The .TEL Community on the .TEL Domain Forum!

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

.Tel Running Total by .Tel Type

Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

.Tel Running Total by .Tel Type Empty .Tel Running Total by .Tel Type

Post by Telnic 2015-01-02, 5:35 am

mikeseaton05-01-2012 04:50 PM

.Tel Running Total by .Tel Type

@Mark @dottel.net @anyoneelse

Is there any easy way you could generate and place on your site a running total of .tels by:

- Telnames nameservers
    - Telnic nameservers
    - TelChina nameservers

That would get me and quite a few others visiting your site regularly to check the way things are going !

Mike Seaton

dottel.net05-01-2012 05:01 PM

I already have that info - just don't publish it
    Only thought folks would be interested in total and idn count hence thats what is displayed in the middle of http://dottel.net

dottel.net05-01-2012 05:03 PM

as always - if folks find that useful then i'll show the two counts. the telnic nameservers would be all the remaining sites not on either telchina or telnames

mikeseaton05-01-2012 05:09 PM

Thanks dottel.net - I think we are all very interested in how Telnames registrations in particular progress in the next few weeks and months.

Is Telnames the answer to the current 300K reg plateau .tel is facing ?

I do hope so - the reg figures for Telnames servers will let us know one way or the other !

Mike Seaton

dottel.net05-01-2012 05:11 PM

lets just say that right now, the telnames number is hardly moving if it does its in single digits daily....

that's due to there not being any marketing drive so nobody really knows about it or has heard about it.... as I said in an earlier post, the interesting stat will be how this number changes over the bstartup week later this month.

mikeseaton05-01-2012 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dottel.net (Post 23172)
    ...that's due to there not been any marketing drive so nobody really knows about it or has heard about it...

[size]
    Where have I heard that before !

Quote:
    [/size]

Originally Posted by dottel.net (Post 23172)
    ...the interesting stat will be how this number changes over the bstartup week later this month.

[size]
    I wouldn't place too much emphasis on results from this forthcoming London-based event - Telnames needs to think big and could have an International Affiliate Program up and running by this mid-May event if they so wished.

http://www.CJ.com and http://www.TradeDoubler.com have the infrastructure already in place and hundreds of thousands of affiliates signed-up and able to promote .tel worldwide (provided the affiliate deal is fair).

It only takes a phone call form Kash or colleagues (and a few K) to set things in motion - everything after is performance-based (with a monthly minimum charge).

Mike Seaton[/size]

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)05-01-2012 05:32 PM

Yep, agree with Sunil re marketing. In fact y'day there were only 2 registrations... so it's easy to track them right now. When the expo promotion starts, I'll try to keep up with the thousands they better be selling.
    Mark

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)05-01-2012 05:33 PM

@mike, Telnames is priced where domain sales affiliates could actually make money.
    Mark

mikeseaton05-01-2012 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Kolb (Kprobe) (Post 23175)
    @mike, Telnames is priced where domain sales affiliates could actually make money.

[size]
    Yes I agree - it is important though that Telnames do not restrict affiliates from making commission on their own domain names.

That way bulk .tel owners who become affiliates get a discount to persuade them to transfer to Telnames, but the SMB and Professional person sales that Telnames are targeting (who will purchase/transfer 1 domain only) pay the full retail price.

Just like the way normal non-domain business works !

Mike Seaton[/size]

Blunderer05-01-2012 06:44 PM

Well Telnames won't be doing much business in the surname department - there are none left for them to sell!

mikeseaton05-01-2012 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blunderer (Post 23177)
    Well Telnames won't be doing much business in the surname department - there are none left for them to sell!

[size]
    Surname .tels are a dead duck as far as Telnames are concerned anyway - to set up a surname .tel with several first names (eg. john.smith, sue.smith, etc.) you need to be able to have subdomains available.

Mike Seaton[/size]

dialaroom05-01-2012 07:19 PM

Telnames.com has headings like What is a .tel, How it works, who is it for? etc. Granted it has in the small print phrases like a .tel name is etc. I suppose to distinguish it from a full .tel.

My point is, is it not misleading as it doesn't give the full picture and although I've not read it all, I don't think it mentions the original .tel and the differences. Hence people reading this will think that this is all a .tel is.

