The .TEL Community on the .TEL Domain Forum!

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

Is the .tel domain the deal of the century?

Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

Is the .tel domain the deal of the century? Empty Is the .tel domain the deal of the century?

Post by Telnic 2014-12-30, 1:13 pm

Cees04-09-2010 08:28 AM

Is the .tel domain the deal of the century?

Did we all buy into .tel to soon? 
    Going by this article surely the potential for .tel must be sky high, why would a company pay these sort of prices (yes I know they will) but surely utilising the .tel domain ought to be a no brainer.
    I'm more certain than ever that I made the correct decision to hang on to 99% of my names and when the rest are due I'll renew those as well.

Check this article, $ 200,000 non refundable fee and a yearly $ 25,000 renewal fee.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/at-wh...0408-rv24.html

dottel.net04-09-2010 09:45 AM

that's for their own tld i.e. ibm having .ibm, etc

I think this is something only the big boys or specific companies (i.e telnic for .tel) would look to do. those same companies that have their names trademarked and probably own all other domain sets too

Cees04-09-2010 11:03 AM

Generic's as well.

mactel04-09-2010 11:09 AM

http://telhosting.1api.net/g2/shared...ogo-telnic.gif
    Concerning Australia, only:
    For example:
    Company Canon:
    It has canon.com, and in order to get dot canon (.canon), it will have to pay a fee of ca. $202,000 (US, or Australien Dollars?, non refundable).

Ok: So a company wants to use a domain name, for singular and only purpose to brand its name.
    And thinks, that most existing domain extensions might be unfavorable or hindering to achive that purpose in a most efficient way: Instead of "canon.com", it would be "canon.canon", or any word, plus dot canon.

I do not fully believe in this concept and theory, as in some cases, a domain extension can help brand your company name in a better way. For example, if it matches your main name in a attractive way, and gives it some more spice and attention. In one of my personal cases, I had been looking for nice extensions for one of my domain names, and only found that .tel and .asia looked best.

Constellations:

canon.canon (proposed / proposition, and then: )
    cameras.canon (proposed / proposition)
    printers.canon (proposed / proposition)

cameras.canon.com
    printers.canon.com
    canon.com/cameras
    canon.com/printers

canon.tel
    cameras.canon.tel
    printers.canon.tel

Further thoughts:
    The costs and fees are negligable for such big companies.
    The problem would be, that people would have to accept the fact, that any sort of domain name extension is possible. But who will get used to the fact, that a brand name can be a domain extension. 
    And it is neither the question, if the money is well invested, because it is a experiment, and the money is just risk capital, if you will.

If Canon, or anybody else give someone the domain name „cameras.canon“ for usage, then they will always ask: „You forgott to add the domain extension: What is the domain extension?“.

And Canon, or you, would be ending up, not bothering to explain, but just provide „cameras.canon.tel“, or the .com version, instead.

And furthermore:

It would have to be
    canon.canon
    at first.

But probably, if you would be the holder of dot canon, you would not have to register
    cameras.canon, or 
    printers.canon?

Conclusion:

It is all about education people.

The one person tries to explain, that „dot company“ works.
    What is the difference:
    For „canon.com“, you had to remember „canon“.
    And for „cameras.canon“, you will have to remember „canon“...

Anyway: It might only work in Australia...

Again:
    cameras.canon:
    People won't type it, because they will never get it/understand it.
    But they will click on it, because it will be also a link.

But the branding benefit might be small, and so, not worth all the costs.

„dot mycompany“ could be a „non-go“. Whereas any domain name extension, is easier to explain and to grasp. Even dot tel (.tel).

And what applies for .tel?:
    If people won't remember it, or type it into a browser or search engine: They will at least click on the link of a dot tel domain.
    And that could be the most efficient way to spread the word about .tel, and to make it a memorable domain name extension: Put as many .tel links, as you can. Clicking on links, is easy, no matter which extension the link has. To make a decision to click on a link, might depend on the main name, but hardly on the domain extension.

http://telhosting.1api.net/g2/shared...ogo-telnic.gif

Triton NW04-12-2010 06:21 PM

Is the April newsletter due out today?

telrific04-12-2010 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cees (Post 7860)
    Did we all buy into .tel to soon? 
    Going by this article surely the potential for .tel must be sky high, why would a company pay these sort of prices (yes I know they will) but surely utilising the .tel domain ought to be a no brainer.
    I'm more certain than ever that I made the correct decision to hang on to 99% of my names and when the rest are due I'll renew those as well.

Check this article, $ 200,000 non refundable fee and a yearly $ 25,000 renewal fee.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/at-wh...0408-rv24.html

[size]
    I was aware of that many months ago.

The difference will be that all .tlds other than .tel will lose value over time as a result.

See this if you haven't already:

Why should I use telpages and encourage others to do the same ? 

Both article(s) prove the value of .TEL over all others no matter how you look at it because
    of its unique purpose and directory/use.

;)[/size]

JLouisBiz04-12-2010 10:28 PM

I assume you make jokes about "all tlds" to loose value over time but TEL.

New TLDs will not decrease the value of .COM and other TLDs, just like that, like TEL is not decreasing the value of .COM and others.

Bunjie04-13-2010 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triton NW (Post 7978)
    Is the April newsletter due out today?

[size]
    I didin't get my TELNIC April fools newsletter, even google made an effort
    [/size]

Current date/time is 2024-05-08, 11:14 am