and it won partly because its application committed the company to avoiding numerals.

There had been concern expressed by the International Telecommunications Union and others that phone number .tel domains might interfere with ENUM-based numbering schemes.

Those concerns had largely dried up by the time Telnic submitted its RSEP in 2010, when the only complaint came, weirdly, from Go Daddy.
    http://domainincite.com/14507-coming-soon-phone-numbers-in-tel

Post by 4444 2013-09-18, 11:22 am

Comment to the previous post:

I can’t really imagine many companies registering their phone number in .tel. First: Which format to use? Imagine you are a US based company catering primarily to the national market. You would NOT register 001-202-123-1234, right? You wanted a national US format. So at least you had to register:
    202-123-1234 and
    202-1234567

Now while hyphen domains are not completely unknown in the US they are definitely not mainstream. Hence you had also to register:
    2021234567 which looks extremely odd.

So you sport three national .tel telephone number domains. What will you do with them? If you do not conduct active marketing around them NOTHING will ever happen. Hen and egg problem: .tel will not create the necessary “trend” around their new scheme, the average Internet user will not know about it. The companies are aware of that fact and see no need to register these domains (or market them actively). Which ensures that users never will learn about it. A devils circle in which all older new gTLD’s are trapped. Lets hope at least some of the new ones will tackle the problem. My guess: The majority will not.

Alexander Schubert, Riga
    mikeseaton
    mikeseaton
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Post by mikeseaton 2013-09-18, 12:50 pm

Boracay wrote:Mike in regards to telnic offering millions of domains for free, I think we have witnessed in the recent past the increased load/strain on telpages indexing (hunDreds of thousands I think it was?) of additional empty sub domains from just a few hundred parent domain. I doubt a free deal is in the offers. 

And telnames hosts pictures, even as a single page, that too has a cost of storage.

Just to be realistic
    @Boracay - don't get bogged down in solvable technical issues such as server load/storage etc - read the following Steve Jobs speech, think what he achieved against all the odds, then realise what I am proposing is miniscule in comparison !

Here’s to the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels. The trouble makers, the round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently.

They’re not fond of rules and they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can’t do is ignore them… because they change things, they push the human race forward.

While some may see them as “the crazy ones”, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world – are the ones who do.
    Sunrise
    Sunrise
    Insider
    Insider

Post by Sunrise 2013-09-18, 3:00 pm

4444 wrote:So at least you had to register:
    202-123-1234 and
    202-1234567

Now while hyphen domains are not completely unknown in the US they are definitely not mainstream. Hence you had also to register:
    2021234567 which looks extremely odd.
    An advanced browser should be able to interpret all variants correctly:
    001-202-123-1234
    001-202-1231234
    1-202-123-1234
    1202-123-1234
    1202-1231234
    202-123-1234
    202-1231234
    should all resolve in the same targeted device.
    Sunrise
    Sunrise
    Insider
    Insider

Post by Sunrise 2013-09-18, 3:06 pm

mikeseaton wrote:Here’s to the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels. The trouble makers, the round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently.

They’re not fond of rules and they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can’t do is ignore them… because they change things, they push the human race forward.

While some may see them as “the crazy ones”, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world – are the ones who do.
    This description definitely doesn't fit for Telnic.
    The development there is extremely slow and cumbersome.
    ProjectTel
    ProjectTel

Post by ProjectTel 2013-09-18, 4:14 pm

I visualized the new scenario:

Telnic Announces All-numeric Long Domain Strings Available from 15th October 2013 Phone_11

Click the picture to view it!
    mikeseaton
    mikeseaton
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Post by mikeseaton 2013-09-18, 5:16 pm

Sunrise wrote:An advanced browser should be able to interpret all variants correctly:
    001-202-123-1234
    001-202-1231234
    1-202-123-1234
    1202-123-1234
    1202-1231234
    202-123-1234
    202-1231234
    should all resolve in the same targeted device.
    That's beginning to look expensive, but I personally wouldn't bother with hyphens in registering All-Numeric .tels.

To take Telnic's number as an example, I would simply register the domains 442074676450 .tel (International number) and 02074676450.tel (UK number).

Interesting thought - unless Telnic keep any domain numbers back I could actually legally do this on 15 October !

