The .TEL Community on the .TEL Domain Forum!

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

DotTel Total Registrations 1st October 2011 are now available...

Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

DotTel Total Registrations 1st October 2011 are now available... Empty DotTel Total Registrations 1st October 2011 are now available...

Post by Telnic 2015-01-01, 1:45 pm

mikeseaton10-01-2011 01:09 PM

DotTel Total Registrations 1st October 2011 are now available...

...at http://www.hosterstats.com/DomainNameCounts2011.php

Mike Seaton

telrific10-01-2011 01:25 PM

Good to see another uptick no matter how small.

My contribution as promised.

Registrations.tel

mikeseaton10-02-2011 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by telrific (Post 17897)
    Good to see another uptick no matter how small.

[size]
    Agreed, but being realistic it does seem that .tel has currently plateaued at approx 300K - here are the monthly figures from the beginning of the year:

250,550 - 1 Jan
    274,042 - 1 Feb
    333,891 - 1 Mar
    326,805 - 1 Apr
    314,061 - 1 May
    297,058 - 1 Jun
    296,158 - 1 Jul
    293,455 - 1 Aug
    297,325 - 1 Sep
    298,646 - 1 Oct

Be interesting to know how many individual people these domain totals represents, since the "critical mass" for Phase 2 Dial/Email/Skype By Name will of course depend on this rather than the total number of domain registrations.

Mike Seaton[/size]

Cees10-04-2011 10:49 AM

Also means their is a huge upside:)

telrific10-04-2011 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jens (Post 17961)
    First of all it means currently there is only a small number of people owning a .tel domain since most .tel domain investors have a portfolio or own at least several .tel domains.

[size]
    There are still many, many good people with personal .tel domain names.

PeoplePlace.tel is dedicated to personal .tel domains only.

Haven't even completed adding everyone and the PeoplePlace spotlight shows them everyday !

Many are not exactly impressive in design, but the new templates, if they are more than an enticing rumor, 
    will be a significant incentive for many to claim ownership and use.

:)[/size]

telrific10-04-2011 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jens (Post 17963)
    I would be interested in numbers:

• How many .tel domains are personal domains?
    • How many .tel domains are owned by cooperations?
    • How many .tel domains are owned by cooperations and in use?
    • How many .tel domains are owned by domain investors?
    • How many .tel domains are even populated?

[size]

I guess Mark with his excellent tools could answer these questions, but if we know the exact percentages it wouldn't give a good impression to this TLD.
    So perhaps it is better not to know.

[/size]

[size]
    I can vouch that the personal registrants are the users, and there are thousands.

Having said that, even if there are 2,000 out of 300,000 it's less than 1%.

This is exactly what is to be expected as the industry has shown for decades.

Yellow Pages (Business) is 99+% of paying customers.
    White Pages (Individuals) is less than 1% of paying customers.

TelPages and .TEL has to realize this and take the same approach.

YellowNames.com is exactly the 'type' of focus that can drive TelPages globally.
    PeoplePlace.tel is exactly the 'type' of 'Facebook Style' that can drive Individual use.

Templates are critical either way.
    Rich Content is the major business feature thereafter.

See a typical Business choosing to promote itself both ways:

Yellowbook Listing In Yellowbook - Farmers Bank

Yellowbook Listing In TelPages - Farmers Bank

The .TEL version is cleaner in my honest opionion, but the "TelPages Plus" rich features that are needed died with Telnic a couple of years ago, at least to date.

We have communicated this for 3 years, with slow and reluctant change in that direction since.

User-controlled graphics are helping tremendously using the Image Ad Tools - CINCI.CO

What is needed to "keep up" is what TelPages Plus suggested years ago - the pinnacle of advertising - Video, embedded.

We have worked to encourage Telnic to support embedded video so that we could launch the next "Big Thing" - the "TELmercial".

Since it's a pending and protected U.S. Trademark I'll go ahead and show the idea.

This can help vendors and .TEL tremendously if supported:

www.TELmercial.tel

:o[/size]

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)10-04-2011 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jens (Post 17963)
    I would be interested in numbers:
    I guess Mark with his excellent tools could answer these questions, but if we know the exact percentages it wouldn't give a good impression to this TLD.
    So perhaps it is better not to know.

