The .TEL Community on the .TEL Domain Forum!

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

Continued TelPages.com Problems

Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

Continued TelPages.com Problems Empty Continued TelPages.com Problems

Post by Telnic 2015-01-02, 7:44 am

telrific09-24-2010 02:02 PM

Continued TelPages.com Problems

We've just addressed the fact that TelPages.com needs work, but really, it gets worse ?

Previous concerns showed that result structure was the worst in the Business.

See Here: TelPages Results Structure

Now it seems that Relevance is getting worse ?

When the .TEL Search Engine Results were first questioned in the Landrush period, Kash and Henri established that the Search Engine would give highest relevance to an exact match .TEL Domain Name, and relevance precedent to the search term in the Domain Name, hyphen first.

Example: Search for "business" was equal to "business.tel", "my-business.tel", etc.

Things evolve, BUT

A DIRECT question was asked concerning ANYTHING given precedent based on content over domain name, with the answer being "The Domain Name would weight heaviest, it has to for the .TEL mission to be successful as advertised."

Example:

In a search for "Hamburgers" would "Jack-In-The-Box.tel" ever be given relevance over "Hamburgers.tel" just because "Jack-In-The-Box.tel" had "hamburgers" in the content ?

After much discussion on the Forum it was re-iterated that the Domain Name would be given precedent over content as that was the PRIMARY purpose of registering a .TEL domain name, with the Registrant desired name/term involved.

That is, Telnic wouldn't want to advertise get BEN.TEL for yourself, then have a Search Engine where BEN didn't show up.

WORSE YET, One wouldn't want to see Jack.tel show up before BenJones.tel either.

YET This is exactly what is happening.

CONTENT STUFFERS are getting precedent where virtually NO relevance is concerned.

Though it is of course a BETA version, and we know it's being worked on, BUT why does it get WORSE as people discover TelPages.com and think about Buying or Renewing ???

Example ( 1 of THOUSANDS you can find easily ):

Search "business" in TelPages.com

Recently, you would find at least a GENERAL relevance to the Search Terms as Kash and Henri Disclosed prior to Hundreds of Thousands of .TEL purchases.

Today, you can see that the CONTENT STUFFER "your-name.tel" takes the second position.

ARE YOU KIDDING ?

This alone is a reason for THOUSANDS of .TEL Registrants to DUMP their Names !

As I said, I am sure it's being worked on but REALLY ?

henri09-24-2010 02:51 PM

You cannot today compare TelPages results sets to Google/Bing result sets. TelPages result sets are sparse (millions vs billions), and therefore relevance calculations are different. Furthermore, I don't believe I ever said that the domain name would trump everything else and override all other parameters. Doing so would be very bad. In fact if you search for hamburgers right now on TelPages, you get as #1 hamburgers.tel which is for sale. And that's a bad result right there. So if anything, I'd like the relevance to take that into consideration, in the sense that there has to be a strong analysis of the content of a .tel which then tempers the exact matching of the domain.

H

telrific09-24-2010 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by henri (Post 11034)
    You cannot today compare TelPages results sets to Google/Bing result sets. TelPages result sets are sparse (millions vs billions), and therefore relevance calculations are different.

[size]
    The statement was result structure.

Being able to see the logo and structured information on the results page was/is the point of the graphic.

Quote:
    [/size]

Furthermore, I don't believe I ever said that the domain name would trump everything else and override all other parameters. Doing so would be very bad. In fact if you search for hamburgers right now on TelPages, you get as #1 hamburgers.tel which is for sale. And that's a bad result right there. So if anything, I'd like the relevance to take that into consideration, in the sense that there has to be a strong analysis of the content of a .tel which then tempers the exact matching of the domain.

[size]
    Then TelPages and .TEL is a BUST. NOT having hamburgers.tel no matter what would be very bad. Hamburgers being the result regardless of content is the defacto Sale Point #1 of .TEL as a Domain Name and the TOP 2 reasons for buying it.

YOU.tel ... the DOMAIN NAME

1. YOU.tel as a contact hub
    2. YOU.tel as the relevance in a Global Directory

ANYONE can get Henri.com and NOT get found in a directory, this was the SELLING POINT of .TEL, and it was asked and verified by multiple Telnic sources before purchases were made as well.

