The .TEL Community on the .TEL Domain Forum!

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

Template management on subdomains

Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

Template management on subdomains Empty Template management on subdomains

Post by Telnic 2015-01-02, 4:41 am

TELcp03-24-2011 09:30 AM

Template management on subdomains

Some of the tel Owners using TELcp wish if they could change the colours of their domains on sub domain basis. May be some like multi-coloured pages!

Hopefully, Telnic may have an answer for this now or in the future.

Thanks.
    - TELcp

kiwihiker06-07-2011 06:11 AM

Have we heard whether we will be able to use different templates for different subfolders/pages within the same .tel domain? Assuming we may have, say, 5 templates to play with when developing sites for clients, I can reinforce my brand better when those templates can be used individually in the same domain.

Otherwise I'll need 5 domains, each with a specific template style, and then sub-develop from there. Dilutes my branding and distracts my clients...

tindaya06-07-2011 06:43 AM

And also in the map view , anyone knows how to put 2 domains, in the same map? And when will be aditional text in the box of the icon tel in the map ? and how to change the size of the map (only we can change the size of the window, but the size of the map is always the same)?

http://telnic.org/tools-website-integration.html

Aled06-07-2011 08:45 AM

tindaya, we are looking into how we can implement some of your suggestions regarding the map view. I shall respond on that thread when I have any news on that.

Kiwihiker and TelCP, there are no plans currently to enable different colours or templates in sub folders, but as always we note all suggestions for discussions on future potential developments.

tindaya06-07-2011 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aled (Post 15152)
    tindaya, we are looking into how we can implement some of your suggestions regarding the map view. I shall respond on that thread when I have any news on that.

[size]
    Thanks a lot. I think, by now, the map wiew can be one of the strongest tool of the dottel.[/size]

kiwihiker06-07-2011 10:50 AM

Thanks Aled - let me try another tack then. Can you at least advise whether it is at least technically possible for differentiation of templates in different subfolders?

One of the commercial objectives of a number of posters to the forums is to set-up/sell pages to businesses and individuals. For me personally, I want to procure a .tel domain for a client and then configure one of the hopefully soon-to-be-released new templates. I then want to be able to plug a mirror copy of that .tel domain in my own centralised .tel site (for cross-sell, SEO and advertising reasons). To make that plausible/possible, I would need my domain to allow sub-folders to have different templates to the parent (maybe the default template for a subfolder would be that of the immediate parent folder or root page of the .tel domain).

Understanding whether it is at least techcnially posible, or not, will guide my immediate busines plans. I don't want to wait 6, 12, 24 months to understand whether my idea is achievable or not in the short/medium term.

Thanks

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)06-07-2011 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aled (Post 15152)

[size]
    Aled, are you referring only to the embedded map or to visualizations apps in general?
    Mark[/size]

boracay.tel06-07-2011 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Kolb (Kprobe) (Post 15157)
    Aled, are you referring only to the embedded map or to visualizations apps in general?
    Mark

[size]
    Mark, he's talking about this thread here....Telnics hosted webmasters map tool: revisited http://telnic.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2060
    We are simply requesting it to be modified, even so slightly with added icon/logo and possibly a bit of heading text.

Quote:
    [/size]

Originally Posted by kiwihiker (Post 15155)
    Understanding whether it is at least techcnially posible, or not, will guide my immediate busines plans. I don't want to wait 6, 12, 24 months to understand whether my idea is achievable or not in the short/medium term.

Thanks

[size]
    This was asked for a very long time ago in regards to directories. One template theme for Navigation pages, with an alternative final "landing" page theme for the arrived at digital card of a business or person listed in that directory.
    I recall that using a second .tel domain was not practical as the breadcrumbs made no sense navigating back and forth .tel to .tel.

