The .TEL Community on the .TEL Domain Forum!

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

Without marketing will .Tel be lost in the new TLDs?

Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

Without marketing will .Tel be lost in the new TLDs? Empty Without marketing will .Tel be lost in the new TLDs?

Post by Telnic 2015-01-01, 2:40 pm

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)06-07-2012 05:22 PM

Without marketing will .Tel be lost in the new TLDs?

http://domainnamewire.com/2012/06/07...for-domainers/
    Mark

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)06-07-2012 06:29 PM

An interesting evaluation that would benefit .Tel through consumer awareness ...
    In the next 24 months, the general public is going to see an unprecedented wave of messaging about these new TLDs, and that means people around the world are going to end up paying more attention to domain names *in general* and what’s to the right of the dot.
    Mark

Alex06-07-2012 08:01 PM

Some marketing for .tel has happened here.

Unfortunately it had no impact at all!

wibblenut06-07-2012 08:36 PM

The best hope for .tel now is probably an acquisition (by the right company - not another registry).

Alex06-07-2012 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wibblenut (Post 24347)
    The best hope for .tel now is probably an acquisition (by the right company - not another registry).

[size]
    100 % true! In that case we could expect the development activity for .tel would be reactivated.

But who will approach Apple, Facebook, Google or Microsoft?[/size]

Alex06-08-2012 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex (Post 24359)
    But who will approach Apple, Facebook, Google or Microsoft?

[size]
    ... or AT&T / Vodafone and so on?[/size]

wibblenut06-08-2012 12:35 AM

Most likely outcome is that it continues to stall for another year or two before a bigger registry operator acquires it, and then phases it into becoming a general purpose TLD (remember the ".tel" string itself is actually pretty darn good!).

Or maybe Telnic can pull something out of the hat at the last minute in a typically British "Dad's Army" sort of way

Gibran06-08-2012 05:18 AM

In the meantime it would be useful for us to get Tel out there by partnering with small businesses, charities, local church etc to get their Tel going. I have done it with a few small businesses, and now looking to get a few names for a charity and a couple of churches and I plan to set it up for them without charge. 
    I recently partnered with a local business and provided an ad campaign landing page service using a Tel, (again for free) just to build the awareness. They distributed 140,000 flyers with the Tel on it.
    See justperfect.tel. The URL was QR coded. People need to know Tel, so we enthusiasts have to help change it from .what? To .tel
    My two cents

telrific06-08-2012 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gibran (Post 24362)
    In the meantime it would be useful for us to get Tel out there by partnering with small businesses, charities, local church etc to get their Tel going. I have done it with a few small businesses, and now looking to get a few names for a charity and a couple of churches and I plan to set it up for them without charge. 
    I recently partnered with a local business and provided an ad campaign landing page service using a Tel, (again for free) just to build the awareness. They distributed 140,000 flyers with the Tel on it.
    See justperfect.tel. The URL was QR coded. People need to know Tel, so we enthusiasts have to help change it from .what? To .tel
    My two cents

[size]
    Very Nice ! ( The page and the 140,000 flyer distribution )

It would be interesting to hear about the response rate from the Business.

:)[/size]

telrific06-08-2012 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Kolb (Kprobe) (Post 24340)
    http://domainnamewire.com/2012/06/07...for-domainers/
    Mark

[size]
    Great article Mark, and a very good topic for discussion.

Two things could end up coming out of this I would say:

1. The additional tld onlslaught strengthens the position of the original tlds (.com, .net, .org) as the other 1,200 tld's did.
    2. Being that many of these "new" tld's coming out are not "structural" in nature, they could break the "original mold" once and for all ( .tel should hope for 2. greatly. )

"structural" is used to refer to a "categorical" (.edu) need versus "anything" (.goop) people might want.

We currently have .com to .xxx and .uk to .(idn), but truly commercial names could break the mold once and for all, just as this entire process with ICANN was intended to do.

.zippo .yp .jim .cardinal .citi .microsoft .ford .mcdonalds .avon

Suddenly .com, .net, .org doesn't mean anything if the big players abandon the "originals" for their own tld ! :eek:

ULTIMATELY THIS MAKES AN EVEN GREATER CASE FOR .TEL AS A MASTER ADDRESS WITH A MASTER DIRECTORY !

(See www.masteraddress.org for those not up to speed with this reality. YP.com and Facebook.com are high traffic sites because of the "chaos" that Google style, "anything goes" results give.)

".com and the orginals" will then no longer be the "master address tld of choice", and the only REAL tld designed as a master address and master directory across all devices (.tel and telpages) has that much more of a reason to prevail in the ensuing chaos.