Is that their intention, if not I think a clearer explanation is required.

mikeseaton05-01-2012 07:45 PM

@dialaroom

Quote:

Originally Posted by dialaroom (Post 23179)
    ...is it not misleading as it doesn't give the full picture and although I've not read it all, I don't think it mentions the original .tel and the differences. Hence people reading this will think that this is all a .tel is.

Is that their intention...

[size]
    Quote:
    [/size]

Originally Posted by mikeseaton (Post 23162)
    However there are now 2 distinct products for sale as a .tel domain:

Product 1 has a Telnames-style template (eg. http://TheGreenhouse.tel) with video, image gallery & coupon loading built-in but no subdomains.

Product 2 has an original-style template (eg. http://Domains123.tel) with video, image gallery & coupon loading not built-in but up to 2999 subdomains.

Product 1 and Product 2 are as different as Chalk and Cheese...

[size]
    I think Telnames would be committing marketing suicide if they attempted to describe both .tel products on their site - confusing newbies with alternatives (only one of which Telnames supplies) would definitely not be a smart move for them !

Mike Seaton[/size]

dialaroom05-01-2012 08:16 PM

Of course it would not be the smartest move for telnames, but is it not misleading for telnic as a whole?

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)05-01-2012 08:23 PM

If Telnames is selling a different, competing brand, they have to be real careful to separate the two offerings to avoid confusion and irate customers (I saw this but I bought that scenario). I know why Telnames has to present a different brand to show off against registrars, but I don't like it. I think they could easily have started selling upgraded Tel Domains (ie old tel with new Telnames features) at a higher price. Trouble is it may be too late now, as they spent a whole year developing their new offering at the expense of .Tel (no new templates, no new CTH functionality). They have to experiment with their new plan and hope it does very very well. 
    Mark

Geo05-01-2012 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeseaton (Post 23180)
    @dialaroom

I think Telnames would be committing marketing suicide if they attempted to describe both .tel products on their site - confusing newbies with alternatives (only one of which Telnames supplies) would definitely not be a smart move for them !

Mike Seaton

[size]
    This is the part of this whole issue... if what Telnames offers is indeed what so many customers want then it puzzles me why Telnic doesn't incorporate the Telnames option right into the standard offering, and give prospective customers a choice. There is another side to this which they apparently don't want to discuss. I think Mike is trying to put a good spin on it, but it doesn't make sense to say that Telnames is an improvement from the standard. It is prettier, but also in a way, it is Tel lite. 

I say put them all on the standard CTH platform and let customers decide - that would be the true test and yield the most benefits for Tel as a whole. What is keeping them from doing so?[/size]

dialaroom05-01-2012 08:33 PM

I'm happy to call it misleading as I only have a small investment in shall we say the multi as opposed to single page .tels.

I've a feeling others with more of an investment in what may not be suitable single page names may put it a little stronger.

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)05-01-2012 09:38 PM

I doubt that I will put any of my existing tels onto Tel-Lite. It makes no sense to do so. I have just picked up some generics which I will happily sell because they are in fact suitable for Tel-Lite and will make some new owners happy. This is something new for me, as until now, I have bought tels I wanted to develop. Now I am also buying tels for resale. What we need now is a brokerage that all registrars can see and tap into. 
    Mark

mikeseaton05-01-2012 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Kolb (Kprobe) (Post 23185)
    I have just picked up some generics which I will happily sell because they are in fact suitable for Tel-Lite and will make some new owners happy.

[size]
    Yes Mark - I think we all have to do the same thing now when buying .tel names - decide which of the two .tel products they are suitable for.

It's a bit of a messy situation, as a newbie to .tel I would end up confused if I became aware of two diametrically opposed offerings (at least as far as the proxy display and CTH input is concerned) masquerading as the same extension.

I'm sure Telnames will be spearheading the .tel marketing effort, with Kash & Fiona at the helm, and I just have this feeling that Telnic Ltd. the registry will be sold within a year or so (there are companies buying up minor gTLDs like .tel at the moment), otherwise why not just offer the new template as a Telnic TelHosting option available from all registrars ?

If it's a bit unsettling for experienced forum menbers, what on earth must .tel newbies think of it when they discover two products exist not one ?

Mike Seaton[/size]

dottel.net05-01-2012 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Kolb (Kprobe) (Post 23185)
    What we need now is a brokerage that all registrars can see and tap into.

