The .TEL Community on the .TEL Domain Forum!

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

Make TelFriends Simple

Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

Make TelFriends Simple Empty Make TelFriends Simple

Post by Telnic 2015-01-03, 7:44 am

TELcp04-08-2012 06:26 AM

Make TelFriends Simple

Make TelFriends Simple - Viewing Private Data is IMPORTANT
    [size]

I am making this request again at the request of many .tel Owners (Not members from this forum though).
    There are considerable number of .tel Owners who have discovered this unique feature can be very useful in selecting their audiences (groups) for communication.

A .tel Owner can devote few hours to study the CTH, third party tools/apps/services and decide what he/she should deliver through the .tel domain.
    And, with the "Private Data View" Option, he/she has the freedom to select/nominate group(s) that are allowed to view confidential contact information or notes.
    The .tel is very straightforward up to this point. All done by the .tel Owner himself/herself.

Now the problem starts when it comes to viewing the "Private Data" published data on the .tel Domain.
    The present system requires all visitors to the .tel domain to become a member at TelFriends, and get approval from the .tel Owner, if they wish to read "Private Data"
    The problem is most of these visitors DO NOT want to "become members at TelFriends".
    Some of them have even complained to .tel Owners about this calling the feature very "unpleasant", "why should I", "Just another way to collect email addresses", etc to name a few.

Ultimately who suffers?
    The .tel Owners.

.tel Owners think twice before they publish any "Private Data".
    Publishing private data is kind of "A nuisance" according to some .tel Owners.

As a result, one of the most important features of the .tel technology is not being used by the majority of .tel Owners today.

The only way to encourage .tel Owners to use this feature is just by making it simple to the viewer (the visitor to the .tel Domain).
    I have explained a simple solution very clearly in this forum.
    That is to create dummy/slave accounts at TelFriends by the .tel Owner himself/herself, without getting the visitors involved in creating (forcing to create) accounts at TelFriends.

I believe this simple modification to the existing TelFriends will no doubt change the way we communicate today.

P.S.
    [/size]

• BTW, I am aware that majority of the forum members, who are mainly interested in buying & selling of tel domains with their short term investment plans, may not back this kind of suggestions for the long term development of the .tel domain.
    • However, I do respect their views and interests. But at the same time the interests of the .tel Owners who want to make .tel part of their lives should NOT be ignored at any cost. The future of the .tel domain lies NOT in the views published in this forum, but by overcoming the difficulties faced by the actual users of the .tel domain.
    • Looking back, one can notice that Telnic has put the .tel back on its TRUE heading. The important thing is to keep the SET course steady.

Cees04-08-2012 09:39 PM

TElcp,
    I will let you speak for me!
    I absolutely feel that this feature is or should be one of .tels killer features, I don't use it because it's implementation absorbs big time, and if I as a consumer am confronted with x amount of hurdle's or hoops to jump through I leave, and I'm guessing most of my fellow travellers do likewise.
    Thanks for highlighting this critical point yet again.

boracay.tel04-09-2012 03:11 AM

Telfriends is ridiculous currently. I have no idea which password is for which domain, or what's linked, or some other craziness 

Implement an easy use.

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)04-09-2012 02:09 PM

I only use Telfriends for statistics.
    Mark

tindaya04-09-2012 02:19 PM

i think is necesary for private data

TELcp04-09-2012 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cees (Post 21925)
    I absolutely feel that this feature is or should be one of .tels killer features

[size]
    Yes, the TelFriends and Private Data combination of the .tel is a killer feature.
    It needs to be simplified.
    And should not force visitors to become TelFriends.
    Instead, tel Owner should provide a dummy/slave username/password to the selected group(s) to "View Private Data".
    .tel Owner should have the option to create multiple username/password combinations and delete when not required anymore.

This simplified method saves lot of time for both the tel Owner and Visitors.
    And hopefully change the way we communicate today.

:cool:

P.S.
    [/size]

• I am highlighting this matter over and over again on behalf of many .tel Owners (who are not members of this forum) as they requested me to do so.
    • All tel Owners whoever read this, please note that I have done my duty on behalf of you and do NOT wish to bring this up again.

telrific04-09-2012 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tindaya (Post 21948)
    i think is necesary for private data

[size]
    Completely agree if it is to be used as the "White Pages" by the masses, even among friends.

99% of the people I've tried to get to register a personal .tel won't do so because of privacy concerns.

The response is always: "That sounds great for Businesses, but I don't want my personal information online."

"But, it's protected if you keep it private." I say.

"I still don't trust it, it's not worth the risk ..." is the response.

People are okay with shallow chatter on Facebook and Twitter, but real data, not so much.

This is why the focus will need to be primarily "Yellow Pages", and why I've pursued that line of thinking.

Eventually it may gain trust personally, but the Business side will lead this one I'm afraid.

Even then, it will need a VERY slick and easy-to-use system for "circles".

:o[/size]

TELcp04-09-2012 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by telrific (Post 21950)
    Completely agree if it is to be used as the "White Pages" by the masses, even among friends.

99% of the people I've tried to get to register a personal .tel won't do so because of privacy concerns.

The response is always: "That sounds great for Businesses, but I don't want my personal information online."

"But, it's protected if you keep it private." I say.

"I still don't trust it, it's not worth the risk ..." is the response.

People are okay with shallow chatter on Facebook and Twitter, but real data, not so much.

This is why the focus will need to be primarily "Yellow Pages", and why I've pursued that line of thinking.

Eventually it may gain trust personally, but the Business side will lead this one I'm afraid.

Even then, it will need a VERY slick and easy-to-use system for "circles".

[size]
    Its the people, or individuals, who run businesses want to keep their own contact information private, NOT contact information of the business which needs publicity (Yellow Pages type).
    You can add professionals, academics etc to the list who wish to maintain private data online with safety.