.TEL is truly the original of "master addresses" with it's own "master directory" because of its limited page structure and directory exclusivity. ( aka its "purpose" by ICANN )

The first commercial search engines all included .com, .net, .org, and created confusion, which exists even today - and now it will be times thousands more tld's !

What we finally have coming to fruition could be the statements made about the "cart and the horse" and the "truck and the trailer" with .tel years ago .. >> here <<

.TEL and TELPAGES is the "horse" that finally has the ability to pull the "cart of other .tld's around".

Another analogy used is that .TEL is the "Card Catalog" for the "Internet Library".

Any way you look at it, .TEL has the opportunity to lead the way as the starting point in the chaos if 2. above is correct. Yellow/White Pages is/was the way out of chaos for local, Facebook is the popular way out today for people and businesses, and now maybe TelPages and .TEL pages can capitalize on the way of the future, and the ALL-TIME original in its class with the respect it deserves.

:cool:

added: The "single page" structure and the "front page only" structure with the original style is critical for .TEL and TelPages success ultimately. The subdomains and long-tail benefits indexed in Google or whoever was only a sideline or secondary benefit all along, even if key.[/size]

telrific06-08-2012 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex (Post 24344)
    Some marketing for .tel has happened here.

Unfortunately it had no impact at all!

[size]
    Have to take the TelPages approach more serious, still.

:o[/size]

TELcp06-08-2012 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by telrific (Post 24373)
    Have to take the TelPages approach more serious, still.

[size]
    If TelPages is not going to do that job for us then someone else will start a similar telpage search engine. 

How about an exclusive tel page search engine ONLY TO INDEX THE SUB DOMAINS ?
    Leaving the root out!

It will index only the populated tel domains.[/size]

telrific06-08-2012 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TELcp (Post 24377)
    If TelPages is not going to do that job for us then someone else will start a similar telpage search engine. 

How about an exclusive tel page search engine ONLY TO INDEX THE SUB DOMAINS ?
    Leaving the root out!

It will index only the populated tel domains.

[size]
    I think it's called Google !

added: plus Telnic would be out of business, only to sell 43 domains with 12,900,000 records and a sub-domain directory. (not good)

added again: subdomainers keep fighting for content, and that's fine, but .tel is not about a few trees or their size and structure, .tel is about how many trees in the forest called TelPages directory just like Facebook. You go talk to 900,000,000 Facebook users and tell them Facebook is not successful because many pages absorb. The whole world will laugh at that notion - focus on forest is the key, not the trees or their branches, even if it can have good value to some ... still.

;)[/size]

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)06-08-2012 01:03 PM

Yes .Tel should be everyone's "Master Address". A site like MasterAddress.org could be used to market the concept. Bookmarking your master address so that browser applications can find relevant information perhaps via raw DNS associated with your .Tel or via HCard formatting is a start. Login via your .Tel instead of Facebook or Twitter - that's the future. This provides a platform-independent method that is not tied with any specific social network. Use standard DNS data, commonly available to all networks. This is the prospect for .Tel.
    Mark

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)06-08-2012 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by telrific (Post 24378)
    I think it's called Google !

added: plus Telnic would be out of business, only to sell 43 domains with 12,900,000 records and a sub-domain directory. (not good)

[size]
    Totally agree. Directory owners have to think differently. If you are building huge networks of subdomains, then each subdomain should be used to sell a .tel and then link to it. Use that platform as your vehicle for YOU to sell more .tel domains. Don't sell subdomains as THE master addreses. You can make money by selling actual domains and then provide optional services to populate them on behalf of the new owners. Sell advertising on subdomains or provide links to .tel domains.

I have thought about this and I have been down this road too for all kinds of directories.

I've collected a small set of surnames thinking that using them will provide benefit to those who want a lastname identity. Instead give them a free spot to hold MINIMAL information with a link to their full .tel. Either could be used. The benefit to the owner is they get to reserve the subdomain as a placeholder and you can sell up to 100 .tel domains per subdomain (eg 100 John.Smith.tel links in that subdomain - more John's will benefit, instead of just one). The free link gives them a little extra juice, but the sale of the .tel and the service afterwards might be the ticket.

The same holds true for other kinds of directories. Give business owners links from your categorized subdomains to their business .TELs. This holds even more promise since a business requires much more content. Provide a service that builds the content on behalf of the new owner. Here's my service (a start) for those SMB's I sell.

Creating massive directories of names etc will not benefit this TLD or Telnic. Telnic needs us to sell INDIVIDUAL .tel domains and with our growing assets we can help sell more to make the public aware. Use our assets to market and create awareness, not to stockpile. Give people links from your assets to newly sold domains. Share and open your assets. IMO, this is what will help expand awareness.

