The .TEL Community on the .TEL Domain Forum!

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

.tel for City/Town - Geo Directory Explained

Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

.tel for City/Town - Geo Directory Explained Empty .tel for City/Town - Geo Directory Explained

Post by Telnic 2015-01-03, 7:12 am

TELcp07-09-2011 08:39 AM

.tel for City/Town - Geo Directory Explained

Building a .tel directory for every city, town or village is very simple.

"Register your city/town/village name now, before someone else grabs it!"
    [size]

You can start building your geo directory with a limit of approximately 2975 premium tel pages (leaving 25 tel pages for categories) based on the Telnic's limit on sub domains (which is 3000 at present).

Following is an example how to build a .tel directory with 5 categories (you can increase this according to your needs)

Step 1 - 

Create a directory tree with 5 categories as follows:
    bakeries.mytown.tel
    boutiques.mytown.tel
    caterers.mytown.tel
    dentists.mytown.tel
    groceries.mytown.tel
    - these are the "links to folders" going to be visible on main page -

note: It's better not to have too many categories on the main page, 25-30 is advisable (again its up to you anyway).

Step 2 -

Then keep on adding anything (names of business/shop etc) you want as follows:
    (IMPORTANT! When you use the CTH to create folders, there is checkbox labeled "Create a link to this folder". If you check this the folder you create will be visible on the telpage. But, remember that you cannot reverse this using the CTH. However, you can hide or display this newly created folder by using TELcp at www.telcp.com.)

bakery.mytown.tel - (to be listed under the premium name for category "bakeries")
    greengrocery.mytown.tel - (to be listed under catergory "groceries")
    thedentist.mytown.tel - (to be listed under catergory "dentists")
    doughnuts.mytown.tel - (to be listed under category "bakeries")
    partysupply.mytown.tel - (to be listed under category "caterers")
    partydresses.mytown.tel - (to be listed under category "boutiques")
    - you can create up to about 2975 sub domains like this -

note: This way you can have a nice n short address for your .tel page, And its the one that .tel page user will display on the namecard/bizcard or in the letterhead. Easy to remember. Biz name + Name of city+town+village .tel.

note2: If you do not wish to use the services of TELcp at www.telcp.com, then you must note down the list of sub domains and their URLs. And make sure that you leave the checkbox labelled "Create a link to this folder" blank.

Step 3 -

Now you must select the telpages you created under Step 2 and add tem as "Contact Information" under the categories you have created under Step 1.

note: Once again remember there is limit for the number of records per page (which is 100 and it includes images, text ads etc).

Step 4 -

Now, if you use TELcp at www.telcp.com, select the root domain and "Hide Folder Link"" by selecting "Manage Folder Links" on the popup menu.

If you followed note2 of Step 2 (that means you are not using TELcp), you do not have to do anything because those folder links are not visible from the right beginning.

- That's it.

The idea is to provide each telpage user a unique identity in their own city/town/village.
    You can start this type of a geo directory small and grow gradually. Even if you charge US$5 a page you will get 5x2975. But this will not happen by magic. 

"Check here if the city/town/village you live is still available. If available register it now, before its too late !"

- Cheers!

P.S.
    [/size]

TELcp07-09-2011 08:56 AM

common categories

If you guys like this idea then we all can get together and create a nice looking set of category names to be displayed on the main page. Then it will be a kind of unique identity for the .tel based geo directory. However, this (the names of categories) will vary from country to country. Still, its better to have a common identity.

Others may be having better ideas than this. You can spell it out here.

- Cheers!

TELcp07-09-2011 10:39 AM

Better SEO approach and Better Presentation

Poorly constructed URL of a .tel page:
    [size]

tommys-furniture.furniture.shopping.mytown.tel

[/size]
    Corrected URL for better SEO and better presentation:
    [size]

tommys.mytown.tel

[/size]
    How to Correct ....
    [size]
    In order to achieve a corrected URL with sub categories, create folders as follows:

1 - create "shopping" folder under mytown.tel and leave folder links "visible" on the main page
    2 - create "furniture" folder under shopping.mytown.tel - result is furniture.shopping.mytown.tel
    3 - create "tommys" under mytown.tel and DO NOT make it visible on the main page- result is tommys.mytown.tel (hidden)
    4 - Now go to furniture.shopping.mytown.tel and add "tommys.mytown.tel" as a "Contact information" select "Go to a .tel"

