The .TEL Community on the .TEL Domain Forum!

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

TelPages.com Who/What/Where Search

Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

TelPages.com Who/What/Where Search Empty TelPages.com Who/What/Where Search

Post by Telnic 2014-12-31, 6:19 pm

mikeseaton08-24-2010 04:13 PM

TelPages.com Who/What/Where Search

Having just read the August newsletter I thought I would try out the new Who/What/Where search of TelPages.com.

Conclusion - Superb - one of the best ways of demonstrating the usefulness of Dot Tel to a potential owner that I have come across.

One comment - I would like to see the link on the home page to this search made more obvious - perhaps by changing the words to "Who/What/Where" and bolding them.

This Who/What/Where search shows the potential power of Dot Tel - try it out for yourself by clicking http://www.telpages.com and then "Search by type or location".

Mike Seaton

telrific08-24-2010 06:33 PM

Or simply use what everyone in the world is used to looking for ...

"Advanced Search"

and you're right about the 'needs to stand out', but standing out should be placement if nothing else - directly under the search button ...

One's eyes are automatically drawn to the Search Button, and strategically placing an 'Advanced Search' link directly below the Search Button 
    would encourage activity, if advanced is in fact what they were after.

spline08-24-2010 10:07 PM

Agree the new search show the potential of .tel and should be much more obvious.

I think it should be just as easy to access as normal search.

It would also be nice if you made a, use this as default function that created a cookie in the browser so next time you went to telpages.com you would end up on the default page with the settings you had?

Bunjie08-24-2010 11:33 PM

I think we should have a form of "primary" flag for .tel Telpages so for instance if I put I'm admin in the name box on another .tel it won't bother indexing it for the "primary" keyword term which is my online name.

Because first result is fine, that's my primary but 4th is a result at random that's not even a part of my "primary" contact .tel, but it contains my name on another .tel which is irrelevant to the search keyword results to the end user.

This should not be in the results, it's irrelevant to the "primary" keyword searched.

Quote:

Telfur - Administrator Bunjie ...
    openlife-grid.furry.tel

[size]
    So I think it would be great to have a "system flag" so we can pin what our primary contact .tel is and what pages we think are relevant for a keyword term, to help craft better results.

Or a flag to tell Telpages not to "index" or bother with stuff that we consider irrelevant, like admin name on another .tel or some other such thing that produces undesirable results.[/size]

telrific08-25-2010 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spline (Post 10748)
    Agree the new search show the potential of .tel and should be much more obvious.

I think it should be just as easy to access as normal search.

It would also be nice if you made a, use this as default function that created a cookie in the browser so next time you went to telpages.com you would end up on the default page with the settings you had?

[size]
    The problem is that there are always 2 kinds of Search - "Global" or "Local".

"Global/General" Search is more popular than "Local/Specific" Search.

(See Alexa Rankings for Google.com versus YellowPages.com)

There are always benefits to both, but the Standard should always be "Global/General", with Advanced for "Local/Specific".

__________________________________________________ ___________________

Intelligent Content and Intelligent Search even argue that Advanced for "Local" or "Specific"
    is just silly period, you just need to learn how to Search using one box:

Global - "Hotels"
    Local - "Chicago Hotels"

General - "Dresses"
    Specific - "Wedding Dresses"

The only advance is to have a "Radius Tool" to accomodate "Offline" concerns.

If a Business or Individual actually is an "Offline" concern, why not create a "Checkbox" to show a "Brick and Mortar" or "Geographical Concern" flag ?

I understand that the "Location" is supposed to be this automatic flag, but does it automatically translate to the Search term ? No.

[ Nevermind - it does do that, Telnic has it right - General for Main Page, Radius Tools and Advanced Boxes For Specific - BRILLIANT ! ]

Almost Brilliant - After deliberating yet again one realizes quickly that it is in fact NOT Brilliant ...

I stand by the Following:

Only ONE search box is EVER needed for the search term no matter what - General/Global/Local/Specific

Only ONE option for advanced is EVER needed and that is a Radius option.

They should BOTH be on the ONE page, with a "Radius Option" located directly below the Search Button.

__________________________________________________ ________
    |_________________________________________________ _________|

________ 
    |_Search _|

Radius Option

If Anyone enters a Who or What or Where, Radius Option may be ignored. (Global)

If Anyone enters a Who or What or Where, Radius Option drops a Radius Distance Tool (Local)

No need for two pages OR more than One Box ... Ever ...

One Box, One Radius Option, One Page ... BRILLIANT !

:D[/size]

telrific08-25-2010 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunjie (Post 10751)
    I think we should have a form of "primary" flag for .tel Telpages so for instance if I put I'm admin in the name box on another .tel it won't bother indexing it for the "primary" keyword term which is my online name.

Because first result is fine, that's my primary but 4th is a result at random that's not even a part of my "primary" contact .tel, but it contains my name on another .tel which is irrelevant to the search keyword results to the end user.

