The .TEL Community on the .TEL Domain Forum!

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

Logo sized images

Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

Logo sized images Empty Logo sized images

Post by Telnic 2015-01-02, 4:55 am

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)01-05-2012 04:44 PM

Logo sized images

I'm bringing this up again in the hopes others agree and Telnic can make part of the road map.

.Tel is the best thing that has ever happened for small business, yet the uptake is pitiful for a couple of reasons: awareness and lack of features.

Among the improvements I'd like to see is icon-sized images on NAPTR records like web links and goto's to entice visitors and add visual presence to pages. Right now I can get around this in a convoluted way by adding 50+ images to the right tel ads and randomly they appear, for instance at 
    http://custom-cell-phone-cases.produ...zlestores.tel/

But the better way would be like this (left and/or right side icons) ...

http://telvisitors.com/images/telex.png

Mark

mikeseaton01-05-2012 06:19 PM

Totally agree Mark - this would open up the way to much better affiliate monetisation with the addition of thumbnail size images as used by eBay etc.

Some thought would be needed about the size and aspect ratio to ensure existing affiliate advertiser images could be used - 120 width x 60 height is very popular with http://www.CJ.com advertisers. 

Combine this with a CTH-specified RSS Feed and you would have a potential winner on your hands - I hope Telnic give both the Image addition and CTH-specified RSS Feed priority on the Roadmap - when/if it re-appears.

Mike Seaton

dialaroom01-05-2012 06:43 PM

Would be a nice advanced feature, to add your own icons, Not sure how many would use it or what effect it might have on speed. 

But would you seriously recommend any small businesses to use a .tel as a shopping site.

Anyone can pickup WYSIWYG Shopping Cart software for $50 with payment facilities built in if that's what they want.

Just my opinion, but if as we all hope, everyone adopts .tel as their mobile contact tld. do you not think that it may be counter productive. Am I the only one here who is afraid that .tel will be come known as the tld that's stuffed with ads and affiliate links and nothing else. 

My views are well known, in so far as I still think we would be better off with one recognisable branded template, with no clutter, no ads, just speed, simplicity and reliable contact information uniquely optimised and delivered to mobile phones. No other tld can compete with .tel on those terms.

Not in any way trying to decry your mammoth efforts and skills in promoting and developing .tels. In fact I am a big fan and user of some as you are aware. But I'd love to ask, everyone here; when you bought your first .tel; if it wasn't just for investment, why did you buy it?

wibblenut01-05-2012 06:55 PM

There's another way to do this - the TelProxy (and other .tel clients that want to display images) could traverse the non-terminating NAPTRs (folders), grab their icons (cache them), and then display them next to the folder links. There could also be a flag to indicate whether such records exist, so clients don't do it unnecessarily.

It means more lookups, but they could be asynchronous. It feels like a neater approach because you'd be using records that already exist.

I don't know whether it'd be worth it or not. The main improvement I'd like to see with the TelProxy is a speed improvement - it's always seemed unreasonably slow to me.

mikeseaton01-05-2012 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dialaroom (Post 19899)
    ...we would be better off with one recognisable branded template, with no clutter, no ads, just speed, simplicity and reliable contact information uniquely optimised and delivered to mobile phones.

[size]
    If it's not possible to effectively monetise .tels they will be dropped in their tens of thousands when their renewal time comes up.

Whilst some may say they don't care about this, do you really think Telnic will be able to continue operating indefinitely (and registrars remain interested), once the seed investment money runs out, on a vastly reduced registration/renewal basis ?

I do believe that with development .tel could become the only web presence a small business ever needs, and if there were excellent monetisation options available this would encourage software developers and domain investors to remain committed as well.

For for the pure max speed "calling card" option - which .tel was initially pitched as - there are (and more will appear in 2012) several FREE options.

Mike Seaton[/size]

Simon G01-05-2012 07:51 PM

Like dialaroom and wibblenut I'd prefer .tel was faster and known for its speed and usability for all mobile devices.
    Therefore making it more unique and useful than poorly replicating what is possible on websites.

Although I've got to hand it to you Mark finding a work around by uploading 50+ images is impressive.