End result is the new owner of "Tommy's Furniture" will have a nice and short id for the bizcard - tommys.leeds.teltommys.fontana.tel etc

Hope this helps to understand our directory building method for the .tel[/size]

dialaroom07-09-2011 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TELcp (Post 16156)
    Poorly constructed URL of a .tel page:
    [size]

tommys-furniture.furniture.shoping.mytown.tel

[/size]
    Corrected URL for better SEO and better presentation:
    [size]

tommys.mytown.tel

[/size]
    How to Correct ....
    [size]
    In order to achieve a corrected URL with sub categories, create folders as follows:

1 - create "shopping" folder under mytown.tel and leave folder links "visible" on the main page
    2 - create "furniture" folder under shopping.mytown.tel - result is furniture.shopping.mytown.tel
    3 - create "tommys" under mytown.tel and DO NOT make it visible on the main page- result is tommys.mytown.tel (hidden)
    4 - Now go to furniture.shopping.mytown.tel and add "tommys.mytown.tel" as a "Contact information" select "Go to a .tel"

End result is the new owner of "Tommy's Furniture" will have a nice and short id for the bizcard - tommys.leeds.tel,tommys.fontana.tel etc

Hope this helps to understand our directory building method for the .tel

[/size]

[size]
    Definitely the best way to achieve better urls. Just a word of caution when doing this for large directories, unless you have a really fast computer with a ton of ram and a lightening processor, a thousand or so folders at route level can take an age to load in the Telnic Control panel. 

So be prepared for this. I have over a thousand in taxinumbers.tel and use an alternative method of populating as it takes so long. But there are some things you can only do from the CTH. However, it's still worth it, to achieve great looking urls.[/size]

boracay.tel07-09-2011 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dialaroom (Post 16157)
    unless you have a really fast computer with a ton of ram and a lightening processor, a thousand or so folders at route level can take an age to load in the Telnic Control panel..

[size]
    exactly.
    the CTH is a deadset bomb for building large directories at ROOT level.
    get a blazingly fast browser/java machine before you even think about trying this.

...and put a LOT of thought into how you will later reference/group your data. It will be really really important when you come to use Henri's awesome group mapping tool. this is where "short" url's are a necessity.

so much to share...
    no time as yet.[/size]

dialaroom07-09-2011 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boracay.tel (Post 16158)
    exactly.
    get a blazingly fast browser/java machine before you even think about trying this.

...and put a LOT of thought into how you will later reference/group your data. It will be really really important when you come to use Henri's awesome group mapping tool. this is where "short" url's are a necessity.

so much to share...
    no time as yet.

[size]

I have found Opera to be one of the quickest of the popular browsers for the task, but there is probably a quicker trimmed down one out there.[/size]

dottel.net07-09-2011 04:38 PM

good thread - but bear in mind using this strategy means the inbuilt breadcrumbs won't work and you'll need to rely on your user using the browser back button to go back to the previous page.

i.e. shopname.shopping.city.tel when viewing shopname the breadcrumbs allow going back to the shopping listing

in the proposed strategy when you jump to shopname.city.tel there are no breadcrumbs and only way back is the browser back button

one other point, i've personally experienced better traffic by going after the long tail seo keyword rich subdomains vs the shorter cleaner subdomain names.

Blunderer07-09-2011 04:41 PM

@TELcp,

have you built a geo directory that we could have a look at please?

marimax07-09-2011 05:52 PM

No way Jose
    Instead of having for example:
    restaurants.miami.tel
    doctors.miami.tel
    I would rather register:
    miamirestaurants.tel
    miamidoctors.tel and so on
    It cost only $10 but looks so much better and clear

dutchstreetdog07-10-2011 10:00 AM

Good Good Good post Telcp

Super Super Super good post Telcp

TELcp07-11-2011 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dialaroom (Post 16157)
    ..... Just a word of caution when doing this for large directories, unless you have a really fast computer with a ton of ram and a lightening processor, a thousand or so folders at route level can take an age to load in the Telnic Control panel..

[size]
    Quote:
    [/size]

Originally Posted by boracay.tel (Post 16158)
    get a blazingly fast browser/java machine before you even think about trying this......

[size]

Understand your concerns.
    Well, we realized this difficulty in the begining of Q3 in 2009.
    So, we decided to overcome this difficulty and few others at CTH when planning to design TELcp.
    As a result TELcp powered solutions will not encounter this problem.