This should not be in the results, it's irrelevant to the "primary" keyword searched.

So I think it would be great to have a "system flag" so we can pin what our primary contact .tel is and what pages we think are relevant for a keyword term, to help craft better results.

Or a flag to tell Telpages not to "index" or bother with stuff that we consider irrelevant, like admin name on another .tel or some other such thing that produces undesirable results.

[size]
    I like that "Flag" choice, too.[/size]

AJV USA08-25-2010 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by telrific (Post 10753)

Only ONE search box is EVER needed for the search term no matter what - General/Global/Local/Specific

They should BOTH be on the ONE page, with a "Radius Option" located directly below the Search Button.

__________________________________________________ ________
    |_________________________________________________ _________|

________ 
    |_Search _|

Radius Option

If Anyone enters a Who or What or Where, Radius Option may be ignored. (Global)

If Anyone enters a Who or What or Where, Radius Option drops a Radius Distance Tool (Local)

No need for two pages OR more than One Box ... Ever ...

One Box, One Radius Option, One Page ... BRILLIANT ![/B]

[size]

Yes, you are right. A single box can be used for Global/General/Specific and a Radius tool is all you need for Local ... good catch.

:)[/size]

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)08-25-2010 01:46 AM

Simplify the search by detecting the IP of the browser (to derive geo location) or geo-location of the mobile device, then optionally show the closest .tels in the map.

telrific08-25-2010 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Kolb (Kprobe) (Post 10758)
    Simplify the search by detecting the IP of the browser (to derive geo location) or geo-location of the mobile device, then optionally show the closest .tels in the map.

[size]
    Unfortunately I rarely look for things in the radius of where I'm at, versus where I'm going.

The automatic tools are too annoying to many, I've heard this expressed too often.

Google too uses just one search box, and wisely so, to accomodate the Global/General/Specific Results, then "adds" local when it senses a 
    Geography request and provides a map with built in radius in the results.

I would prefer to see the single search box with manual radius option however, Google local results are too limiting and almost annoying.

If I don't want it, I don't want it - I have that option with a single box on TelPages.com search,

If I do want it, I do want it, but I would like to have control over the radius distance and view it as a separate option - that is still handy on
    the front page of course.

:o[/size]

AJV USA08-25-2010 08:49 PM

I would suggest one Search box as you said Telrific, however,
    instead of putting 'Radius Option' I would just put 'Local Search'.

Might sound too technical to users otherwise, plus there is more than just Radius.

telrific08-25-2010 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJV USA (Post 10769)
    I would suggest one Search box as you said Telrific, however,
    instead of putting 'Radius Option' I would just put 'Local Search'.

Might sound too technical to users otherwise, plus there is more than just Radius.

[size]
    I think that is a great suggestion ... I stand, or actually sit, corrected.

TelPages.com suddenly has the ability to STOMP the competition for a Search tool.

Here's why:

As I said there are 2 kinds of Search - "Global" or "Local"

Examples were given that made the synonymous terms more apparent:

Global/General/Local/Specific

Global Search - Hotels
    General Search - Dresses
    Local Search - Chicago Hotels
    Specific Search - Wedding Dresses

Combinations could also be involved - Wedding Dresses Chicago

Global Requires No Radius Tool or Map
    General Requires No Radius Tool or Map
    Specific Requires No Radius Tool or Map

Only LOCAL requires the Radius Tool or Map, no matter HOW it's combined with the others.

Google - INCLUDES the Local, too often annoying.
    YellowPages - DEMANDS the Local, and dis-includes the rest of the World.

BOTH are BAD versus what TelPages could have on the Front Page:

ONE Search Box with a "Local Search" option underneath the main Search Button

I know when I want the "ONE OUT OF FOUR" inclusion, and have that option directly below where it's handy.

The rest of the time I know when I want the "THREE OUT OF FOUR" without local inclusion and it's NOT annoying me by cluttering the results.

Brilliant !

:)[/size]

spline08-25-2010 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by telrific (Post 10753)

Almost Brilliant - After deliberating yet again one realizes quickly that it is in fact NOT Brilliant ...

[size]
    You mean one serachbox and a map and a radius?

Anyway I think this will be an eye opener to some people about the future of .tel
    [/size]

Blunderer08-26-2010 12:25 PM

Does it work on mobiles?

AJV USA08-27-2010 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by telrific (Post 10770)

Google - INCLUDES the Local, too often annoying.
    YellowPages - DEMANDS the Local, and dis-includes the rest of the World.

BOTH are BAD versus what TelPages could have on the Front Page

[size]

You just stated the whole opportunity there.

:cool:[/size]

Cees08-27-2010 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blunderer (Post 10774)
    Does it work on mobiles?

[size]
    Haven't done extensive testing, however yesterday I had to search on one of my own .tels whilst on work site for a phone number and that worked fine, saved me a lot of time.

On the search box, I like simple always, never been a fan of auto except if I want to be surprised.[/size]

Current date/time is 2024-05-13, 2:45 am