The .TEL Community on the .TEL Domain Forum!

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

One Vancouver Update

Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

One Vancouver Update Empty One Vancouver Update

Post by Telnic 2014-12-31, 5:40 pm

mattlane09-26-2009 09:35 PM

One Vancouver Update

A while back I had promised to keep the forum updated with the geographically focussed strategy we're trying with the One Vancouver initiative. We've just posted a digest of all the current activity on the site (http://bit.ly/xr7m7). For anyone like me for whom a link seems like a lot of work, I'll try to do the highlights in a moment, but in short, there's a lot going on. There has been a tremendous surge in interest since we've come out of the summer months and the program is really taking on a life of its own. 

Some of the programs appear to have more impact than others, but the key, perhaps not surprisingly, seems to be to getting local mavens on board while concurrently having enough broad based awareness to ensure some initial level of exposure to .tel.

I'll try to post some detailed findings on each of the projects but in the meantime I'll just paraphrase the key activities to give a sense of scope, but for the full article, please visit see http://bit.ly/xr7m7. We'd be happy to respond to specific comments and questions as openly as we can.

mattlane09-26-2009 10:10 PM

Summary of recent activity:

• The EasyPark Billboard Campaign started in August will continue into the Autumn. Thanks to Pictoform (Pictoform.tel), & EasyPark (EasyPark.tel).
    • CanTalk Wireless (CanTalk.tel) have launched their in store .TEL campaign, offering.CanTalk is a mobility chain and gives local people a chance to speak to a reseller in a retail environment. CanTalk Wireless at www.cantalkwireless.ca
    • Blenz Coffee (BlenzCoffee.tel) is ready to launch their in-store Social Media program and is in the process of distributing collateral materials to all their partners, including 10,000 cards featuring their .TEL name.
    • We are continuing our ads in RealtyLink in Print featuring original artwork by internationally renowned, Vancouver-based illustrator, Scot Ritchie. Realtors continue to be the number one vertical for .TEL.
    • Marilyn Anderson of Duet Media has organized Vancouver’s first .TEL Meet Uphttp://www.meetup.com/dotTel/
    • DotTelCentral.com is a new hierarchical directory aimed at promoting businesses that use .TEL. Created by HOBN(www.highoutputnetworking.com), it employs a Yahoo/DMOZ like human-reviewed model. The team have been consulting withMark Kolb of TelMasters, author of many of the leading .TEL tools and applications to help identify and find the best selection of .TEL names.
    • Make IT Business upcoming edition features an interview with Webnames.ca’s Chief Operating Officer, Cybele Negris focussing on .TEL, how it works and why it’s so critical that businesses get their .TEL names. Make IT Business
    • We are working with the creative team at News 1130 Radio to put together a .TEL awareness raising campaign to air in October. We also have local TV slots coming up.
    • It looks as though there will be a good turn out from growing contingent of .TEL enthusiasts at The Entrepreneur Showcase, organised by Small Business BC on Wednesday October 7. The Entrepreneur Showcase features 17 Vancouver based entrepreneurs, including Webnames.ca COO, Cybele Negris and Blenz President, George Moen. George is also the keynote speaker, so we’re pretty sure the audience of 250 local businesses, media and government representatives will hear more than a little bit about .TEL and how it fits into effective marketing and Social Media strategies. Webnames.ca will be featuring a .TEL exhibit with competitions on the spot registrations and we have a number of .TEL advocates at the event so there’ll be a lot of .TEL expertise on the ground for the event.
    • Hornet, the .TEL Address Book for Blackberry continues to be a major influence when it comes to demonstrating the power of .TEL, especially to the business community. We've had over 1000 downloads and some great feedback from users. A minor release was issued last week (Alpha 1.06) Hornet.tel or www.hornetHub.com
    • We’ve been conducting some preliminary research with local store owners, coffee shops and salons and have received very positive feedback and interest in a potential new initiative provisionally entitled Neighbourhood.tel. The program involves local retailer promoting .TEL while becoming resellers themselves. Participating retailers receive their own .TEL name to share with customers together with attractive collateral materials in the form of display posters and rack cards. The rack card feature their own .TEL names, together with .TEL information and instructions for registering their own .TEL names. Each registration is tracked to the retailer who receives a referral fee. Details are still being worked out, but we hope to launch a pilot program with around 50 retailers in late October.

