The .TEL Community on the .TEL Domain Forum!

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

This forum is so...

Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

This forum is so... Empty This forum is so...

Post by Telnic 2015-01-02, 12:05 pm

mikeseaton02-20-2012 12:11 AM

This forum is so...

Quote:

...quiet these days - the buzz seems to have gone out of it compared to a year or so ago.

[size]
    Well the buzz has certainly returned in the last few days (post edited 11 April 2012) thanks to the http://Telnames.tel effect !

Mike Seaton[/size]

Kartoshka02-23-2012 12:27 AM

to renew or not to renew....

out of my current 100%, april 2012 i will probably greet with max. 8-12% remaining. not projecting my figures on total registrations; telnic please do something radical to have new buyers coming - as old ones, and me amongst them, are loosing faith.

Geo02-23-2012 01:24 AM

Maybe we should have a contest. Each person submits one or two names which they've been just sitting on without content, and let's see who can in the next month make the most out of nothing....

1) most improved domain
    2) most beautiful design
    3) most interesting use of a tel
    4) most increased traffic
    5) most money generated from Adsense
    6) most money generated from other means
    7) most successful SEO / ranking in Google
    most innovative marketing strategy

Or

Let's put our minds together and brainstorm on what to do with each domain... what would be the best use / marketing / SEO / images, etc. Create a individual threads for each domain... This would not only inspire motivation to get something done, but also give people ideas and above all to reinforce the important truth that life is what we make it. And when it comes to Tel, we're in this together.

Or 

maybe Telnic might like to host a contest for various categories, to inspire and create some buzz - they could make it part of their newsletter. How about it Telnic... but put a real reward out, like a free domain renewal?

Cheers.

mikeseaton02-25-2012 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeseaton (Post 20431)
    ...quiet these days - the buzz seems to have gone out of it compared to a year or so ago.

Telnic, how about considering "unbanning" some of those who are still heavily involved in .tel but who are no longer permitted to put forward their ideas here - for example JLouisBiz, Mactel, and several others still banned.

Provided those invited back are not offensive in their posting why not let JLouisBiz, Mactel etc. have a say on this forum - great ideas like .tel often need the involvement of those who think and act differently from others.

[size]
    No response from Telnic - so I guess the answer is we don't want too much criticism from the likes of the above !

I personally think that constructive criticism helps develop products - the alternative can be a market where potential buyers ignore your product because their perfectly reasonable objections to purchase have never been adequately aired and dealt with.

Mike Seaton[/size]

Cees02-25-2012 10:45 PM

Mike, correct, with yes men/women you wont get the answers you need.

Geo02-26-2012 06:07 AM

Actually, I wouldn't necessarily place all the blame on Telnic... I imagine that the wind has somewhat left their sails as well as ours... and it's largely due to a general economic downturn... I see it and feel it with other domains too. I think that we are presently going through what the economist Kontratief called an economic winter... in the wake of what was an overly exuberant internet season as well as the meteoric rise of the stock market due to ultra low interest rates... that fueled various bubbles. 

So what we have now is economic conditions that favor the very large banks and corporations, but not the smaller corporations and mom&pop shops and webpreneurs such as us. I would argue that it makes sense for .Tel to become popular, but the deciding factor isn't what is best for the internet, but what is best for the big corporations... who are interested in full spectrum dominance of the internet. 

Google wants what is best for Google, and not necessarily what is best for us or the internet. The same can be said for Facebook, Yahoo, MSN, etc. Facebook wants everyone to sign up with them and for our facebook IDs to become the standard focal point for communications. Google too with their insistence now that all Google products should converge into one. They are steering us to positively ID ourselves with respect to our online IDs and in line with this they came up with Android which ties each individual to a specific device that connects all IDs through Gmail, Google+, Adsense, etc. 

I think that Telnic is caught in the middle - they are responsible for a system that is intended to serve the individual, but at the same time it's a system that will have a very hard time taking flight without integral support and adoption from the big players. But at some point, the big players are afraid of losing their dominance...

So what is the solution? I think as with everything these days, we, the people, the domainers, the individual and family and small business entrepreneurs, need to take it upon ourselves to encourage and inspire others to support and build up adoption of systems and facilities that best serve the small guy, and not count on the big guys. 