[size]
    agreed. sedo's premium listing service seems to be growing and be integrated with many registrars. problem for .tel is the $50 commission per name. we have our own sales site and have integrated for sale sites with Buy a Tel so should someone be searching for a name it not only lists drops, but for sale domains too. But that doesn't reach out to those all important end users like a sedo, godaddy etc does.

it does at least entice those searching for 'drops' and based on the stats that number is rising daily. It's more then just forum users as the unique hits seems to be growing quite steadily, so somebody is looking for them :)[/size]
    Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

.Tel Running Total by .Tel Type Empty Re: .Tel Running Total by .Tel Type

Michael05-02-2012 02:12 AM

I understand the Telnames direction from the standpoint of attracting "new" small businesses in need of a website. They (the customer) get a simple and easy to use website cheap and can show off the mobile functionality also. If marketed properly they(telnames) could potentially pick up new customers.

My question is will the other new templates be released thus attracting more developers who could then finally see .tel potential. if Telnic/Telnames has taken those new options off of the table I think it will be a real mistake. I am really impressed with the new template options and possibilities. If they move forward with that aspect .tel will continue to improve and become more mainstream.

A strong and growing aftermarket will only attract more interest to .tel Remember the .com bust and how the aftermarket for .com has exploded over the years since. I think we could be looking at something similar for .tel if they would only keep up development offering improvement on the Telnic/subdomain side. The mobile functionality will always give .tel an edge, it is just that no one is looking at .tel except the true believers.

I am really hoping for the release of the new templates and capabilities from telnic.

Michael

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)05-02-2012 02:37 AM

Yes we all are waiting for the new templates and more functionality, at least at the SOAP level for the time being, like defining a background image (which Telmasters tools already supports).
    Mark

TELcp05-02-2012 06:04 AM

The "baby tel" is of course misleading the buyer.
    Also very unfair on the new registrants who are not aware of the existing tel system.
    (Just like Hong Kong in China, two different system within one country :D)
    There should be a clear explanation of both systems and let the buyer make the decision.

++++

TELcp05-02-2012 06:10 AM

Any future Developers of the .tel should pay more attention to the Mobile Proxy.
    Not the Background image or template design.

The Ideal tel on the Mobile Proxy should be fast loading and easy navigation,
    That's all you need for the future. 
    Nothing else.
    All others are temporary and will be a waste of time/money when you look back in about 2 years from now.

TELcp05-02-2012 07:18 AM

According to the conversation here at https://twitter.com/#!/dottel, new templates should be out soon.

Also refer http://www.telnic.org/forum/showthre...3200#post23200

Cheers!

Sumerlin05-02-2012 10:57 AM

What a mess.
    Why did I get involved with this ?

mikeseaton05-02-2012 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TELcp (Post 23201)
    According to the conversation here at https://twitter.com/#!/dottel, new templates should be out soon.

[size]
    Just about every tweet in the https://twitter.com/#!/dottel timeline is a conversation with banned forum member J. Louis of Thetabiz in Panama at his Twitter address https://twitter.com/#!/teldomaintel

With the odd reference to Bunjie - older forum members will remember him - at https://twitter.com/#!/Fustachio

Banned / Retired forum members seem to have graduated to Twitter to discuss .tel !

Mike Seaton[/size]

mikeseaton05-02-2012 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeseaton (Post 23216)
    Banned / Retired forum members seem to have graduated to Twitter to discuss .tel !

[size]
    And to TelTalk.org !

Mike Seaton[/size]

mikeseaton05-03-2012 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dottel.net (Post 23169)
    as always - if folks find that useful then i'll show the two counts. the telnic nameservers would be all the remaining sites not on either telchina or telnames

[size]
    @dottel.net

Do you have an ETA of when the Telnames domain reg count will be added to http://www.dottel.net ?

Thanks, Mike Seaton[/size]

dottel.net05-03-2012 10:18 PM

ops - i can add it anytime. just haven't on purpose as its only changing by single digits so thought it best to hold off publishing till after they've had an official launch.

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)05-04-2012 02:30 AM

121 so far. Will double check later. 
    Mark

dottel.net05-04-2012 09:26 AM

there's 160 total pointing to the telnames namesevers as of last night. 
    Some of these are test sites, etc.
    But the reg count still stands as the domain name is in the zone file.

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)05-09-2012 06:22 PM

Latest Telnames

Latest TelNames sites. Dominated by Golf Equipment company: if only they knew about subdomains, they'd only need to buy one .tel domain. 

