The .TEL Community on the .TEL Domain Forum!

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

Consolidated dreams

Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

Consolidated dreams Empty Consolidated dreams

Post by Telnic 2015-01-02, 2:55 am

Greg12-01-2009 08:29 AM

Consolidated dreams

I'm a recent .tel user and loving it so far. I've come up with sort of a personal wish list of future developments I feel would benefit the usability of .tel and the community at large.

I've seen some of these mentioned in older threads here, but since they are currently absent from the roadmap (http://telnic.org/community-roadmap.html), I'm listing them again. Hopefully gathering these in one thread will get a consolidated update from the TelNic folks and ideally land them somewhere on the roadmap.

1. CTH private keyword support: I want to show my home address to my family and friends, but not some distant business contact.

2. TelProxy OpenID delegation: This feature would allow one to use their .tel domain as their OpenID URI. Delegation enables the use of an external OpenID Provider (OP) and does not /require/ TelNic to be an OP themselves. This should just require modification of the TelProxy template to insert user-specified & tags in the section, or at least construct these tags given user-specified input such as their OP server URL, delegation target URI, and XRDS URL. Creating a new TXT RR semantic category (ie. ".toid"), accessible via the SOAP API, would be acceptable to store these user-specified attributes.

3. TelFriends OpenID Relying Party (RP): Most of my contacts already have and use an established OpenID. If TelFriends were an RP, I'd have a lot more people looking at the data I want them to see rather than complaining about its absence, or worse yet, silently losing interest.

4. TelProxy SPF TXT RR awareness: I'm aware I can set SPF parameters in a TXT RR via the SOAP API, however the result is confused with the TXT header and shows up in the HTTP view combined with my header text. I'd like to see an update to the TelProxy to filter SPF TXT RRs from display.

5. TelProxy localized number formatting: To make the HTTP view easier to parse by humans, I'd like to see localized formatting of numbers based on their country/area code. (ie. +1 xxx-xxx-xxxx, +852 xxxx xxxx, +86 (0)10 xxxx xxxx, +86 136 xxxx xxxx, etc) For someone who deals with people in multiple countries, this feature makes their .tel much more digestible by people who are not accustomed to dealing with international numbers.

6. TelProxy hCard microformatting: The vCard link is great, but hCard would make the HTML in the page more meaningful to both humans and computers (like GoogleBot) and enable a flexible, user-centric, choice of action through microformat browser plug-ins.

7. CERT RR support: I'm aware I can create a TXT RR owned by "_pka", but this is non-standard and many clients don't support this lookup type. The standard lookup type is a CERT RR (TYPE37, RFC4398) which would support OpenPGP, PKIX X.509 (for S/MIME) as well as other certificate formats/URLs. The SOAP API is certainly adequate for exclusive access to this RR.

8. OAuth: I'm looking forward to the explosion of 3rd party app integration once credential management issues are behind us.

9. TelProxy Google tools support: Both Webmaster Tools and Analytics require insertion of tags in the HTML. Webmaster Tools tags could be satisfied through a solution similar to that for item 1 above, as they are tags. Analytics requires tags, but a similar solution could still be used as well. (ie. TXT semantic categories whose attributes are drawn on to generate the necessary HTML tags)

10. SPF RR support: SPF TXT RRs were introduced as an interim implementation option. Problems could arise with so many TXT RRs being returned for a specific query. In the long-term SPF details would be better off in their own RR (TYPE99, RFC4408). This could also be a solution to item 3 above. (Note that the RFC states that BOTH TXT & SPF RRs SHOULD be present.)

11. DNSSEC support: As I understand this is quite a complex implementation, especially considering support for dynamic data such as status updates, I'll leave it to the TelNic team to comment generally on any plans for DNSSEC support.

Thanks for listening!

Greg12-01-2009 09:14 AM

Hey folks, just wanted to note that I've cross-posted this in the Telsters forum. (http://www.telsters.com/forum/viewto...3&p=3151#p3151)

Howard12-01-2009 11:31 AM

Greg - thanks very much for those suggestions, and as you say it's useful to have them grouped in a single place. I'll certainly discuss all of them with the development team to see what's feasible. A couple of initial questions:

1 - are there any other keywords other than address you feel should have privacy supported? I ask, because another solution could be to make an address record type

2 - in your point 9, should your reference be to point 2 as opposed to point 1?

