The .TEL Community on the .TEL Domain Forum!

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

Only 1 new template?

Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

Only 1 new template? Empty Only 1 new template?

Post by Telnic 2014-12-31, 6:35 pm

kiwihiker02-15-2011 10:53 AM

Only 1 new template?

Please don't tell me that Telnic is only going to select 1 of the competition templates - its hard enough trying to sell Telnic as a directory offering to local business people because of the less-than-marketable presentation of the existing templates.

Limiting yourself to 1 new option would be sad - if we had several different options to market, we could really start to go places. For my part, I'd love to be able to mock up and offer samples for 201, 194, 181 and 12. Several people I've spoken to would buy space on my sites if they could select from one of the new templates in the competition (the ones I showed were the IDs above). 

On that note - can we apply a template at a folder level instead of globally at the TLD name-level?

boracay.tel02-15-2011 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwihiker (Post 12783)
    On that note - can we apply a template at a folder level instead of globally at the TLD name-level?

[size]
    that has been asked for many moons ago! 
    but yes, I too hope that will be possible to mix and match (at least for the desktop proxy)

With regards to the mobile proxy.... if there are to be any NEW additional mobile templates, please leave the current mobile proxy template in the portfolio untouched. that is, as a "pre-existing" template.[/size]

telrific02-15-2011 08:44 PM

Well, there are some very nice designs submitted.

The key is that all should allow any color scheme to be used, just like now.

That leaves the layout and the style.

On layout and style, there are very few choices, but a couple of good ones.

I see one that is the winner on layout and style, with a couple of others that should be included in the template offering.

There are only about 3 or 4 total that are layout and style appropriate.

The rest are just versions of what we already have except for rearrangement or color.

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)02-15-2011 09:03 PM

I'd love to see sections you can Hide or Show, where we can group related records into clusters. Would save lots of space too, only visible when Show is clicked. Perhaps even tabs at top to control the default view.
    Mark

kiwihiker02-15-2011 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by telrific (Post 12795)

I see one that is the winner on layout and style, with a couple of others that should be included in the template offering.

There are only about 3 or 4 total that are layout and style appropriate.

[size]
    I'd be phenomenally happy (and have 37 confirmed businesses who would list now) if I could deploy the templates I nominated above, with capacity to customise at a folder level (and be able to specify whether I wanted inheritance of that template to be applied from that hierarchy point downwards). I'd also want to be able to elect to hie the 'powered by Telnic' logo as that is very invasive from a presentation perspective.

Please Telnic - I would like to begin capitalising on my investment in .tel domains, and any pick-up only serves to further market .tel to the broader/global community.[/size]

tindaya02-16-2011 12:04 AM

The best to me is???? http://dominiotel.blogspot.com/2011/...s-dominio.html

maximka02-16-2011 12:15 AM

I looked at designs submitted and do not understand why all designers want to place a bar with "manage", "logout" and etc. on the very top op the page? It would be more economic to place it at the bottom - as we do not use these functions constantly. Now, then these buttons are at the top they "eats" vertical space of the page.

telrific02-16-2011 06:57 AM

Well, if we're stating our choice as the "one" ...

After about 100 looks at each one of them, all of which have a great feature or two, 
    the overall "useful for Individual or Business" alike has me coming back time and again to #201.

It's the perfect balance of Page and Card, with functions on the Page and the Registrant
    Information on the Card.

The lines, overlaps, etc. - I can definitely see why it's the Highest Rated.

Great Job !

:cool:

P.S. Maybe use the Icons/Blocks from #189 and you've really got something !

P.P.S. Add Mark's Suggestions for the Hideaway and ...

:cool::cool::cool:

So many options, so little time ...

teltheworld02-16-2011 12:29 PM

Hi Telrific & Other Forum Members

For me it has to be 201 by a 'Country Mile' !

Professional, Classy, Nicely Understated.

I can't believe I am saying this! 

But I actually like the way the logos have been subtly incorporated in to this Contemporary Cutting Edge design (please have the Powered by Tel logo switched off by default)

This is the one I've been waiting for!

No wonder it's rated so highly.

One Suggestion: As well as being able to mix our own Colors, would it also be possible to have some standard Color combos, to choose from as well, for those who have lots of .Tels.

Otherwise a Great design which like Telrific, I keep coming back to.