Quote:
    [/size]

Originally Posted by dottel.net (Post 16160)
    good thread - but bear in mind using this strategy means the inbuilt breadcrumbs won't work and you'll need to rely on your user using the browser back button to go back to the previous page.

[size]
    Yes, you are correct.
    But we believe that losing of breadcrumbs for navigation is not a problem for mobile phone users as most of them use back/fwd buttons as a habit. Pc users can use the "Back" button of the browser.
    However, at he end of the day it is the mobile user who will dominate the .tel usage.

Thanks for the feedback. It encourages us.

For the benefit of those who would like to compare good and bad sides of our method please see below:

Advantages of having short tel page URLs:
    [/size]

• Nice and Short identity for the page user. Unique identity similar to an email address.
    • It can be printed on a business visitor card, because it is short and fits in.
    • It can be printed on a letterhead, because it is short and easy to remember.
    • It can be printed at the bottom of an email message, again because it is easy to remember.
    • It can be displayed on a "info window" of map markers, because it is short and fits in.

[size]

Disadvantages of this method to achieve short URLs:
    [/size]

• CTH loading is very slow when there is a large number of folders under the ROOT domain.
    • Inbuilt breadcrumbs are no longer visiuble when navigating with short URL links introduced by our method. As a result end user has to use the "Back" button of the PC or Phone.

[size]

Solutions to overcome above disadvantages:
    [/size]

• We recommend to use TELcp powered www.telcp.com or a similar method to bypass CTH if you need to create large number of folders under root domain.
    • Losing of breadcrumbs for navigation is not a problem for mobile phone users as most of them use back/fwd buttons as a habit. Pc users can either use the "Back" button of the browser.

[size]

Link to demo tel domain - www.mytown.tel
    Link to - "How create a tel domain like mytown.tel"

Cheers ![/size]

tony mayo07-11-2011 04:17 PM

Great work TELcp.
    I have been doing something similar here with my directories and with lots of success, too.
    I will study your structures further to see how I can improve when I move onto other city directories.

marimax07-13-2011 04:20 AM

What do you think of the one I found www.mylondon.tel ?

TELcp07-13-2011 06:57 AM

Please note that the name of the town "mytown" in our sample directory is fictitious and is used in place of a real name of a "town", for demonstration purpose only.

An ideal geo domain should contain only the actual name of a city, town, village or a name of a place (i.e. 42ndStreet, Oceanterminal etc). Cities may also continue as newyork-city-ny, miami-fl, miami.fl (in the case of fl.tel) etc.

Cheers!

marimax07-13-2011 04:07 PM

You are right but how many ideal geo domains can you still register ?
    I'll take anytime www.mylondon.tel with a content than www.london.tel with nothing in it

dialaroom07-13-2011 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marimax (Post 16230)
    I'll take anytime www.mylondon.tel with a content than www.london.tel with nothing in it

[size]
    Quite right marimax, this is a great thread about populating .tel directories, whilst most good geo domains are still lying empty. 

I wish someone would explain to me why and why they expect them ever to be worth the ridiculous amounts they often ask for them. 

This is the main reason in my opinion, that .tel is struggling to reach any sort of critical mass and not because it is missing all the different bells and whistles that each individual developer wants to satisfy their own personal usage.

Didn't mean to spoil the thread TELcp. In fact I couldn't be more pleased with with taxinumbers.tel (structured with over a thousand root level folders), jumped from 0 to 2 in the latest PR update, only been populated 2 months and showing well above lots of other traditional taxi directories in lots of SERPS. So no drawbacks SEO wise with your methods.

Rant over, back to adding a few more paid listings to my .tel directories.[/size]

TELcp07-13-2011 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marimax (Post 16230)

[size]
    Not quite sure how many yet to be registered?
    However, we hope this thread will help the current owners of empty geo domains to open their eyes and see what they can do about their domains?
    We will also be populating few recently acquired geo domains of cities/towns (mainly expired names).

Yes, agree. Anything populated is better than the ones with no content.

Quote:
    [/size]

Originally Posted by dialaroom (Post 16233)
    In fact I couldn't be more pleased with with taxinumbers.tel (structured with over a thousand root level folders), jumped from 0 to 2 in the latest PR update, only been populated 2 months and showing well above lots of other traditional taxi directories in lots of SERPS. So no drawbacks SEO wise with your methods.

