The .TEL Community on the .TEL Domain Forum!

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

Registrars & TelHosting

Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

Registrars & TelHosting Empty Registrars & TelHosting

Post by Telnic 2015-01-02, 5:36 am

mikeseaton05-17-2012 03:57 PM

Registrars & TelHosting

Quote:

Originally Posted by boracay.tel (Post 23691)
    It's unbelievable how many things can go wrong, or be different, at each registrar.....Having recently got a back order, I am now a newbie at domain monster.....No wonder telnames was created!

[size]
    It just doesn't make commercial sense for registrars to get involved in TelHosting !

Setting up and then maintaining a secure server just for one (very minor) gTLD is crazy - registrars want to concentrate on their main area of expertise which is domain registration, renewal and transfer in large quantities for the maximum number of gTLDs.

As for registrars developing the TelHosting software to provide more facilities forget it - they've shown over the last 3 years they're just not interested !

IMO TelHosting should be run by one organisation - be that Telnames or Telnic - with all templates available to any registered .tel user (albeit at perhaps different price levels).

If it's Telnames that's going to do it (by agreement with Telnic i.e. Kash has to agree with Kash !) then there should be an annual charge of say $2 - $3 per domain to cover this.

How on earth can .tel be sold to the masses when they see the Telnames image-based template but get a Telnic subdomain one when they register, or vice-versa ?

The current template mess is a recipe for disaster - it needs to be sorted out - now !

Mike Seaton[/size]

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)05-17-2012 04:11 PM

Totally agree re TelHosting. Telnic should run one. Except, there should be flavours with these options. If you want more than 10 subdomains then you can pay a tad more. But all .tels should come with background image at least to level the field. Kash and company needs to work with us to help sell more, not this competing strategy that has caused the delay of new templates and features. This Telnames reseller loophole is insanity and confusing and was not well thought out IMO.

Mark

mikeseaton05-17-2012 06:33 PM

Do others agree with myself and Mark ?

Mike Seaton

dialaroom05-17-2012 07:34 PM

To me the whole telnames.tel thing is a real debacle, if it truly has affected the further development at Telnic, then Telnic has let it's domain holders down.

Telnic has always delivered what it first offered, a cheap, no hosting required, mobile friendly, etc. etc. you know the rest of the description. .tels in their original form still offer this. 

Nobody forced anyone to buy into this, it seemed however that everyone wanted it to be something else, from an instant html seo super web site with every web building bell and whistle, to an instant profit making commodity. It seemed at one time that everyone knew better than Telnic, as to what they should or shouldn't do, but everyone wanted them to do different things, I feel we're reaping the rewards a little for this.

To me it was always a part of any web business, not it's whole.

It is what it is, stripped back to it's original, it is lean fast and totally unique. If you're looking for a measurable ROI, then at the moment I'm sure there are a lot more things you should be doing with your time and money. 

As for me I'm having a bit of fun, in spare time keeping a self-supporting .tel spark alive.

Michael05-17-2012 08:34 PM

I understand what Telnames is trying to accomplish and think there is a market it for it, but never think that development ideas for the bigger picture should be overlooked. I know the world of the internet is becoming more mobile, but that should be the icing on the cake for .tel (something no other tld offers). If development of .tel sites with more capabilities would happen (including sub domains, background images and more) this tld will take off. I hope others continue to see it that way so that maybe we can get to that point.

I am trying to build a nice portfolio of domains and would love to jump in and develop them with new upgrades if they happen.

Michael

dialaroom05-17-2012 08:55 PM

It is impossible for .tel to become all things a hosted website is. Like trying to make red wine from white grapes.

supercyberheroes05-17-2012 09:58 PM

As some one point before, telnames is perfect for name like: my name.tel, yourname.tel, his name.tel, hername.tel or for a small company that has not interest to explote the domain, but for business point of view to make extra cash, its not good; I will rather prefer a .tel domain to build some directories or leasing subdomain trough telvision etc.

Is good that Mikeseaton bring this matter to light; telnic should speak out and tell us what is going on, I am checking telnic the blog and press every single days and I never see a new post, if they do not show us what is coming on the way, let me suggest this: 
    All registrars including telnames should has both CTH, with all features include video, images, promo etc if some one want a single page the price must be at least twice cheaper than the CTH with 3000 sub folder.

Good Mikeseaton to point this matter.

