The .TEL Community on the .TEL Domain Forum!

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

.tel page content refreshing

Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

.tel page content refreshing Empty .tel page content refreshing

Post by Telnic 2015-01-02, 8:50 am

TELcp09-30-2011 09:24 AM

.tel page content refreshing

to Telnic,

We carried out few tests to check how long it takes to refresh page contents (NAPTR records) updated directly from CTH.
    (Please note that TELcp client was NOT involved in these tests)

Following are the results:

Test 1)
    time: between 0640 - 0700 gmt
    telpage url : acct-0001.v3b.look4.tel
    Registrar : Moniker

NAPTR record created:
    contact information: Email
    Description : My Email
    Value : email@myemail.com
    Record created at CTH : instant
    Created Record refreshed at desktop proxy : after 5mins 11secs
    Same Record deleted at CTH : instant
    Deleted Record refreshed (deleted) at desktop proxy : after 5 mins 24secs

Test 2)
    time: between 0702 - 07008 gmt
    telpage url :companyname.tel
    Registrar : Name.com

NAPTR record created:
    contact information: Email
    Description : My Email
    Value : email@myemail.com
    Record created at CTH : instant
    Created Record refreshed at desktop proxy : after 1min 34secs
    Same Record deleted at CTH : instant
    Deleted Record refreshed (deleted) at desktop proxy : after 1min 11secs

We were compelled to carry out this little test after watching very carefully (for more than 24 hrs) that loo4.tel takes longer time to refresh its content.

Compare the tests.

Telnic, can you please tell us what could be the reason for this?
    We have given all required info for you to investigate.

Anyway,for your information, we can update any content, similar to records at .tel pages, using a traditional website hosted at Hostgator and observe the changes instantly (however, we are aware that these pages can get cached at any time anywhere during transit and updates can be delayed for hours. But under normal conditions refresh rate is much faster than that of telpages). These observations were made using private proxies from North America and Europe too. - So where does the .tel technology stand? What can we sell to the end user?

Under these circumstances when the tel page content refresh rate is slower compared to traditional website, it is IMPOSSIBLE to promote/market the .tel domain or anything to do with .tel domain. Speed is VERY IMPORTANT for communication.

We find it difficult to explain these things to our clients. 
    If these issues are not addressed on priority basis, the consequences could be very tragic as far as the .tel TLD is concerned.

Best Regards

P.S.
    We would appreciate all other interested parties who wish to see the success of the .tel domain carry out similar tests and forward to Telnic. - Thanks

Simon G09-30-2011 12:31 PM

The time for update to visible on proxys has confused me also. Would agree that records need to be updated asap, Rather than the current random nature.
    At the moment updates do not seem to happen in realtime when viewed through the proxys.

Telcp.
    How are you doing this test? do you have software to refresh the page every second or are you doing this manually.

TELcp09-30-2011 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon G (Post 17849)
    Telcp.
    How are you doing this test? do you have software to refresh the page every second or are you doing this manually.

[size]
    All tests were done manually.
    Record duration is based on averages (give it a 1sec plus or minus, maxi).

Cheers![/size]

boracay.tel09-30-2011 03:05 PM

its pretty simple. asked this a year ago or more.

it very much depends on the size of your .tel
    boracay.tel has a few thousand folders. edits take up to 15 mins to resolve
    other .tels at same registrar (very small with just a few folders) about a minute.

that simple.

Aled09-30-2011 03:38 PM

TelCP, please remember, that you these are different technologies you are comparing:

• .tel is different than other web products; the information is not hard coded into html
    • The information is stored in the DNS. Hence, what is updated in the CTH has to be sent to the DNS
    • This is completely different from publishing to a web server; no DNS records need to be changed
    • Hostgator will likely be performing updates to a single database. Your .tel is a globally distributed architecture and as such it needs to update across all of those locations.

The changes you make to the CTH need to be sent to the DNS and as such the volume of changes being sent to the DNS will affect the speed of updates

This process means that there are a number of factors which can affect the speed at which an update made through the CTH appears on the proxy:
    - The volume of changes being sent to the DNS
    - Caching (either locally on the user machine, or on the network), and other network issues affecting either the speed of update to the DNS or the subsequent propagation to the web proxies
    - The speed of the actual DNS updates can also be affected by the load on the DNS
    - The size of the .tel being updated can have a significant impact on the speed of update to the DNS. A number of checks performed through a .tel during an update as many updates have an impact outside the actual element being changed. As such, .tels with a large number of folders/content are likely to see a slightly longer update time than .tels with a single folder containing one record.