[size]
    In fact, taxinumbers.tel is a good example to demonstrate how combination of keywords (taxi+numbers) can make a powerful "Keyword Directory" if properly planned and present to the end user.

Cheers![/size]

TELcp07-15-2011 03:19 PM

Good timing.
    Our short url method is ideal for the info window of the ".tel Mapping Tool" updated by Henri. 
    See the latest blog here http://www.telnic.org/blog/

tindaya07-15-2011 04:37 PM

Anyone can help anything else??? With the tool of Henri you can do many things, but someone have may a css for them??......... You must use the contact us, but the css at last???

The path to the stylesheet to use, for example: http://hosted.telnic.org/cgi-bin/con...h.com/your.css 

I have made I test to check how can work, only with the tools, and only I´ll need the good css to look great.

In the menus, I´ll put the differents maps (now doesn´t work), but the problen is at the bottom

The test is in here http://paratorpes.es/telrural/indexok.php

If someone help me with a beautifull .css , I think will be good for all, because to do that is only 1 minutes

boracay.tel07-16-2011 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tindaya (Post 16259)
    If someone help me with a beautifull .css , I think will be good for all, because to do that is only 1 minutes

[size]
    ha! only 1 minute....and then some hehe

Tindaya, I feel your pain.
    I've got some really really cool pages being created just now. 
    Anyway, its all based on css, php, and html5 
    (you can do some incredible things)

my advice ASAP.
    get "hype" for mac. (html5 awesome)
    get "coda" for mac. (css layout "made easy")

I will be showcasing in the next few weeks what I have come up with. I will be able to help you once my work has been completed. Sorry I sent you a PM for now[/size]
    Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

.tel for City/Town - Geo Directory Explained Empty Re: .tel for City/Town - Geo Directory Explained

Post by Telnic 2015-01-03, 7:12 am

marimax07-20-2011 06:01 PM

What is it anyway ????
    Most people have no idea what you are talking about and I am afraid you technical people will kill this great idea of a simple and easy to use idea of .tel

boracay.tel07-22-2011 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marimax (Post 16331)

What is it anyway ????
    Most people have no idea what you are talking about and I am afraid you technical people will kill this great idea of a simple and easy to use idea of .tel

[size]
    you are given help, then bite our heads off. 
    thats ok.

To us other directory builders (those that have hit the wall speed wise with the root-level build-out technique (ooh complicated), the new apple macbook airs are blindingly fast. I upgraded today to a 1.7 core i5 running LION. highly recommend! the telhosting panel barely sees the dreaded spinning wheel[/size]

dialaroom07-22-2011 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boracay.tel (Post 16367)
    the new apple macbook airs are blindingly fast. I upgraded today to a 1.7 core i5 running LION. highly recommend! the telhosting panel barely sees the dreaded spinning wheel

[size]
    :cool: jealous, who's jealous, I'M NOT JEALOUS!![/size]

boracay.tel08-01-2011 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dialaroom (Post 16372)
    :cool: jealous, who's jealous, I'M NOT JEALOUS!!

[size]
    As we wait patiently for many things, I want to re-emphasise.
    If you are serious about your directory building, and are building with the root level method, you surely must invest in the fastest machine for dollar value. the MacBook Air is amazing in speed improvements SPECIFICALLY with the CTH. I do not know why its such a MASSIVE improvement, but we are talking 10x faster for the CTH (under OSX LION in fullscreen view)

the new CTH may be many many months away. a year who knows. and who's to say its going to improve in speed any anyway. I wait patiently for the imageAds incorporated interface. again, who knows

in the meantime teldomains.pl has been an incredible tool to link to the thousands of imageAds. (i am using imageAds as a replacement/extension for a better "contact item" for every single record in boracay.tel)

its a business decision.
    get the speed now.
    don't wait.[/size]

TELcp08-12-2011 07:14 AM

Geo Directory Google Search Results

We noticed that some of the pages of mytown.tel (domain registered only a month ago) have been searched and indexed by Google.
    The short URL method we introduced has worked very well. You can search directly, in Google search, the names of imaginary restaurants "7Seas" as "7Seas Mytown" and "imperial" as "imperial Mytown". Also "Bookden" as "Bookden Mytown". 7Seas, Imperial, Bookden are not visible on the Root tel page but made visible on categories tel pages "restaurants" and "shopping". 

