The .TEL Community on the .TEL Domain Forum!

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

+4
Telminator
telrific
ntervu
MisterX
8 posters

Is .tel a joke?

MisterX
    MisterX

Warning level : 100 %

Is .tel a joke? Empty Is .tel a joke?

Post by MisterX 2012-09-06, 9:12 pm

Recently I found a quality keyword available for .tel which was taken for all other extensions, so I gave it a try and registered the domain.
    I never heard about .tel before and my registrar didn't gave me any information that .tel is different than other extensions.
    I found out when I tried to fill it with content. Limited design, no possibilities to insert videos, text or pictures. Only a small logo.
    So now I'm the proud owner of a domain which is filled with my phone number (which I rather would keep secret), but no content and with the appearance like the internet in the early nineties.
    It seems to be I own a homepage now which is limited to the functionality of an imprint, but somebody forgot to deliver me the website.
    Is there any imaginable use for that?
    Anyway is there a grace period to return the domain without charge of costs for me?
    ntervu
    ntervu
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

Is .tel a joke? Empty Re: Is .tel a joke?

Post by ntervu 2012-09-07, 4:26 am

MisterX...

Typically, if you contact the registrar that you purchased the domain from within 3 to 5 days you can have your money refunded. This is the grace period that is pretty much standard for mis-registered domains. If by chance you desire to know more about how to make the .Tel platform work for you, feel free to contact me for support if you like.

Regards
    telrific
    telrific
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

Post by telrific 2012-09-07, 5:19 am

MisterX wrote:Recently I found a quality keyword available for .tel which was taken for all other extensions, so I gave it a try and registered the domain ...

The short answer is of course, yes, .tel is a joke, and you've answered your own question very well.

99% of all people who have done the same feel as you do eventually, and drop them.

For something that is not a .tel joke, try www.telnames.com

You'll pay a bit more, but it's worth it for what .tel is supposed to represent.

You'll still not have a popular, quality directory that you're in (as promised), but at least you'll have a good page to share.

That is worth 100% more than the standard .tel page anyway.

They do allow transfers into Telnames, you might try that to keep a good keyword, others have done the same.
    Telminator
    Telminator
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

Warning level : Banned

Post by Telminator 2012-09-07, 7:52 am

The reaction of Mister X after registering his .tel is very understandable, because how is it possible to find out the purpose of .tel without any further explanation?
    The only difference is most people would have dropped their .tel without mentioning it.
    The problem is a newbie can't use his .tel for the following purposes:

Name dialing: Not in action
    Social networking: Telfriends is not working
    Yellow Pages: Telpages has no market penetration and no advanced functionality

It is understandable in the year 2009 Telnic wanted to rush into the market after they waited many years for approval by ICANN and realization. So they went live with a pure beta prototype.
    But 3 years after it was to be expected Telnic will deliver an advanced product and will build an usable software solution.
    Nobody could expect Telnic wouldn't do anything during the last 3 years!
    silvano
    silvano

.tel domain : albenga.tel
    Number of .tel domains : 3

Post by silvano 2012-09-07, 8:08 am

telrific wrote:

You'll pay a bit more, but it's worth it for what .tel is supposed to represent.

You'll still not have a popular, quality directory that you're in (as promised), but at least you'll have a good page to share.

They do allow transfers into Telnames, you might try that to keep a good keyword, others have done the same.

Mmmm... 15 £ annualy for a single page...

Better dooid.me, about.me or other similar services. More customizable and a cost of 0 £.
    kprobe
    kprobe
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

Post by kprobe 2012-09-07, 8:12 am

MisterX. It depends on what you intend use it for. Your registrar was right - it is different. If you bought a .Tel for your business, then it's ideal, even with some apparently missing functionality. For personal use, you get a place to consolidate all your contact information. .Tel is designed for communication, giving you a web presence without any hosting or programming costs. That in itself is a big saving. And it gives customers local awareness if you choose to build up your subdomains with product and region keywords.

As for images and video, you are partially correct - the standard Telnic management interface does not provide image and video insertion, a big hole in my honest opinion. However, there are free tools out there to do what you need and more: www.TelMasters.com www.TelWizards.com and www.TelVision.co - with third party tools you can create sites with multiple pages, images, video and text. Take a look at some that use different templates :

www.PYC.tel
    www.Arts.tel
    www.SmallBusiness.tel
    www.Ponds.tel
    www.Celebrities.tel
    www.FamilyDoctor.tel
    www.ComoxValley.tel
    www.IAHIP.tel

Many more examples.

So don't be dismayed, use your keyword .Tel to your advantage. As Dan said, we are here to help you get the most of of your domain.
    Mark
    telrific
    telrific
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

Post by telrific 2012-09-07, 8:23 am

silvano wrote:
    telrific wrote:

Mmmm... 15 £ annualy for a single page...

Better dooid.me, about.me or other similar services. More customizable and a cost of 0 £.

