The .TEL Community on the .TEL Domain Forum!

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

SEO and hidden subfolders.

Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

SEO and hidden subfolders. Empty SEO and hidden subfolders.

Post by Telnic 2015-01-03, 4:30 am

maximka03-12-2010 05:37 AM

SEO and hidden subfolders.

Once I had hidden few subforlders by using function "remove from folder" (not "delete" function). After that these few subfolders became not visible on my TEL. But it appeared that user can see them than he print addresses of those subfolders directly in the browser. The question is: do search engines see such subfolders also? And if so, do search engines index these subfolders? 

I mean, if I will place a lot of unique content in my TEL and then I will make subfolders with this content "invisible" for user by "remove from folder" function, then this my TEL have a chance to get a better ratings - in comparison with any emty TEL?

henri03-12-2010 11:07 AM

If the folders aren't linked from anywhere, the search engines (and people) won't know they exist unless you tell them.

tel4rent03-12-2010 11:19 AM

Hi,

"Create a link to this folder" if this function is unchecked i guess that the folder is hidden. Therefore search engine do not index them, people can not find them unless given to them. Is that correct?

If so, when u add a text to the "free text" in the keyword section, will the text be visible to search engine. The reason i am asking this question is because it was written somewhere that anything written in the keyword section is public.

Is it public regardless if the folder visible or not?

Be well.

henri03-12-2010 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tel4rent (Post 6658)
    Hi,

"Create a link to this folder" if this function is unchecked i guess that the folder is hidden. Therefore search engine do not index them, people can not find them unless given to them. Is that correct?

If so, when u add a text to the "free text" in the keyword section, will the text be visible to search engine. The reason i am asking this question is because it was written somewhere that anything written in the keyword section is public.

Is it public regardless if the folder visible or not?

Be well.

[size]
    The keywords are public in the sense that they can't be encrypted (i.e. "made private to friends"). However, if the folder is hidden, everything published in it is hidden. So unless people know that aai9xu7fyy73kf.mydomain.tel exists, they won't be able to see what's in it: contact info, keywords, loc records, etc... will not be visible because they won't know the domain name.

The difference is: private data is encrypted, data in hidden folders is obfuscated.[/size]

JLouisBiz03-12-2010 05:39 PM

If you wanna hide something from public, don't put it on TEL domain. 

I remember once, I was giving a made-up link to a friend, over ICQ, and was observing if the friend clicks on it or not, and guess what, Google Bot was faster, it slurped my URL which I gave over ICQ. How, why, I don't know. But URL was slurped, directly into the search engine.

Consider also following situation:

1. You place Google Adsense on all your subdomains;
    2. You make hidden "subfolder";
    3. You click yourself on the hidden subfolder;
    4. Moment after Mediabot from Google is reading your domain;
    5. Your domain will very soon appear in Google search results;

I have numerous domains, and if I wish to launch for example 20 new domains, I run a command like: quicklanuch domain1.com domain2.com domain3.com and all domains appear with basic dumb page on Google, but they rank better (for almost no content) and get into the Google faster then other domains, because there is Google Adsense on them. I have some domains ranking better then people trying to achieve the same for years.

So, don't think TEL subdomain folder will be "hidden", as it is bad idea to hide information by putting it on Internet.

maximka03-12-2010 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLouisBiz (Post 6673)
    So, don't think TEL subdomain folder will be "hidden", as it is bad idea to hide information by putting it on Internet.

[size]
    So, if Google Adsense will be put at "hidden" subfolders of TEL-domain, than these subfolders can be used for better domain indexing, like here:
    Quote:
    [/size]

Originally Posted by maximka (Post 6647)
    I mean, if I will place a lot of unique content in my TEL and then I will make subfolders with this content "invisible" for user by "remove from folder" function, then this my TEL have a chance to get a better ratings - in comparison with any emty TEL?

JLouisBiz03-12-2010 07:18 PM

I know what you mean. Google will index your whole website as one, and it will consider folders as directories, although with probably better ranking, like TELNIC marketing machine claims.

But, if subdomains are not connected to each other, you will get in some search engines separate websites, such as BING. But all show on the same main domain, in the webmaster tools on BING.

Conclusion: there is slight difference for search engine ranking if folders are not directly linked, but submitted to search engine separately.

tel4rent03-12-2010 09:55 PM

Interesting JLouis...have you tested what you said below?

The reason i asked that question is to find out the best way to add keywords in a folder that is hidden but still doing the job of a "keywords". I know that you said many times to write something meaningful instead of a set of keywords but still things that keeping a folder hidden with keywords could be cool..at least for me...

anyway what could be the purpose of hiding a folder with stuff (a part that you want to share with only specific people)? for business or "day to day user"? specially that it could be indexed as you explained below.

Thanks for the explanation.

Be well

JLouisBiz03-12-2010 10:26 PM

Well, you can hide keywords. They are within following tags:

I have deleted this message, as I am mistaken. You cannot specify your own CSS, but that would be cool to be able to change my website as we like.

Telnic gives only an option to specify different CSS ID, which means, they control it. 

We can only dream about specifying our own CSS.

tel4rent03-13-2010 04:29 PM

@ Tenic,

I would like your input on the following (related to folders and subfolders):

1- i have noticed that you can create a visible subfolder within an unvisible/hidden folder. Will that subfolder be indexed and visible to public?

2- Is there a possibility to work on a folder and publish it or make it visible only once all the data is entered?

3- Once a folder is created without checking "Create a link to this folder" (which means it is invisible/hidden to the public), can you later make it visible or public? If so how?

Be well.

maximka03-13-2010 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tel4rent (Post 6692)
    ...anyway what could be the purpose of hiding a folder with stuff (a part that you want to share with only specific people)? for business or "day to day user"? specially that it could be indexed as you explained below.

