The .TEL Community on the .TEL Domain Forum!

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

.TEL pages

Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

.TEL pages    Empty .TEL pages

Post by Telnic 2015-01-02, 2:45 am

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)06-12-2009 06:40 PM

.TEL pages

To improve TEL uptake for 99% of the public, why not add a link just under the logo on the .tel pages:
    Learn about .TEL
    or
    What is .TEL?
    etc
    in small font.

nadya06-12-2009 10:45 PM

The previous version of .tel proxy template had those links at the bottom; those were removed based on community requests to reduce promotion of .tel service on others' .tel pages.

dotteler06-13-2009 12:44 AM

the request for removal was 'get your tel' link, which sent to telnic list of registrars / resellers.
    those of us who are reselling requested that removal, since it seemed to promote someone to register thru.
    the suggestion of adding a link to information only is a good idea, or having ability to add links in that area ourselves, for that matter!

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)06-13-2009 01:31 AM

TEl page links

Quote:

Originally Posted by dotteler (Post 93)
    the request for removal was 'get your tel' link, which sent to telnic list of registrars / resellers.
    those of us who are reselling requested that removal, since it seemed to promote someone to register thru.
    the suggestion of adding a link to information only is a good idea, or having ability to add links in that area ourselves, for that matter!

[size]
    I like that even better, furthermore: have a default "Learn about .tel" link that goes to telnic, but allows us to override it for customization. Possibly a special naptr field?[/size]

nadya06-13-2009 10:52 AM

You hit a good point, Mark. 
    At this point, any links going out of .tel have been added by the .tel owner (except the vcard link which again only contains info added by the .tel owner). Adding links to Telnic will be promoting Telnic's product, even if it's an information link rather than 'buy yours'. Customizing links by the .tel provider is promoting services by that provider, which again is advertising that the .tel owner may not wish to see in their domains. Keeping the .tel proxy template universal and with no direct or indirect ads is a kind of middle ground.

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)06-13-2009 12:13 PM

Educate the public - important issue !

Quote:

Originally Posted by nadya (Post 101)
    You hit a good point, Mark. 
    Adding links to Telnic will be promoting Telnic's product, even if it's an information link rather than 'buy yours'. Customizing links by the .tel provider is promoting services by that provider, which again is advertising that the .tel owner may not wish to see in their domains. Keeping the .tel proxy template universal and with no direct or indirect ads is a kind of middle ground.

[size]
    I think the issue here is to educate the public. With so many pages visible in Google etc the first thing people see is the logo and then some content that doesn't look like a website. Perhaps confusing to many. 

Having a link saying "Find out about .TEL" or "What is .TEL?" beneath the logo is a benefit to the community at large. Just create a separate telnic.info site that has no links to telnic.org if that is a problem. Please consider this as a roadmap issue. It is too important to let a few registrars stand in the way! What say you Telsters?[/size]

imaginethink06-13-2009 12:22 PM

Hi Mark,

(dotteller here from Telsters - changed my nick to something more unique). That's a good suggestion, but Telsters and Tel owners are free to add appropriate links to Telnic / elsewhere if they wish. Why impose on people?

Sid

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)06-13-2009 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imaginethink (Post 107)
    Hi Mark,

That's a good suggestion, but Telsters and Tel owners are free to add appropriate links to Telnic / elsewhere if they wish. Why impose on people?

Sid

[size]
    I'm talking about an info link immediately beneath the TEL LOGO at the top right of each page:http://www.mytel.me/images/what.jpg[/size]

dnsRegistrar.tel06-14-2009 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Kolb (Kprobe) (Post 111)
    immediately beneath the TEL LOGO[/B

[size]
    agree with placement and tiny sized text.
    but the "what is .tel" may be different things to different people.

with one domain, I especially want to smash home the idea its a "telephone book"
    with another, i need it to be the simple online "business card"
    [/size]

dottel06-15-2009 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Kolb (Kprobe) (Post 111)
    I'm talking about an info link immediately beneath the TEL LOGO at the top right of each page:http://www.mytel.me/images/what.jpg

[size]
    I do not accept any link either for information or advertisement (by default)
    - For me any domain I buy is my property (as long as I am the owner) and I charge fee for such links
    - End user can always advertise .Tel (if they want), so there is no need for such default setups.
    - No matter how small is the text, I do not like anything default on my domains.[/size]

dotteler06-15-2009 04:24 PM

i guess the argument could be made that if someone is viewing a .tel, they already sorta 'get it'

FreakySteve06-23-2009 02:15 PM

I have previously voiced my strong opinion on this matter and when the link was removed, so too did I think was the issue. 

I agree with dottel. Being forced to accept traffic/PR leaks for the purpose of advertising the TLD is not acceptable. This is not just applicable to resellers but anyone who values the traffic they send to their .tels.

I do my share of promoting .tel, but for some of my .tel domains, I absolutely do not want any links that explain or promote .tel. As a .tel owner I should not be forced to be a .tel advertiser as well.

If these domains were free, then maybe, like free hosted websites, but since they are paid real estate, there should be no billboards.

Adding default links to the layout (e.g. footer, under the logo) that are completely customizable is a good idea, but any forced links, even to Telnic, are not acceptable.

Current date/time is 2024-05-07, 4:33 pm