Kash was the one who said it would be used, and you said specifically it was a MAJOR factor, but not the only factor.

According to the "Business" search and the results in TelPages today, it is a NON factor.

You are arguing the Google principle that Justin Hayward of Telnic is IRRELEVANT as a .TEL in a search and that Justin Hayward of The Moody Blues is more Relevant, or MichaelJackson.tel content-stuffed accordingly is the BEST RESULT. We have Google for that sillyness.

TelPages and .TEL was suppose to serve ALL the Justin Haywards and Michael Jacksons of the world ... Guess NOT.

For Sale or Just a Single Telephone Number ... Might as well just have Henri.whatever, or whatever.whatever and work with Google.

Or is Justin.tel with Henri SPAMMED in it just to get a higher ranking for Henri the search term ....

Point is, ANYONE can manipulate content to score higher, .TEL CLAIMED to AT LEAST use the Domain as the MAJOR factor in TelPages versus Google style SEO.

This is the entire BASIS of .TEL and Kash and everyone said so including you ! 

You have MAJOR issues for Telnic if XYZ.tel DOMAIN NAME PURCHASED does not translate to relevance in TelPages.com search containing the term.

Surely you can see the MAJOR implications for the entire .TEL effort in these statements.

How does .TEL Domain Name Sales NOT translate to TelPages relevance ???

MAJOR issue ... and VERY bad results for Telnic is all I'm saying.

:confused:[/size]

AJV USA09-24-2010 06:29 PM

You are right Telrific, it is a travesty to have a directory not based upon the domain names.

Understand this and you understand why very simply -

1. "I" (do or do not) wish to be found.
    2. IF "I" wish to be found, the ability to be identified, or the "I" factor is what I register as a domain name (i.e. "I".tel) per the entire Telnic and .tel premise.
    3. TelPages directory must use the entire Telnic and .tel premise of the "i.tel" domain name as the "backbone" or it is a useless effort.

The inability of any "I" to properly identify themselves is not justification for removing the "backbone" and making the effort "spineless".

Henri's arguments are not justification for the present results.

No matter what the content is, it should never trump the 51% weight of the spine first.

Henri-Asseily.tel and/or HenriAsseily.tel is not even registered - No wonder TelPages is spineless.

:rolleyes:

telrific09-24-2010 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJV USA (Post 11045)
    You are right Telrific, it is a travesty to have a directory not based upon the domain names.

Understand this and you understand why very simply -

1. "I" (do or do not) wish to be found.
    2. IF "I" wish to be found, the ability to be identified, or the "I" factor is what I register as a domain name (i.e. "I".tel) per the entire Telnic and .tel premise.
    3. TelPages directory must use the entire Telnic and .tel premise of the "i.tel" domain name as the "backbone" or it is a useless effort.

The inability of any "I" to properly identify themselves is not justification for removing the "backbone" and making the effort "spineless".

Henri's arguments are not justification for the present results.

No matter what the content is, it should never trump the 51% weight of the spine first.

Henri-Asseily.tel and/or HenriAsseily.tel is not even registered - No wonder TelPages is spineless.

:rolleyes:

[size]
    You have put that VERY well, and I don't want Henri or anyone to take it personally, but
    when you put out an effort with an OBVIOUS spine, and that spine suddenly has little or no bearing, you are ASKING for MAJOR troubles.

It just doesn't make any sense at all to be that self-destructive, that's why I put "ARE YOU KIDDING ?"

No one could look at .TEL objectively and not struggle GREATLY with that disconnect.

(Especially those who made and confirmed the use of the spine PRIOR to General Availability)

It's what set .TEL and TelPages apart from ALL other search engines ! This is a TRAVESTY !

:mad:[/size]

henri09-24-2010 07:24 PM

Relax.

I have a hard time even understanding what you're saying. First, you state that the domain name is not important enough for relevance, and you give the example of a "hamburger" search. Well, right now it gives hamburger.tel as #1, which is exactly what you'd like to have. Then you go on saying that it is critical that the domain name always be the top result, whatever happens. Well in the case of hamburger.tel, it's a domain for sale that has absolutely ZERO value to the user (unless he's a domainer who wants to buy it).
    What I am saying is that whatever one may or may not believe, there is one constant: do what is best for your users. In the case of TelPages, of course if there is an exact domain match we should display it #1 (assuming that's what the user expects) but what if it is a domain for sale? What's the value there?

