The .TEL Community on the .TEL Domain Forum!

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

How one of the greatest innovations passes up a change and remains unused!

Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

How one of the greatest innovations passes up a change and remains unused! Empty How one of the greatest innovations passes up a change and remains unused!

Post by Telnic 2015-01-02, 8:37 am

Jens06-09-2011 10:00 PM

How one of the greatest innovations passes up a change and remains unused!

Obsolescent

mikeseaton06-09-2011 11:12 PM

Phase 2

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jens (Post 15205)
    Does this community have other opinions?
    Do you share my fear .tel will fail with high probability in case there is no improvement of the current situation?

[size]
    Hi Jens,

I understand your concern and frustration, but it is important to appreciate that what we have with .tel is only Phase 1 - it is Phase 2 with its ability to have a single contact point AUTOMATICALLY dial/email/Skype etc. using DNS lookups that will make .tel a success!

Telnic have stated that they are waiting for "critical mass" before they feel they can persuade the Telcos etc. to modify their systems to do the DNS lookups - the only danger I see currently is that with the huge number of drops the "critical mass" figure (whatever it is) will be too long in being reached, with the danger that .tel may get overtaken by other immediately available "dial-by-name" services.

The development of hardware, software and internet services has shown that "first mover advantage" can mean that an inferior product ends up dominating a marketplace.

IMO the move to Phase 2 may be necessary very soon - even without the ideal "critical mass" being achieved - the drops of premium names recently has been quite amazing.

I still believe in the future of .tel very strongly - but having invested heavily in .tel I will be a lot happier once Phase 2 is launched and the public then have a chance to "get the .tel idea".

Mike Seaton[/size]

mikeseaton06-09-2011 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jens (Post 15208)
    How you can be sure Telnic will ever reach critical mass?
    Are the Telcos even interested in such a solution?

[size]
    I guess those 2 questions are for Telnic to answer - hopefully a response will be forthcoming from them on this thread.

Mike Seaton[/size]

kiwihiker06-10-2011 01:33 AM

Jens - I think you communicate the frustrations of domain holders well. 

Its a bit of a chicken-and-egg argument - we won't build it until they come (being the critical mass argument from Telnic), but no-one is going to come unless something is built that attracts people. Whilst .tel may be techcnially great, it is of little value to the broader market that is concerned about presentation.

Personally, I can't be arsed developing my domains at this time because they look, frankly - well I won't be frank because I appreciate a lot of work has gone into what we have - but the current appearance detracts from what could be a great offering.

Give me the templates that were identified in the recent competition (and preferably some customisability of sub-domains such as colours and ideally templates). I can SELL the look-and-feel of the proposed templates to business people in my surrounding regional business districts, but I am not going to stand up in front of business groups if all I can show them is the existing template.

I have around 40-odd local small businesses that can't afford a full website (when factoring in all of the associated costs) that will have me build and manage .tel domains for them (along with cross-entries in Google Places and other free business directories for SEO) WHEN the new templates are there.

Then that will allow us to get more .tels sold, which increases interest, and builds into a virtuous cycle.

PLEASE - new templates as a priority over further technical whiz-bang development.

can06-10-2011 01:46 AM

I also worry about the greatest domain innovations defeated by unpredictable mass behaviour. Maybe telnic can think about a global strategy by introducing a big cooperation partner.
    .tel not only a normal domain,it is a web production.If we treat it as a domain,it will fail quicker than others.

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)06-10-2011 03:07 AM

Myself I wonder where all the development effort is going and taking so long to deliver anything of value? I don't think new templates or new CTH is the answer. I favour development of visual apps for tel domains - mobile and augmented reality - apps that can put tel on the map. I still believe tel is ideal for small business and no longer solely a point of real-time contact - that dream is gone. The power in Tel is for small business. There has to be a way for Telnic to get the word out to the huge small business community that doesn't have a web site, that .tel is their answer to greater discovery and being more competitive. So easy to use but no one is using it. I still am buying on the drops but focusing for local use of tels now. Large directories I am not a fan of as the impact will be local with .tel. and standard proxy cannot handle huge directories. I have asked Telnic to convert my on the map app into something more robust. Today, I hear that they are looking at visualization, sure hope that a lot of substantial effort goes there soon as I believe the answer is in going local. Local coupons, local deals, all in control of the .tel small business owner but with the knowledge that apps exist that will let people discover all these wonderful realtime deals and information that small biz provides locally.

Mark

boracay.tel06-10-2011 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Kolb (Kprobe) (Post 15215)
    Myself I wonder where all the development effort is going and taking so long to deliver anything of value? 

I have asked Telnic to convert my on the map app into something more robust. 

Mark

[size]
    Mark, hopefully your work can be included ASAP. 
    don't forget (options options options)[/size]

Cees06-10-2011 08:12 AM

Mark,
    RE your small business target, in the USA and I assume elsewhere, small business is actually very big business, in the US if one believes the stats it represents an unbelievable 99.7 % of all employer firms thus a pretty big target.

boracay.tel06-10-2011 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by can (Post 15212)
    Maybe telnic can think about a global strategy by introducing a big cooperation partner.
    .tel not only a normal domain,it is a web productio

[size]
    apple. 