Regards
    http://supercyberheroes.tel

maximka05-17-2012 09:59 PM

----- deleted because of forum migration -----

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)05-17-2012 11:07 PM

Telnames Discount Code

Speaking of pricing, I got this earlier today from an anonymous forum member. Why didn't Telnames announce their £5 discount codeVMFIVE to the forum members? I just don't get Telnic/Telnames arrogance to the only community on the planet that supports this TLD. Completely ridiculous attitude.
    Mark

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)05-17-2012 11:13 PM

Must be part of their marketing campaign ...
    Mark

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)05-17-2012 11:16 PM

Some added news.
    Mark

mikeseaton05-17-2012 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Kolb (Kprobe) (Post 23740)
    Some added news.

[size]
    Mark, that news story reminds me of a launch of a similar idea, just over 3 years ago, by a company I think was called Telnic Limited !

Sorry for the sarcasm, but I'm recovering from reading your post about the failure to let loyal .tel owners on this forum know about the discount code !

Without the software development of forum members, and the cash from investors still just about "keeping the faith", the .tel project is finished !

I've always believed loyalty is a 2-way street - is that Telnic/Telnames view as well ?

Mike Seaton[/size]

Blunderer05-17-2012 11:36 PM

Well at £5 there's a chance that some might actually be bought by SMEs/individuals, rather than for further speculation. We need bums on seats now.

dottel.net05-17-2012 11:41 PM

we'll know tmrw if any did buy today at the show. the five pound price point is right and the way to go for the forseeable future

mikeseaton05-17-2012 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dottel.net (Post 23745)
    we'll know tmrw if any did buy today at the show. the five pound price point is right and the way to go for the forseeable future

[size]
    ...and of course would generate much new business for Telnames if it applied to Transfers as well !

Mike Seaton[/size]

mikeseaton05-18-2012 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Kolb (Kprobe) (Post 23737)
    Must be part of their marketing campaign

[size]
    If you look at the small print in the link above - it was so small I had to look at the source code - you will see thet the £5 reg offer using the code VMFIVE is qualified by the following end date:

Quote:
    [/size]

Offer available to redeem online until 31/7/12

[size]
    So 2.5 months left to take advantage of it - though as I stated Telnames do need to extend it to Transfers as well to really get the business in !

Mike Seaton[/size]

boracay.tel05-18-2012 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeseaton (Post 23752)
    So 2.5 months left to take advantage of it - though as I stated Telnames do need to extend it to Transfers as well to really get the business in !

Mike Seaton

[size]
    It works for transfers.
    Very strategic set for 2.5months.
    I guess they will promote heavily during that time? I'm expecting we will hear more from Justin and a few others ;-)[/size]

maximka05-18-2012 07:48 AM

----- deleted because of forum migration -----

mikeseaton05-18-2012 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maximka (Post 23765)
    What is the situation with transfers away from Telnames?

As a folk saying goes "Before entering somethere, first think how do you will exit out of there".

[size]
    There are currently a couple of issues (hopefully fixed soon) re the Telnames registration setup, that could affect transfer away.

1. Telnames domains are not protected by Client Lock - and you can't set this yourself from the Telnames account

Have a look at the WhoIs for Telnic Aled and you will see domain status "clientTransferProhibited" (which means Locked), then look atTelnames Aled and you will see domain status "ok" (which means Unlocked).

Since Telnames doesn't have an automated way to send the transfer authorisation code you have to make a request to them by email. So if someone can successfully impersonate your sending email address (very easy to do - I won't give details of how to do it here) and get it returned to themselves (not sure how best to do that) then they could potentially get your transfer authorisation code and use it on your unlocked domain.

2. Administrative Contact email address should be set to the Registrant NOT the Reseller/Registrar

When you transfer away a domain an email is often sent to the Administrative Contact email address as part of the transfer away process - but Telnames sets this to itself rather than to the Registrant's details (view the Whois of a domain set to Business rather than Personal to see this).

Of course Telnames will deal with any email sent to them OK, but when I am transferring away a domain I like to be in full control of things myself
    - apart from anything else I don't usually finish work at 6pm but deal with matters in the evenings/weekends as required.

Mike Seaton[/size]

TelRise05-18-2012 07:07 PM

I thought my domain/internet strategy was slightly scatty and disjointed. Compared to Telnic/Telnames strategy, I don't think I'm doing too bad.

Current date/time is 2024-04-27, 3:19 am