We need to see the reality and then consider how to shape it ourselves... just how do we do that I don't quite know... yet.

Geo02-26-2012 06:19 AM

If I may suggest one thing... it is that we think about how we can generate our own buzz...

Let's make a list of ideas...

Here's one... how about contacting some .Tel owners and inviting them to join us at this forum... we could send emails via their whois contact info. 

We could put together our own monthly newsletter, showcasing the best .Tels we like, in various categories, with tips for SEO, monetization, development and user tutorials, and advertising third party tools by those who are actively involved in this forum. 

Let's take the bull by the horns. I would suggest a few of the veterans here lead and whoever wants to contribute can, and be rewarded with a plug for their service, .Tel, etc.

Cheers

dialaroom02-26-2012 12:15 PM

@geo - great posts, if we were to harness all the negative energy, or "it's all Telnic's fault" posts into positive pro-active posts and ideas it would go someway to making .tel into a truly recognised uniquely useful must have tld.

Idea - Google has Google+, Facebook has Followers, Twitter has Tweeeters etc. 

Perhaps .tel needs "Tellers" and a clickable social media icon on every .tel. Could be alternate use of .tel icon with "do tell" or something clever, that posts to our facebook, twitter linked in accs. the url of the .tel we click on. 

Telnic's community forum used to buzz, perhaps we need a new group within it, to invite all members, the "do tel group" or something to comment on what can be done with .tel, not what can't. The power of positive .telling.

maximka02-26-2012 03:20 PM

---------- deleted for privacy because of forum migration ----------------

dottel.net02-26-2012 03:59 PM

you couldn't do that on freshly registered .tel's as its up to each individual registrar what they do with it. more often then not, they publish links back to their own main website....

mikeseaton02-26-2012 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geo (Post 20527)
    Here's one... how about contacting some .Tel owners and inviting them to join us at this forum... we could send emails via their whois contact info.

[size]
    ...or get 706 forum members who aren't currently active interested in participating again as suggested here.

Mike Seaton[/size]

mikeseaton02-26-2012 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dottel.net (Post 20533)
    you couldn't do that on freshly registered .tel's as its up to each individual registrar what they do with it. more often then not, they publish links back to their own main website....

[size]
    What would be really nice, and help avoid the "empty .tel" syndrome, would be for the default .tel layout (i.e. what appears automatically after registration) to be specified by the .tel account owner.

It could then be just a few minutes work for the new .tel to be personalised - it's always easier to change a few details than create a .tel from scratch.

Mike Seaton

PS. Obviously you could also achieve this by a restore from a "skeleton" .tel layout.[/size]

TelRise02-27-2012 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeseaton (Post 20536)
    What would be really nice, and help avoid the "empty .tel" syndrome, would be for the default .tel layout (i.e. what appears automatically after registration) to be specified by the .tel account owner.

It could then be just a few minutes work for the new .tel to be personalised - it's always easier to change a few details than create a .tel from scratch.

Mike Seaton

PS. Obviously you could also achieve this by a restore from a "skeleton" .tel layout.

[size]
    This is a great suggestion. There are far too many .tels with no content. If each .tel had at least some basic information added, indexing by search engines would increase visibility. A search on Telpages could soon put off potential users when they see so many blank sites. It doesn't take a lot of effort to fill out a page or two.[/size]

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)02-27-2012 09:40 PM

Furthermore if related Tels shared one-way links, that would increase SEO.
    Mark

mikeseaton02-27-2012 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TelRise (Post 20569)
    A search on Telpages could soon put off potential users when they see so many blank sites.

[size]
    It would be quite an easy mod to TelPages to exclude from its listings those .tels which only have the minimum 1 contact entry, so removing most of what are considered "blank sites".

Mike Seaton[/size]

mikeseaton03-12-2012 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeseaton (Post 20536)

Mike Seaton

PS. Obviously you could also achieve this by a restore from a "skeleton" .tel layout.

[size]
    A thread describing this approach to creating a Parking Page has been created at http://telnic.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2631

Mike Seaton[/size]

Current date/time is 2024-05-07, 10:42 am