200+ million mobile handsets out there, adding millions more every month
    everybody is getting a free email service, contacts, calendars etc etc. lots more

...but still missing an easy to setup website!

sigh.
    (i know, leave it alone)
    but hey, the facts are there.
    millions of mobile handsets.
    (and a thousand engineers to speed things along)[/size]

can06-10-2011 01:31 PM

I know it is very hot to set up open-platform by famous website. They are snatching customer to expand their sevices geometrically.

tindaya06-10-2011 01:46 PM

EVOLUTION SEARCH--->MAGIC MAP

To me, of all ideas of .tel that I have tested, what I like the best is http://telview.co/nearmenow.php of Mark. telview.co = MAGIC MAP . Must be joint the map, the search, the local coupon, the VoIP, ... in only one magic place. The owner have the control from the domain.tel, but get the results only from one place, easy to access.

Telpages, telfriends, Vcard, telcos, VoIP (no yet)... I think the people won´t use it. But the idea of telview.co is pefect because you use a map, a local map, coupons, searchs, and the owners of domains can change the coupons on line, or fine things. All must be in one magic place.

The search now is very poor, but if we change the actual search for a "MAGIC MAP" the people with say when open it "wouw this is magic"

Simon G06-10-2011 08:33 PM

My interest in .tel started as a domainer and is now as a potential enduser.
    I have dropped my domainer like purchases and am keeping only the domains which I would like to take further as an end user. 99% of these domains revolve around locations. In other tlds my position is the complete opposite keeping a domainer like collection of keywords the majority of which do not relate to locations but ecommerce and media.

Domains dropping do not worry me.
    My thoughts on this are that .tel will not have a thriving domain (end user) market for at the very least 3-6 years. As others have mentioned a high percentage of the drops currently are domains which one would struggle to sell in .info/biz/me. Other drops include short term investors/tasters dropping domains that they would not flip or have got bored with. I am sure there are also keywords dropping from people such as those that are on this forum that are trimming and refining and improving portfolios.

What does worry me as it does with the majority who posted into this thread is the fact that the technology; both the design templates and associated tech is not yet stable. I am sure there are quite a few people who are holding on for new templates prior to developing apps or entering on to work or even getting listings for directorys. As Jens says lots of ideas and in my view not to much in terms of financial developmental commitment. 
    Surely more money should be thrown into the pot for development? I am struggling to work what the short/mid term goal is, beyond getting as many .tels sold as possible. Part of it seems to be aimed at getting everyone on it and the other side seems to be aiming only for yellow page type directory companys to boost. While I can acknolodge I see this would boost registration I cant see this type of .tel use, pushing it to the innovative interactive "single point of contact" communication tool it has the potential to be.

In my opinion the telnic team that are infront of the public do a great job, listening and interacting with the public to ensure the ideas are listened to and where possible taken forward. However while I see the potential of .tel as fantastic, I see us on the top of an edge if things dont move forward quickly it will get over taken by other ideas concepts and tools and be to late.
    Telnic a question for you if I may. What are you guys waiting for is there no more money in the pot to get more developers in and re energise your innovation or is telnic trying to bootstrap untill a buyout?

Kash what is your outlook on this.

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)06-10-2011 08:41 PM

Good news is that Telnic is hiring two developers, additional ones I hope ie not replacing lost staff. Anyways I hope Telnic replies to this very important thread.

Mark

tindaya06-10-2011 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon G (Post 15233)
    99% of these domains revolve around locations. 
    Kash what is your outlook on this.

[size]
    In this moment is easy and perfect the App of Mark (telview) integrated in the domain.tel and for the mobile. This is by now, don´t need nothing else.
    Later will go to call by names, but later, when the comunications will be NGN and the mobile will be LTE (4G), all will be IPv6, but will be in 5 years. Forget the Telcos, they have another problems, and his roadmap are different. The same with Yellow pages, his problems are differents, and the roadmap is to the death.

In this moment, In geolocation and coupons online, Telnic can be very strong, so lets go to be the best in the world in geolocation 

Later, also will can pay with VISA (telchina??) Automatic change of call (phase 2)... But this, doesn´t work now. 
    In this moment to integrate the telview in the domain.tel must be very easy, and only depent of Telnic and MarK. 
    The rest, telfriend, VCard, search, Telpages... We don´t see very interesting, so we don´t transmit that to the rest, so nobody use it. We must put something that we are proud to transmit to the rest, but first we must be proud.
    When I saw the search, I said OK, when I saw the telpages, I said OK, When I saw the VCard I said OK ... But When I saw the idea of Mark I said"Wow this is genial" My neighbor fith, can say that sells an old book, and find it the neighbor first. This is a new concept of trade that can change the world, and everyone will want to have a domain.tel because can see all his local zone, and can be interactive with this, can put online publicity to the rest of the comunity.[/size]

Simon G06-10-2011 09:03 PM

Quote:

Good news is that Telnic is hiring two developers, additional ones I hope ie not replacing lost staff. Anyways I hope Telnic replies to this very important thread.

Mark 

[size]
    Great to news to hear[/size]

tindaya06-10-2011 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Kolb (Kprobe) (Post 15235)
    Good news is that Telnic is hiring two developers, additional ones I hope ie not replacing lost staff. Anyways I hope Telnic replies to this very important thread.

Mark

[size]
    Perfect. Telnic must be the leader, don´t depent of the rest (Telcos, Yellow pages, VoIP...). Telnic should go ahead of innovation, not behind[/size]

mikeseaton06-11-2011 12:35 AM

Just a dream?

Quote:

Originally Posted by boracay.tel (Post 15221)
    apple. 

200+ million mobile handsets out there, adding millions more every month
    everybody is getting a free email service, contacts, calendars etc etc. lots more

...but still missing an easy to setup website!

[size]
    Telnic do a deal with Apple to give a free .tel with every iPhone4 purchased between now and November 2011 (rumoured month of iPhone5 launch).