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)01-05-2012 08:34 PM

Perhaps we have to see what the new template(s) bring. But the fact remains .tel is stagnant. Most pages remain undeveloped and there needs to be more attractive ways to bring small businesses into the Telosphere. I don't want to cause rendering to slow down but the choice would be up to the owner to decide whether it's worth visualizing their pages. Tel's major principle is that it doesn't require additional programming and hosting assets so adding some safe plugins would answer shopping cart issues (like the proposed embedded videos). Looking at what .MOBI has done recently is glamorous. Compare a .mobi site to a .tel and we lose out on appearance for sure. And first impressions count for what the end user sees, he won't care about what's driving it in the background. 

Mark

Sumerlin01-05-2012 11:18 PM

New plates will not change anything, just like "improvements" they wasted a whole year on.
    By the way does anyone know what these "improvements" are for and how to use them ?
    I bet you 90% of .tel users have no idea how, what and why

mikeseaton01-06-2012 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Kolb (Kprobe) (Post 19904)
    But the fact remains .tel is stagnant. Most pages remain undeveloped and there needs to be more attractive ways to bring small businesses into the Telosphere.

[size]
    Surely Telnic must realise this and have a plan to get .tel out of the current stagnant situation ?

I just wish they would share their "plan of action" so as to reduce the drift away from .tel that has been happening over recent months by both domain investors and software developers.

We all want .tel to succeed, but excessive secrecy by Telnic is not going to make us all "keep the faith" indefinitely - at the very least bring back the Roadmap which disappeared on 1 July 2011 !

Mike Seaton[/size]

dutchstreetdog01-06-2012 01:56 AM

I like to see a option to fill in opening hrs And closing hrs whitout the text jumping arround!

eBikes01-06-2012 05:56 PM

2012 will be a very important year for us. In my opinion its the make or break period

unlocktel01-24-2012 05:39 PM

Surely Telnic must realise this and have a plan to get .tel out of the current stagnant situation 
    good point mike but dont you think they have lost interest..i do!

mikeseaton01-24-2012 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlocktel (Post 20108)
    Surely Telnic must realise this and have a plan to get .tel out of the current stagnant situation 
    good point mike but dont you think they have lost interest..i do!

[size]
    That's what I have been trying to work out !

Why would a company with a potentially world-beating product abandon the roadmap (removed on 1 July 2011 and never re-instated), slow down devlopment to a crawl (the first of the new templates, still not delivered, was due by 30 June 2011), not use the experience available on this forum to beta-test the few developments that do happen, fail to promote .tel to "Joe Public" which is essential if "critical mass" is ever going to be reached, etc, etc, etc - it wears me out just listing the problems with the .tel project !

I know Telnic have quite a few millions left from the initial seed funding but this won't last forever - with a measly 300K registrations after nearly 3 years registrars will soon give up on pushing .tel (GoDaddy, reputedly the largest, still does not offer .tel), domain investors will not renew the majority of their existing domains and software developers will lose interest developing for a dwindling market.

It just doesn't make business sense - there may well be some grand plan about to be unleashed on the world - but even if there is it's looking like "too little too late". I just don't get it - does anybody else ?

Mike Seaton[/size]

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)01-24-2012 07:52 PM

Mike I don't get it either. Some plumbing needs unclogging.
    Mark

maximka02-28-2012 10:21 PM

---------- deleted for privacy because of forum migration ----------------

TELcp02-29-2012 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maximka (Post 20590)
    I hope in new templates Telnic will place his icon on the buttons "Go to TEL"

http://telnic.org/forum/attachment.p...0&d=1330464059

[size]
    Very good suggestion.[/size]

mikeseaton03-02-2012 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Kolb (Kprobe) (Post 19897)
    I'm bringing this up again in the hopes others agree and Telnic can make part of the road map.

.Tel is the best thing that has ever happened for small business, yet the uptake is pitiful for a couple of reasons: awareness and lack of features.

Among the improvements I'd like to see is icon-sized images on NAPTR records like web links and goto's to entice visitors and add visual presence to pages.

[size]
    Mark, judging by the lack of response from Telnic to this thread started 5th January I guess we have to assume the answer is NO - I think that's a great shame - an optional thumbnail on contact items would make .tels very attractive to small businesses.

Maybe Telnic consider it would be going too far down the "web site" route and they want to stick to the original concept of a single point of contact online business card ?

Pure speculation of course - in the absence of any official response being received to your request.

Mike Seaton[/size]

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)03-02-2012 06:44 AM

All I know is "all suggestions are reviewed" maybe into limbo.
    Mark

Current date/time is 2024-05-20, 7:11 am