I vote for an "important topics revisited" thread??? 
    In any case kiwi, do a search on your idea, and throw the word "bunjie" into the string
    It's probably been discussed here, so that will hopefully save you time.
    Cheers[/size]

henri06-07-2011 08:08 PM

.tel domains are by design made to be for a single entity.
    Whether it's a person, company or directory, the whole domain is for a single entity. Therefore the layout is domain-specific, and there are no plans to change that.
    For those wanting to replicate a .tel domain's info and layout in a .tel directory, that is really not a good idea for many reasons, one of which is data/content duplication which never works in the long run.

kiwihiker06-08-2011 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by henri (Post 15166)
    .tel domains are by design made to be for a single entity.
    Whether it's a person, company or directory, the whole domain is for a single entity. Therefore the layout is domain-specific, and there are no plans to change that.

[size]
    That's what I wanted to know.[/size]

kiwihiker06-08-2011 04:56 AM

You're advising that the layout won't be configurable within sub-domains. OK (but somewhat disappointing).

Last question then - are colours also included in that statement? (i.e.we won't be able to change colours in subdomains?) Or is there potential to allow that

boracay.tel06-08-2011 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by henri (Post 15166)
    For those wanting to replicate a .tel domain's info and layout in a .tel directory, that is really not a good idea for many reasons, one of which is data/content duplication which never works in the long run.

[size]
    This would be the strongest argument so far against building an easily navigatable directory with a .tel

Duplication of data is a drawback, yes, but it's controllable. 3rd party tools are available to help. Design/structure your directory carefully initially, and use an offline database to categorize and sort. Re-uploading a fresh source of bulk data into a .tel can be done as needed with marks tool.

Nevertheless, the seo value, the use of dns for storing the data, the lightweight mobile proxy, are surely reasons enough to continue to use .tel as a directory. The ease of creating an additional new listing/entry...(ie A fast easy new immediate webpage per listing)....and so on and so on. 

Many of the current crop of re-registrations of dropped .tels are for directory wordings. So suited to or not, directories are going to be (or at least try to be) built on top of .tel templates.[/size]

henri06-08-2011 09:36 AM

If you really really want to duplicate data and have both the abc.directory.tel page and abc.tel, you just add a link to abc.tel for abc.directory.tel and keep the data in both places.

The issue here is that small directories would like to fully brand (custom CSS, not just logo) client pages as replacements to client .tel domains, but as they grow larger they notice that the real value is in the directory's brand itself and backpedal to the point where they want the directory to be consistent and the directory's brand by aligned with the whole .tel domain.

What we've seen happen for directories is that the directory owner would sell a "listing" within his brand, and if the client wants to customize the look and feel into his own brand, the directory owner would upsell a .tel to the client and link to it instead.

So when we looked at that behavior coupled with the .tel concept of a single brand encapsulated in a domain (personal, business or directory), and the significant search engine needs for authoritative information, we came to the conclusion that templates are domain-specific, just like friending (whether the old style or the newer much more straightforward version).

boracay.tel06-08-2011 10:48 AM

thats all good henri...

what about as simple as this. 
    a complete city.tel directory 
    (yellow theme for the business section, white theme for people section)

Simon G06-08-2011 03:33 PM

Quote:

The issue here is that small directories would like to fully brand (custom CSS, not just logo) client pages as replacements to client .tel domains, but as they grow larger they notice that the real value is in the directory's brand itself and backpedal to the point where they want the directory to be consistent and the directory's brand by aligned with the whole .tel domain.

[size]
    This will be to a certain level unneeded when one can group a number of .tels to be searched from within a directory. I know this was mentioned within another thread but are telnic still considering this?
    Ie searching within city.tel would allow you to also pull results from selected contacted businesses (ie those that have there own .tel and paid to be listed on your directory.)[/size]

Aled06-08-2011 05:35 PM

Yes, we are still looking at this, Simon.

Simon G06-08-2011 07:20 PM

Thankyou Aled.

kiwihiker06-09-2011 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boracay.tel (Post 15182)
    thats all good henri...

what about as simple as this. 
    a complete city.tel directory 
    (yellow theme for the business section, white theme for people section)

[size]
    Ah, nice one - yes, this is what I was alluding to. We have local print directories where certain types of indisutry/services have different colours (and that is a de-facto standard across all of the local directories). I want to mirror that.

So, will sub-folders be customisable at least from a colouring perspective?[/size]

Current date/time is 2024-05-15, 12:32 am