Sorry if I'm not answering all your points, they are so confusing that I don't know where to begin.

telrific09-24-2010 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by henri (Post 11047)
    Sorry if I'm not answering all your points, they are so confusing that I don't know where to begin.

[size]
    I have only ever stated one premise, and AJV USA realized it easily.

Let's try it this way:

To the Registrant you say: "You are relevant, buy a .TEL domain name and be relevant in TelPages as you Publish Your contact information where it can be found quickly and easily - YourName.tel is all you need !" You are suggesting that the Domain Name Purchase and a Directory will lead them to the Content they publish, regardless of what that content is. This is the BACKBONE of .TEL and TelPages (The Registrant), HOWEVER ...

To the Registrant you are doing: "You are relevant, buy a .TEL domain name and be relevant in TelPages as you Publish Your contact information where it can be found quickly and easily - YourName.tel is all you need !" (but once you do purchase the domain name, and once you do try to be found, it will likely be buried under results that have nothing to with someone trying to find YOU, but with someone trying to find CONTENT that we feel is most appropriate to serving NOT YOU, but actually any user and their voting system of content approval."

Did that at least make the point clearer ?

The Domain Name is supposed to be precedent relevance - Hamburgers.tel for the REGISTRANT use, regardless of content, This is not a bad result. This is important. So is HamburgersChicago.tel, HamburgersByHank.tel - Where "Hamburgers" in the domain name is NEVER trumped by a Domain Name without the BACKBONE until all registered BACKBONES are resulted first.

Jack-In-The-Box.tel should NEVER come up in a search for Hamburgers before ALL BACKBONES are served for the Registrant use as advertised.

If I am searching for an Individual named "Henri" or a Business called "something hamburgers" I should ALWAYS get a result that includes the search term in the BACKBONE - The Domain Name Registered first and published by all registrants.

Henri.tel
    HenriJones.tel

Hamburgers.tel
    HamburgersByHank.tel

This is the point of .TEL and TelPages, the BACKBONE of the Whole Effort !

Advanced Search is for content.

There are hundreds of Registrants who bought "Business" Backbone Domains because of what was advertised and because of what made .TEL different than Google "Forced Advanced Results" in the Search Engine.

Your-Name.tel should NEVER appear on the first page is all the whole point is.

If the Backbone is the Registrant, prove it in TelPages.

:)[/size]

spline09-24-2010 09:33 PM

Currently noone would buy a .tel if they searched .telpages and only saw this domain is for sale. .Tel looking like a ghosttown. 

If I search for a place to eat hamburgers in London the telpages I do not want to find searchresult:

1. Hamburgers.tel
    This domain is for sale.

2. London-hamburgers.tel
    This domain is for sale

etc

This would make me leave telpages and .tel

I would rather get:

Jackssonssteakhose.tel
    Best hamburgers in London.

Hamburgers.tel
    This domain is for sale.

However once hamburgers.tel is populated with relevant content.

Hamburgers.tel should end up first.

telrific09-25-2010 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spline (Post 11050)
    Currently noone would buy a .tel if they searched .telpages and only saw this domain is for sale. .Tel looking like a ghosttown. 

If I search for a place to eat hamburgers in London the telpages I do not want to find searchresult:

1. Hamburgers.tel
    This domain is for sale.

2. London-hamburgers.tel
    This domain is for sale

etc

This would make me leave telpages and .tel

I would rather get:

Jackssonssteakhose.tel
    Best hamburgers in London.

Hamburgers.tel
    This domain is for sale.

However once hamburgers.tel is populated with relevant content.

Hamburgers.tel should end up first.

[size]
    If I were trying to find Hamburgers in London I would be using the Advanced Search Engine - This is exactly what it was created for.

No matter what the results showed, I would find the one that suited me regardless of content, just like I do when I get Google results and websites that are for sale, or not.

There is no difference, and you do not stop using Google just because you find websites with content that doesn't suit you either !

By the way, it's not about users first, it's about Publishers first !

AJV USA09-25-2010 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by telrific (Post 11054)
    By the way, it's not about users first, it's about Publishers first !

[size]
    Right again Telrific, TelPages is supposed to serve the Registrant/Publisher first, then the "other" content seeker.