Thanks, Howard

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)12-01-2009 11:52 AM

In reply to Greg's dreams, all good suggestions worthy of discussion (although I don't fully understand all of them) and hope Telnic supports some of these relatively soon especially OpenID/OAuth which was supposed to have been implementing by now. I agree there will be lots of 3rd party apps once that is in place and will greatly expand the use of .tel. To get local number formatting would be a huge visual improvement - not having spaces is very difficult when not doing the auotdial (most people). Additional Google tool tags would be a plus.
    Mark

Greg12-01-2009 03:08 PM

Thanks for the reply Howard. I'm very happy with how responsive you folks are to the community. You're doing a great job, and it makes it a pleasure to contribute!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Howard (Post 2953)
    1 - are there any other keywords other than address you feel should have privacy supported? I ask, because another solution could be to make an address record type

[size]
    Perhaps a Free Text item would be useful to some if you wanted to leave more personal notes for TelFriends consumption. I don't see much utility in keeping business details private and anyone among your TelFriends will likely already know your hobbies & interests so I think those are safe to exclude.

I've also heard others mention re-ordering of keywords, which would also be nice to add.

Quote:
    [/size]

Originally Posted by Howard (Post 2953)
    2 - in your point 9, should your reference be to point 2 as opposed to point 1?

[size]
    Yes, my apologies as I re-ordered the list at some point. Also point 10 should reference point 4, not 3.

Thanks again for listening. I look forward to the exciting future of .tel![/size]

Greg12-01-2009 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Kolb (Kprobe) (Post 2955)
    In reply to Greg's dreams, all good suggestions worthy of discussion (although I don't fully understand all of them)

[size]
    Thanks for the support Mark. In fact, some of these items were sparked by posts you've made in the past. Thanks again.

Were there any particular items I mentioned that could use more explanation? My post was getting rather long so I was trying to favor brevity over babble, but I'd be happy to provide my perspective on use cases where needed.[/size]

RonMunson12-01-2009 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg (Post 2948)
    I'm a recent .tel user and loving it so far. I've come up with sort of a personal wish list of future developments I feel would benefit the usability of .tel and the community at large....

[size]
    Excellent post Greg. Where are you based out of.

I love reading posts that give creative ideas to move the technology of dot tel to a higher level. I look forward to your future input.[/size]

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)12-01-2009 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg (Post 2964)
    Thanks for the support Mark. In fact, some of these items were sparked by posts you've made in the past. Thanks again.

Were there any particular items I mentioned that could use more explanation? My post was getting rather long so I was trying to favor brevity over babble, but I'd be happy to provide my perspective on use cases where needed.

[size]
    Hi Greg, Sure - SPF/CERT RR TXT records, what's that all about? Nice to see you here BTW.
    Thx
    Mark[/size]

Shahid12-01-2009 09:04 PM

Hello Greg,

Welcome to the forum, not that good with programing or understanding the other stuff but i liked the point

9. TelProxy Google tools support: Both Webmaster Tools and Analytics require insertion of tags in the HTML. Webmaster Tools tags could be satisfied through a solution similar to that for item 1 above, as they are tags. Analytics requires tags, but a similar solution could still be used as well. (ie. TXT semantic categories whose attributes are drawn on to generate the necessary HTML tags)

Webmaster Tools and Analytics are no doubt great tools and easy to use, we tried to talked about this before but was not sure if anything could be done, lets hope something on this works is don't on this, it will save alot of time logging into telstat and then trying to find Accurate rankings

nadya12-01-2009 11:33 PM

Quote:

I'm a recent .tel user and loving it so far. I've come up with sort of a personal wish list of future developments I feel would benefit the usability of .tel and the community at large.

[size]
    Hi Greg, we’re glad to get interesting feedback, please see my responses one by one:

Quote:
    [/size]

1. CTH private keyword support: I want to show my home address to my family and friends, but not some distant business contact.

[size]
    Storing addresses as encryptable data is on our radar, and we’ll keep it on our agenda, but it’s not on the short-term feature list.

Quote:
    [/size]

2. TelProxy OpenID delegation: This feature would allow one to use their .tel domain as their OpenID URI. Delegation enables the use of an external OpenID Provider (OP) and does not /require/ TelNic to be an OP themselves. This should just require modification of the TelProxy template to insert user-specified & tags in the section, or at least construct these tags given user-specified input such as their OP server URL, delegation target URI, and XRDS URL. Creating a new TXT RR semantic category (ie. ".toid"), accessible via the SOAP API, would be acceptable to store these user-specified attributes.

