The .TEL Community on the .TEL Domain Forum!

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

3 posters

Rapid development and release lifecycle at Telnames !!!

Alex
    Admin

Warning level : 100 %
    Comments : I have left TelTalk.org.

Please contact the new forum
    owner "tel.community" instead!

Rapid development and release lifecycle at Telnames !!! Empty Rapid development and release lifecycle at Telnames !!!

Post by Alex 2012-07-10, 11:31 am

Telnames: Switching to Agile

“I believe that our recent adoption of an Agile approach to development has really helped to speed up the whole lifecycle. Using Agile has really meant that we can prioritise and move quickly on feedback we receive from user testing and our internal stakeholders.”
    Gareth Jehu, Operations Director, Telnames

The client

Telnames provides .tel addresses that offer a universally accessible point of contact and show real-time information online. With .tel domains, both businesses and individuals can get an online presence, find new clients, and stay in touch with their business partners and friends.

The challenge

After developing a reseller website for Telnames, Box UK has enjoyed a successful ongoing relationship with the client, completing a number of other projects to help extend the organisation’s reach and strengthen their brand.

A Waterfall project management methodology was employed in these developments; however this approach required highly detailed specifications at the start of the project and for any change requests, including post-live updates as Telnames’ business requirements and user needs evolved. This extended the lifecycle of many projects and increased administrative overheads for Telnames; a more time- and cost-effective framework was therefore required.

Our solution

Due to the constantly evolving nature of Telnames’ requirements, Box UK suggested they adopt an Agile project management framework. This approach reduces the need for heavy documentation up-front as the focus is placed instead on regular communication between the project team and product owner.

Box UK worked closely with Telnames to ensure the switch to Agile was as smooth as possible, creating a timetable to ensure a successful sprint rhythm and reduce the risk of bottlenecks by making certain everybody involved understood all requirements and schedules. Development was carried out in one-week ‘sprints’, with a working product produced and demonstrated at the end of each period of work.

The outcome

The flexibility offered by Agile is ideal for Telnames, allowing them to respond to changing conditions and demands as well as providing regular feedback throughout the development lifecycle. Telnames are therefore able to drive the direction of development, while Box UK can deliver products more quickly due to the removal of excessive documentation.

The reduced timescales and overheads that have resulted from this new approach allow Telnames to make best use of their budget. The short development sprints also offer increased financial flexibility as a finished product is produced at the end of each week, so Telnames can take current conditions and trends into account when planning their short- and long-term strategies.

Source: BoxUK.com
    mikeseaton
    mikeseaton
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

.tel domain : MIkeSeaton.tel

Rapid development and release lifecycle at Telnames !!! Empty Re: Rapid development and release lifecycle at Telnames !!!

Post by mikeseaton 2012-07-10, 11:38 am

Sounds like the way most internet developers I know work anyway - without the fancy methodology title !

It does beg the question - why was the same methodology not employed in the development of the 3 Telnic templates which ended up being released a year later than originally planned ?

Still all water under the bridge now - let's get behind the only template that is being actively marketed (as shown by http://YourBusiness.tel) and sign up with Telnames to spread the word far and wide.

Pragmatism Rules OK - here's the link from Telnames you need - http://www.telnames.com/contact/partner-with-us

http://MikeSeaton.tel
    gobigcity
    gobigcity

Rapid development and release lifecycle at Telnames !!! Empty Re: Rapid development and release lifecycle at Telnames !!!

Post by gobigcity 2012-07-10, 1:18 pm

Mike
    How can we get behind Telnames? All of my .tels were purchased with the goal of building a killer directory. That will not work on a single page site.
    mikeseaton
    mikeseaton
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

.tel domain : MIkeSeaton.tel

Post by mikeseaton 2012-07-10, 3:04 pm

gobigcity wrote:Mike
    How can we get behind Telnames? All of my .tels were purchased with the goal of building a killer directory. That will not work on a single page site.
    I just don't think directories are the focus of Telnic/Telnames any more.

There is simply no marketing taking place for the subdomain approach of the Telnic templates - but Telnames as we all know appear to have a lot going on to promote their single page template.

Sometimes Life is Unfair - this may be one of those moments.

I too have a lot of Telnic subdomain-based .Tels I have spent a large amoint of time populating - I just don't envisage much of a marketable future for them as they are.

http://MikeSeaton.tel
    Alex
    Admin

Comments : I have left TelTalk.org.

Please contact the new forum
    owner "tel.community" instead!

Post by Alex 2012-07-10, 3:16 pm

mikeseaton wrote:I just don't think directories are the focus of Telnic/Telnames any more.
    The decision is up to Telnic if they really want to ignore the greatest potential of .tel ever:

PuntoTel.es

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 2024-05-19, 1:09 am