Blunderer02-16-2011 05:23 PM

How important is it to have the Breadcrumbs on display?

dottel02-16-2011 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blunderer (Post 12821)
    How important is it to have the Breadcrumbs on display?

[size]
    http://www.marketing-jive.com/2009/1...avigation.html
    http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2009...t-practices-2/

hope that helps[/size]

Blunderer02-16-2011 05:27 PM

Another question: how many of you use two hands when operating your touch/smart phone?

(e.g. hold in one hand and scroll with the other or, hold in one hand and scroll with the thumb)

Blunderer02-16-2011 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dottel (Post 12822)
    http://www.marketing-jive.com/2009/1...avigation.html
    http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2009...t-practices-2/

hope that helps

[size]
    It does indeed. Thank you.[/size]

spline02-16-2011 09:15 PM

I didn't have time to submit a design, but working as a designer there are two things I would very much recommend. 
    Telnic needs to make the icons colorless, I would go for white with a black dropshadow or something, because otherwise they lock the users into having to chose colors that goes with the icon colors.

The two column layout look much better but does not leave any room for descriptions.

So that is something that has to be taken into account.

Third and this is something that is very important.

The Goto icons should really change the arrow to point up or to the right.

Why would it be more effective with another icon, there are a couple of reasons.

Go to google and make a search for download icon and look at the images.

They all have a arrow pointing down. 

Take the icon and ask any avarage joe what it means and they will say "download".

Ask them if they like to download content they are not familiar with and they will say no.

So the goto icon that actually is interpreted as a download icon this will lead to people being less likely to click the icon.

The other reason is that we associate "down" with bad stuff and up with positive things.

You got expressions all over the place such as, Thumbs up, boost, increase, raise.

And for down you have negative associations, such as down the drain, thumb down.

This leads to people getting less likley to click themselves forward, since instead of a tempting positive icon, that males you want to click it. 

They get a negative feeling from the icon.

So a simple thing like changing the icon to point right or up would make a positive change.

maximka02-17-2011 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spline (Post 12829)
    Telnic needs to make the icons colorless, I would go for white with a black dropshadow or something, because otherwise they lock the users into having to chose colors that goes with the icon colors.

[size]
    The same thing is with Telnic's logo: it also locks users to some colors. Definitely, there should be an option to remove that logo.

Quote:
    [/size]

Originally Posted by spline (Post 12829)
    Third and this is something that is very important.

The Goto icons should really change the arrow to point up or to the right.

[size]
    A year ago we even had shown Telnic a picture with Goto icons arrows pointed rightwards - and nothing had changed:http://telnic.org/forum/showpost.php...8&postcount=29 :)[/size]

dottel02-17-2011 10:05 AM

yeah
    $$$$ for one of design?

no offense to the designers but really $$$$ can do alottt better than any of these entries

AJV USA02-17-2011 03:04 PM

201 is the best overall design IMHO. This statement from another thread shows why:

Quote:

It's going to take 4 basic things done well for .tel to blossom to that level.

1. It's Position on the Internet Realized (phonebook of listings vs. googlebook of websites)
    2. It's Position Success (Successful TelPages Global Directory)
    3. It's Listing Success, Personal or Business (TelPage Style / Registrant Value)
    4. Ease of Use (Wizard, Etc.)

[size]
    The 201 design is one of the best listings for personal or business I've seen on the internet. Better than FaceBook or MySpace or Yellow Pages or Linkedin or Google Local or ....

If somebody is going to support .tel it's going to take the above understanding and this design can help 1, 2, and 3 above greatly. If this design were the "one" launched 2 years ago, you would have a significantly greater number of registrations and renewals today.

:)[/size]

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)02-17-2011 04:04 PM

Whichever design is picked, please include collapsible sections as found in 194 and allow a default state of hidden or shown to be set per section .
    Mark

maximka02-17-2011 04:36 PM

As we know, ICANN allowed Telnic to have avatars of size not bigger then 78 x 78 pixels. Design #201 has been created for avatars of the size bigger that 78x78 pixels. I think that because of that it does not fit requirements of this competition. 

If author of this design will resize it, then it will be not the Design #201, which was submitted for competition. After the end of competition usually it is forbidden to submit new designs or to amend already submitted. So, by my opinion, following principles of fair competition the Design #201 should be disqualified.