[size]

Full article at www.one-vancouver.com (http://bit.ly/xr7m7.)[/size]

OnSpec09-29-2009 02:28 PM

Thanks for the update Matt. Webnames and Vancouver are certainly doing more than their fair share of finding .Tel evangelists to help spread the word.

Looking forward to more announcements from you and others in the .Tel ecosystem.

Cheers,

marimax09-29-2009 03:41 PM

Hey mattlane

When people from Vancouver get involved in domain business it has to succed.
    I used to live in Vancouver and when .tel take off I may be able to buy a house there again.
    To help our cause I have an idea and contribution.
    I own cknw.tel. For those not familiar with Vancouver this is the calling name for the most popular talk show radio station.
    I populated it with the information taken from their website.
    Now here is the deal. I am willing to donate this site for free to CKNW providing you guys from Vancouver contact CKNW and ask them to use it every time they give away the telephone number to call the host.
    Also you should insist they will let you get on the radio to explain what .tel is and how to use it.
    If you succed with CKNW we will get a ton of free publicity

RonMunson09-29-2009 05:00 PM

Great work MattLane. I have seen some of the local examples above which is very cool. Living in the Vancouver area I definitely have seen quite a bit of exposure to .tel on vehicles, billboards such as the Easy Park one and local websites. It will be interesting to see if some of these items are visible to the world during the Winter Olympic coverage in 2010.

So maybe, in the land of domaining, we are starting to see signs of it growing. Shortly I will have VancouverDining.tel created and would love to have it added to the VancouverOne.tel platform.

As an extension to an annual print publication by local food critics I find the the mobile version could be very handy for people in the Vancouver area on the fly. How do I apply to have it added?

mattlane09-29-2009 08:31 PM

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Its much appreciated. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by marimax (Post 1652)
    Now here is the deal. I am willing to donate this site for free to CKNW providing you guys from Vancouver contact CKNW and ask them to use it every time they give away the telephone number to call the host.

[size]
    Thanks for this Marimax. We spoke to both CKNW and to News1130 during the due diligence phase and ultimately went with the latter. As a result, CKNW are definitely aware of .tel and we even comped them a couple to play with. We'll be speaking to News1130 next week about using their .tel and if they start using it, I think CKNW would be quite receptive to the idea.

A lot of companies have very involved marketing strategies, so I'm not sure that it would be fair to mandate the use of the .tel on air, but I'm sure they would be very grateful to know they can get their name back from someone who is protecting it for them.[/size]

mattlane09-29-2009 08:53 PM

@RonMunsun vancouverDining.tel looks great. I've added it to Hornet and will look forward to trying some of the restaurants you recommend. When you're ready for it to go up, just drop us an email at telOfTheDay@oneVancouver.tel and we'll make sure it gets featured. Our list is also being propagated to DotTelCentral.com so you get a double listing, which should also help a bit with the rankings!

Shahid09-29-2009 11:11 PM

@Mattlane like your twitter style good work on .tel promotion with one Vancouver hope it reaches new heights.

@RonMunsun great job highly professional and good layout as a suggestion i would recommend if restaurants or bars could be highlighted with the amount of money spent in it would get an idea to a user if he should take his wife / gf / date there or somewhere else i heard someone talking of it a few months ago so i think you should ad some info like that what you say ?

mattlane10-02-2009 04:25 AM

Make IT Business Interview with Cybele Negris

@Shahid - Thanks very much!

Further to my original post, here's the online version of the Make IT Business .TEL article with Webnames.ca COO Cybele Negris:http://bit.ly/4yXFmB

If you'd like to follow Cybele on Twitter, she's at www.twitter.com/cybelenegris

mattlane10-06-2009 12:52 AM

.TEL Radio Ads

A number of people have asked for the times of the radio ads. I was able to get the following from teh radio station for the remainder of the day and tomorrow.

