The .TEL Community on the .TEL Domain Forum!

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

NEW Smartphone proxy - iPhone feedback

Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

NEW Smartphone proxy - iPhone feedback Empty NEW Smartphone proxy - iPhone feedback

Post by Telnic 2015-01-02, 7:53 am

boracay.tel10-19-2010 03:04 AM

NEW Smartphone proxy - iPhone feedback

Looks fine for the most part. Very happy to finally see the logo and icons, and the displayed size is perfect. (note to all: iphone has a great zoom ability, by just double touching on your logo/photo, it magnifies them beautifully. All our icons and photos are created at 160x160. We are not concerned with the extra few kb's)

I am hopeful that there will be a choice of templates (retro??? anybody) in the not too distant future. ....so that existing heavily developed .tel sites can have a uniform look. (that is, matching of the desktop and iPad/tablet themes)

1. I have found a Unicode display error (where a Unicode character is part of the URL being pointed to) .the ASCII? (& #9990) is rendered instead of the actual symbol - that is, the telephone symbol "✆". See below at the "emergency" link

[url=http://gallery.me.com/boracaygirls/100009/Error Unicode/web.jpg]http://gallery.me.com/boracaygirls/1...nicode/web.jpg[/url]

2. Unlike the iPad proxy, links in this iphone mobile proxy are being treated differently, ie so, the possibility of creating an immediately useful web iphone APP has been dashed. All links immediately forced into a seperate new window, even the breadcrumb trail. Hoping this can be discussed...

3. Telads look great. Nicely formatted. Spacing etc. 

4. Search is great at the bottom, but currently the results are being delivered/rendered to the OLD proxy template??? 

And finally, It's fantastic to be able to flick through a-z listings in an instant, with the graphical icons displayed. Looking forward to hearing others initial opinions and feedback regards the iPhone proxy

Cheers

Aled10-19-2010 10:11 AM

Thanks for your kind comments boracay. With regards to your specific points:

1 - Yes, this is an issue we are aware of and are working to resolve

2 - The iPad actually uses the web proxy, so there will be some difference in behaviour. We shall, however, look into this. Do you know if the "old" version of the smarphone proxy also opened up links in a new window?

3 - Excellent

4 - It's not the old proxy template, but the Telpages proxy template. I agree that now the proxy template has been updated for smartphones the Telpages mobile version looks rather sparse on a smartphone. This is something we'll look to address in future updates

tony mayo10-20-2010 02:21 PM

Just to say well done Telnic. 
    It looks fantastic and will help create new interest in this project.

Aled10-21-2010 09:22 AM

boracay,

Just to let you know that the Unicode issue you raised has now been resolved. A phone symbol is now displayed when you page is viewed on an iPhone. You should be aware, however, that not all handsets will have the required characters to display the phone symbol you have used. A Nokia 97 I tested on for example, didn't have the symbol, so it just displayed a square. You may want to consider using something more standard.

If anyone sees any further issues please let us know.

Thanks,

Aled

dottel10-21-2010 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aled (Post 11245)
    boracay,

Just to let you know that the Unicode issue you raised has now been resolved. A phone symbol is now displayed when you page is viewed on an iPhone. You should be aware, however, that not all handsets will have the required characters to display the phone symbol you have used. A Nokia 97 I tested on for example, didn't have the symbol, so it just displayed a square. You may want to consider using something more standard.

If anyone sees any further issues please let us know.

Thanks,

Aled

[size]
    I see this ✆ in firefox so I would personally forget about all the mobiles out there
    The owner of the site should consider a more standard one?[/size]

boracay.tel10-21-2010 01:42 PM

Thanks for having it seen to.
    I'm comfortable with the STANDARD path I'm on. It's great to see telnic respond so quickly.
    Nothing to do with the phone symbol, this was a major oversight that affected the simplest of Unicode such as resume or rEsumE?
    Thanks again Aled for passing on to the powers at be, and without the time loss.
    Point 2. also, very important. It's an APP thing. I'm detailing the specifics...
    Thanks again

Simon G10-21-2010 10:01 PM

This looks great, really like the fact that these pages resolve quite quickly while looking good.

boracay.tel10-24-2010 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon G (Post 11255)
    This looks great, really like the fact that these pages resolve quite quickly while looking good.