On the picture bellow you can see the avatar of size 78x78 put in this design.

http://litvo.webasyst.net/photos/ful...b86382022c8b79

Also we use for avatars images on transparent ground. Here we can see how such image will look at this design (if we will put it on white ground).

http://litvo.webasyst.net/photos/ful...3d220edd6d3918

And here we can see how such image will look at this design if we will put it on header’s color. For me personally it looks quite oddly.

http://litvo.webasyst.net/photos/ful...1a477b1a20f182

telrific02-17-2011 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJV USA (Post 12845)
    201 is the best overall design IMHO. This statement from another thread shows why:

The 201 design is one of the best listings for personal or business I've seen on the internet. Better than FaceBook or MySpace or Yellow Pages or Linkedin or Google Local or ....

If somebody is going to support .tel it's going to take the above understanding and this design can help 1, 2, and 3 above greatly. If this design were the "one" launched 2 years ago, you would have a significantly greater number of registrations and renewals today.

[size]
    It may need some brushing up for practical reasons, but that certainly sums up it's broader value, and like you said, a better template than any of the above.

I see significant demand for .tel from here on out if #201 is implemented ... and the sooner the better !

Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

Only 1 new template? Empty Re: Only 1 new template?

Post by Telnic 2014-12-31, 6:36 pm

maximka02-17-2011 10:48 PM

If Telnic have a right to use and (amend) all the designs submitted to that competition, then, perhaps, it would be quite good. It is possible to "repair" some of those designs and to make from them enough big gallery. May be they will not fit for the taste of everyone but for many. The important thing is that in Telhosting panel there would be many templates possible to choose from.

AJV USA02-18-2011 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by telrific (Post 12855)
    ... I see significant demand for .tel from here on out if #201 is implemented ... and the sooner the better !

[size]
    The "Listing" quality is key because all the others (FaceBook, YP, Etc.) are free, so no one expects much because they're not paying for anything. 
    .TEL on the other hand has to have a quality listing that makes it worth paying for. 

No .TEL template to date has been worth paying for until now. 201 is something that you would pay for. 
    It is a bit more complicated and yet appealing in design, so worth a little money.

All the other designs say "free" "cheap" "website". 201 says "quality" "listing", and that's the difference that people will pay for.

telrific02-18-2011 06:05 PM

.TEL and TelPages success all boils down to this:

Quote:

It's going to take 4 basic things done well for .tel to blossom to that level.

1. It's Position on the Internet Realized (phonebook of listings vs. googlebook of websites)

[size]
    - The most important point of .TEL just hasn't gotten across to the public in general, and to many in this forum.
    - When the public does get it, the .TEL Page and TelPages Directory doesn't follow through.

Quote:
    [/size]

Domain Name = Website = Google = .TEL absorbs

[size]
    As CEO Kash has repeatedly said since day one - "It's NOT a Website !

Nor is it supposed to be ... So, when someone thinks website, you say:

Quote:
    [/size]

WRONG

Domain Name = Listing = TelPages = .TEL Great

[size]
    Not only does this have to be the message by everyone, to everyone, for everyone - the .TEL Page and the TelPages Directory has to follow through.

The elements:

Domain Name = Listing = TelPages = .TEL Great

A. Domain Name and Listing (Worth Paying For)
    B. TelPages Directory

NOT This:

A. Domain Name and Cheap, Mobile Website
    B. Cheap, Mobile Website Directory

Bottom Line:

If you want a Website, great, that's why Millions Of YellowPages Customers have them,
    IN ADDITION TO THEIR LISTING OF BASIC INFORMATION ACROSS ALL DEVICES.

Maybe we can at least see that .TEL and TelPages is not supposed to be 
    a Google of Mobile Websites and 1,000 template designs already !

Personally, my opinion is "get rid of all templates except #201 and let TelPages be successful for what it is intended to be ! "

:o[/size]

AJV USA02-18-2011 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by telrific (Post 12864)

Bottom Line:

If you want a Website, great, that's why Millions Of YellowPages Customers have them,
    IN ADDITION TO THEIR LISTING OF BASIC INFORMATION ACROSS ALL DEVICES.

Maybe we can at least see that .TEL and TelPages is not supposed to be 
    a Google of Mobile Websites and 1,000 template designs already !

Personally, my opinion is "get rid of all templates except #201 and let TelPages be successful for what it is intended to be ! "

[size]
    Actually, I didn't agree with this at first, but you're actually right.