The reasons that you would pay for a .tel versus those is supposed to be 2 simple premises:

1. You own it, you're not just a page on someone else's domain.

2. You're easily discovered in the only tld exclusive global directory for profile and contact information.

Right now at least there's 1. above !
    silvano
    silvano

.tel domain : albenga.tel
    Number of .tel domains : 3

Post by silvano 2012-09-07, 4:54 pm

telrific wrote:

The reasons that you would pay for a .tel versus those is supposed to be 2 simple premises:

1. You own it, you're not just a page on someone else's domain.

2. You're easily discovered in the only tld exclusive global directory for profile and contact information.

Right now at least there's 1. above !

1. For normal people not deeply involved in Internet there is no difference between
    http://about.me/my_name
    http://dooid.me/my_name
    http://my_name.tel

2. I prefer the "old style" templates of Telnic.
    The possibility of having subdirectories can be useful, for example for splitting the business from the personal contacts. This maintains the home page shorter and more "readable".
    And if the page lacks of background, photos and videos who cares! .tel is for phone numbers, emails, addresses, websites...
    If I want background, photos, videos, I would buy a .com, .co, .it, .net, .me, .eu, .mobi, .org, .biz, .info, .pro, .name, or maybe one of the new domains outbound next year, for example .website, .web, .site, .page, .bio, .wow, .lol, .bananarepublic, .pizza, .su(c)ks, .rip :-)
    telrific
    telrific
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

Post by telrific 2012-09-07, 5:52 pm

silvano wrote:1. For normal people not deeply involved in Internet there is no difference between
    http://about.me/my_name
    http://dooid.me/my_name
    http://my_name.tel

There is a huge difference, it's called legal control of data, etc., and it doesn't matter who you are, they're taking full advantage of you whether you're "into the internet" or not.

2. I prefer the "old style" templates of Telnic.
    The possibility of having subdirectories can be useful, for example for splitting the business from the personal contacts. This maintains the home page shorter and more "readable".
    And if the page lacks of background, photos and videos who cares! .tel is for phone numbers, emails, addresses, websites...
    If I want background, photos, videos, I would buy a .com, .co, .it, .net, .me, .eu, .mobi, .org, .biz, .info, .pro, .name, or maybe one of the new domains outbound next year, for example .website, .web, .site, .page, .bio, .wow, .lol, .bananarepublic, .pizza, .su(c)ks, .rip :-)

Billions of users, coupled with extensive, broad research have already shown that as a normal Business or Individual, you're in the minority.

YouTube, Twitter, Facebook, Yellow Pages all show the demand and the popular features requested by owners and users around the world.

Telnames obviously took a page from the "majority playbook" of these, and it shows.

I have both styles of templates for various uses too, but I too am in the minority.

99% of all Businesses and Individuals have a purpose driven profile maximized for display and response, this is the Telnames advantage.

Television for example is the "pinnacle" of advertising and response.

Short clear profile, pics, video, and primary contact data for visitor response.

Telnames is a clear reflection of what decades of data has proven as the predominant value.

".tel is a joke" is the common, public reaction to the standard templates and directory for a reason ... they are used to better than .tel and telpages, expect better than .tel and telpages, and demand better than .tel and telpages ... or they laugh and walk away, just like the majority so far.

Telnames was suggested because simply put ... it is better.

It's purpose is to provide a simple, effective profile in a live, global directory ... online. Are there peripheral benefits to many people using the standard templates offering ? Sure, but the Billions Telnic has as primary targets for registration remains based upon two simple primary functions they have advertised since 2008 :

1. A quality Business or Individual profile with a .tel address

2. A global directory where Billions of these are easily found.

Is .tel a joke? Top2

When these exist, you can finally have valuable subdirectories.

.tel (sub)directories with subdomains listing the 1.'s above by geography and/or category.

It will be a long road for real subdirectories to be of any value, and they should be thrown out of TelPages until they are of real value down the road, else, they should have a REAL directory with Telnames and Frontpage only by itself so that people have something NOT FILLED WITH GARBAGE until REAL .tel registrants can be listed in those subdirectories.

Like I said before, look at the top of this page and look at the directory called "Members".

The directory and the results of the registrants of this forum is FAR better than TelPages, which proudly states:

"Find a Business or Individual with a .tel domain"

Apparently, this is a taunt and a challenge, just look at the results and try !

.tel is a joke ? Of course it is relative to anything else, and TelPages is even worse !
    telrific
    telrific
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

Post by telrific 2012-09-07, 7:18 pm

telrific wrote: ... Like I said before, look at the top of this page and look at the directory called "Members".

The directory and the results of the registrants of this forum is FAR better than TelPages, which proudly states:

"Find a Business or Individual with a .tel domain"

Apparently, this is a taunt and a challenge, just look at the results and try !

.tel is a joke ? Of course it is relative to anything else, and TelPages is even worse !

Here's an example for an Individual in TelPages:

Type in "Mark" to find .tel registrants named Mark.

