The .TEL Community on the .TEL Domain Forum!

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

Lifting Up

Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

Lifting Up Empty Lifting Up

Post by Telnic 2015-01-01, 2:59 pm

TELcp08-17-2012 07:50 AM

Lifting Up

We have seen it all during the past 3.5 years.
    .tel was introduced as a communication base for individuals and organisations.
    The extension "tel" itself clearly indicates the main purpose of this.
    It is instantly identified as something to do with telecommunication, telephone, telefax, telex or similar.
    NOT as web.

People who purchased this tld in 2008 and again in 2009 sensed that .tel could change, making life easier, the way people communicate.
    Unfortunately, some got this whole new idea mixed up with the web.
    They wanted to make this new tel a cheap alternative to traditional websites.
    Not a bad idea.
    But one should realise that technology behind the .tel can never compete with the modern web based technologies.
    Therefore, it is a waste of time, energy and money if anyone tries to follow this.
    Many who realized this lost interest in the .tel altogether.
    This is one of the main obstacles .tel faces today in reaching its registration targets.
    The more you push it towards the web more it goes down.

The .tel should be treated as means of communication.
    Therefore, the inventor of this great technology should spend more time and money in improving it as "new way for people to communicate".

.tel should do only what it is supposed to do.
    Drifting away from the original course will not help anyone!

dialaroom08-17-2012 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TELcp (Post 25322)

.tel should do only what it is supposed to do.
    Drifting away from the original course will not help anyone!

[size]
    Exactly, I'd even go so far as to say the whole template thing has been a disaster. Moving away from just one template, one look, one recognisable corporate and public image was the start. and as for Telnames, don't get me started.[/size]

dutchstreetdog08-17-2012 08:32 AM

Well people seems to enjoy the "website look" setup of my aduls site (up to 6000 pageviews a day !)
    I never seen a "normal" website with such a fine structure like DotTel, so fast, so efficiënt 
    Ok it will never bey a regular website, i think it will even bey better then a website
    So i think DotTel offers so much more then just comunication 
    It just isnt the time yet and mabey never will !

Mabey never a complete website, But the best directory in the World !
    And with those Google rankings ( my site! ) Google seems to think The Same way
    And with all those third party tools that can bey build i dont see much difrence with ordinary websites
    What those a ordinary website offers more then DotTel ?!
    Its onley more chaos in ordinary websites
    DotTel is sooo Nice stuctured

TELcp08-17-2012 09:39 AM

@Dutch
    But what do you see of your .tel sites on smartphones?
    We, those who are interested in the .tel technology, need to gear up for the future.
    The future of the .tel lies in the smartphone. Not in the desktop/laptop presentations.

In fact, your sites (if your intention to use them for presentations) will do much better than 6000 views/per day on a traditional website + mobi combination if you are willing to pay little more than what you pay for a .tel. Traditional web technologies are more flexible for building web sites.

The .tel has it's own limits.
    So, it is NOT good for building websites or any alternatives for websites.

I am sorry, I am not discouraging you or anyone else for doing so, but I am compelled to give you a straightforward answer to realise what actually tel is meant for.

++++

boracay.tel08-17-2012 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dutchstreetdog (Post 25324)
    But the best directory in the World !

[size]
    potentially. some crucial areas need attention.
    would be good though[/size]

Geo08-17-2012 10:23 PM

Tel as a communication technology is dead in the water without critical mass. 

I would like to see Tel serve both needs - as a means to contact someone via the .Tel address, as well as an online address for which individuals or companies can express themselves creatively. I don't buy into the one size fits all - it's uninspiring and unnecessary. 

The real trick in terms of using a Tel address to contact someone directly is simply a matter of adoption by mobile or VOIP companies... who could implement it in their device software or in apps. The companies will only adopt and implement if the reward is there, namely, if there are enough Tel owners out there... so the question is really how to get millions of people onboard the Tel bandwagon. What will come first - the chicken or the egg?

In my opinion the way forward is to make Tel addresses free - 1/person (and provide a platform by which users could customize to their hearts delight) in making their own website. But the free addresses would feature advertising of course. Pay an annual fee and be ad-free as well. This is a proven model that worked very well for Google and so many other social media networks. The free Tel addresses could be distributed through mobile companies or ISPs which would then be able to feature their advertising and in the process have the means to restrict one address per mobile number or IP address.

Artaban08-18-2012 07:18 AM

I agree with TelCP:

"The future of the .tel lies in the smartphone."

But .Tel domains are web-related too.

My way to make a reference about this, with the current dot tel platform (and CMS), is to say that the best of all the new templates inside the Telhosting panel is the Template 7. 

You can not see the main image of the nice template 8 in the built-in web browser of a BB phone.