Apple is happy - this helps shift dealer stocks of iPhone4 prior to iPhone5 launch.

Telnic is happy - "critical mass" is reached which means they now have sufficient quantity of .tels registered to offer Telcos etc. a reason to modify their systems to do automatic DNS lookups so enabling Phase 2 to be launched.

Registrars are happy - greater prominence of .tels means more registrations and far less drops so more renewal fees.

Developers are happy - the greater number of .tels registered means it is financially worthwhile developing 3rd party .tel applications.

Investors are happy - they can at last see a reason to hang onto their .tels and not "lose the faith".

Just a dream? Mike Seaton[/size]

Cees06-11-2011 01:50 AM

[QUOTE=mikeseaton;15245]Telnic do a deal with Apple to give a free .tel with every iPhone4 purchased between now and November 2011 (rumoured month of iPhone5 launch).

Mike,
    Something along these lines, Apple Just handed Twitter the Keys to the iOS Kingdom 

http://techcrunch.com/2011/06/09/twitter-ios/

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)06-11-2011 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jens (Post 15248)
    The current 300.000 registrations are really nothing!

[size]
    Less than 50,000 are probably populated and the rest parked, so even at a 1 million regs, if no one uses or exposes .tel, no critical mass is achieved. I populate ever single one of my 100's of tels. If everyone did the same, maybe there would be more visibility. It's easy enough to do, so why are so many of you sitting on your empty tels? So much for any teeth in Telnic's AUP. BTW I'm writing a generic Facebook app that I hope can gain some visibility. Pop in some popular domain names and get some traction. Maybe some other folks have some initiatives too. I'll share mine soon.

Mark[/size]

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)06-11-2011 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jens (Post 15250)
    Because I intent to drop more than 95 % of them (like many other owners)!

After two years of burning money, I don't want to spend the renewal fees anymore!

Since nobody is willing to pay even 4 euro for my generic domains, I know the value of my .tel domains now.

[size]
    Yes, you did, but you are also still buying daily like many others, so a little content even an icon or message will the cause.

Mark[/size]
    Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

How one of the greatest innovations passes up a change and remains unused! Empty Re: How one of the greatest innovations passes up a change and remains unused!

boracay.tel06-11-2011 04:33 AM

Quote:

Mark

[size]
    great, hope these 2 engineers get up to speed asap.

Mark, how hard would it be to get your tools into the hands of telnic? surely just a polish up of your tools, draped in new colours... are good to go? you would seem to know as much technically about .tel especially from the end-user perspective (anybody disagree??), and telnic are about to spend US$100,000 per year to get these 2 engineers right?

Your tools polished up as telnics give immediate results.
    we are all investors by buying .tel domains.
    i wish some of my domain buys were going immediately/directly to creating the core/embedded tools 
    (and most important, the flexibility) that this community is screaming for. its the turn-around time thats so deflating[/size]

boracay.tel06-11-2011 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Kolb (Kprobe) (Post 15249)
    I populate ever single one of my 100's of tels. If everyone did the same, maybe there would be more visibility. 
    Mark

[size]
    ???

NewYork.tel
    LosAngeles.tel
    Chicago.tel
    Phoenix.tel
    Philadelphia.tel
    SanDiego.tel
    Texas.tel

all owned by the same person. doing absolutely zero to help the directories cause. 
    thanks for nothing[/size]

Kartoshka06-11-2011 02:00 PM

:-) A partnership? With whom? 
    Telnic is a line in the sand compared to the abovementioned blue chips players, who are all eager to slice their meaty cut of booming mobile and telecom evolution in every way, preferably without any partnerships. 

Behind the unified contacts / DNS directory patent (a.k.a intellectual property, innovation), what else do telnic have on offer?.. 

Telnic itself could easily become aquisition target for their pocket money, thus benefiting equally from support of blue chip powers and proper integration plus promotion. But what interest will drive such aquisition? Stats. Telnic is right about stats, and critical mass to be recognized by big players.

But how do you get stats out of thin air? Marketing, collaboration, and stimulus. This is now new.

mikeseaton06-11-2011 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jens (Post 15257)
    As Mike repeatedly states it in this forum: The potential of .tel lies in phase 2.

You can get an impression about the importance in this article:
    iMessage, Skype, Google Voice, and the death of the phone number

[size]
    Jens - excellent post - this is my biggest fear that developments will occur by major established players which produces a "call-by-name" solution that achieves market dominance whilst .tel waits for "critical mass" before getting Phase 2 launched.

It's always good in business to have a Plan B ready to activate if your Plan A is showing signs of faltering - I would like to think that Telnic has a Plan B in place so that if registrations continue to hover around 300,000 or so (see Total Registrations) there is still a way of getting Phase 2 launched before it is too late.

A response from Telnic to this thread and your previous thread would be appreciated by all.

Mike Seaton.[/size]

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)06-11-2011 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeseaton (Post 15260)
    A response from Telnic to this thread and your previous thread would be appreciated by all.

Mike Seaton.

[size]
    ...with a plan please.

Mark[/size]

Kartoshka06-11-2011 07:11 PM

Henri,

First, i have to express my appreciation to your involvement in this forum and telnic team responsiveness to it's users or customers in general.

On March 28, in reply to what is now commonly referred as "phase 2" post, 
    you said "...considering the significant interest we see out there, it's going in the right direction pretty quickly"

If this is not confidential, can you please disclose something of the latest?

TELcp06-12-2011 08:02 AM

Future Plans

To Telnic,

As third part app developers we would appreciate that all future plans in terms of development to CTH by Telnic be notified well in advance.