Unless you have the one and only Mark.tel you can't get found until page 6 because of the subdomain GARBAGE !

FINALLY another .tel registrant is found on page 6 - MarkBridge.tel

I feel sorry for anyone that reads Telnic's propaganda !

I want to apologize for .tel as someone with no direct association with Telnic !

Of course, I've been apologizing for years, asking others to have patience for no reason so far. Nadya kept saying to us all, be patient, and she's gone herself !
    Rambo
    Rambo
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

Post by Rambo 2012-09-08, 6:55 am

Telrific, This is the proof Telpages is not only weak and boring but useless too! Telpages still looks like in the year 2009 and Telnic should really start developing it!
    mikeseaton
    mikeseaton
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

.tel domain : MIkeSeaton.tel

Post by mikeseaton 2012-09-08, 9:45 am

telrific wrote:Here's an example for an Individual in TelPages:

Unless you have the one and only Mark.tel you can't get found until page 6 because of the subdomain GARBAGE !
    Plenty of Mark names can be found on page 1 if you use this Tel Search Engine:

http://www.net-link.com/tel/search.asp?q=mark

Then click on any of the Web/Video/Facebook/Google+/MySpace/Twitter links above the search box to perform the same search on these other sites without rekeying.

http://MikeSeaton.tel
    telrific
    telrific
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

Post by telrific 2012-09-08, 9:53 am

mikeseaton wrote:
    telrific wrote:Here's an example for an Individual in TelPages:

Plenty of Mark names can be found on page 1 if you use this Tel Search Engine:

http://www.net-link.com/tel/search.asp?q=mark

Then click on any of the Web/Video/Facebook/Google+/MySpace/Twitter links above the search box to perform the same search on these other sites without rekeying.

http://MikeSeaton.tel

Good example Mike.

It's a perfect example of what a real TelPages might begin to look like.

Unfortunately, it also still shows that listing subdomains in results makes for bad results.

If anyone can register something like: asdfjjijeehjrf.tel and pump it full of Name and information subdomains, there is no point to .tel registrations or TelPages !

The best directory will show ALL Primary .tel registrants before that garbage.

Google couldn't be customized to show relevance (imagine that), so I dropped my Google SE for .tel sometime ago.

Last edited by telrific on 2012-09-08, 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total
    telrific
    telrific
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

Post by telrific 2012-09-08, 9:57 am

Rambo wrote:Telrific, This is the proof Telpages is not only weak and boring but useless too! Telpages still looks like in the year 2009 and Telnic should really start developing it!

You're absolutely right, as I have stated for over 3 years now myself !

Advertise to the World those 2 simple functions and you have interest.

Fail the World in those 2 simple functions and you have nothing, or worse.

Is .tel a joke? Top2

Note how it says:

YOUR communications hub, not "stuff .tel domains with other people's dead data and kill the effort" !

Last edited by telrific on 2012-09-08, 10:05 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : pic)
    ntervu
    ntervu
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

Post by ntervu 2012-09-08, 11:37 pm

After reviewing this thread I fail to see the "Joke."

A few great suggestions and observations were made, unfortunately they are negated by scapegoat finger pointing to "Telnic" as the problem.

We all make decisions that sometimes favor our agendas and often times do not. Citing the wrongs of others is always easier than citing the rights. As business owners (if you are) then you know that the satisfaction of all parties is not achievable.

Contention and support of the vested achievers propel the ongoing success of great programs.

This thread did nothing more than turn a guest from resolution to doubt.

Come on TelCentric business vesters. Were is the Positive juice. If there is none -- is this the game you really want to be in. I am confident that Telnic is doing their job. The question is "Are we doing ours?"

Before answering that -- keep in mind your perspectives and answers in others threads. How much positive juice have you added? Not ideas, criticisms, what-ifs and plans from 2, 3 or 4 years ago -- but experiences from your developments and engagements that produce fruit ($$$ or positive results).

Each day is a new day and opportunity.
    telrific
    telrific
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

Post by telrific 2012-09-09, 5:47 am

ntervu wrote:After reviewing this thread I fail to see the "Joke."

You made it quite evident that you fail to see the joke.

At least you've admitted that.

The world at large however and has not failed to see the joke.

They too have admitted that.

Playing Mary Poppins won't change anything either.

When TELNIC follows through on THEIR statements, maybe the world will stop laughing.

In the meantime, if you don't get that it's a joke, you need to get out more.
    ntervu
    ntervu
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

Post by ntervu 2012-09-09, 7:11 pm

Chris..

You are correct.. I do not get the joke when it comes to running a company and ensuring that the people that depend on my leadership expect results to support their families. Now with that addressed, let's continue to focus on what makes things work for this community and the great strides we collaboratively desire to accomplish.

I like the thoughts and suggestions you added in other threads. So let's continue to work together in driving the instrumental success of a revolutionary platform.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 2024-05-07, 2:18 am