[size]
    Yes better not to know how low the numbers are. I used to keep track, but no longer do. I have an algorithm to judge how populated a domain is but would take days to get through all the tels. Many personal domains have dropped as the single point of contact is not a huge seller of this TLD. As per my posts yday and months ago, the selling points have changed. For online directories it should be seen as the single SOURCE of contact. For small business it's all about local discovery and competitive advantage. When someone can get these points across, then there will be more uptake.

Mark[/size]

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)10-04-2011 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by telrific (Post 17964)
    We have communicated this for 3 years, with slow and reluctant change in that direction since. ...

[size]
    Telnic doesn't listen to us most of the time, that's clear as it goes it's own way without accepting important input from its key focus group. Improvements to support richer content are needed. Improvements to facilitate local mapping are needed. Anything to allow this TLD to compete with all the free offerings are needed. Marketing is non-existent while people still don't understand this TLD. Let's hope Telnic is convincing YP companies on its power. 

Mark[/size]

telrific10-04-2011 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Kolb (Kprobe) (Post 17965)
    For online directories it should be seen as the single SOURCE of contact.

[size]
    That's the entire point to begin with, the GLOBAL directory, where global is both the geographical definition and the initial contact point (beginning of beginnings) definition.

Quote:
    [/size]

Originally Posted by Mark Kolb (Kprobe) (Post 17965)
    For small business it's all about local discovery and competitive advantage. When someone can get these points across, then there will be more uptake.

Mark

[size]
    Yes, except it's all about GLOCAL discovery, where a Global advantage ( like Shopzilla for example ) is the key to a competitive shopping arena, AND a Local advantage, where those in need within a radius is also necessary at times, are BOTH critical.

TelPages should be the PERFECT GLOCAL DIRECTORY.

It should take a business - global, local, brick, virtual - and encourage it's presence.

ENCOURAGING it's presence means giving the REGISTRANT the tools to make it look it's best.

If I feel great about my Business presence, I will direct you there and you will go there.

If I feel my presence is a disgrace, I will direct you elsewhere.

We have talked about the "one great idea" that people can use with .tel as an advanced technology.

Well, if it's about me feeling good about my presence, it will need a TELmercial.

Obviously a play on a Commercial, it actually places .tel ABOVE .com, because a COMmercial is generally associated with TV where you can't "Click To Call or Visit" on-screen.

A "TELmercial" on the other hand gives you just what it says - a BETTER presence.

.TEL and TELmercials across all "smart" devices is a technological advancement and better presence - .TEL over .COM and .TV !

Let the other listings catch up, just like Yellow Pages, Yellowbook, Yell, Yelp ... but let .TEL and TelPages Directory lead the way !

:eek:[/size]

mikeseaton10-04-2011 07:23 PM

Like many other posters I'm beginning to change my view about the future of the .tel extension.

The idea of Dial-By-Name from the Keypad is great, but from the information that is being released I don't think it will actually happen in the forseeable future (I would be delighted to be proved wrong on this !) for the following reasons:

1. Take up of .tel domains is too low to be of interest to Telcos and/or phone manufacturers to modify their systems. A domain plateau of 300K appears to have been reached, but only a percentage of this 300K is individuals or companies - many people (myself included) own a significant number of .tels.

2. It's difficult to identify a clear financial incentive for Telcos and/or phone manufacturers to do the mods necessary for .tel - the phrase "What's in it for me?" is likely to cross their lips.

3. Dial-By-Name from the Keypad is by its very nature more or less a universal product - there is only really room for one major player and companies like Facebook, Google, Skype etc. have millions of existing users they could offer it to if they developed their own solution.

4. Dial-By-Name from the Address Bar (eg http://henri.teldial.com) is available now and gives you the opportunity to see the phone number before it is dialed - essential for user confidence re the call cost.

5. The Telcos may well be already developing their own Dial-By-Name from the Keypad system.

But .tel can have a great future if you consider what it can offer:

1. A low-cost internet presence for both individuals and businesses, which works seamlessly on all internet devices, whereby registration, hosting and software to update your .tel (via the CTH) is available for an unbelievably low price of about $10 per year.

2. The facility for the DNS data to be used as a master source for all directory information displayed by online directories, as Mark has suggested.

3. The ability of .tel users to input data to their .tel (from computers or mobile phones) that is machine readable - an example use could be controlling CCTV remotely via the internet - all that would be needed is for the CCTV software to read your .tel DNS data.