We need sufficient time to re design current apps (including other apps that are being developed) and modify accordingly without affecting their current users.

Otherwise, the time and money we have spent on all these projects during the last two years will be wasted and discourage future developers.

At present we live with this uncertainty as there is no guarantee on where the .tel is heading.to.

Regards

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)06-12-2011 12:10 PM

Advisory Board

Back in 2005, SMS.ac started up as social network to compete with MySpace. The goal was to build a community with mobile social apps as the foundation (ac=Always Connected). SMS.ac created a very unique platform for developers to create apps, starting with desktop first. I got involved as a developer and created many games and apps for SMS.ac, as did many other people. 

Because they believed that the developer community was instrumental in their success, they formed an advisory board of six key outside developers and I became a founding member. They flew us in to San Diego to meet their team and executives of about 100 people. We were using their platform with great success and we advised them of how the community wanted apps to evolve, including helping with their mobile plans. 

With this involvement, I started averaging $1000's a month from my apps. 

No longer feeling the need for our advice, they disbanded the advisory board after a year and changed their business model. Today the company is called FanBox, but they never pushed the original plan for mobile apps and has since dwindled into nothingness.

The key point here is that they knew initially that developer involvement was key to their success, but failed to capitalize on it.

What Telnic needs is an advisory board of developers, power users and others, as key partners in the success and growth of this TLD. Enough said.

Mark

tindaya06-12-2011 12:22 PM

"War of Ecosystems"

I bought the domains .tel looking this ecosystem, but only I have the 5% of what I was waiting, and I think that ecosystem must be made by Telnic (no apple, no micosoft, no google, no telcos). 

The problem with NOKIA is the same to Telnic, and remember the letter to employees from Nokia CEO Stephen Elop :
    "The battle of devices has now become a war of ecosystems, where ecosystems include not only the hardware and software of the device, but developers, applications, ecommerce, advertising, search, social applications, location-based services, unified communications and many other things. Our competitors aren't taking our market share with devices; they are taking our market share with an entire ecosystem. This means we're going to have to decide how we either build, catalyse or join an ecosystem."

tel4rent06-12-2011 06:46 PM

All,

Just want to say that lots of good things are said here. I truly hope that Telnic will listen.

Thanks guys for sharing.

Keeping Faith

dottel.net06-12-2011 08:27 PM

Quote:

Mark

[size]
    interesting to see these are contract positions vs permanent roles.
    if you're really looking for contractors, partnering up with a third party might be more efficient and get things going quicker. I'm sure there's others (including myself) with access to teams of developers (or even developers themselves) already familiar with the tech...[/size]

Kartoshka06-13-2011 09:06 AM

hope ie not replacing lost staff. .....

didn't you notice Nadya is not here lately?
    http://uk.linkedin.com/in/nadyamorozova

mikeseaton06-13-2011 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kartoshka (Post 15278)
    hope ie not replacing lost staff. .....

didn't you notice Nadya is not here lately?
    http://uk.linkedin.com/in/nadyamorozova

[size]
    It looks like Nadya has left Telnic - see http://management.telnic.tel and http://nadya.tel

One suggestion re staff recruitment - why not also advertise the positions on Telnic's own job page at http://jobs.telnic.tel ?

Mike Seaton[/size]

mikeseaton06-13-2011 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jens (Post 15270)
    So far Telnic succeeded only in convincing Mike; that's not enough!

[size]
    I'm convinced that Phase 2 is the Killer App that will change the face of communications for ever - what I'm not convinced about is that we can carry on waiting for this "critical mass" figure to happen before attempting to persuade Telcos to implement automatic DNS lookups.

The stark reality is that .tel appears to have plateaud around 300,000 registrations - even massive new regs from China would not help as western Telcos etc. would not benefit from this.

Why not give 50,000 free .tels away to each of the first 10 Telcos to implement automatic DNS lookups - it sounds a dramatic course of action but it would lead to many more new regs through greater .tel prominence and if the new .tel owners found them useful there would be a huge revenue boost at renewal time.

Maybe Telnic is negotiating with the Telcos right now and will surprise us shortly - I still believe in .tel strongly but I notice some other major investors are letting massively attractive highly commercial .tels drop rather than pay a $10 renewal fee.

I do hope Telnic respond to this thread - there is a lot riding on us all being confident enough to "keep the faith" for a bit longer until Phase 2 arrives.

Mike Seaton[/size]

Aled06-13-2011 01:29 PM

I've merged the two threads that were running as they were covering the same topic.

Aled06-13-2011 01:39 PM

Jens, we read and discuss everything that is put on the forum, be it a request, suggestion or criticism. All feedback is welcomed and filtered to the appropriate people/teams.

can06-13-2011 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jens (Post 15285)
    Why not give 10 million (or unlimited) free .tels away to Apple (or just all Telcos) for 1 year?
    After 1 year the owner can decide if he wants to extend his domain (for the regular price)?

(Of course existing customers has to continue to pay! So don't be afraid of losing profit!)

Can you imagine people are willing to register a .tel which is for free for one year? Could be, right?
    But .tels free of charge cannot be the only activity; this works only together with a high degree of popularity. So Telnic would need a partner anyway.

With some creative ideas you can push the registration numbers of .tel to levels no other TLD has ever seen!
    But this doesn't work with traditional domain business methods!

And I have doubts Telnic has the courage to risk too innovative business models!
    I guess Telnic rather has 300.000 paid .tel domains than 10.000.000 unpaid .tel domains for one year.