You can stream News 1130 over the air from News1130.com. Click on Listen > Listen Live.

There are 3 different ads. News 1130 is a local station with a reach of 375,000 listeners. All times are in PST (GMT -8)

Mon 10/05 I 7:31p 10 03LV SAVE A TREE 
    Mon 10/05 E 8:58p 30 1787 DOT TEL/MOBILE BUSINESS CARD
    Mon 10/05 E 10:44p 30 1788 DOT TEL/YOU'RE GOING TO HEAR IT A LOT
    Mon 10/05 K 11:31p 10 01LV ELECTRONIC BIZ CARD

Tue 10/06 E 12:48a 30 1747 DOT TEL/GET THAT NUMBER
    Tue 10/06 F 1:06a 30 1788 DOT TEL/YOU'RE GOING TO HEAR IT A LOT
    Tue 10/06 F 3:25a 30 1787 DOT TEL/MOBILE BUSINESS CARD
    Tue 10/06 F 4:25a 30 1788 DOT TEL/YOU'RE GOING TO HEAR IT A LOT
    Tue 10/06 G 6:11a 10 02LV BAD AT NUMBERS
    Tue 10/06 K 6:51a 10 03LV SAVE A TREE
    Tue 10/06 A 8:18a 30 1747 DOT TEL/GET THAT NUMBER
    Tue 10/06 E 10:58a 30 1788 DOT TEL/YOU'RE GOING TO HEAR IT A LOT
    Tue 10/06 E 12:58p 30 1787 DOT TEL/MOBILE BUSINESS CARD
    Tue 10/06 K 2:41p 10 01LV ELECTRONIC BIZ CARD
    Tue 10/06 I 3:31p 10 02LV BAD AT NUMBERS
    Tue 10/06 E 4:48p 30 1788 DOT TEL/YOU'RE GOING TO HEAR IT A LOT
    Tue 10/06 C 5:25p 30 1747 DOT TEL/GET THAT NUMBER
    Tue 10/06 E 7:18p 30 1788 DOT TEL/YOU'RE GOING TO HEAR IT A LOT
    Tue 10/06 K 7:41p 10 03LV SAVE A TREE
    Tue 10/06 D 9:55p 30 1787 DOT TEL/MOBILE BUSINESS CARD 
    Tue 10/06 E 11:28p 30 1788 DOT TEL/YOU'RE GOING TO HEAR IT A LOT

mattlane10-24-2009 08:12 AM

.TEL Interview with George Moen

I only found out that this was on half way through, but its a great in depth interview with George Moen about .tel. George has had a number of speaking engagements and interviews over the past weeks and has been spreading the word about .tel to the business community of Vancouver.

My apologies for the sound quality and various background noises, but definately worth a listen.

http://www.one-vancouver.com/2009/10...h-george-moen/

Cheers

Matt

--
    lane.tel

mattlane10-24-2009 08:27 AM

Unfortunately we weren't able to get a lot of photos from the various events last week, but @mattsayswhat (Twitter) just dropped me a line with a bunch of photos from the BCAIM meeting http://ow.ly/whBx.

Also, for interest Cybele and I met this morning with Ryan Holmes, founder of Invoke, the guys behind Hoot Suite who had a number of really great ideas about .tel in relation to social media which we're hoping to follow up on in the coming months.

tony mayo10-24-2009 10:09 AM

Quote:

Also, for interest Cybele and I met this morning with Ryan Holmes, founder of Invoke, the guys behind Hoot Suite who had a number of really great ideas about .tel in relation to social media which we're hoping to follow up on in the coming months.

[size]
    Sounds exciting, Matt. Keep us informed. 
    I am already using HootSuite as part of my .tel marketing strategy - it's a terrific social media tool and I would highly recommend it.[/size]

telrific10-24-2009 11:44 AM

Great Interview !

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattlane (Post 2012)
    I only found out that this was on half way through, but its a great in depth interview with George Moen about .tel. George has had a number of speaking engagements and interviews over the past weeks and has been spreading the word about .tel to the business community of Vancouver.