If these three names 7Seas, Imperial and Bookden were on categories, they would have been indexed as 7Seas.restaurants.mytown.tel,imperial,restaurants.mytown.tel and bookden.shopping.mytown.tel respectively. With the short URL method, they have been indexed directly from the root as 7seas.mytown.telimperial.mytown.tel and bookden.mytown.tel respectively.

Please note that only few pages have been indexed up to now. Hopefully other pages will also be indexed very soon. Just have a look at the telpages at mytown.tel, then search on Google and see how these pages with hidden short URLs have been indexed.

Cheers!

dottel.net08-12-2011 10:03 AM

interesting, to also help test the theory we've built some of our newer geo directories this way and will monitor the search rankings. one other issue we encountered is when you have multiple listings of the same company i.e. pizza hut in a geo directory, each unique pizza hut listing in a different town needs to have a unique folder and can't be pizza-hut..tel

we got round this by adding additional text in the folder name, but just an fyi for others who may use this approach

tel4rent08-12-2011 10:22 AM

I am also trying the method you mentioned below on some of my directories. It seems to be more SEO friendly...More feedback to come soon.

By the way, i have noticed that .tel domain with adsense are indexed by google much faster/deeper than the ones without it. Once the .tel domain is proportional well populated, i remove the adsense.

Anyone noticed it?

Blunderer08-12-2011 11:32 AM

I might have done if Google hadn't removed/lost most of my domain names. From twenty domains, I can only find two in my Google account, although it still lists all the custom channels I created for them, and the domains still display Google Ads!

Any ideas?

TELcp08-12-2011 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dottel.net (Post 16761)
    one other issue we encountered is when you have multiple listings of the same company i.e. pizza hut in a geo directory, each unique pizza hut listing in a different town needs to have a unique folder and can't be pizza-hut..tel
    we got round this by adding additional text in the folder name, but just an fyi for others who may use this approach

[size]
    We suggested to our clients to use multiple listings of the same business in one telpage with different contact info of their respective locations within the same Geoname.tel or to follow what we have done at mytown.tel diplaying "panpizza" under category restaurants (with subdomainpanpizza.mytown.tel) and three independent tel pages for each outlet/branch. This way the owner/franchise owner of panpizza can still have a single main identity as "panpizza.mytown.tel" in his/her business correspondence/name card etc.

Of course, other telowners may have better ideas/suggestions than this. We are just sharing our approach to this issue.

Cheers![/size]

TELcp08-12-2011 02:36 PM

For your info, the mytown.tel has no any direct links to Google at all. Not even analytics. But it does have links from other pages (both tel and not-tel) where Google bots visit regularly. All bots are blind. They have no idea where they go as long as they find a link somewhere. And they just follow the link. Bots will follow new routes and come back if they don't find any duplicate contents (from other places they have been) in the new places they visit.

Cheers!

TELcp08-24-2011 07:20 AM

Short URL method 100% successful

We are pleased to announce that the short URL method we experimented is 100% successful.

Results as follows:

Search greatwall in Google - About 53,100,000 results (many results for "greatwall').
    Search greatwall mytown - About 1,100,000 results (top most result is "greatwall.mytown.tel".

In fact greatwall.mytown.tel does not have any direct links from either the root page or from other third party websites/pages. It is purely through the mytown.tel itself.

With our short URL method it was created on the root (but not exposed as such) and linked under the category restaurants.mytown.tel. The Google Search has indexed it very nicely as expected and the proud owner of the greatwall restaurant in mytown (imaginary names for this example) can display it as greatwall.mytown.tel (a very cool presentable name and easy to remember than a phone number or email address).

We hope that many tel users can be benefited through this method and hopefully build more confidence to promote their businesses etc.

This method is also very useful for any organization to allocate tel pages for their employees whose names (or ranks/positions) may be published under different categories but presented to the rest of the world directly from the root. 

We will publish more on this after our release of the TELcp Ver.3 (mainly targeting the tel users' access to the existing TELcp system using smartphones).

Enjoy the experience of .tel !

Rome was not built in a day.

tel4rent08-24-2011 10:24 AM

Hi Telcp!

Many thanks for the below...it really help to boost our confidence in the method. I am testing it myself but still waiting for google to index the short URL. It seems to take much more time although indexed on Telpages than the regular address.

Did you experience anything like that? How long did you wait for the short URL to be indexed by google?