Telnic would be even afraid of having too many registrations because the workload would increase a lot. We have seen how long it takes until Telnic hires 2 new developers. Therefore I expect Telnic prefers a slow way of success instead of becoming popular too fast.

But that means we have to wait at least for a decade until we will see the success!

[size]
    I once suggested telnic can seperate the service into several business model. One kinds of model is for free that provide limited functions and pages or provide a platform for big company like apple with special template.[/size]

mikeseaton06-13-2011 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeseaton (Post 15282)
    One suggestion re staff recruitment - why not also advertise the positions on Telnic's own job page at http://jobs.telnic.tel ?

[size]
    A quick response by Telnic - for those who fancy working for them the job specifications are now downloadable from http://jobs.telnic.tel

Mike Seaton[/size]

Kartoshka06-13-2011 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by can (Post 15292)
    One kinds of model is for free that provide limited functions and pages or provide a platform for big company like apple with special template.

[size]
    +1 in short..

$10 for Domain (Remember Average Joe reaction: "Sorry, but What IS a 'Domain'?!") is unexplainably expensive for end user. But, perfectly fine for organizations, and companies, making real profits of it. Also fine for investors and speculators. 

But whom we are eager to embrace? It's a matter of priorities and strategy.

Before offering .tels to telco's customers, another job has to be done: promotion of .tel, either by telco or by it's inventor.
    And promotion usually costs something. 
    In telnic's case, It can be paid by free registrations for users, indeed. 
    But also for no doubt, telnic may consider getting better return on invested efforts, by different means; which, again, will always cost something.[/size]

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)06-13-2011 05:02 PM

Re giving tels away

Re giving tels away

Is it even possible since they are the registry and not a registrar, so I have a feeling that's not allowed directly? There is the ICANN fee to pay and the loss to registrars of their fee so it's not free to Telnic. If possible they'd have to team up with a registrar first.

Even though Google is giving .ca domains away for free, they must be paying Yola.ca for the rights.

So, Telnic is this even remotely possible? If so, it's a great idea to give them away for a year with free apps also and build up small business interest in them.

Mark
    Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

How one of the greatest innovations passes up a change and remains unused! Empty Re: How one of the greatest innovations passes up a change and remains unused!

mikeseaton06-13-2011 06:57 PM

Just checked what was left from yesterday 12 June drops - only a handful of pick-ups from a drop figure of 3,320 .tel domains in 1 day !

The bailout from .tel is getting worrying - IMO we need urgent action now to prevent Total Registrations stagnating.

Please can we have some response from Telnic on this forum to re-assure us that there is a plan to make sure Phase 2 happens without waiting for "critical mass" that may never be achieved before .tel is overtaken by other developments from major companies.

Thanks in anticipation.

Mike Seaton

Simon G06-13-2011 09:18 PM

Quote:

drop figure of 3,320 .tel domains in 1 day !

[size]
    Quite a few of these regs had no purpose other than people grabbing dictionary type .tels thinking they would have worth when in fact most are worthless in anything other than com, net, org[/size]

mikeseaton06-13-2011 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jens (Post 15305)
    Or will be there another technology which will make dottel unnecessary?

[size]
    That is what worries me - there are many competitors out there now with "dial-by-name" products that they are actively pushing to market.

NTTM is just one example - Apple, Google and Microsoft are all looking at the fairly obvious idea of using dial-by-name instead of dial-by-number in the same way that web sites are referenced by name but converted to IP addresses using DNS lookups.

I firmly believe in the .tel concept, and the fact that it is futureproof for any new form of electronic communication that comes to light (since it is built-in to the DNS core of the internet system), what concerns me is that the history of computing shows that "first mover advantage" can count for an awful lot - particularly if the company has very deep pockets like Apple, Google or Microsoft.

That's why the huge daily drops are a big concern - if Telnic end up waiting for "critical mass" of purchased domains before launching Phase 2 it may end up being too late if another "dial-by-name" product exists and is in people's consciousness, as products from Apple, Google and Microsoft tend to be!

So my view is that we either:

1. Generate "critical mass" by the kind of "giveaway" for 1-year that many have discussed here.
    Or
    2. Go for Phase 2 without "critical mass" and let Phase 2 itself generate it.

I just don't think we can continue without doing something that ensures Phase 2 is launched before the likes of Apple, Microsoft or Google produce (or buy-in from someone like NTTM) a "good-enough" dial-by-name solution that their millions of subscribers sign-up to (probably free of charge).

Mike Seaton[/size]

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)06-14-2011 01:12 AM

The Siter concept is quite simple: domain/personal name-to-phone-number relationship in a database, using the "it`s easier to remember a name than a number" concept.

Shouldn't be a problem for a dialing app to be created using .tel real-time data. All the information one needs is already in the DNS and with an app that internally searches Telpages for a company to get that info, there is no need for anyone to register their phone number with a Siter-like app. Create the tel for your company and the app becomes a rolodex.

If Henri is working on the next generation tel visualization app, it would be ideal to expand it into a multipurpose app that incorporates a Siter-like concept. A mass-appeal tel app is what we need. Henri, could you please make this a reality.

Mark

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)06-14-2011 01:19 AM

Just occured to me, isnt that what MyTel or Android Superbook supposed to do? I can't get new version to load on my Blackberry.

But a simple app with a search box [enter company here] and a call button would do the trick. Calls Telpages, finds matching companies, queries the DNS to get the phone Naptr records and displays them. If only one match, displays and message and dials the phone. Should be a piece of cake for a mobile developer.

Mark

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)06-14-2011 04:01 AM

Could resist a sloooow prototype but it calls TelPages and reads from the DNS to return phone plus some content.

