The .TEL Community on the .TEL Domain Forum!

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

Which TLD for sister site?

Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

Which TLD for sister site? Empty Which TLD for sister site?

Post by Telnic 2014-12-30, 4:02 pm

Cees12-11-2010 08:04 PM

Which TLD for sister site?

Your expert opinions sought, RE Sister sites.
    .com would I assume be best, if not available then .net, .org or .info.
    I could in one niche market (high value) actually buy all three tld's would that be advisable as a strategic move to limit competition?

dialaroom12-11-2010 09:26 PM

It really doesn’t matter what sister TLD you are using, if the content of your site is good enough, an .org domain will often rank better than a .com domain, but is often used for non-profit organizations. 

If you have a good on and off page seo, google will not feel the difference. Other factors like speed, backlinks etc. also play their part, but speed comes from good SEO and backlinks come from outstanding content.

.com is the most widely recognised, it is widely thought that .net is the best alternative to .com. .info implies it will be an informative site and has been the most successful of the new generic top level domains. It's swings and roundabouts, but the old adage "content is king" still applies, in my opinion. Others might think differently.

Cees12-12-2010 08:00 PM

Thanks Steve,
    I appreciate your thoughts, now which tld to purchase:)

Simon G12-12-2010 08:26 PM

I agree with steve, com at top then the others if it is not available. However if this is for a project that is not global consider the local cctld aswell as the .com.

dialaroom12-12-2010 08:39 PM

Google really doesn't care much about which TLD you choose. But users often assume any domain is a .com.

Simon G12-12-2010 08:57 PM

Quote:

Google really doesn't care much about which TLD you choose. But users often assume any domain is a .com.

[size]
    exactly however I believe an established cctld such as .co.uk is given preference if searched for within the country of origin.[/size]

dialaroom12-12-2010 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon G (Post 11843)
    exactly however I believe an established cctld such as .co.uk is given preference if searched for within the country of origin.

[size]
    You're quite right of course, perhaps I should have said users often assume any domain is a .com or their country code top level domain.[/size]

dotteler12-13-2010 08:57 PM

I love .co for sister sites, since many are still available.
    They're going to do a go daddy super bowl commercial, from what I see.

rgolds12-16-2010 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dotteler (Post 11855)

[size]
    .co seems to be becoming pretty popular. Just yesterday, I saw a commercial on TV for Overstock.com, and it included "Shortcut:www.O.co" - pretty good domain name IMO![/size]

dialaroom12-17-2010 05:05 PM

Depending upon how much content you need, I used a .mobi for dialaroom http://dialaroom.mobi to hold a form and a google custom search, before .tels had its own search facility. At the time it seemed a good idea, what happened to .mobi? Does anyone use it still?

GoBigCity12-18-2010 06:20 PM

I read a press release from the guys that brought the .co TLD to the table. They are doing a huge campaign with GoDaddy at the super bowl. It stands to reason that a lot of .co's will be snatched up that day so that may be an option to consider

dotteler12-18-2010 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoBigCity (Post 11906)
    I read a press release from the guys that brought the .co TLD to the table. They are doing a huge campaign with GoDaddy at the super bowl. It stands to reason that a lot of .co's will be snatched up that day so that may be an option to consider

[size]
    .tel and .co mutually available makes a great pairing.[/size]

Cees12-18-2010 07:59 PM

Just like to thank everyone, for their valuable input. 
    Season greetings to all of you.
    The Super bowl is on the 6th Feb 2011 for those not in the know.

Shahid12-19-2010 09:15 AM

Like Steve and some of us think, any tld is good as long as you have content on it and it gets accepted by Google.

there are many .com even now they are way down below expectation so it's not dependable only on .com .net or .org or .co ( the new trend not sure how long for ) choose what is best for you and go with it it will never let u down

steveteva12-26-2010 07:05 PM

Everybody is wrong here because if you have a .tel and need a sister site let say it's for a .tel directory and need to have a sister site to show videos, pictures, explaination, form... you need a .com
    here is a tip: if your .tel is geo.tel or product.tel why not reg producttel.com or geotel.com or geoteldirectory.com .... you have many possibilities.

Why not other tlds? Simply because .tel is not enough known by public that you need a .com to forward to .tel
    Also cctld is great too.

dotteler12-27-2010 05:44 PM

.com is ideal although mostly out of reach or taken

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)12-27-2010 07:53 PM

You can also go local (country). eg for york-region.tel, the sister site is yorktel.ca
    Mark

maximka01-17-2011 11:00 PM

I am not a big exert, but I would prefer .com for a sister-site. Of course because of high prices of .com's, it is not a real wish to have them both - .com and .tel. 

If your .tel is not English word but a word in a national language, and you want to make not a big international project but a project on a national level, then, I think, national domains can be good.

The second choice is .net. To my Rio-Janeiro .tel just today I registered Rio-Janeiro .net - by chance it was free. Definitely, with these domains now I need to begin to study Portuguese.

http://litvo.webasyst.net/photos/ful...af1380fe887a39

mikeseaton01-17-2011 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cees (Post 11833)
    Your expert opinions sought, RE Sister sites.
    .com would I assume be best, if not available then .net, .org or .info.
    I could in one niche market (high value) actually buy all three tld's would that be advisable as a strategic move to limit competition?

[size]
    A decent Dot Com can be very expensive - have a look at http://www.dnjournal.com/ytd-sales-charts.htm for some recent sale prices achieved!

I would consider Dot Co if your budget is limited - http://www.cointernet.co has all the info re this extension - I recently purchasedhttp://www.BoatSearch.co

BTW Sedo will be running a Premium Dot Co auction on 10th February which will give an idea of current values.

Mike Seaton[/size]

mikeseaton01-17-2011 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dotteler (Post 11855)

[size]
    Here's a link re this - http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/20...y-domain_N.htm

Mike Seaton[/size]
    Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

Which TLD for sister site? Empty Re: Which TLD for sister site?

Post by Telnic 2014-12-30, 4:02 pm

maximka01-18-2011 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeseaton (Post 12228)
    A decent Dot Com can be very expensive - have a look at http://www.dnjournal.com/ytd-sales-charts.htm for some recent sale prices achieved!

[size]
    Prices for dictionary words at .com are really very big now. As it sometimes happen with all bubles, when they will reach their maximum they will go down. But, perhaps, this will not happen today or tomorrow.

It is very interesting, that there exists a so big difference in prices between those English dictionary words, which are considered "top words" and which are considered not "top". 

For my another TEL-site - making .tel, I had a sister-site _LashUp.com. I thought that these two domains have something common because "Lash-up" is an English dictionary word with meaning of "any improvised arrangement for temporary use".

It happened that my LashUp is at Sedo's auction now. I put a very low starting price for it, and so we will have possibility to see to what extent its selling price will differ from those .coms, which are at the top of a list.[/size]

Current date/time is 2024-05-02, 7:00 pm