It's like the story of the Ugly Duckling, only in reverse.

Hope this link works for everyone if you're not familiar with the story: http://hca.gilead.org.il/ugly_duc.html

In .TEL's case everyone is trying to make a Duck feel appreciated in a group of swans.

We should all appreciate that .TEL is a Duck, and that Ducks are actually beautiful and worthwhile animals too, even better than swans in many respects !

telrific02-18-2011 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJV USA (Post 12865)
    Actually, I didn't agree with this at first, but you're actually right.

It's like the story of the Ugly Duckling, only in reverse.

Hope this link works for everyone if you're not familiar with the story: http://hca.gilead.org.il/ugly_duc.html

In .TEL's case everyone is trying to make a Duck feel appreciated in a group of swans.

We should all appreciate that .TEL is a Duck, and that Ducks are actually beautiful and worthwhile animals too, even better than swans in many respects !

[size]
    Good comparison, and thank you for that.

I can appreciate that everyone wants their Individual or Business to look like a Swan to the world.

But unfortunately not everyone is interested in a Swan all the time.

Millions of Devices connect to the Internet and to Individual and Business information everyday.

Wading through the Swans of Google and 1,100 tld's is what makes a Duck special, and the Duck information it holds.

Enough with the comparison I guess, but Ducks are more valuable to more devices in truth.

If the Swan/Duck thing is getting old how much more than the Swan Song of template cries ?

;)[/size]

telrific02-18-2011 08:33 PM

Think back to Mar 23, 2009 ....

"Sight Unseen" .TEL and TelPages was a huge success as a .TEL Domain Name Personal/White Or Business/Yellow Listing In A TelPages Global Phonebook/Directory.

Since then ...

"Sight Seen" and it's not the same huge success, and many have or are walking away. Hmmm.

However ...

"Grasping at straws" for "Swans" may appeal to the "Sight Seen" issue, but it should never take away from the "Sight Unseen" principles, and should never confuse or abandon its position on the Internet as a "Phonebook of Listings" vs. a "Googlebook of Websites".

One good "Duck" Listing was all that was ever needed, and #201 approaches that finally.

Now the focus should be One good "Duck" Directory.

NEVER has there been a "Sight Seen" "Duck" that was just "ONE of each" (Duck Page / Duck Directory)
    that was expected by hundreds of thousands of PAYING customers expecting delivery on a promise made years ago.

We've seen only "Pigeons" of each, after 2 years, and feel like Pigeons ourselves now.

Can't we just focus and deliver on the "Sight Unseen" principles simply and effectively to start ???? But with something other than Pigeons ???

#201 is a great "Duck" that represents the "Sight Unseen" principles.

Match it with a great "Duck" Directory and you've got Success to build on.

Build on that Success if you must, but at least give us ONE GOOD MATCHING SET OF DUCKS !

We do finally have one good set of matching Pigeons, now bring it up a notch !

Please.

#201 is a good start and we know you're trying !!!

dialaroom02-18-2011 09:10 PM

Not too sure about the duck analogy, there are some pretty wierd looking ducks out there. However, I understand it and have always thought .tel needed a uniform. 

One of the things that attracted me in the beginning was how everyone would take one look and know it was a .tel. I've always believed the only way .tel will become as well known as .com is to have a unique but uniform appearance.

I know a lot of .tellers disagree and think that .tel should be able to do everything a web based site can be, it never will be able to. Nor would I want it to or I would just build a .com. 

The dns technology behind .tel is what matters. The delivery of fast data to mobile devices is the future, with smartphones, tablets and other handheld devices becoming the norm.

With internet access speeds increasing, blurring the difference between web based and dns delivery speeds my vote would go to the fastest rendering template design.

I'm talking more Mallard than Muscovy.

telrific02-18-2011 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dialaroom (Post 12874)
    Not too sure about the duck analogy, there are some pretty wierd looking ducks out there. However, I understand it and have always thought .tel needed a uniform. 

One of the things that attracted me in the beginning was how everyone would take one look and know it was a .tel. I've always believed the only way .tel will become as well known as .com is to have a unique but uniform appearance.

I know a lot of .tellers disagree and think that .tel should be able to do everything a web based site can be, it never will be able to. Nor would I want it to or I would just build a .com. 

The dns technology behind .tel is what matters. The delivery of fast data to mobile devices is the future, with smartphones, tablets and other handheld devices becoming the norm.