Thanks

TELcp08-24-2011 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tel4rent (Post 17024)
    Hi Telcp!
    Did you experience anything like that? How long did you wait for the short URL to be indexed by google?
    Thanks

[size]
    Well, mytown.tel was regged on 10th July this year. And completed up to its present status around 14-15th July. Nothing important other than two or three external links to its root page. Google is pretty fast and has indexed most of mytown.tel's pages. There are no hideen secrets, unless bots liked the name mytown

Unfortunately tel's own telpages.com has indexed only 3 pages so far (you may compare the Google search results and Telpages search results) and the main page mytown.tel itself is not indexed!! Very strange. Cannot make out Telpages search algorithms.

Cheers![/size]

mikeseaton08-24-2011 06:07 PM

Out of curiosity just tried a "mytown" search on Net-Link Tel Search - results are given at http://tinyurl.com/query-mytown - if you click any of the Web/Video/MySpace/Facebook/Twitter headings the same search will be repeated for these sites. 

Mike Seaton

tel4rent08-24-2011 07:54 PM

Hi,

Funny enough i had initially an issue with my .tel not being indexed by Telpages. When i flagged it, i was told that there was a load on the system and things should be indexed soon. Few days later, telpages did indexed all the pages...
    However, Google has still not indexed the pages that are unchecked. Will wait for few weeks and see

Blunderer10-28-2011 11:11 PM

Has anyone been able to form a conclusion - long v short yet?

boracay.tel10-29-2011 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blunderer (Post 18778)
    Has anyone been able to form a conclusion - long v short yet?

[size]
    boracay emergency

well, "emergency.boracay.tel" 2 years ago was number 1 on serps
    it has had its data modified slightly, then slightly again, etc etc over that time
    ...anyway, its dropped down to position 4 or 5 i think

some other long tail "boracay emergency" results from our boracay.tel pages are just as high now after the same 2 year period (position 5 or 6 i think)

whats interesting though, a newer sister site i created (6 months ago) "boracay.in/emergency" is doing much better currently than any of the .tel emergency pages. (its got lots of links across to the actual boracay.tel emergency services pages . i used henri's map tool to do that)
    this sister site page is my best rank currently for "boracay emergency"

conclusion:
    short .tel url's rank higher in the early days, then drop off after a few years.
    long .tel url's rank poorly in the early days, then gradually rise over a few years.[/size]

TELcp10-29-2011 03:17 AM

@Blunderer

The short url concept introduced in mytown.tel is to produce an "easy to remember" name in a multi category directory.
    You may check this yourself.

• Try googling "greatwall" - note down the number of search results.
    • Then goolge search "mytown" - note down the number of search results.
    • Finally, search "greatwall mytown" - see the search results.

[size]

In fact, "greatwall" in mytown is categorized under "restaurants.mytown.tel" but the hidden short url "greatwall mytown" has been searched by search engines as "greatwall.mytown.tel" instead of "greatwall.restaurants.mytown.tel".

Assume, in the case of mytown.tel niche geo directory, "greatwall" is a part of a franchise restaurants.
    Therefore, it is possible a county in the UK having more than one "greatwall".
    But someone needs to contact "greatwall in mytown".
    He/She does the search in the mobile, gets "greatwall.mytown.tel" in top of the search results and contact "greatwall mytown" straight away.

Similarly, you may try different "business names" in mytown.tel directory and test this method yourself.

However, the Algorithms of search engines may vary geographically and periodically. And hard to predict.

Hope this helps.

Cheers ![/size]

Blunderer10-31-2011 10:25 PM

Boracay/TELcp,

Thank you for your replies.

I will be trying a few shortened URLs on some of my low density sites to see how they do.

Boracay, your comment about the time element is ringing a bell. I have deliberately not spent the last 18 months promoting, linking and otherwise optimizing any sites, to see if .tel do naturally rise to the top - no strong evidence yet although there may be an upward trend.

I'm going to stick to marketing the name - eliminating the need for people to make a general search.

dottel.net11-01-2011 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boracay.tel (Post 18783)
    conclusion:
    short .tel url's rank higher in the early days, then drop off after a few years.
    long .tel url's rank poorly in the early days, then gradually rise over a few years.

[size]
    interesting... i've got around 100 long tailed and 100 with the short but am unable to draw any conclusions so far. interested in hearing more from others regarding what they've seen to help paint a complete picture,.[/size]

Current date/time is 2024-05-19, 4:33 pm