I'm keeping the newest at the top of the list from now on.
    Mark

mikeseaton05-09-2012 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Kolb (Kprobe) (Post 23413)
    Latest TelNames sites. Dominated by Golf Equipment company: if only they knew about subdomains, they'd only need to buy one .tel domain.

[size]
    Which wouldn't exactly help Telnames bottom line !

BTW Mark useful list - though I do think expectations of Telnames registration take-off as a result of the forthcoming Business Start Up exhibition in London are probably over-optimistic - what's needed (as has been for 3 years) is worldwide marketing and promotion of .tel !

Mike Seaton[/size]

mikeseaton05-09-2012 06:45 PM

Quote:

Dominated by Golf Equipment company: if only they knew about subdomains, they'd only need to buy one .tel domain.

[size]
    He should know - check the Whois of http://www.easywhois.com/?domain=golfaccessories.tel etc. and you will find it's Kris Lea - who works as a consultant to Telnames !

Mike Seaton[/size]

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)05-09-2012 07:44 PM

Talk about stacking the deck. He also has kl-mc.tel. 
    Mark

aliencafe05-09-2012 07:49 PM

Looks like http://Ballwashers.tel is one of the newest sites. 

Cheers

dialaroom05-09-2012 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aliencafe (Post 23421)
    Looks like http://Ballwashers.tel is one of the newest sites. 

Cheers

[size]
    IMHO - Says it all, don't you think. Telnames has totally lost the plot, it can do nothing but harm to .tels in the long run. No-one will ever re-new these, doubt if google will give them a second glance & when they realise they've been duped it will only be bad press for .tels.[/size]

aliencafe05-09-2012 08:14 PM

I actually thought it was funny and the background was good. I think people populating these backgrounds and not being overwhelmed with folders and complicated CTH is a good thing for the general public.

mikeseaton05-09-2012 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Kolb (Kprobe) (Post 23420)
    Talk about stacking the deck. He also has kl-mc.tel.

[size]
    But not klmc.tel !

I would always go for the non-hyphen version first !

Mike Seaton[/size]
    Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

boracay.tel05-14-2012 06:04 PM

Quote:

Latest TelNames sites. Dominated by Golf Equipment company: if only they knew about subdomains, they'd only need to buy one .tel domain. 

I'm keeping the newest at the top of the list from now on.
    Mark

[size]
    Not seeing any transfers in the count or the names. I think there's about to be a jump in transfers[/size]

mikeseaton05-14-2012 06:29 PM

Here's the Telnames .tel domains (with thumbnail images) listed by my Net-Link Tel Search engine - All and Excluding test sites:

All Telnames domains

Telnames domains Excluding test sites

Mike Seaton

aliencafe05-14-2012 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boracay.tel (Post 23574)
    Not seeing any transfers in the count or the names. I think there's about to be a jump in transfers

[size]
    Boracay, why do you think there will be a jump in transfers?

Thanks in advance.[/size]

boracay.tel05-15-2012 04:53 AM

The business show. They have mentioned a promotional offer.

Regardless, my wife is extremely happy with her 1 page .tel (has been handing out her business card and getting really positive feedback) She is linking across to boracay.tel, but it's not really an important link for her (boracay.tel is staying at name.com with all 3000folders) because her contact information and the presentation is what counts most.

The new templates are really needed for presentation.

dottel.net05-15-2012 05:04 AM

biz show is the 17-19th. so far no change on the single digit regs for telnames.

boracay.tel05-15-2012 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dottel.net (Post 23598)
    so far no change on the single digit regs for telnames.

[size]
    Still not showing the transfers in...I've personally transferred 5 that are not showing in the counts. For what's its worth, the transfers are smooth but taking 7 days out of name.com[/size]

mikeseaton05-15-2012 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boracay.tel (Post 23596)
    The business show. They have mentioned a promotional offer.

[size]
    It would be a good idea for Telnames to publish the Transfer promo code before the show - that way those on this forum who are going to transfer to Telnames once the promo code is published could have their .tel domains transferred and up and running by the time of the show.

This would make it easier for Telnames to convince New Registrants of the Telnames template credibility and would help encourage them to purchase their own .tel at the show.

Mike Seaton

PS The above post assumes of course that the promo code is valid for transfers and not just new registrations.[/size]

mikeseaton05-15-2012 10:45 PM

Here's a link http://www.domainpromocodes.com/add-promo-code that will enable Telnames to publicise their .tel promo code.

Mike Seaton

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 2024-05-02, 7:08 am