The .TEL Community on the .TEL Domain Forum!

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

Time Zone on .TEL Pages

Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

Time Zone on .TEL Pages Empty Time Zone on .TEL Pages

Post by Telnic 2015-01-02, 2:52 am

prokoshev10-29-2009 11:54 PM

Time Zone on .TEL Pages

Hello,

I often travel and change time zones. My business and personal contacts also travel and change time zones. It is often important to know where the person is currently located before making a phone call in relation to your own current location. You don't want to wake your friend up in the middle of a night, etc.

First of all, I suggest adding a field on the .tel pages. It can be as simple as indicating the time difference between the UTC and the current location e.g. "UTC+2", or be more descriptive but still according to the common standards e.g. "EET (UTC+2)" in the winter, and for the same zones DST "EEST (UTC+3)" in the summer.

Furthermore, it should have an API, allowing the software developers to use this field to calculate time differences. Ideally, in thenear future I want to be able to see on my smart phone screen not only the different contact choices, but also to automatically see the what is the current date and time, day or night, at my friend's location.

To complicate things even more, there should be a field introduced, so that in the next to near future I could not only see the contact's current time on my contact's .tel page, but I want my smartphone to automatically determine whether e.g. their office is open for business or not at this hour, whether they are receiving phone calls at the current time or not.

Now let me dream a little bit more... Perhaps in the not so distant future all the .tel telephone fields will have an attribute, which would indicate whether e.g. this mobile phone number is convenient to be called to at the current time, when it is better to call my friend's office phone, and when it is better to call his home phone, etc.

And let's talk about the week days and calendars a little later

Howard10-30-2009 11:14 AM

Hello prokoshev and welcome to the forum.

Thank you for your interesting suggestions. We'll certainly look into them further, as we do all suggestions made on the forum.

In the meantime, have you seen the recently introduced "Note" contact type? This could be used to show your current time zone.

Many people currently use their Profiles to show when they or their office is open. "out of hours" they set a profile that does not have a office phone number for example.

Keep the ideas coming.

Howard

mactel10-30-2009 04:50 PM

I understand, that it is also about to be able to see, where the owner of the .tel name is located, at present time.

And I could imagine to have the following feature, within .tel, some day:

A pop-up-mindmap, with like three or five bubbles in different colors.

Each bubble for a location (including time of the country).

The place you would be, at present, is marked or highlighted. Etc., etc.

prokoshev10-30-2009 04:51 PM

Hello Howard,

I have utilised the Note type, as you suggested, thank you. This is a good enough solution (for the time being).

Regarding Profiles, the current way of changing the profile via the Control Panel is rather cumbersome. Because of that, for me, for example, it is does not look like a suitable way to change my profile one or two times a day (as it should be!), so I limit my profile changes now only for the change of my geo-location (when I travel), and even then it is not ideal.

I think there should be created a separate simplified way to change the profile, on the fly, without the need to connect to the Control Panel. And here is an idea for you: you can not only introduce a simplified profile changing routine, but also strengthen your ties with the telecom companies, and get an additional revenue source for yourselves---that is if .tel subscribers could change their profiles by a simple SMS message sent from their mobile phones, probably for a small premium-sms-rate. Of course, this can be a challenging project, but it is now a well known and widespread technology--many popular websites in fact get a large share of their revenues from the premium-sms commissions.

Howard10-30-2009 05:48 PM

With regards to changing profile prokoshev, this can actually be done using a number of the mobile applications. For example, using "Access .tel" (http://telnic.org/community-applications.html) on my Blackberry it's just a matter of pressing a button to change profile assuming I already have the profile set up.. I know this is also the case using My.tel on the iPhone.

We're also currently working on Apps for Windows Mobile, Symbian and Android.

prokoshev10-30-2009 05:53 PM

Thanks, Howard! I am on Nokia E66, so I guess I still have to wait....

pink11-01-2009 02:34 PM

I like the time zone idea

Current date/time is 2024-05-19, 4:32 am