The .TEL Community on the .TEL Domain Forum!

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

Directory publishers need data. Where?

Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

Directory publishers need data. Where? Empty Directory publishers need data. Where?

Post by Telnic 2015-01-02, 1:51 pm

aliencafe02-10-2011 01:08 AM

Directory publishers need data. Where?

I have several names that would be good directories, and many other. tel owners do as well.

What I have found that the only barrier to entry now is finding and getting the actual business location and phone number data. 

A good example is Waikiki.tel, I spent about a week compiling the small amount of info I could manually find and entered it. This is Neither efficient or effective for large scale operations.

1. Since I'm not a directory publisher where can I purchase small business dir. info? i.e. phone numbers and addresses for businesses in Waikiki.

2. Can I get this info in a format where I can upload a .tel domain with one of Mark's upload tools at Telmasters.

I think this will help a lot of .tel owners create directories. Which in turn will create publicity.

Especially with the new tel ads image options, most of us are highly motivated to do so.

Thanks again Telnic team for continuously working hard and following through.

Much appreciated.

Simon G02-10-2011 10:07 AM

Aliencafe,here are my thought.
    there are a number or directory data producers around. Webscrapers (or something similar) and quite a few others which can be found in the namepros near the web development section. If you can find them Let me know I'll look for the link when near a pc. The problem is getting current and original data. Which you need to check..
    It could be possible to find cheaper datamining outfits via offshoring. But the one I tried looked rather expensive for what I was wanting. I have been collecting flyers or my subject area anytime I as people that are already paying for flyers/leaflets will both have allure critical
    Info on them and be may be more open other advertising methods (.tel)
    As far as uploading with marks tools I was playing around with excel, the concatenate function (to insert commands,)find and replace and, .txt/.csv files which seemed to work fairly well. Used this for a
    Small amount of entry's (50 or so over different file paths)
    The most labororous task was pinning down positions(geocoding) as in the uk postcode data, can be fairly general and limited to an area rather than a building.. So I suspect this has to be done
    Manually. Google maps have a position tool which can be loaded up from there submenu and will allow you to capture positions then copy/paste them. You need to be signed into the google account to use it. 
    Let me known if you want further info or you find a quicker/better way to do it.

tony mayo02-10-2011 01:15 PM

@aliencafe

Reliable up-to-date directory data is very expensive.
    I have been building directories the hard way (some might say the mad way!) - similar to Simon G - but this is not viable in the long-term.

However, on the positive side, my labours are paying off in helping to showcase the powerful directory features of .tel, to local businesses and organisations - particuarly in mobile phone browsers.

And also importantly I have used the directories to successfully push traffic to my daily news website, www.mayotoday.ie 

As regards bulk upload, Telmasters have a tool for this which I am sure is very good. Unfortunately, I have been unable to master it so far - and, in fairness, I put this down to my own technical limitations even despite much appreciated help in this regard from Mark Kolb.

I had to withdraw from a major public service web project recently that would have used my .tel directories with huge marketing potential because I just hadn't the time to upload the extra data required by the developers.

We need an easy to use tool for bulk uploading to get a critical mass of .tel domains populated and this will help push the domain into the mainstream.

tindaya02-10-2011 05:26 PM

A problem I see is that if you realize that you have a directory poorly organized and want to change it, can not create a subdirectory to another file. Ideally, such windows, or something.

libros
    tdah
    camino del cid

mikeseaton02-10-2011 06:26 PM

Building Automated Directories

Dot Tels themselves contain structured data that can be used to build directories - if you go into TelHosting and Add Keywords you will see that there is structured, computer readable data for:

- Name
    - Address
    - Business Address
    - Business Information
    - Directory Information
    - Hobbies & Interests
    - Free Text

IMO there are just 3 additons to the current fields that are needed to enable fully automated directory creation from Dot Tels - these are:

1. Country to be a dropdown list in "Business Address" - the current text entry approach means software has to allow for America, US, USA, United States, Unites States of America all being the same entry - and so on for other country name variations.

2. A universally accepted Business Classification code to be selected from a dropdown list.

3. A telephone number field that is input in international format.

You do of course need an extract software routine coded to read this information - this would be an extremely useful tool if a 3rd party were willing to develop it - maybe charging a monthly fee for its use.

The obvious advantage of such an approach is that the Dot Tel owners would do the work of keeping their data up-to-date through updating their own Dot Tels - your automated directory would be as up-to-date as your last use of the extract software routine.

Mike Seaton

aliencafe02-11-2011 12:41 AM

Mike in regards to "Dot Tels themselves contain structured data that can be used to build directories - if you go into TelHosting and Add Keywords you will see that there is structured, computer readable data for:

- Name
    - Address
    - Business Address
    - Business Information
    - Directory Information
    - Hobbies & Interests
    - Free Text"

I would agree with you, however my point is the actual data of 100,000 businesses in a certain area cannot be compiled by hand and entered by each .tel owner.

We need access to this data- ideas?

Cheers!

TELcp02-19-2011 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aliencafe (Post 12723)
    I would agree with you, however my point is the actual data of 100,000 businesses in a certain area cannot be compiled by hand and entered by each .tel owner.

We need access to this data- ideas?

Cheers!

[size]
    Hi,

The new TELcp V2.0 may have an answer for this. Check it out at www.telcp.com

- TELcp[/size]

dottel02-21-2011 11:29 AM

What kind of database you are looking for?
    You need to select a niche as directory data is all about categorised information.

If you need Golf Database for your golf directory then here is the site that sells the required data
    http://www.golfcoursedatabases.com/

dottel02-21-2011 11:35 AM

For those who are looking for 

Estate Agent Database
    Commercial Agent Database
    Solicitor Database
    Accountant Database
    Property Investment Database
    Property Development Database
    Nursing Home Database
    Hotel Database
    Golf Course Database
    Architect Database
    Mortgage Broker Database
    Finance Broker Database
    Housing Association Database
    Restaurant Database
    Catering Database
    Nightclub Database
    Hairdresser Database
    Beauty Salon Database
    Insurance Broker Database
    Pension Fund Database
    Caravan Park Database
    Surveyor Database

here is the link
    http://www.simply-data.net

some other sites selling the databases
    http://www.datab2b.co.uk/
    http://www.specialdatabases.com/
    http://www.prospectlist.com/b2b_database.aspx

Note: if you do your research properly you can find these databases for pretty cheap price.

tindaya02-21-2011 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TELcp (Post 12894)
    Hi,

The new TELcp V2.0 may have an answer for this. Check it out at www.telcp.com

- TELcp

[size]
    How can I access the v2? I've seen domain share access to another user. But how do you do to raise a large database?[/size]

TELcp02-21-2011 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tindaya (Post 12963)
    How can I access the v2? I've seen domain share access to another user. But how do you do to raise a large database?

[size]
    Hi,

First you need to register as a tel domain owner. After that you can follow the online instructions. Many people have registered and used the system. Its not difficult.
    Registration for tel Owner and thereafter upto 10 invited tel Users are FREE of charge. And you can manage upto 100 tel pages from the TELcp interface FREE of charge.
    When you add domains, the system will auto populate only the first 100 tel pages (or folders whatever call it). If you have large database of more than 100 telpages, then you will have to use a paid customized solution. Paid solutions will be available by mid March.

- TELcp[/size]

Current date/time is 2024-05-08, 3:30 pm