Like FaceBook, LinkedIn you're supposed to be able to find people by Name (Domain Name/Label) first. This supports the .tel premise of the Registrant/Publisher directory promotion first.

So, you.tel (backbone) should be the list of results first. Advanced/Local should 
    produce the Google style results that are content oriented. These results might disregard the domain name like the "your-name.tel" in the "business" search example you used.

( I think this is where Henri got confused, you were trying to use the TelPages result for "business" in your explanation. This looks like the Domain Name is bad (your-name.tel) and the Domain Name is good (hamburgers.tel) in your post. Maybe he wasn't
    looking at the search results for "business" to see why "your-name.tel" is bad for that search.)

If TelPages produces only a content based result, or a combination in one group of results, it is lost, this is true.

The answer is domain name first, content second - simple first, advanced/local second.

Two sets of results/algos are critical.

:o[/size]

telrific09-25-2010 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJV USA (Post 11055)
    TelPages is supposed to serve the Registrant/Publisher first, then the "other" content seeker.

Like FaceBook, LinkedIn you're supposed to be able to find people by Name (Domain Name/Label) first. This supports the .tel premise of the Registrant/Publisher directory promotion first.

[size]
    Bingo.

Quote:
    [/size]

( I think this is where Henri got confused, you were trying to use the TelPages result for "business" in your explanation. This looks like the Domain Name is bad (your-name.tel) and the Domain Name is good (hamburgers.tel) in your post. Maybe he wasn't
    looking at the search results for "business" to see why "your-name.tel" is bad for that search.)

[size]
    Yes, that would definitely cause confusion, sorry Henri.
    Kind adds to the whole point about .TEL/TelPages confusion(s) though too.

Quote:
    [/size]

If TelPages produces only a content based result, or a combination in one group of results, it is lost, this is true.

The answer is domain name first, content second - simple first, advanced/local second.

Two sets of results/algos are critical.

[size]
    True, this would be best.

IMHO it should still be together on the front page of the TelPages Search Engine.

As was stated in another post, simply put (Advanced/Local) under main Search button to drop down the Advanced/Local Search and "other" content results. This serves everyone, especially Telnic and it's premises/promises to the Registrant and User.

Advanced/Local (drops down, produces complex, "other content" results)

:cool:[/size]

AJV USA09-25-2010 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by telrific (Post 11056)
    IMHO it should still be together on the front page of the TelPages Search Engine.

As was stated in another post, simply put (Advanced/Local) under main Search button to drop down the Advanced/Local Search and "other" content results. This serves everyone, especially Telnic and it's premises/promises to the Registrant and User.

Advanced/Local (drops down, produces complex, "other content" results)

:cool:

[size]
    This definitely would solve the Registrant/User conundrum you started with this thread !

Another suggestion in the past was to simply put a radio button option for O Domain Search O Advanced Search

telrific09-25-2010 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJV USA (Post 11057)
    This definitely would solve the Registrant/User conundrum you started with this thread !

[size]
    To promote a "Facebook" or "LinkedIn" or "MySpace" or "Yellow/White Listing" of Contact Information 
    using a Domain Name as "One Address For Life" is a GREAT IDEA !!!! (And yes, it's much more, but not to the masses)

It's just a matter of time before it catches on .... REALLY !

But to DESTROY it by making the Directory just another Google "content engine" is WRONG !

Where's the "ADDRESSES FOR LIFE" Directory first ? With GOOD Results STRUCTURE ?

This was an opportunity for a TLD to Right a Wrong for ALL Registrants of Domain Names as well.

EVEN an opportunity to get people to ABANDON the "dot whatever else" for the YOU.tel

BUT you have to serve the Registrant first, then the User, even if together as suggested above !!!

This thread was started because of the "Abandonment of Registrants" trend.

Treating .TEL and TelPages like .COM and Google is why people are flying out the door.

It's not different, and what was different is getting more "un-different" and not Registrant Based ...

Abandoning the "BACKBONE" to ANY degree is a disaster for .TEL and TelPages.

Many Registrants were gone the minute Qwista and Jepaa showed this trend.

When the Official TelPages came out, it was shaky but affirmed the Registrants to some degree, and still many abandoned because it did not serve the Registrants well enough.