[size]
    As for me, my intention was to prevent from stealing the unique textual content - in the TEL, which is used not as an informational directory, but as a visit card of a company or business. Because to hide content from a user in an informational directory it is a nonsense.[/size]

JLouisBiz03-13-2010 06:38 PM

When you create a folder without a link, the link on the mother page does not show, so people cannot browse to the folder.

For example, mother page is: mother.tel and you create folder child.mother.tel without a link.

If you wish to make it visible, simply create a GO TO TEL link on mother.tel to be named child and that's it.

tel4rent03-13-2010 10:35 PM

JLouis...thanks for the tip. I got what you mean. Did not see it that way initially...great!

But that particular folder is still not indexed by search engine...right?

Which mean that if a user wants to hide a folder but his friend copy and paste into a GO TO that folder is not hidden anymore :)...wouldn't it better to have a option to enable or disable a folder.

Anyway, still waiting for telnic feedback on my questions below.

JLouisBiz03-13-2010 10:51 PM

If it is indexed by some search engine, or not, you can check out in your STATS.

And you can make entries in the folder and HIDE A PROFILE.

nadya03-14-2010 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tel4rent (Post 6735)
    I would like your input on the following (related to folders and subfolders):

1- i have noticed that you can create a visible subfolder within an unvisible/hidden folder. Will that subfolder be indexed and visible to public?

2- Is there a possibility to work on a folder and publish it or make it visible only once all the data is entered?

3- Once a folder is created without checking "Create a link to this folder" (which means it is invisible/hidden to the public), can you later make it visible or public? If so how?

[size]
    Hi,

Yes, you can create a folder and not link to it, which means people and search engines will only find it if they are given the link. From the point of view of the DNS structure, there is no difference between "hidden" or "visible" folders, they all exist equally under your domain. It's your choice to create links to them - under your domain or elsewhere. 

Once you create a public record in a folder, it's in the DNS. If the record is private, it's encrypted and cannot be seen. If it's public, it can be seen. If you wish to work on a folder and then reveal it to the public, you can create a "hidden" folder and never give any links to it. And, if the info is very important, create all contact items as private. 

You can link to any subfolder at any time. For that, Add a new contact type and choose "Go to" in the type dropdown menu. In the value, type in the folder name. If you're linking to an immediate subfolder, just type in the folder name. If you're linking to a subfolder in a different tree structure, or a different .tel name, type in the full path. 

I hope this answers your questions.[/size]

tel4rent03-15-2010 11:24 AM

Thank you very much for the clarification. Appreciated.

As i understood from your reply below. All our folders "hidden or visible" are created in the DNS and accessible to anyone. 

1- Why is that anyone with programming skills able to access my very own information?
    2- What is the best option to move or copy sub-folders to other folders? It is very time consuming to recreate them and then move/copy the content.
    3- Could you make it protected or only accessible to the owner of the DNS data? Basically like the credential needed to access my host server where my domain info are stored. I mean that as of today, to access my dot tel domain i need to log in via a control panel to read, change, delete etc...Shouldn't it be the same when accessing the same information via other means or tools?

As always thank you for your continuous support.

Be well.

dottel.net03-15-2010 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tel4rent (Post 6785)
    1- Why is that anyone with programming skills able to access my very own information?

[size]
    ? the data is being stored unencrypted in the public dns and available for all to query. doesnt even require programming skills, just a simple dig command line can also query and retrieve the data.

its also the same reason there are things like superbook, etc available. they are all querying the dns for the data just like the tel proxy does.[/size]

nadya03-15-2010 11:54 AM

Hi tel4rent,

Re 1 and 3, storing public data in the DNS is the core feature of .tel domains, it's how it is all built. Yes, anybody can access it, including users of Superbook and other mobile apps, anybody typing in a URL in a browser and so forth. There's a difference between the control panel, which allows you to WRITE data into your .tel, and general access to the DNS to READ data. 

If you wish to hide information, you can make it private and encrypted, so that even if somebody finds the folder, they won't be able to access information in it. Worse case, you just get an empty folder with a custom header such as "Under construction" or "In progress". 

With regards to folder management, there are no bulk operations currently available in the control panel, although we are looking at making folder management simpler with the redesign of the control panel. 

Meanwhile, you could create a backup copy and edit it manually to copy-paste whole folders and then renaming those folder copies as necessary. Please be advised that this requires manual editing of XML data and needs to be handled with care.

JLouisBiz03-15-2010 12:17 PM

Quote:

Meanwhile, you could create a backup copy and edit it manually to copy-paste whole folders and then renaming those folder copies as necessary. Please be advised that this requires manual editing of XML data and needs to be handled with care.

[size]
    Nadya, that advice is really not for any end-users, and developers know that already. TEL domain owners are buyers of a service, and not explorers of esoteric computer skills.

But, I think you should consider to make an option like this in control panel, COPY and PASTE.

On every folder, you introduce simply COPY PASTE buttons, and if I click on COPY, than it would remember WHOLE structure of the page, likestupid-videos.stupid.tel and when I move somewhere else, I could simply click PASTE and the structure from stupid-videos.stupid.tel would be copied into stupid-things.stupid.tel

Simple READ of folder information, slight changes, and PASTE (update) of the whole folder with previous data.

Why? Because I do need my company information be placed on 150+ domains. And some people's information too, and some other important information too. 

Is it better to have hundreds of updates by people copying that information, or to have 10 times lesser updates by using COPY/PASTE?![/size]

nadya03-15-2010 12:38 PM

Louis,

I don't disagree with you and I have already confirmed that we are working to make folder management easier as part of the CTH redesign.

Current date/time is 2024-05-08, 8:23 pm