Mark

boracay.tel06-14-2011 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Kolb (Kprobe) (Post 15311)
    a sloooow prototype

Mark

[size]
    I tried it on a few personal first name .tels I have. a little slow... (tried it on my iphone)
    problem is, telpages is returning more than 1 result, so i cant get it to dial yet automagically.

you got an example to test on my iphone?[/size]

boracay.tel06-14-2011 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeseaton (Post 15302)
    yesterday 12 June drops - only a handful of pick-ups 
    Mike Seaton

[size]
    I personally stopped picking up.
    am fence-sitting though on about 30...
    (btw, that I think a few of you here are too!)
    [/size]

TELcp06-14-2011 06:54 AM

Still believe in the tel if .......

What should be done in this hour of need is to implement a marketing strategy by Telnic to promote the .tel Technology to different communities. They should allocate sufficient funds and spend (here spending means "investing") it to promote the tel to various non governmental / non profitable organizations. Offer them free .tels (through a registrar/reseller) for their branches, clubhouses etc. Then their employees / members will at least come to know the existence of such a technology (.tel technology). Thereby you can multiply the promotions just by providing a free domain. Today, unfortunately, the .tel is only known to registrars, few domainers (some of them have already tasted and dumped what they though could be gold mines in terms of domain names), web administrators/ web masters of large commercial organizations (their management just bought the name to protect trademark and have no idea what to do with it.),few entrepreneurs (some of them are still in two minds) and few who understands the technical importance of the .tel technology in mobile communications.

We all must admit that the original concept of "a tel to every individual" is dead. Except for few individuals who are already using the tel. This is evident when you see the lists of daily dropping of individual names and keywords (except premium words with a commercial value or meaning). So, Telnic should change the marketing strategy according to the changes that are taking place at present. 

As the developer of TELcp and TELsub (Advertising management site to be launched soon) We still believe that .tel can be promoted as a "one tel for your office", "one tel for your family", "one tel for your club", "one tel for your city/town/village/neighbourhood", etc.So, think about the number of geonames, club houses, offices etc. To support those who believe in this concept we have decided to increase the number of page access for FREE accounts at www.telcp.com up to 1000 Unfortunately, due to limited funds, we are unable to offer more than that, FREE of charge. We are working on the upgrade right now. 

Also we have few plans to penetrate a large non governmental organization. If it is successful, the target is 25,000 to 34,000 domain names plus multiple promotion to millions of businessmen and professionals who would definitely access these tel domains. We do not have sufficient funds to offer FREE tels to this type of organizations. If we had we would have done so. If anyone can offer these names FREE of charge at least for a year or two, we will provide the FREE directory building tools powered by TELcp (subject to certain conditions though).

Hoping for the best for everyone who have invested in tel names.
    We have already invested in 1st June 'Short and numeric .tel domains' and looking forward to get few more of the same.We are still investing in the dropping tel names. And firmly believe that the tel will rise if the right communities are targeted.

Cheers!

boracay.tel06-14-2011 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TELcp (Post 15316)
    To support those who believe in this concept we have decided to increase the number of page access for FREE accounts at www.telcp.com up to 1000

Hoping for the best for everyone who have invested in tel names.

Cheers!

[size]
    thank you for listening and adjusting the telCP.
    I will immediately revisit trialing/testing this directories tool.

thats great news. 
    ps this tool would be amazing if it could be used on iphone.
    if anything could be done... please consider a bare minimums mobile LOGIN screen
    (that renders in a 320 wide format x "whatever" high)[/size]

Kartoshka06-14-2011 01:07 PM

http://www.telnic.org/downloads/GASh...ricDomains.pdf

Quote:

all combinations of digits and/or digit and hyphen strings that contain eight or more characters
    (for example, 12345678.tel or 123-5678.tel)

[size]
    reserving for telcos.....[/size]

mikeseaton06-14-2011 02:17 PM

Phase 1.5 ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Kolb (Kprobe) (Post 15311)
    Could resist a sloooow prototype but it calls TelPages and reads from the DNS to return phone plus some content.

[size]
    Mark, instead of using company name and then TelPages could your app take in the .tel domain name itself and then just autodial the first telephone number it finds - if it worked with subdomains as well this would allow multiple phone nos. for a single .tel e.g. where a company has several departments or offices

I know this is what Phase 2 will eventually do (without of course the web page) - but such an app available now would be a great way of demonstrating to everyone what .tel is really about.

If it gets used extensively you could of course monetise it with ads and call it Phase 1.5 !

What do you think?

Mike Seaton[/size]

dottel.net06-14-2011 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeseaton (Post 15331)
    take in the .tel domain name itself and then just autodial the first telephone number it finds - if it worked with subdomains as well this would allow multiple phone nos. for a single .tel e.g. where a company has several departments or offices

[size]
    that's easily do-able (and something we did initially when we built out our geo-locate tool - see http://nearherenow.tel or http://oxfordstreet.tel for working example). We stopped quite quickly however as traversing subdomains looking for a phone can take a while then you have to return the numbers and hope that's the one the user wanted. Easier solution was to use telpages search & return the telephone number (it's doing most of the indexing anyway!). Hopefully once the number is returned (after we get the location returned too - telnic please hurry!) then such a query will be easy and building fast apps that much easier.[/size]

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)06-14-2011 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeseaton (Post 15331)
    Mark, instead of using company name and then TelPages could your app take in the .tel domain name itself and then just autodial the first telephone number it finds - if it worked with subdomains as well this would allow multiple phone nos. for a single .tel e.g. where a company has several departments or offices

[size]
    The app could take in the domain name too, because it uses a "WHO" search internally. But to be efficient with subdomains, Telpages first needs to be updated to index NAPTR records (including phone numbers). This is something Telnic said they would do. Not sure when. 