4. Many other uses that stem from the fact that .tels enable users to input machine readable data to the DNS easily and quickly.

I still believe there will be an active .tel extension in 10 years time - whether owned by Telnic or some major company that has made them an offer they couldn't refuse !

Mike Seaton

telrific10-04-2011 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeseaton (Post 17981)
    ... But .tel can have a great future if you consider what it can offer:

1. A low-cost internet presence for both individuals and businesses, which works seamlessly on all internet devices, whereby registration, hosting and software to update your .tel (via the CTH) is available for an unbelievably low price of about $10 per year.

[size]
    Your number 1. above says what the focus should be, while the rest develops over time "behind the scenes".

I go back to the analogy and reference of a "Library" and "Card Catalog":

Websites are like Books on the Shelves, and Listings are like Cards in the Card Catalog.

No matter what Google and all other TLD's do, they will be associated with Websites, i.e. Books.

No matter what TelPages and future TLD's acting like .TEL do, they will be associated with Listings, i.e. Cards.
    (.TEL being the .COM of Cards, and TelPages being the Original Domain Name Card Catalogue we have the upper hand today.)

- Websites will compete to be the best "Books" in the Library, as they always do.
    - Listings will compete to be the best "Cards" in the Card Catalog, this we must do.

People will use and appreciate both Cards and Books, as they always have, and there will be both as a matter of intelligent necessity.

Telnic should focus on being the "Best Original Card" and "Original Domain Name Card Catalog" that it can be.

This includes ideas like the TELmercial which will attract Card Catalog users to .TEL and TelPages as a better "Card" presence.

The magic behind the scenes will develop thereafter. 

First things first, .TEL as a better "Card" and TelPages as a better organized "Card Catalog".

telrific10-04-2011 08:36 PM

http://www.4localtv.com/cards.jpg

http://www.4localtv.com/books.jpg

telrific10-05-2011 01:37 PM

Registrations and Reality

"Telpages Global Directory" and a ".TEL page" (with Text, Graphics, and Video displayed as compatible with Devices)
    to show the best "Card" presence on the Internet is the Reality of .TEL Registration Pass or Fail from the desireable Registrant standpoint.

1. Focus on the "Single Source" - TelPages Glocal Search and Results/Display structure.
    2. Focus on the "Single Listing" - .TEL Registrant Presence and Rich Expression.

The Message Concept Was Simple - "One Global Directory, Get In It."

This is why everyone jumped on the Bandwagon in 2008-2009, and jumps off when it doesn't measure up on either of Two Simple concepts ... still.

People simply want a GOOD REFLECTION of themselves in a PUBLIC VENUE.

A .TEL complete with a TELmercial becomes the pinnacle of a GOOD REFLECTION for a .TEL "Card" Registrant - All should strive to reach for this.

TelPages results becomes the PUBLIC VENUE of choice Glocally - All should strive to reach for this.

Simple ... still.

tel4rent10-05-2011 05:14 PM

telrific!

I really like what you did here. Well done.

telrific10-05-2011 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tel4rent (Post 18017)
    telrific!

I really like what you did here. Well done.

[size]
    Thank you very much for the kind words.

telrific10-06-2011 02:15 PM

Bottom Line Reality ...

The Reality We Face:

A. I Can Get A FREE Page or Website That Is Better.
    B. I Can Get A Free Page or Website In A DIRECTORY That Is Better.
    C. .TEL Is NOT The Answer And TelPages Is NOT The Answer.

The Reality We Desire:

A. I WANT To Get A PAID Page or Website BECAUSE It Is BETTER.
    B. I WANT To Get A PAID Page or Website In A DIRECTORY Because It Is BETTER.
    C. .TEL IS The Answer And TelPages IS The Answer.

So, What Makes The Desireable Scenario True ?

Not Much In 3 Years For .TEL !

What Will Make The Desireable Scenario True ?

We Might Focus On Who Is Getting Paid, and Do Better Than They Are !

Hmmm ... We say we are but,

A Better Page That Is Paid For Includes A Better Template That Beats The Free And Paid Pages - Better Than Facebook And Better Than Yellow Pages - Are We There Yet ?

A Better Page That Is Paid For Includes A Better Action That Beats The Free And Paid Pages - Better Than Facebook And Better Than Yellow Pages - Are We There Yet ?