Mark[/size]

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)06-08-2012 01:38 PM

BTW, if you start sharing directories in the manner described, you just might get Telnic to be more open to provide missing features and functionality. Everyone wins.
    Mark

telrific06-08-2012 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Kolb (Kprobe) (Post 24381)
    ... Give business owners links from your categorized subdomains to their business .TELs. This holds even more promise since a business requires much more content. Provide a service that builds the content on behalf of the new owner. Here's my service (a start) for those SMB's I sell ... Mark

[size]
    Without quoting everything great you wrote I wanted to compliment you on your service site. The samples are a great, broad representation, good stuff.

supercyberheroes06-08-2012 05:58 PM

Other thing that could create confusion with the new extensions of hundreds if not thousands is this: 
    . Microsoft everyone will know if Microsoft company, .London everyone will know if London city, etc, etc but .tel everyone will say is something that mean telephone, and that could be a strong advantage in our favor due that people will say is a phone directory. So, I would rather prefer that people think is a .telephone that telnic.

Regards
    http://supercyberheroes.tel

boracay.tel06-08-2012 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by supercyberheroes (Post 24387)
    everyone will say is something that mean telephone, and that could be a strong advantage in our favor due that people will say is a phone directory.
    http://supercyberheroes.tel

[size]
    Exactly.

Geezuz. Where are these new templates that were promised[/size]

telrific06-09-2012 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boracay.tel (Post 24389)
    Exactly.

Geezuz. Where are these new templates that were promised

[size]
    I second the first exactly and exactly your Geezuz as a second exactly.

Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

Without marketing will .Tel be lost in the new TLDs? Empty Re: Without marketing will .Tel be lost in the new TLDs?

Post by Telnic 2015-01-01, 2:40 pm

TELcp06-09-2012 07:11 AM

Thought of adding our comment here as we have few projects at hand developing sub domain structure based directory portfolios.

We are not developing tel based directories for fun. It is part of our business.
    We do offer free services (and they will remain as free services). That is also part of our business promotion.

In our portfolio of surname based directories, of course we want to make a good profit.
    And at the same time creating awareness for people to purchase 3 new tel domains for every sub domain we create. For instance, if we create "john.smith.tel" then we open the market for three other persons with name John. i.e. john.tel, johnsmith.tel & john-smith.tel. (if anyone interested few more as drjohnsmith.tel, dr-johnsmith, dr-john-smith, etc and in the case of "jane.smith.tel", one may add mrs-jane-smith, mrs-janesmith, etc).

Same thing goes with other directory portfolios.
    For instance, if we create "chemical.supplier.tel", then opening the market for chemicalsupplier.tel, chemical-supplier.tel, etc.

In fact, we plan to sell tel domains as a reseller (not decided which registrar but will consider the one with the best commission). 

But our own portfolios will be strictly without any advertisements.
    These pages will be ONLY for contact information.
    We would like to maintain the Telnic's original concept.

In fact, Telnic should consider increasing the number of sub domains allowed per domain in different pricing structure based on number of sub domains.

++++

TELcp06-09-2012 07:32 AM

Will .Tel be lost in the new TLDs?

NO.

telrific06-09-2012 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TELcp (Post 24399)
    ... We would like to maintain the Telnic's original concept...
    ++++

[size]
    I don't think that was what Telnic had in mind with subdomains, more to accomodate
    general and local geo directories, and businesses with multiple locations according to the original brochure !

Google says there are over 2,750,000 people named Smith in the U.S. alone - I don't that was ever meant to be a .tel directory !

:eek:[/size]

TELcp06-09-2012 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by telrific (Post 24402)
    Google says there are over 2,750,000 people named Smith in the U.S. alone - I don't that was ever meant to be a .tel directory !
    :eek:

[size]
    There is no restriction to the number of sub domains if you can have your own hosting service for your tel domains. There is NO limit as such. Then you will be able to provide a page each for all Smiths in the U.S. If that many people are interested getting a page like that, then we will definitely start our own tel domain hosting business. But first we must see if we can get 3->30->300->3000 then beyond 3000 (we have discussed this before, I think about 2 years ago). 2 years ago the technology was different and in 2 years from now different again, very much improved.

Beyond 3000 will be the proper tel directory service.

P.S. And when there is a search engine like telpages.com, people would not bother where the page is coming from. Who cares if it is a sub domain or a single page tel domain or the colour of the background. All they need from a tel directory is contact information.