Mark[/size]

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)06-14-2011 02:49 PM

Bottom line is apps need to be developed to take advantage of the power found in Telpages.
    Ideally these apps should be created by Telnic and allow us to white label them.

Before this can happen, Telpages and its API needs to ...
    1) index NAPTR records 
    2) return LOCATION data
    3) allow real-time update of domain data via API, eg when a coupon is added 

Telnic also needs to provide and host a superfast DNS to XML query function to allow additional apps to be developed.

Mark

dottel.net06-14-2011 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Kolb (Kprobe) (Post 15335)
    Bottom line is apps need to be developed to take advantage of the power found in Telpages.
    Ideally these apps should be created by Telnic and allow us to white label them.

Before this can happen, Telpages and its API needs to ...
    1) index NAPTR records 
    2) return LOCATION data
    3) allow real-time update of domain data via API, eg when a coupon is added 

Telnic also needs to provide and host a superfast DNS to XML query function to allow additional apps to be developed.

Mark

[size]
    second that.... hopefully 1 & 2 are getting closer...[/size]

GoBigCity06-14-2011 04:07 PM

The part that really absorbs is that we all have to sit here and speculate. My .tel sites look terrible and my hopes for a nice portfolio of sites that I manage are gone. I don't fault Telnic. There were never any guarantees. It was a good idea that simply did not work.

marimax06-24-2011 06:46 AM

My .tel sites look terrible - If they look terrible it is your own fault.
    I just found an example of a nice .tel site www.lottonumbers.tel
    It is a nice site with all necessary information for a lotto players around the world.
    Nice information .tel websites can be done if you put some effort into it so don't complain and get to work on your .tel websites

supercyberheroes06-24-2011 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marimax (Post 15701)
    My .tel sites look terrible - If they look terrible it is your own fault.
    I just found an example of a nice .tel site www.lottonumbers.tel
    It is a nice site with all necessary information for a lotto players around the world.
    Nice information .tel websites can be done if you put some effort into it so don't complain and get to work on your .tel websites

[size]
    Then you should check my site http://3dstore.tel

Regards[/size]

mikeseaton06-24-2011 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by supercyberheroes (Post 15710)
    Then you should check my site http://3dstore.tel

[size]
    Supercyberheroes - http://3dstore.tel is a nicely populated site with good money-making potential through both Amazon and AdSense - and targetting an up-and-coming product "3D".

I do have a couple of suggestions which I believe would enhance the site:

a) Change from the Black-on-Red text combination - used on the breadcrumbs and the text immediately below - this is not as easy to read as other colour combinations.

b) Change the Amazon links with their affiliate codes to url-redirect links - the thread http://telnic.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2015 covers this - this should lead to better clickthrough, looks better, and if you use the product name in the link this benefits your SEO..

Best wishes for success with http://3dstore.tel

Mike Seaton[/size]
    Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)06-24-2011 05:27 PM

@suercuberheroes: Yes, I too was so impressed by your site, especially the Amazon linking, that I already added it to teldomains.co examples page (hope you don't mind).

Mark

marimax06-24-2011 07:37 PM

Yes it is another good example (mind you I don't like the color combination blue and red) but it is
    those who are sitting on their domains and do nothing, that complain the most.
    Telnic should do this , do that, but what did they do in the meantime ?
    Did you at least print a bumper sticker with your .tel website name and put it on your car for all to see?
    I would hate to see the moment when I have to hire a web builder to populate my .tel domains

dottel.net06-24-2011 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marimax (Post 15738)
    Yes it is another good example (mind you I don't like the color combination blue and red)

[size]
    its the perfect color combo for 3d - blue & red glasses... now only if he could get it to look 3d when wearing glasses :p[/size]

supercyberheroes06-25-2011 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeseaton (Post 15725)
    Supercyberheroes - http://3dstore.tel is a nicely populated site with good money-making potential through both Amazon and AdSense - and targetting an up-and-coming product "3D".

I do have a couple of suggestions which I believe would enhance the site:

a) Change from the Black-on-Red text combination - used on the breadcrumbs and the text immediately below - this is not as easy to read as other colour combinations.

b) Change the Amazon links with their affiliate codes to url-redirect links - the thread http://telnic.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2015 covers this - this should lead to better clickthrough, looks better, and if you use the product name in the link this benefits your SEO..

Best wishes for success with http://3dstore.tel

Mike Seaton

[size]
    Thanks very much blue and red color is because of the 3D glasses colors, write on red background color is very difficult I did try diferents color but the most visible one was black then I left black color written.

Amazon shorter I did try many time to short the long link from amazon but for whatever the reason I could not short it thorugh X.CO so I cut the amazon link making sure that my affiliate code were there and it work selleng go thorugh.
    By I will try your last suggestions in the near future

Regards[/size]

supercyberheroes06-25-2011 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marimax (Post 15738)
    Yes it is another good example (mind you I don't like the color combination blue and red) but it is
    those who are sitting on their domains and do nothing, that complain the most.
    Telnic should do this , do that, but what did they do in the meantime ?
    Did you at least print a bumper sticker with your .tel website name and put it on your car for all to see?
    I would hate to see the moment when I have to hire a web builder to populate my .tel domains

[size]
    Thanks as I said to mikeseaton blue and red color is the 3D glasses combinations, I used to have a car and drive it but no anymore for now so, no stiker on my car.