With internet access speeds increasing, blurring the difference between web based and dns delivery speeds my vote would go to the fastest rendering template design.

I'm talking more Mallard than Muscovy.

[size]
    Beautifully put on all points ! I'm thinking Mallard myself when using the "Duck" speak.

I've actually seen ugly Swans too, so ...

telrific02-18-2011 10:13 PM

Here you go Steve ...

Take a look at this >>> Click Here For Picture

While listening to this >>> Click Here For Music

AJV USA02-18-2011 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by telrific (Post 12876)
    Here you go Steve ...

Take a look at this >>> Click Here For Picture

While listening to this >>> Click Here For Music

[size]
    Cute. And since that was too short a reply, Cute again.[/size]

AJV USA02-19-2011 03:45 AM

Quote:

... However, I understand it and have always thought .tel needed a uniform. 

With internet access speeds increasing, blurring the difference between web based and dns delivery speeds my vote would go to the fastest rendering template design ...

[size]
    The more I think about this, the more I understand and agree with the "one" principle.

My previous statement:

Quote:
    [/size]

[size]
    You don't see any of those offering a template gallery, or hearing complaints that they should ... 

:o[/size]

Cees02-19-2011 06:01 AM

BTW Duck season starts here in march.

telrific02-19-2011 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cees (Post 12880)
    BTW Duck season starts here in march.

[size]
    Haven't you heard ? It's been Duck season since ICANN approved .TEL ! What else is new ?

Those who dislike .TEL will keep shootin', but they keep missing !

Maybe they will just stop Duck hatin' !

spline02-19-2011 11:18 AM

Must say the two best are at the top.
    Though I personally also really like the way #126 looks.

Entry #210 looks very professional. As professional as you get.

The placement of the image makes it look very much like a personal contact page, 
    and very little like a company listing?

This could be changed by moving the image up?

It also looks very similar to facebook.
    Which is both good and bad. It draws from the credability of Facebook, on the other side it might give the feeling of, why should I pay when I can get facebook for free?

It would be great to see this with some other color schemes?

Entry 194

Draws quite much of its look from the fact that it has two big images and a custom white logo.

The bottom image also fits with the color going much in purple.

This affects the total impression making it look better.

If you remove the two images (lots of .tel wont have an image?) and the Font of the logo it will not look as interesting. 

However if we can have images something like that, 
    I still really like the rounded corners and the touch of gradient, very similar to a design I started sketching on.

As for colors, it would be quite limiting to be able to only change the purple?

Would also be nice to see both with some variation.

Still any of those would be very good.
    I also tend to agree that .tel should have a unique identity.

dottel.net02-19-2011 11:31 AM

Quote:

[size]
    And here lies the problem in my view... with mobile access speeds increasing and large data plans becoming the norm, I think the shift will be to more rich internet enabled apps and sites. A simple blazing fast page doesn't appeal to the masses. I can see the benefit of querying the dns for a quick lookup of data i.e. address, telephone number etc, but as a web delivery platform the masses go for the most visually appealing.[/size]

dialaroom02-19-2011 12:25 PM

The fair usage amounts on "large data plans" are getting smaller and smaller, with some of the limits being set, there is very little difference between a cap and a fair usage policy.

Stream a few videos on your phone and you'll soon smash through your monthly fair usage amount. Demand for data consumption is only likely to increase.

I still think a major USP of .tel is its speed. The masses can have whatever they want, in the right place.

dottel.net02-19-2011 12:31 PM

I also used to believe the USP was the speed when browsing a tel page, actually personally still think that's great.

Unfortunately the market (people we try and sell to), don't care or still don't appreciate this USP and when viewing a page/site on their phone or pc want the sizzle. Shame I know, but that's what our market feedback has told us.

maximka02-19-2011 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spline (Post 12883)
    Must say the two best are at the top.
    Though I personally also really like the way #126 looks.

[size]
    With all respect for template's designer, I think that buttons in two columns are not practical for TEL template because when you put 255 characters into them, then it will be difficult to read that text and it will occupy much more space comparing with present buttons.

Also, how it will look, if two buttons are placed together, and in one button there will be, for example, 255 characters and in the another 20 characters?

http://litvo.webasyst.net/photos/ful...0db0f940661210[/size]

Current date/time is 2024-05-06, 2:39 pm