We shall use Tel domain names and websites friendly for mobile access, but we don't need to say goodbye to the imagination, as a way to make developments using these marvelous domains. 

If this was not the good way to go, then Telnic should show the users which is the best thing that can be done with a Tel domain name, and if it is reasonable to register more than (only) one (1).

Thanks a lot.

TELcp08-19-2012 11:27 AM

Think of the arrival en masse of new new gTLDs next year.
    They are all web based, and some extensions will pose direct threat to the .tel, just because the name of the extension itself mean the purpose of the domain name.
    Most of them will have no restrictions.
    Just register the domain name. 
    Next stop is any web host with ready to go web templates.
    There you get more flexibility than what .tel can offer.

So who will bother with just one web page of .tel domain?

.tel will never ever succeed as an alternative to the web.
    If anyone thinks .tel is going to be the next generation web, then better forget the tel altogether and find something else better.

The ONLY way .tel can survive and thrive is putting it back to the original concept of "the new way to communicate". And improve accordingly.
    Again, that's not enough.
    The message has to be communicated loud n clear to the general public.

The present drive to promote .tel as an alternative to web will live only until the arrival of the new gTLDs.

++++

Blunderer08-19-2012 03:48 PM

@TELcp,

You are right.

We need to stick with the mobile view, and (improving?) functionality, and also the dedicated search function of TelPages.

TELcp08-19-2012 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blunderer (Post 25345)
    ...and also the dedicated search function of TelPages.

[size]
    This is what Telnic should pay attention to in the first place.
    Make telpages.com a global search engine for all communication/contact information.
    Lift restriction on subdomains.
    Provide infrastructure to expand the .tel domain.
    Let the tel expand.
    Let the mobile companies give away free tel pages to their customers.
    (by doing this you create a demand for .tel domains).

Create the best search engine for communication/contact information.
    Display advertising on your search results. (Just like other search engines do).

Still it is not too late.

++++[/size]

dialaroom08-20-2012 10:28 AM

@TELcp, @Blunderer

Of course you are right, I would go even further and scrap new templates, tel needs to be unique and look unique, but also needs to be instantly recognisable as such. As I've always said, one corporate image, for directories, one personal for individuals.

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)08-20-2012 12:59 PM

With the growing freemium products like About.ME, Flavors.ME, there is a market for social connection consolidators. TEL could be marketed as such an alternative on the personal side. But the various templates still need to be in place, since the freemiums offer this flexibility, especially at the premium paid level. You cannot compete with them by saying one size fits all. You have offer at least the minimum of any "competitor" and more.

However, social unification is not all what TEL offers. The excellent technology of TEL is lost to all but the technical, and even they don't get it. The personal market might be larger, but they mostly want free. The business market is smaller but more lucrative given the right message. TEL's underlying promise to business is it's simplicity, for both desktop and mobile. 

All the messages haven fallen on deaf ears.

Perhaps an ideal world would see Telco's giving away TEL's to the people, while selling businesses their TEL's as directory alternatives. Telco's competing with the Yellow Pages. On-line directory services at point of origin: the (smart) phone. There's an idea.

Mark

Simon G08-20-2012 01:13 PM

Quote:

dedicated search function of TelPages.

[size]
    still waiting for this, search within your tel once it fine and then the second time it brings up every result in telpages which includes alot of rubbish and out of date data. This is no good people rely on search functions all the time and if you dont get the right result or want secondary info you search again.[/size]

TELcp08-20-2012 01:38 PM

We should not get .me or any other web based TLDs involved with .tel.
    We should not even try to compare it with other TLDs.
    .tel has its own unique identity. And its own technology.
    Unfortunately it is being destroyed right now by group of people.

Other most important factor here is, .tel should offer ONLY what it is designed to offer.
    .tel goes nowhere if it tries to do otherwise.
    We have seen this during the last 2 years.

.tel as social media.....
    Yes, .tel should have its own "twitter like" social (communication) media.

.tel is for everybody.
    Should not isolate it for one community or group of communities.
    Promoting as such can do lot of damage to the TLD and lose faith by other groups (current and yet to explore).

.tel should ONLY do everything within the original theme "the new way to communicate".
    Functionality should be improved to achieve better results within the above theme.

Anything more than that, either within the .tel or from outside the .tel, will only destroy its unique identity.

I repeat, without this unique identity .tel goes nowhere.

boracay.tel08-20-2012 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon G (Post 25354)
    second time it brings up every result in telpages which includes alot of rubbish and out of date data. This is no good

[size]
    Justin said that would be corrected for mobiles.[/size]

TELcp08-20-2012 01:57 PM

Well as far as mobile is concerned .tel has no conflicts, apart from improving functionality.
    That's where the future is.