One factor which does not have an impact is the registrar partition used. All partitions update directly to the DNS in the same manner with no preference between partitions

TELcp10-01-2011 04:19 AM

@Aled, Telnic

We are very well aware of the difference between the two technologies. And also their present (and possibly the future to a certain extent) capabilities. That is why so much concerned about the .tel domain as we have put in lot of time and invested lot of money on that.

However, with regards to the above results of the tests we carried out, it should be noted that the domain "look4.tel" had only 25 sub folders. Probably just 3 of them had contents in them. Total (in the domain) must have been something like 2-3 titles, 2-3 headers, NO images and less than 10 NAPTR records at the time of testing. Imagine having 1000 sub folders!

The end users are least bothered to find out how they get to see the content updated and the technology behind it. Their concern is only about "how fast" they get to see this done.

We understand that many .tel pages (thousands of pages) in a single domain can delay the process of updating content But the .tel has to keep up with the phase of development of other technologies and compete with them. Once again, the end users do not care about whether it's a .tel, .com or .ANY. All what they look for is "SPEED".

So, we will explain to our clients how the .tel works today when there are many pages in one domain. At the same time we can not hide the fact that the existence of other technologies and their capabilities that can compete with the tel. We shall let them do the comparison and decide.

Our next question (based on questions from clients) is as follows 
    Will there be any delay in loading a .tel domain if it has many .tel pages? 
    Assume this .tel domain has no current pending updates.

Best Regards

Aled10-01-2011 08:11 AM

I'm not sure I understand the question. Are you referring to "loading" a .tel into a browser (i.e. viewing a .tel page)? If so, the size of the whole .tel has no effect, just the number of records that are pulled from the DNS for that specific folder.

TELcp10-01-2011 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aled (Post 17889)
    I'm not sure I understand the question. Are you referring to "loading" a .tel into a browser (i.e. viewing a .tel page)? If so, the size of the whole .tel has no effect, just the number of records that are pulled from the DNS for that specific folder.

[size]
    Yes, that's the question I meant.
    And thanks for the answer.

Now, going back to your reply to my original question in the post,
    QUOTE:
    The changes you make to the CTH need to be sent to the DNS and as such the volume of changes being sent to the DNS will affect the speed of updates

This process means that there are a number of factors which can affect the speed at which an update made through the CTH appears on the proxy:
    - The volume of changes being sent to the DNS
    - Caching (either locally on the user machine, or on the network), and other network issues affecting either the speed of update to the DNS or the subsequent propagation to the web proxies
    - The speed of the actual DNS updates can also be affected by the load on the DNS
    - The size of the .tel being updated can have a significant impact on the speed of update to the DNS. A number of checks performed through a .tel during an update as many updates have an impact outside the actual element being changed. As such, .tels with a large number of folders/content are likely to see a slightly longer update time than .tels with a single folder containing one record.
    UNQUOTE:

Now, assume a .tel domain 'A' with 1000 folder and a total of 100,000 records in them,
    and the owner of the domain updates only 1 record a day(once a day). And assume another .tel domain 'B' with 1 folder and 1 record (identical as in domain 'A'), and the owner of the domain updates only 1 record a day(once a day).

How would you compare the Speed of update of above records made thru CTH appearing on the proxies of 'A' and 'B'?

Thanks.[/size]

Aled10-01-2011 10:19 AM

As mentioned by Boracay above, and in my explanation, larger .tels will, by their very nature, generally take longer to update in the DNS. As I also mention, there are a large number of factors involved, so I can't give actual timings.

TELcp10-01-2011 05:49 PM

@Aled

Sorry! I am not satisfied with the reply.
    No need to quote boracay.tel (imagine he never said anything in this post).

All I need to know is how would you (Telnic) compare the timing of A and B if the update is made under identical conditions (such as same registrar, same ISP of the person who is making the update etc).? In my question only one record is being updated. You can even consider taking the average timings (of several attempts) as two update from the same person can not take place simultaneously, thus making it difficult to consider external factors affecting them.

The question is very straightforward. Just need to know if the timing is going to be the same or not. If not, please explain why it can not be the same.

We are trying to promote and market the .tel domain (not only the tel pages of directories). So, people often ask questions about what benefit they out of a .tel domain. They think they get penalized when it come to update even one record a day just because they have created many folders. They argue technically that it shouldn't matter whether you have one folder or 1000 folders if you are going to update only ONE RECORD a day. And we don't have the perfect answers for them.

Thanks..

Current date/time is 2024-05-19, 12:29 am