Those who are holding on for a BETTER TelPages see the Abandonment of the Registrant getting worse, not better - Hence this thread !

I only hope that the REALITY of the REGISTRANT first, like the Yellow/White Pages Books you Pick Up and use everyday is realized as the discerning factor in the abandonment trend for .TEL and TelPages.

This does not at all abandon the User, but these are Two VERY important distinctions !

AJV USA09-25-2010 04:15 PM

Wow, to quote you is to diminish your statements, well said.

Ideally:

1. Registrant is served ( Registration, Page, Directory Results )
    2. Content seeker is served ( Directory Results )

Even if 1,000,000 John Smith's exist for a results search, this must be so in some order serving them.

The Registration should be their ID in the BACKBONE (Domain Name/Label Re-iterated).
    The Page should be easy to populate/navigate/understand/enjoy
    The Results in TelPages should serve the BACKBONE first, other content second (Advanced/Local)
    The Results STRUCTURE should be just like Bing's "card" style structure in your graphic >> Here
    (I think Telnic can even do better than this !)

It may seem a ridiculous way to structure results and the effort, but anything else is much worse !

telrific09-25-2010 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJV USA (Post 11060)
    Ideally:

1. Registrant is served ( Registration, Page, Directory Results )
    2. Content seeker is served ( Directory Results )

[size]
    Point number 1 has been done poorly since .TEL launch.
    NEVER has the focus been on completing ALL point number 1 facets well for the Registrants.

Point number 2 has been done as a remedy to Point number 1.
    NEVER has the focus been on completing THE point number 2 facet well for the Users.

There has never been and will never be a situation where all Registrants are complete enough for all Users.
    Likewise, there will never be a situation where all Users are complete enough for all Registrants either.

Each of the above Points, 1 and 2, must be maximized separately, and together from both ends !

Going backwards, or getting worse on either Point/Facet has scared off FAR TOO MANY so far !!!

Time for a Recovery and Progress, not Self-Destruction by focusing on Self-Important Ideals of Content, etc. from 1 side only ![/size]

AJV USA09-27-2010 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by telrific (Post 11061)
    ... by focusing on Self-Important Ideals of Content, etc. from 1 side only !

[size]
    Yeah, Henri just told 200,000+ Registrants that Hamburgers.tel registered with content he doesn't like means that they are insignificant, a bad result, and a problem.

That'll get everyone running to Register !

:eek:[/size]

telrific09-27-2010 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJV USA (Post 11070)
    Yeah, Henri just told 200,000+ Registrants that Hamburgers.tel registered with content he doesn't like means that they are insignificant, a bad result, and a problem.

That'll get everyone running to Register !

:eek:

[size]
    Bingo.

Register a .COM and get into Google if you're Michael Jackson, you get:

- One Or Two Michael Jackson Domain Name Registrations
    - Thousands of Fan Pages about ONE or TWO Michael Jacksons in Google Results
    - Traffic Accordingly

Register a .TEL and get into TelPages if you're Michael Jackson, you SHOULD get:

- One Or Two THOUSAND Michael Jackson Domain Name Registrations
    - Thousands of MICHAEL JACKSON TelPages in some BACKBONE order (content irrelevant).
    - Traffic Accordingly

:cool:[/size]

AJV USA09-27-2010 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by telrific (Post 11058)
    Treating .TEL and TelPages like .COM and Google is why people are flying out the door.

[size]
    Sounds like you're next ???

:([/size]

telrific09-27-2010 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJV USA (Post 11072)
    Sounds like you're next ???

[size]
    I was continuing support by renewing and registering hundreds of .tel domain names on the word and faith of Kash and Henri, common sense of the effort, and the hope that eventually everyone would "see the light" of .TEL and TelPages as a better White/Yellow Pages for ALL Businesses and Individuals around the World ...

... Honestly, I have to say that I am NOT likely to continue WASTING time and money.

Perhaps like those who DROPPED along time ago, it is I who needed to "see the light" !

Registrants are just a PROBLEM anyway !

:mad:[/size]

AJV USA09-27-2010 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by henri (Post 11047)
    Relax.

What I am saying is that whatever one may or may not believe, there is one constant: do what is best for your users.

[size]
    Sorry to hear that.

Says it all right there, doesn't it !

Current date/time is 2024-05-14, 5:07 am