Rgards[/size]

supercyberheroes06-25-2011 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dottel.net (Post 15739)
    its the perfect color combo for 3d - blue & red glasses... now only if he could get it to look 3d when wearing glasses :p

[size]
    I have recorded a lot video clip on 3D that will be link to youtube from my site 3dstore.tel and yes need to wear 3d glasses

Regards mate[/size]

supercyberheroes06-25-2011 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Kolb (Kprobe) (Post 15728)
    @suercuberheroes: Yes, I too was so impressed by your site, especially the Amazon linking, that I already added it to teldomains.co examplespage (hope you don't mind).

Mark

[size]
    Hi Mark I do not mind at all , I am happy you added my site into teldomains.co I was thinking to try do so anyway if I could. I already saw your site before, now I did submit 3dstore.tel to telnic site of the week I am waiting to see if I get it.

Yes at amazon affiliate is important be the affilate code in the link my first sold was at 3d comcoder and I got for that some £20 comission.

I always everyday check this forum and read most of the post and I know you are there helping people.

By the way your site K9.tel for social dogs is a very good idea I told my wife about this site the things is we do not have pet. Good luck wit this site.

I have a long document on my HD its about ideas I got one very good that everyone can get good extra money but I have been try many time to upload it on telnic forum, but always show me file fail to upload I have been try and try. Once I could upload my idea I am prety sure some people will like it.

Regards[/size]

Aled06-25-2011 07:22 AM

supercyberheroes - iut could be too long for the number of characters allowed in a post. Try splitting it up into sections to see if that works.

dottel.net06-25-2011 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by supercyberheroes (Post 15756)
    I have recorded a lot video clip on 3D that will be link to youtube from my site 3dstore.tel and yes need to wear 3d glasses

Regards mate

[size]
    cool - look forward to seeing them.

one other idea you may want to explore is use of the amazon widgets to provide users a richer experience and opportunity to purchase other items you may not have directly listed. the widgets can be 'skinned' to match your tel domain.
    For a working example see http://exercises.tel 
    When you go to http://fitness-dvds.exercises.tel/ and click either of the two links they take you to either the US or UK amazon widget with matching logo, site colors, etc to give the user the impression they are on the same 'site'

only downside of this is I've seen so far is the amazon widgets don't work too well on some mobile browsers.[/size]

supercyberheroes06-25-2011 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dottel.net (Post 15765)
    cool - look forward to seeing them.

one other idea you may want to explore is use of the amazon widgets to provide users a richer experience and opportunity to purchase other items you may not have directly listed. the widgets can be 'skinned' to match your tel domain.
    For a working example see http://exercises.tel 
    When you go to http://fitness-dvds.exercises.tel/ and click either of the two links they take you to either the US or UK amazon widget with matching logo, site colors, etc to give the user the impression they are on the same 'site'

only downside of this is I've seen so far is the amazon widgets don't work too well on some mobile browsers.

[size]
    Really good I do like it, only 1 question to make those amazon widgets do I need a sister site? when I click on UK or USA it link to dottelads.com but yes it look like exercises.tel and remember amazon only track your website for 24hrs after that people have to get back to your site and starting again otherwise you do not get commsiion for the sale.

Regards[/size]

supercyberheroes06-25-2011 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aled (Post 15761)
    supercyberheroes - iut could be too long for the number of characters allowed in a post. Try splitting it up into sections to see if that works.

[size]
    Thank very much at telnic information it says maximum allow on doc word is 488 KB, my doc is only 16KB but I will cut it to half to see if it work.

Regards[/size]

dottel.net06-25-2011 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by supercyberheroes (Post 15782)
    Really good I do like it, only 1 question to make those amazon widgets do I need a sister site? when I click on UK or USA it link to dottelads.com but yes it look like exercises.tel and remember amazon only track your website for 24hrs after that people have to get back to your site and starting again otherwise you do not get commsiion for the sale.

Regards

[size]
    Hi - nope, no need for a sister site, amazon hosts the widgets for you. The link you see to dottelads.com is only a tracking link used like a shortner so I can track clicks, usage, point it somewhere else should I need to do without changing published link etc.

You can simply create the widget, host it on amazon and link directly to it from your .tel

Let me know if you get stuck and I'll be happy to help walk you through it.[/size]

supercyberheroes06-25-2011 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dottel.net (Post 15784)
    Hi - nope, no need for a sister site, amazon hosts the widgets for you. The link you see to dottelads.com is only a tracking link used like a shortner so I can track clicks, usage, point it somewhere else should I need to do without changing published link etc.

You can simply create the widget, host it on amazon and link directly to it from your .tel

Let me know if you get stuck and I'll be happy to help walk you through it.

[size]
    Thanks mate its some thing that I will in the near future after kids summer holiday now I am working on supercyberheroes a book for children now in spanish, I am doing the translation into English with the help of my girl then it could be into Chinese (mandarin)

I have in my mind other site with amazon link, in the 90s I did a website I was affiliate to http://clickbank.com its only to dowload digital products and the commison is the best you could get from 20% up to 75% .

I have many differents Ideas that I would like to share one by one on this forum not all at once just leaks it.

Regards[/size]

dottel.net06-25-2011 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by supercyberheroes (Post 15785)
    Thanks mate its some thing that I will in the near future after kids summer holiday now I am working on supercyberheroes a book for children now in spanish, I am doing the translation into English with the help of my girl then it could be into Chinese (mandarin)

[size]
    look forward to hearing more about the book - best of luck![/size]

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 2024-05-12, 9:29 pm