My apologies for the sound quality and various background noises, but definately worth a listen.

http://www.one-vancouver.com/2009/10...h-george-moen/

Cheers

Matt

--
    lane.tel

[size]

Thanks for sharing that Matt, it was a great interview !!![/size]

Shahid10-24-2009 11:58 AM

missed on the ads, but i will surely listen to the interview just got it on download

mattlane11-13-2009 05:49 AM

November Meet Up

Quick note to say that there's another Vancouver .TEL Meetup tomorrow morning. Its great to see the numbers growing and the wide range of backgrounds of people attending. There are some interesting comments and profiles in the members list if you're interested in 'real world' reaction to .tel. 

What's really exciting about this group is that it really has nothing to do with us. We're helping to re-tweet and provide information but basically this is just people in Vancouver getting together to learn more about .tel

http://www.meetup.com/dotTel/

mattlane11-15-2009 02:51 AM

Just to follow up, we had a great turn out for the November dot Tel Meetup in Vancouver. About 50 people turned up with standing room only - next month we may need a bigger venue. These meetings are always interesting as they are attended by a diverse audience. I spoke to engineers, financial advisers, realtors, marketing and sales professionals and a number of small business owners. A lot of people had downloaded Hornet or Superbook and were exchanging their .tel names at the event. 

About two thirds of the attendees already had one or more .tel names and a lot of people were interested in the best ways to set up their .tel names and how to improve rankings in the search engines. 

I had a great chat to a couple of realtors who will be looking at strategies for really integrating .tel as a central part of their marketing initiatives. They were talking about car wrap arounds, toppers for their For Sale signs and how best to structure the dozen or so .tel names they'd purchased most effectively (they had their company name, their personal names and a handful of generics).

I also spoke further to one of the organizers of the event, Marilyn Anderson about her idea for Dot Tel Radio. We've talked about it a couple of times and will be talking more next week. I'll start another thread on this as it isnt't strictly Vancouver based, but it's beginning to take shape and looks to be very exciting.

For anyone in the Vancouver area, the next Meetup will be on Friday December 11.

steved197511-17-2009 05:45 PM

Great work matt - any chance of you guys expanding into the states?

Shahid11-17-2009 08:30 PM

not just to states i think it would be nice if some of you could come to Arab World like
    Dubai,UAE or Abu Dhabi these are rich Cities and once an idea is adopted by
    professionals more will be willing to grab it.

Shahid

mattlane11-18-2009 06:21 AM

@steved1975 @Shahid - thanks guys. We're actually trying to put together a program at the moment that can be rolled out in any city. We've certainly gained a lot of experience over the past 6 months about things that work and things that don't and we're trying to compile that into a program. We're looking to trial the rollout with another of the forum members in a large city in the states. I think there's a lot to be gained by different localites working together across the globe, sharing storeis, experiences and hopefully creating some mutually benefitial connections along the way.

The program we're working on includes a lot of pre-created materials, including a site, collateral materials and mlm program for resellers, making it very easy to get a comprehensive program off the ground and have a support mechanism already in place. It takes the successful aspects of what we've done so far and creates a package that would effectively become chapters in cities around the world. In addition to spreading the word about .tel, many of the early adopters and advocates of .tel become resellers which helps create a financial base for the chapter.

While I strongly believe there's a lot of additonal value in working in a network of coordinated chapters, there is also value in just getting out there and doing your own thing in which ever community you belong.

I hope that we'll be able to bring you news of the next city before the end of the year. In the meantime, if you're interested in discussing setting up a version of one vancouver in your own city or region, please don't hesitate to drop me a line through lane.tel
    Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

One Vancouver Update Empty Re: One Vancouver Update

Post by Telnic 2014-12-31, 5:40 pm

Shahid11-18-2009 08:37 AM

that surely is good news, i guess every product in the world needs promotion and i do feel we are lacking that big time, i do understand another TLD ( with options like .tel ) can't come out but then again where are we ? but i hope it turns out good for everyone i might be posting a thread soon about some possibilities we can achieve.

Current date/time is 2024-05-14, 7:49 pm