3. TelFriends OpenID Relying Party (RP): Most of my contacts already have and use an established OpenID. If TelFriends were an RP, I'd have a lot more people looking at the data I want them to see rather than complaining about its absence, or worse yet, silently losing interest.

[size]
    We are planning to support OpenAuth as well as OpenID as a provider (with our own implementation rather than delegation), but not as a relying party at this point. This technology is high on our priority list, but you understand this is a significant change so it’ll take time to figure out the best implementation and bring it to live.

Quote:
    [/size]

4. TelProxy SPF TXT RR awareness: I'm aware I can set SPF parameters in a TXT RR via the SOAP API, however the result is confused with the TXT header and shows up in the HTTP view combined with my header text. I'd like to see an update to the TelProxy to filter SPF TXT RRs from display.

[size]
    Yes, we’ re aware of this issue. The TXT record will most probably be changed to save the header in a specific format, while TXT with no specifics won’t be displayed on the proxy. This way, you can save SPF records for your email settings as well as being able to store any other generic TXT records without them being rendered. 

Quote:
    [/size]

5. TelProxy localized number formatting: To make the HTTP view easier to parse by humans, I'd like to see localized formatting of numbers based on their country/area code. (ie. +1 xxx-xxx-xxxx, +852 xxxx xxxx, +86 (0)10 xxxx xxxx, +86 136 xxxx xxxx, etc) For someone who deals with people in multiple countries, this feature makes their .tel much more digestible by people who are not accustomed to dealing with international numbers.

[size]
    If you mean rendering the phone number differently based on the viewer’s location, I don’t think it’s a good idea. These locations can go badly wrong, and people won’t be able to make a call. Plus, if you want to preserve “Click to call” functionality, the full number is a must for all those softphones, Skype, etc. If you’re in the States and only get local calls, you can “Disable validation check” and write your numbers in any format you wish. In other parts of the world country codes are more common so people will recognize them. 

Quote:
    [/size]

6. TelProxy hCard microformatting: The vCard link is great, but hCard would make the HTML in the page more meaningful to both humans and computers (like GoogleBot) and enable a flexible, user-centric, choice of action through microformat browser plug-ins.

[size]
    Yes, this is on our radar, although not the highest priority. We’ll look closer into this early next year, if all is well.

Quote:
    [/size]

7. CERT RR support: I'm aware I can create a TXT RR owned by "_pka", but this is non-standard and many clients don't support this lookup type. The standard lookup type is a CERT RR (TYPE37, RFC4398) which would support OpenPGP, PKIX X.509 (for S/MIME) as well as other certificate formats/URLs. The SOAP API is certainly adequate for exclusive access to this RR.

[size]
    Depending on your registrar’s setting, you may be able to store a CERT record on a .tel domain today. Try running SOAP storeRecord for this and tell us whether it worked. Registrars may allow the Generic record type to be published on their .tel domains.[/size]

nadya12-01-2009 11:33 PM

Quote:

8. OAuth: I'm looking forward to the explosion of 3rd party app integration once credential management issues are behind us.

[size]
    Me too.

Quote:
    [/size]

[size]
    We’ll look into this shortly. We wouldn’t necessarily want customer to edit HTML code, but if we could find a different solution to validate ownership of .tel domains with Google tools, this would certainly be beneficial. 

Quote:
    [/size]

10. SPF RR support: SPF TXT RRs were introduced as an interim implementation option. Problems could arise with so many TXT RRs being returned for a specific query. In the long-term SPF details would be better off in their own RR (TYPE99, RFC4408). This could also be a solution to item 3 above. (Note that the RFC states that BOTH TXT & SPF RRs SHOULD be present.)

[size]
    An SPF is a TXT record type and is supported. Once we update our systems not to display TXT as a text header, we should be fine. 

Quote:
    [/size]

11. DNSSEC support: As I understand this is quite a complex implementation, especially considering support for dynamic data such as status updates, I'll leave it to the TelNic team to comment generally on any plans for DNSSEC support.

[size]
    You are correct in saying it’s a complex implementation and it’s not in our short-term plan, although eventually this seems like the way to go.[/size]

Current date/time is 2024-05-19, 7:58 am