[size]

The iPhone mobile proxy does indeed look great. It's very fast too. It's ALMOST perfect...
    It would be BRILLIANT if a small but very important change was made to how links are being handled. It's under the hood so to speak, so its entirely up to telnics powers at be to modify how the "target" window is referenced.

So much power is waiting to be unleashed here. 
    .tel as your very own customised APP. It's so close it's almost unbearable! 

iPadAPP.tel[/size]

RonMunson10-28-2010 04:42 AM

Well done Telnic. Looks great.

However, I'm curious, what was the lose in download speed? Do you have an update to the difference with downloading (data and speed difference) a dot tel over your average website stat comparison?

boracay.tel10-28-2010 04:48 AM

Progress being made! - .tel as APP on idevices

Works on ipod, ipad, and iphone. Some code is now being included in the proxy. ANY .tel now (even a subdomain so it seems) will have the associated logo/picture turned into a homepage ICON. It's getting closer to becoming a fully useable APP. (still need to be able to reference/upload a splash page, and still need to massage the "target" window)

Keep up the good work telnic!

nadya10-28-2010 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonMunson (Post 11325)
    Well done Telnic. Looks great.

However, I'm curious, what was the lose in download speed? Do you have an update to the difference with downloading (data and speed difference) a dot tel over your average website stat comparison?

[size]
    The previous stats and tendencies are in place. The general rule of thumb is: without any caching, smartphone is over 20x basic mobile, and desktop is over 6x smartphone.
    With caching (where caching is global across ALL .tel domains), all are insignificant, between 1k and 3k.[/size]

dottel.net10-28-2010 01:11 PM

hi - just tried viewing the new mobile proxy on a blackberry and the display is all jumbled. the geo title of the icon is shown at the top of the page along with a textual description of the location co-ordinates.

then all the folder/web links are displayed but not on seperate lines.

let me know if you'd like me to try and capture a photo and send it through.

Were the updates done with the iPhone in mind? Or should it have been applicable to other mobile devices?

thanks.

Aled10-28-2010 01:33 PM

The smartphone proxy should be viewable on all smartphones and it's specifically been tested on a Blackberry, so yes, please send a screenshot tocommunity@telnic.org please so that we can investigate fully. Can you also include your phone details (model, version, browser being used).

Thanks,

Aled

dottel.net10-28-2010 01:50 PM

done - let me know if you need any more info.

Cees10-28-2010 07:57 PM

dottel.net
    Just did a search on my iPhone "oxfordstreet.tel" and a hitherto, for me a least, was a Google Powered Dot Tel Search facility called "Tel Ref", is this one of your initiatives.

dottel.net10-28-2010 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cees (Post 11343)
    dottel.net
    Just did a search on my iPhone "oxfordstreet.tel" and a hitherto, for me a least, was a Google Powered Dot Tel Search facility called "Tel Ref", is this one of your initiatives.

[size]
    TelRef is built, managed & developed by the same folks that provide us with our development resources/management. If you're interested would be happy to put you in touch with them.[/size]

Cees10-29-2010 07:04 AM

Thanks dottel.net
    Not for the moment, but I'll certainly look at that again in the near future.

Simon G01-05-2011 11:39 PM

Was showing a .tel to someone at the weekend on a htc device (os: android I think) it was basic text/and few spaces between links so it was impossible to select the correct link. Are all android devices looking Like this? If so is there an eta for a fix. 
    Apologies did not get screenshot or details

Aled01-06-2011 09:15 AM

Hello Simon,

The Smartphone proxy should show on capable android devices and we test on a number of different ones. One of our senior testers actually has a HTC handset which shows the smartphone version as expected.

Do you know which network your friend was on and any more details on the device please so we can look into this?

Thanks,

Aled

Simon G01-06-2011 07:28 PM

Thanks Aled PM sent. Pleased to hear this is not the norm for non iphone/blackberry devices.
    Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

NEW Smartphone proxy - iPhone feedback Empty Re: NEW Smartphone proxy - iPhone feedback

Post by Telnic 2015-01-02, 7:53 am

Aled01-07-2011 12:28 PM

No problem Simon. If anyone else sees any similar issues on their smartphone, or anything unexpected then please let us know.

Current date/time is 2024-05-19, 1:51 am