:cool:[/size]

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)06-09-2012 02:23 PM

The problem with names on .Tel was discussed over 3 years ago even before .tel was activated. If you are John Smith, there are only a very limited number of variations on the same name with/without initials etc before you have to start using numbers. So direct to access 100,000 John Smiths via a directory is possible, but more likely on a .com because having such on a single .tel would be an impractical waste of resources. I think the subdomain name concept is valid only for a few and only after the firstnamelastname.tel sites are exhausted. Even if you did create your own Tel hosting to try to support a directory of names, the reality is that you'd still end up with John10001.smith.tel or 10001.John.Smith: nobody would buy a subdomain like that when they could buy JohnSmith10001.tel and manage it themselves. That is if there was that much interest in the first place. 
    Mark

telrific06-09-2012 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TELcp (Post 24409)
    There is no restriction to the number of sub domains if you can have your own hosting service for your tel domains. There is NO limit as such. Then you will be able to provide a page each for all Smiths in the U.S. If that many people are interested getting a page like that, then we will definitely start our own tel domain hosting business. But first we must see if we can get 3->30->300->3000 then beyond 3000 (we have discussed this before, I think about 2 years ago). 2 years ago the technology was different and in 2 years from now different again, very much improved.

Beyond 3000 will be the proper tel directory service.

P.S. And when there is a search engine like telpages.com, people would not bother where the page is coming from. Who cares if it is a sub domain or a single page tel domain or the colour of the background. All they need from a tel directory is contact information.

:cool:

[size]
    Oh, I'm sure you have your plan all figured out, my statement was simply referencing your plan versus Telnic's original concept. If it were Telnic's, the subdomains would be unlimited already, and that was simply never the case as they conveyed it.

:o[/size]

telrific06-09-2012 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Kolb (Kprobe) (Post 24410)
    The problem with names on .Tel was discussed over 3 years ago even before .tel was activated. If you are John Smith, there are only a very limited number of variations on the same name with/without initials etc before you have to start using numbers. So direct to access 100,000 John Smiths via a directory is possible, but more likely on a .com because having such on a single .tel would be an impractical waste of resources. I think the subdomain name concept is valid only for a few and only after the firstnamelastname.tel sites are exhausted. Even if you did create your own Tel hosting to try to support a directory of names, the reality is that you'd still end up with John10001.smith.tel or 10001.John.Smith: nobody would buy a subdomain like that when they could buy JohnSmith10001.tel and manage it themselves. That is if there was that much interest in the first place. 
    Mark

[size]
    TelPages would likely serve the domain owner over the subdomain owner as a practical matter anyway. It would list both, but would always likely serve JohnSmith10001.tel over 10001.John.Smith as a matter of self-preservation. Serving 43 domains with 12,900,000 records over 12,900,000 domains is just suicide for the business revenue.

:eek:[/size]

TELcp06-09-2012 06:22 PM

Lets make life little bit easier for John Smith (not all of them, but for the lucky few).

Assume our friend John Smith has "Andrew" as middle name.
    And should leave it for John A. Smith to decide which tel page he likes most.

JohnSmith.tel
    JohnAndrewSmith.tel

John-Smith.tel
    Jonh-Andrew-Smith.tel
    JohnAndrew-Smith.tel
    John-AndrewSmith.tel

JSmith.tel
    JASmith.tel

J-Smith.tel
    JA-Smith.tel
    J-A-Smith.tel

John.Smith.tel
    John-Andrew.Smith.tel
    John.Andrew.Smith.tel

J.Smith.tel
    J.A.Smith.tel

Initials are possible only with sub domains, therefore should consider them as Premium Sub Domains.

Then for John Smith in MyTown.

John.MyTown.tel (john@mytown.tel)
    JohnSmith.MyTown.tel (johnsmith@mytown.tel)
    JohnSmith.ParkStreet.MyTown.tel
    etc

OR

John.ParkStreet.tel (john@parkstreet.tel)
    JohnSmith.ParkStreet.tel (johnsmith@parkstreet.tel)

++++

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)06-09-2012 09:05 PM

@telcp then I suggest you dust off the qualifications to run your own Telhosting environment because John is just one first name of five or ten thousand, so using your method you will need 160,000 subdomains to satisfy your requirements, and that's just for one surname, not 300 or 3,000 etc. Be realistic.
    Mark

TELcp06-09-2012 09:45 PM

Yes, will definitely have our own telhosting service when the need arises.
    Right now we look forward to find only 3 customers (for sub domains) for each tel domain to recover the expenses.
    Then gradually increasing up to 30, 300, and 2999. After that only we will need our own telhosting. :cool:

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)06-09-2012 09:52 PM

True, start small, think big.
    Mark

Current date/time is 2024-05-15, 4:52 pm