The .TEL Community on the .TEL Domain Forum!

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

Request to extend icons and visual elements

Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

Request to extend icons and visual elements Empty Request to extend icons and visual elements

Post by Telnic 2015-01-02, 4:02 am

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)07-31-2010 07:48 PM

Request to extend icons and visual elements

Dear Telnic, here are four visual enhancements I'd love to see real soon:

1) Default Global Logo: set one logo recursively for the entire domain; individual page logos still allowed and override any default logo.

2) Optional Icons for NAPTR Records: allow the default icons to be replaced by owner-supplied icons.

3) Allow tag: within any content, limited to maximum 80x80 size for conformity and also constrained as to how they are allowed to appear inline with surrounding text.

4) Allow simple HTML tags like (bold), italics, etc to enhance content and control formatting. Simple but effective change.

5) Images in Related Content just like Google ads, except our own images.
    https://www.telmasters.com/images/house.jpg

I know there may be technical and philosophical issues involved with these requests, so perhaps they can be voiced now. Having additional images will open up the TLD for directories and product listings that appeal to visitors and small business owners.

A default logo for any page could be implemented immediately by reading the DNS record for the base domain after determining there is no logo for the subdomain and rendering one accordingly. This will save so much time, even if you use the bulk logo tool. It will also reduce the number of logo DNS records that are unnecessarily duplicated in excess, making DNS more efficient. No CTH change required for this one, only rendering logic in the proxies.

Record-level icons could be optionally attached to the NAPTR record in the same way longLabel was implemented. No extra load on the Telnic servers, just some more records in the DNS. You could have a capacity limit per account if that was a problem, but really it's the client browsers that take the hit. But being able to show a small icon of a product would only extend the TLD in a more positive way.

Images (image tags actually) in content shouldn't be a performance problem as they are rendered by the browser and are not a burden on the Telnic servers. The issue is probably more technical: parsing out all html tags to prevent malicious scripting, but surely the dev team can overcome that, eh?

For the philosophical issue of prohibiting images, I think the TLD has evolved from the original, now-somewhat-dated concept of .tel existing purely for text-based contact info, to a more broader appeal to the small business owner who needs a modest presence for search engine visibility and product display, to real-estate agents to give a glimpse of a property, to the paper directory establishment who should be using tel to save trees and to the on-line directory outfits who should be including tel domains as part of their service, and so on. 

Properly constrained, regulated images won't detract from the format of tel, only enhance it and provide a wider appeal to the millions missing out on .tel. A more visual .tel will sell.

What-da-ya-say Telnic? 

Anyone else feel the same way?

Regards,

Mark

dotteler07-31-2010 09:59 PM

Well stated.. you must take more that the 10 seconds I do when you post something! Thanks, Mark.

Bunjie07-31-2010 10:56 PM

@Mark Kolb hopefully they will put this on their/your ideas list.

I'm sure you get what I mean.

dotteler08-01-2010 03:07 AM

I wish there was the default logo on all new pages based on the first page... would make it easy to maintain the look. I wish there was a single adsense update for all the pages, also.. I finalized the look of the site I'm working on and now have to change all the adsense : > key-west.tel

boracay.tel08-01-2010 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Kolb (Kprobe) (Post 10289)
    Dear Telnic, here are four visual enhancements I'd love to see real soon:

Regards,

Mark

[size]
    Wholeheartedly. These are the small, but powerful additions that would be wonderful for directory based build-outs. Needed asap. I have a few other, very small, very frustrating limitations.

Great post mark.
    Hope telnic can decide swiftly, one way or the other.[/size]

telrific08-01-2010 07:27 PM

And I repeat the call for a telpage (that matches telpages.com) to put Mark's suggestions on !

The New Henri.tel style.

This way when someone uses the included search feature at least the pages match style and show conistency across the entire .tel platform.

nadya08-02-2010 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dotteler (Post 10292)
    I wish there was the default logo on all new pages based on the first page... would make it easy to maintain the look. I wish there was a single adsense update for all the pages, also.. I finalized the look of the site I'm working on and now have to change all the adsense : > key-west.tel

[size]
    Hi dotteler,

With recursive operations, such as setting the custom title, logo or AdSense through the whole tree, there are important decisions to be made, including "What happens when you go and edit that image, change it to a different one? In the 2nd level folder? In a subfolder? What if you want to use different AdSense accounts for different parts of your directory, because it includes information on several industries, and relevant AdSense feeds would be in different accounts?" 
    Additionally, the performance issue is important. Propagating the same record through hundreds of subfolders will take some time, and the longer it takes, the greater the possibility for network errors. 
    I understand that some directory builders would appreciate this multi-record update feature, but perhaps 3rd party tools are more suitable for this than the control panel? Mark is doing bulk updates already, so images and adsense are a logical extension of that.[/size]

Aled08-02-2010 10:01 AM

Thanks everybody for your continued suggestions on this and other threads.

We note each and every suggestion made both here and through other channels. Every suggestion is recorded and discussed internally. Some are immediately added to the development plan, others are integrated into existing items on the plan, while others remain on the “suggestions List” which is revisited regularly. Clearly not all suggestions can be implemented, often we have suggestions which directly contradict each other, and each change must be considered with regards to the overall strategy, development effort and the requirements of all .tel owners. This includes Mark's suggestions above, which we will examine closely. 

As Nadya explains, many of these are not "small" additions, but significant changes to the control panel and the proxy, that would require some decision making and additioanl logic. This isn't to say that none of the suggestions are feasible, but as I’m sure you appreciate, there are many suggested features which go through an initial feasibility and functional analysis cycle before being determined as either suitable for the roadmap or unsuitable at the current time.