.tel is for communication.
    Will definitely do its part for communication now and for many years to come.

Should not worry too much about the desktop colours, background pix, templates etc.
    Therefore, marketing campaign of tel should not highlight these desktop features.
    Because, people will soon find out desktop has no meaning when it comes to telecommunication using .tel.

++++

TELcp08-20-2012 02:34 PM

@Telnic,

Consider forming another subsidiary to sell the original concept of the .tel (without ads, videos etc) with multiple sub domains under different packages.
    Lift the restrictions/throttling.
    Charge according to the bandwidth/transactions.

Allow multinational companies to have their own directories.
    Let the mobile companies to give away free tel page to each and every customer.

We will single handedly promote the .tel to more than 1 million willing customers (without charging them) worldwide.
    Or we will hand over you the required tel domains back to you. You can do the needful.
    We will tel you the targeted customers.

.tel will FLY.

++++

P.S. re: above statement promoting to more than 1 million worldwide, we need to publish only 3 NAPTR records on each page.
    1. mobile number
    2. email address
    3. link to another mobile (which they will be compelled to buy later on to publish their other contact details, geo location, links to 
    social media etc.

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)08-20-2012 03:41 PM

@TELCP 3 Naptr OK - this is the freemium model that flavors.me uses. Except naptr #3 should be link to another .TEL domain - encourages people to buy their own .tel. Of course this only works if Telnic can find such a Telco and of course the Telco has access to a Telpages brokerage to call by name.
    Mark

TELcp08-20-2012 03:45 PM

@Mark

I insist on NAPTR #3.
    It plays the most important part here.

If Telnic is interested, I shall explain the idea in detail.
    I don't want to write everything on a public forum.

++++

TELcp08-20-2012 04:10 PM

Well, I will be able to prove this method going to be successful.
    I can contact 1 million+ targeted customers by email (worldwide) without violating the CAN-SPAM act 2003.
    And I have the right tel domain for this purpose.
    (With that alone I hope I could generate 100,000 - 150,000 new regs).
    Once proved, Telnic can show results to telcos.
    This way all (Telnic, Telcos, domain investors, registrars, resellers, developers) will get benefited.

But all depends on what Telnic wants to do.
    Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

Lifting Up Empty Re: Lifting Up

Post by Telnic 2015-01-01, 2:59 pm

TELcp08-20-2012 04:51 PM

Airthmatic is so simple

Based on 3000 sub domains @ 100 records per sub domains and the average price tag for registration of a single .tel domain around $10.00, consider the following.

1) 1 million sub domains @ 3 records per sub domain - reg price per domain $100.00
    2) 2 million sub domains @ 3 records per sub domain - reg price per domain $200.00
    etc.

Sell to interested parties and mobile telcos.
    Telnic is the one who should initiate this as they have already shown us that they can create subsidiaries to market tel domains.

++++

boracay.tel08-20-2012 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TELcp (Post 25361)
    And I have the right tel domain for this purpose.
    (With that alone I hope I could generate 100,000 - 150,000 new regs).

[size]
    I'm going to bite...
    What's the right tel domain?[/size]

TELcp08-20-2012 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boracay.tel (Post 25364)
    I'm going to bite...
    What's the right tel domain?

[size]
    Disclosing it now not going to help anyone.
    However, if it is going to be a used, I won't be able to hide from others either.

:)[/size]

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)08-20-2012 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TELcp (Post 25365)
    However, if it is going to be a used, I won't be able to hide from others either.

[size]
    I hope it isnt telsurnames.tel - no branding value. Needs to be a short 2 letters
    Mark[/size]

TELcp08-20-2012 09:07 PM

@Mark

telsurnames is a different project.

boracay.tel08-21-2012 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TELcp (Post 25365)

[size]
    It would help me.
    It would help anybody who is deciding on whether to commit further massive time input to their .tel projects actually[/size]

TELcp08-21-2012 02:24 PM

@boracay.tel

The name of the domain itself is not going to make any major impact on such project.
    We might even use something similar to 123456.tel.(not ours).
    (However, at the end of the project, hopefully which will be successful, all the tel domains going to get some value. Some domains are going to be in demand, that's for sure.That's the time you will need to worry/think about your own tel portfolio).

What matters most is how we would be implementing the project, the target client base, how we will get the clients attracted to tel based "new way to communicate" etc.
    Results are not going to come on a silver platter.
    We will have to spend time (many human hours have already been spent preparing such projects), money and resources on the project.

Yes, we are prepared to go ahead, provided Telnic is going take that initiative.
    The time is running out.

We have not stopped looking around for other possible opportunities.
    This has to happen soon.

P.S. We do have a good collection of short/medium/long .tel domains for any project.

Current date/time is 2024-05-09, 12:31 pm