If Anyone can have a Website that does more, why are many still using Facebook and Yellow Pages, and why is Facebook and Yellow Pages used in the above statements versus Websites in general when it comes to templates and actions ?

A BETTER DIRECTORY IS WHY - So We Need A Better TelPages with better Results Display that LEADS to the better Page.

We can ALWAYS pull the Text out for less compatible devices.

We MUST include the BETTER options to get "THE PAID ANSWER IS .TEL AND TELPAGES" !

Are We There Yet ?

telrific10-07-2011 04:41 PM

Seriously ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by telrific (Post 18052)

A Better Page That Is Paid For Includes A Better Action That Beats The Free And Paid Pages - Better Than Facebook And Better Than Yellow Pages - Are We There Yet ?

[size]

Quote:
    [/size]

Originally Posted by telrific (Post 18052)

If Anyone can have a Website that does more, why are many still using Facebook and Yellow Pages, and why is Facebook and Yellow Pages used in the above statements versus Websites in general when it comes to templates and actions ?

A BETTER DIRECTORY IS WHY - So We Need A Better TelPages with better Results Display that LEADS to the better Page ... Are We There Yet ?

[size]

The following will actually get it done !

1. Get TELmercials mainstream as the "better action" and better reflection of companies everywhere.
    2. Get TelPages mainstream as the "better action directory" of companies everywhere.

The rest will be extremely valuable support, from "click-to-call" to "mapping tools" to "DNS use", but the TELmercials will be the driver of the "R2D2 and Princess Leia" technology for everyday use that people will seek !

Remember this scene from Star Wars ? 

TELmercials can be the "TWEET" that's in "TWITTER", and the "FACE" that's in "FACEBOOK" that make .TEL and TelPages winners !

telrific10-12-2011 05:54 PM

Can you find it ?

So, if you Google the soon to be famous "TELmercial", how does it rank in your Country already ?

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)10-12-2011 06:36 PM

#1 google.ca and very nice you trademarked it too!
    Mark

telrific10-12-2011 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Kolb (Kprobe) (Post 18259)
    #1 google.ca and very nice you trademarked it too!
    Mark

[size]
    Thanks Mark ! Great to hear ! It's #1 in the USA, but that was all I could verify from here for certain.

It was such a perfect name for what is certain to be an eventual success - I couldn't resist !

Trademark is pending, but the name TELmercial will stick for a .TEL regardless !

I have seen the "drive to video on listings" becoming more and more in demand across the U.S.,
    but the problem is that often a service is needed to produce a professional one cost effectively.

Pay for it once, run it for life - all on your .TEL and regardless of Text and Graphics changes !

I don't know if you're familiar with Livemercial, but this gentleman has generated billions using direct response marketing.

No competition as we don't do what they do obviously, we just produce borderless video and video banner ads for .TEL domains, 
    but there is no doubt that people "checking out" business videos to get a glimpse is very popular already !

They don't corner the market on video / banner ads on the internet, that's for sure !

Hopefully we'll see it sooner rather than later as a popular option for .TEL !

Already support both Flash and HTML5, so we're ready on this end !

Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

DotTel Total Registrations 1st October 2011 are now available... Empty Re: DotTel Total Registrations 1st October 2011 are now available...

Post by Telnic 2015-01-01, 1:45 pm

Simon G10-12-2011 09:28 PM

.com number 1
    Sample. Telmercial.com number 2
    .tel number 3

telrific10-12-2011 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon G (Post 18261)
    .com number 1
    Sample. Telmercial.com number 2
    .tel number 3

[size]
    Awesome ! Thanks Simon G !

It's looking like TELmercial as a "vehicle term" for a .TEL option is very good so far.

It's good incentive for "Buzz" when you have the video option. YouTube knows.

telrific10-13-2011 08:47 PM

Seriously ... still

On the topic of .TEL registrations and the TELmercial as a great driver ... don't take it from me:

http://creativezone.mediamind.com/Blog/index.php/2011/01/06/emarketer-online-ad-spending-surpasses-newspaper-advertising/

Click through rates on Video ads are 10x-50x Graphic ads !

:eek:

Note: Direct Response Video Ads More Successful ... Exactly what .TEL Registrants and Potential .TEL Registrants are looking for.

Current date/time is 2024-05-19, 9:08 pm