The .TEL Community on the .TEL Domain Forum!

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

.tel Obstacles

Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

.tel Obstacles Empty .tel Obstacles

Post by Telnic 2015-01-02, 8:53 am

TELcp06-17-2011 07:55 AM

.tel Obstacles

.tel obstacles

During the last two years what we have noticed as the biggest obstacle to the expansion of .tel is none other than self imposed limitation on expansion of its own technology.
    The .tel, greatest pigeon of all pigeons cannot fly, because the wings are clipped.
    Let it have it's wings back. And let it fly the natural way.

Now look at registration stats of the greatest innovative tech based gTLD second to none in domain industry.
    Sunrise - 3rd December 2008
    General Availability - 23rd March 2009
    Total Registrations 01/June/2011 - 297,058 and shrinking (source hosterstats.com.
    Restrictions for registrations - none 
    Development opportunities for the domain - limited

Look at the ccTLD .co. It's nothing but just a domain name except for it's close resemblance to the big brother .com).
    Sunrise - 26th April 2010
    General Availability - 20th July 2010
    Total Registrations 02/June/2011 - 1,000,000+ (source internetretailer.com)
    Restrictions for registrations - none 
    Development opportunities for the domain - unlimited

Apply your (forum readers') simple arithmetic and logic.
    And ask yourself (forum readers) WHY the .tel can not fly.

Obstacles (few of them):

• uncertainity of Telnic's course of actions.
    • limitation on tel pages (3000 at present)
    • Connection throttling.
    • limited variations in presentation of the tel domain to the users.
    • Telnic's own involvement in developing the technology (Listening to various suggestions of the community. And unable to prioritize the most important requirements in order to compete with possible future competitors. Warning! Delays might allow other competitors to overtake .tel technology).
    • lack of a proper marketing strategy to penetrate markets where the .tel communication technology can be utilized in day to day business.

[size]
    Suggestions (Just like other forum readers, we have invested money and time in .tel domain names. But we are not experts in marketing strategies) :
    [/size]

• Clear all doubts, with regards to the future of the management of the registry. Speculations in the community!
    • All limitations on expansion of the .tel should be removed. We should appreciate Telnic's efforts in allowing upto 3000 subdomains and amending the AUP. It is understood that Telnic can not provide unlimitted subdomains. Why not encouraging (i.e. partnerships etc if allowed by ICANN regs) hosting companies to do the hosting on commercial basis. Unlimited subdomains mean unlimited opportunities.
    • Connection throttling - let the hosting companies handle it with bandwidth control.
    • Let anybody do their own thing in designing. You should only provide the platform for it.
    • Telnic should adhere to one policy. The problem is Telic listens to various suggestions and carries out changes accordingly. This is also a kind of uncertainty that troubles third party developers. Developers cannot plan anything as Telnic has their own untold plans and time table for development work. This is one of the reasons many people who purchased tel domains just sitting on them.
    • Today, some are waiting until new templates are available. Some are waiting until the new CTH is released. Some are waiting until their requests are implemented. This waiting cycle never ends. So why not Telnic put a stop to all these and let the .tel TLD be just like any other TLD and allow the .tel domain owners to do whatever they like. Telnic only needs to create a platform for others to host the .tel domains and do whatever they like.- Period!
    • Telnic should spend more time and resources on marketing of the .tel Domain.

[size]

Emerging threats to the .tel -
    With today's technology, it's not difficult to mimic .tel technology on a traditional website. Only thing that holds the .tel is it's innovative way of storing of data in the DNS. How long can it hold onto this? If the right decisions are not taken now for the future, the .tel registry will shrink very quickly and new player(s) will emerge very soon (yes, very soon).

- Sorry about the long post.[/size]

TELcp06-17-2011 08:45 AM

All above in a nutshell as follows:
    Lift all limitations and pave the way for competition (of development).

Then touching the magical mark of one million regs is not far away.

Aled06-17-2011 09:06 AM

Thank you for the well thought out suggestions, Telcp.

One point I don't understand, the "Let anybody do their own thing in designing". How would this work with the DNS storage? There is no website to design, just the web proxy interpretation of what is stored in the DNS, so a full carte blanche with regards to design isn't possible?

TELcp06-17-2011 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aled (Post 15457)
    Thank you for the well thought out suggestions, Telcp.

One point I don't understand, the "Let anybody do their own thing in designing". How would this work with the DNS storage? There is no website to design, just the web proxy interpretation of what is stored in the DNS, so a full carte blanche with regards to design isn't possible?