As I said in an earlier post, this development introduces legal cybersquatting to the internet on a potentially massive scale !

Last edited by mikeseaton on 2013-09-18, 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
    mikeseaton
    mikeseaton
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Post by mikeseaton 2013-09-18, 5:35 pm

mikeseaton wrote:As I said in an earlier post, this development introduces legal cybersquatting to the internet on a potentially massive scale !
    I wonder if David Cameron will instruct his aides to defensively register 442079250918.tel and 02079250918.tel - the telephone number of 10 Downing Street ?

Provided the All-Numeric deal is secure and cannot legally be cancelled, there is a huge opportunity in the next 4 weeks to get this development talked about in the newspapers and on TV !

Sunrise
    Sunrise
    Insider
    Insider

Post by Sunrise 2013-09-18, 5:51 pm

mikeseaton wrote:To take Telnic's number as an example, I would simply register the domains 442074676451 .tel (International number) and 02074676451.tel (UK number).
    I would recommend registering only one phone number to limit the costs.
    If I interact only with people in my own country, I wouldn't use the country code.
    In most countries I have to add a zero in front then (as you show above). That makes it difficult for foreigners.
    If people from other countries should be able to find me, it's better to add the country code.
    So your suggestion seems to be the best solution.
    And I agree I wouldn't use hyphens to make it easier for visitors to type my .tel.
    let
    let

Post by let 2013-09-18, 6:05 pm

mikeseaton wrote:Provided the All-Numeric deal is secure and cannot legally be cancelled, there is a huge opportunity in the next 4 weeks to get this development talked about in the newspapers and on TV !
    Telnic has a very important task to promote this new option.

Nobody will register a numeric .tel because of the press release from yesterday only.
    ixida
    ixida

Post by ixida 2013-09-18, 8:19 pm

I don't understand this discussion. Did anyone ever have the idea to register 442074676450.com, 02074676450.com or these numbers with another domain extension? Why anyone should do it with .tel now?

Many .tel domain names as first names and surnames are unregistered. If even Mark Ellis isn't interested in ellis.tel, why should he register all his phone numbers (work, home, mobile and more) as domain name?
    mikeseaton
    mikeseaton
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Post by mikeseaton 2013-09-19, 7:56 am

If this DomainNumber.tel idea takes off - I do think it is a BIG OPPORTUNITY for Telnic/Telnames (maybe the last) - then it is likely Vanity All-Numeric .Tels like 321.tel will increase in value.

Maybe the "pick-up party" - if there is anyone left there - will focus on these when viewing the daily .tel drops at DotTel.net ?

Sunrise
    Sunrise
    Insider
    Insider

Post by Sunrise 2013-09-19, 8:03 am

mikeseaton wrote:If this DomainNumber.tel idea takes off - I do think it is a BIG OPPORTUNITY for Telnic/Telnames (maybe the last) - then it is likely Vanity All-Numeric .Tels like 321.tel will increase in value.
    I see one sales pitch:
    "If you own an ugly phone number like 02074676451, why don't you register 123456789.tel instead?"
    Unfortunately the number of nice numbers is very limited if you don't want to register 123456789123456789123456789123456789123456789.tel!
    mikeseaton
    mikeseaton
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Post by mikeseaton 2013-09-19, 8:13 am

Sunrise wrote:
    mikeseaton wrote:If this DomainNumber.tel idea takes off - I do think it is a BIG OPPORTUNITY for Telnic/Telnames (maybe the last) - then it is likely Vanity All-Numeric .Tels like 321.tel will increase in value.
    I see one sales pitch:
    "If you own an ugly phone number like 02074676451, why don't you register 123456789.tel instead?"
    Unfortunately the number of nice numbers is very limited if you don't want to register 123456789123456789123456789123456789123456789.tel!
    Which explains this all-numeric .tel registration 2 days ago !

I personally wouldn't go above 4 identical numerics with a vanity .tel, though with non-identical numerics like 123456789 or 22446688 they are very easy to remember.

Sunrise
    Sunrise
    Insider
    Insider

Post by Sunrise 2013-09-19, 8:22 am

Very "clever" to register 1111111.tel while 11111.tel and 111111.tel are still available, too.
    That shows how much people are thinking when registering a .tel!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 2024-03-19, 5:06 am