Equally, we need to remember that Telnic tends to release updates on a regular basis to a schedule that allows for testing for a significant number of browsers, backwards compatibility and network stability, as well as translations and user documentation updates. We're not in a continuous release mode with ongoing incremental patches, as it’s critically important to make sure that no changes affect the stability of the DNS or the publishing systems.

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)08-02-2010 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nadya (Post 10305)
    Hi dotteler,

With recursive operations, such as setting the custom title, logo or AdSense through the whole tree, there are important decisions to be made, including "What happens when you go and edit that image, change it to a different one? In the 2nd level folder? In a subfolder? What if you want to use different AdSense accounts for different parts of your directory, because it includes information on several industries, and relevant AdSense feeds would be in different accounts?"

[size]
    This is exactly the reason to use a global records as opposed to recursion. If I understand how you have implemented recursion for adsense, it means that the record is duplicated for every subdomain. IMO, this is a waste of DNS records perhaps just to simply coding of the proxies. The better way is as I suggest, have the proxies look for a default record in the base domain if the record is not found in the subdomain. If this was implemented, then you won't have to worry about changes at different levels of the tree structure - either it there or not and gets displayed accordingly.

Quote:
    [/size]

Additionally, the performance issue is important. Propagating the same record through hundreds of subfolders will take some time, and the longer it takes, the greater the possibility for network errors. 
    I understand that some directory builders would appreciate this multi-record update feature, but perhaps 3rd party tools are more suitable for this than the control panel? Mark is doing bulk updates already, so images and adsense are a logical extension of that.

[size]
    Again, don't propogate records that are identical, use the default method. This will allow for instant display of certain changes - no waiting for the records to wend their way through the DNS.[/size]

dotteler08-02-2010 04:46 PM

I like the way the tools for mass domain population are configured: you show subdomains then select which you'll add/change the telad on.
    If similar worked for logo, adsense, or any other uniform field, it would allow you to do a mass change and control it, to eliminate the situations as described where you wish to maintain unique.

mikeseaton08-03-2010 02:14 AM

Adding Images to Web Page entries

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Kolb (Kprobe) (Post 10289)

3) Allow tag: within any content, limited to maximum 80x80 size for conformity and also constrained as to how they are allowed to appear inline with surrounding text.

https://www.telmasters.com/images/house.jpg

I know there may be technical and philosophical issues involved with these requests, so perhaps they can be voiced now. Having additional images will open up the TLD for directories and product listings that appeal to visitors and small business owners.

For the philosophical issue of prohibiting images, I think the TLD has evolved from the original, now-somewhat-dated concept of .tel existing purely for text-based contact info, to a more broader appeal to the small business owner who needs a modest presence for search engine visibility and product display, to real-estate agents to give a glimpse of a property, to the paper directory establishment who should be using tel to save trees and to the on-line directory outfits who should be including tel domains as part of their service, and so on. 

Properly constrained, regulated images won't detract from the format of tel, only enhance it and provide a wider appeal to the millions missing out on .tel. A more visual .tel will sell.

What-da-ya-say Telnic? 

[size]
    I agree. The image size IMO should not be restriced to a fixed 80x80 format - since many photos are taken in a 4:3 or 3:2 ratio.

Dot Tel really needs a boost to help sell the idea to small businesses - adding images to text entries would be a great help in this task!

Mike Seaton[/size]

dottel.net08-04-2010 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Kolb (Kprobe) (Post 10316)
    Again, don't propogate records that are identical, use the default method. This will allow for instant display of certain changes - no waiting for the records to wend their way through the DNS.

[size]
    While I do agree duplication to all subdomains is expensive and can be moved off to a proxy lookup at the base domain, the disadvantage of this is you lose the independence of a subdomain i.e. it is no longer self contained (useful in some cases!)

Interested to hear telnics rationale for their decision to duplicate.[/size]

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)08-24-2010 01:48 PM

Another images enhancement

Since we already can have Google display image ads, please add the ability for us to use Related Content to insert an image. That way we can control our own images there.

telrific08-24-2010 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Kolb (Kprobe) (Post 10737)
    .... That way we can control our own images there.

[size]
    There's the problem - content control ... for Imaging.

The logo at the provided size allotment is "Safe" and functionally "Sound".
    The Google Ad at the provided size allotment is "Safe" and functionally "Sound".

Here's the whole problem to expand on your statement(s), Mark:

TelPages and .TEL is finding more success as 'Yellow' pages, and 
    although 'White' may come to gain numbers over time, 'Yellow' is still the driver.

Currently we see this as the most advanced 'Yellow" page:

Genuine Supply Company

Suppose then that an example of this is also done by other Businesses:

Dish TV

All you can do is add features as 'links', except for what Telnic has provided as 'New Features'.

These 'New Features' however amount to 'Business Suicide' !

1. Competition that has a FAR greater ability to take traffic away from my page with Google AdSense

AccountingServices.tel

2. Competition that has a FAR greater ability to take traffic away from my page with the Search Bar inclusion.

eCards.tel

This means that:

- No intelligent business would include the feature Google AdSense.
    - No intelligent business would include the feature 'Search All .tels"

It certainly seems that one has accomodated the ability to drive Business with TELWINGS standards for content control.

This also accomodates the Individual: 

Jane Smith

Sadly, it's still AFTER the fact, and TOO LATE compared to the Search Bar and Google AdSense.

I have lobbied Kash and Telnic for something that can aid Businesses AND provide Content control ON the page, and it's MUCH better than a Google Ad ...

Here's a hint:

http://www.4localtv.com/hint.jpg

Hopefully we will see something in the very near future ...[/size]

Current date/time is 2024-05-19, 12:42 pm