[size]
    @Aled

What I meant there was that anybody can do their own designing of "template" etc if an API is provided. If Telnic's developers can do it, why can't the others do it. Few months ago Telnic had a competition for designing of templates and some templates were selected for the .tel. But there are many in this forum who did not take part in the competition due to various reasons. Now, if there is an open platform (API) where anybody can do the own designing of templates, for instance, tel Owners do not have to wait until Telnic delivers these new products. And the designing will not be limited to few hundreds or few thousands of standard designs what Telnic or the hired company (independent company for template competition) thinks best. And why do we have to use the same template what others use?. So leave it for the open market (for free or for a fee - the user will decide it). There will be many unique templates for different tastes. So let it be like that.

I mentioned the "templates" here because lot of people in this community are waiting for those promised templates. 
    Same thing applies to so many other designing in the .tel; both cosmetically and technically.[/size]

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)06-17-2011 11:19 AM

@TelCP, good summary re the proxy although in my opinion there also needs to be new work done in the area of creating a customizable app. So why can't Telnic have several streams of development? We have yet to hear from Telnic re all the points recently made in the last week or so. 

Mark

boracay.tel06-17-2011 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Kolb (Kprobe) (Post 15463)
    We have yet to hear from Telnic re all the points 
    Mark

[size]
    I suggest to use the "subscribe to thread" forum tool at the top of EACH IMPORTANT THREAD.... and also, RATE it 5 stars.... 

1. wait a week, 2 weeks, whatever your urgency may allow for...
    2. re-check your "subscribed to threads" and 5 star threads
    3. re-raise the issue with telnic.

just my 2c[/size]

Aled06-17-2011 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Kolb (Kprobe) (Post 15463)
    @TelCP, good summary re the proxy although in my opinion there also needs to be new work done in the area of creating a customizable app. So why can't Telnic have several streams of development? We have yet to hear from Telnic re all the points recently made in the last week or so. 

Mark

[size]
    Mark, we listen to all the points made on the forum. If we have any specific questions or clarifications then we'll make them on the thread as I have done on this one. If we don't respond it doesn't mean that we haven't noted the request.[/size]

boracay.tel10-11-2011 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TELcp (Post 15458)
    I mentioned the "templates" here because lot of people in this community are waiting for those promised templates.

[size]
    ...so taking about a YEAR to get even JUST 1 template into the community. 
    reason given Telnic are testing and catering to old browsers????? 
    why???

i can find many many other articles, but the short answer is drop old browsers and move forward.

http://www.electronista.com/articles...compatibility/[/size]

Aled10-11-2011 08:16 AM

Boracay - who told you that the reason for any delay is browser compatability?

mikeseaton10-11-2011 03:05 PM

Attention - Interest - Desire - Action

New templates - great, improved search facilities - useful, API - yes please !

But none of this really matters unless .tel can crack parts 1 & 2 of the 4-part AIDA marketing technique - Attention, Interest, Desire, Action.

When Steve Jobs wanted to bring his new computer, the Apple Macintosh, to the world's attention he did a major video advert in the Superbowl break.

Hundreds of millions were watching the Superbowl, liked the new Apple computer, and bought into the whole Apple idea in such a big way that Apple is now the second largest company (not computer, but all industries) in the world !

We really do need a big marketing drive to get .tel noticed - if Telnic can't afford to do this then maybe a partnership with one of the major players (Apple, Facebook, Google, Microsoft, Skype, etc.) will allow this to happen.

Please let's stop kidding ourselves that the new templates etc. are suddenly going to solve everything - just do the litmus test that I have tried - go into a mobile phone shop, discuss a new smartphone contract, ask if they will include a .tel in the contract and see their reaction as they wonder what on earth you are talking about !

Without Attention & Interest there will be no real Desire & Action.

I still believe in the .tel concept - but I also know that time is running out very rapidly for "Joe Public" to take action and purchase .tels in the millions necessary for success.

I really hope that a deal can be done with a major internet player so that .tel can finally hit the big time.

Keeping The Faith - For The Moment !

Mike Seaton

Simon G10-11-2011 03:29 PM

Completely agree with Mike,
    The new templates will be ideal for visual presentation of .tel data but they will be of no use with out the correct marketing behind them. 
    If it was a choice between effective marketing or new templates then I would choose the marketing. I am slightly hoping that the marketing is being held back untill the new templates are released and tested.

Aled10-11-2011 04:21 PM

Jens - that was a rugby reference and nothing to do with Telnic. I was following up to Blunderer's comments on the rugby world cup that is currently taking place in New Zealand, and in which my team, Wales, have exceeded every expectation in reaching the same-final. I do, however, apologise for any confusion and shall remove the comment now so as not to create any further confusion.

Blunderer10-11-2011 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jens (Post 18219)
    @Aled

Okay, sorry for my misunderstanding!

[size]
    Rugby is a great sport for relaxing you, Jens. I can recommend watching the games next Saturday and Sunday. Any concerns I may have about not already having made a fortune through my investment in .tel domains is pushed aside by my anxiety that Les Bleus might qualify for the the World Cup Final.[/size]

Current date/time is 2024-05-19, 2:20 am