The .tel technology provides this. But it is little bit complicated at the moment.
    People who want to make use of this killer feature need it to be simplified.
    When it is safe and simple, they will try it first. If satisfied, will continue to use it.
    That's all about it.

:cool:[/size]

telrific04-09-2012 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TELcp (Post 21956)
    Its the people, or individuals, who run businesses want to keep their own contact information private, NOT contact information of the business which needs publicity (Yellow Pages type).
    You can add professionals, academics etc to the list who wish to maintain private data online with safety.

The .tel technology provides this. But it is little bit complicated at the moment.
    People who want to make use of this killer feature and needs it to be simplified.
    When it is safe and simple, they will try it first. If satisfied, will continue to use it.
    That's all about it.

:cool:

[size]

That's still the "White Pages" side of it, the people, mixed or separate.

My point was that the People side, mixed with Business or alone, is a secondary stage of .tel acceptance, and YES, TelFriends is critical to it.

I'm focusing on the "Yellow Pages" side because acceptance is easier regardless of features, that's all I was adding for consideration in addition.

;)[/size]

dottel.net04-09-2012 04:42 PM

would be interested to see what telnames means for telfriends. wonder whether they are indeed looking to simplify and make it useable.

i don't personally use telfriends and not sure of anyone else that's using it either beyond pulling the raw access logs for the tel domains.

telrific04-09-2012 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by telrific (Post 21957)
    ... My point was that the People side, mixed with Business or alone, is a secondary stage of .tel acceptance, and YES, TelFriends is critical to it.

I'm focusing on the "Yellow Pages" side because acceptance is easier regardless of features, that's all I was adding for consideration in addition.

[size]
    Sorry to quote myself, wanted to give a "quick" comparison:

MySpace and Facebook are "Insensitive Data Sites" that are shallow, popular places where minor damage may occur if the data disclosed is exploited.

Yellow Pages, White Pages, and TelPages are "Sensitive Data Sites" that can cause more permanent damage if the data is exploited.

Businesses will always take the risk associated with "Sensitive Data Sites", as a necessary risk of doing business.

People, not so much.

Although the People side of .TEL and TelPages can be improved in many ways, it absolutely true that TelFriends is the most critical function of the Private side.

Problem is that the "Sensitive Data Site" stigma means Businesses will have to trust it and prove it safe before People will trust it, "en masse" anyway.

:([/size]

TELcp04-09-2012 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by telrific (Post 21959)
    Problem is that the "Sensitive Data Site" stigma means Businesses will have to trust it and prove it safe before People will trust it, "en masse".

[size]
    Participation is the most important factor here if it is to be proved safe.
    To get the users to participate, it has to be end user friendly.
    For that it needs to be simplified.
    It's the topic of the thread.

If properly designed based on our proposals even a business enterprises can broadcast "Private Data" to a selected group(s) for a specified period.
    In fact, it will be something like twitter.
    We have explained these in detail in this forum.
    But don't want to repeat the same content once again.

Cheers![/size]

telrific04-09-2012 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TELcp (Post 21960)
    To get the users to participate, it has to be end user friendly.
    For that it needs to be simplified.
    It's the topic of the thread.

If properly designed based on our proposals even a business enterprises can broadcast "Private Data" to a selected group(s) for a specified period.
    In fact, it will be something like twitter.
    We have explained these in detail in this forum.
    But don't want to repeat the same content once again.

Cheers!

[size]
    Understood ! I wasn't changing the topic, which I agreed with completely, only putting a perspective on it.

Your statement here may say it best:

Quote:
    [/size]

[size]
    1 Million Public Business users proven safe and the private side can get taken care of.
    10 Thousand Private Business users proven safe and we might not have a forum to speak of.

(You can say it the other way around of course)

1 Million Private Business users proven safe and the public side can get taken care of.
    10 Thousand Public Business users proven safe and we might not have a forum to speak of.

So, which scenario is more likely to fulfill your statement of participation = success ?

When we agree on that, we all win in the end.

:)[/size]

mikeseaton04-12-2012 07:14 PM

In view of what's going on with http://Telnames.tel I would be very surprised if there was any further development work on TelFriends.

The .tel game is changing forever now !

Mike Seaton

TELcp04-12-2012 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeseaton (Post 22074)
    In view of what's going on with http://Telnames.tel I would be very surprised if there was any further development work on TelFriends.
    Mike Seaton

[size]
    TelFriends belongs to Telnic.
    We are talking to Telnic through the forum on behalf of the tel Owners.

:)[/size]

mikeseaton04-12-2012 07:39 PM

OK - good luck with your request - I just don't think being realistic there will be any significant further development work undertaken by Telnic the registry on the CTH that Telnic currently provide.

Telnames the registrar as we know is offering many enhancements - but they appear to have no interest in TelFriends.

Hence my comment in post #14 - further discussion can be found at http://telnic.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2715

Mike Seaton

TELcp04-12-2012 07:51 PM

As we all know there has been lot of development work done by Telnic since day one.
    So, we hope that the same pattern will follow.
    But cannot comment on their time frame etc.

Geo04-12-2012 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeseaton (Post 22074)

Mike Seaton

[size]
    Telfriends may need to be reinvented, but TEL without privacy is not going to make TEL any friends. I'm not interested in letting everyone out there know both my professional and my personal side... heck, I don't even want to show all of my professional side to everyone out there. Privacy features are essential to attract the average person, and all the more in this day of online scammers and identity thieves. Question is how to address the shortcomings of Telfriends?[/size]

Geo04-12-2012 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TELcp (Post 22079)
    As we all know there has been lot of development work done by Telnic since day one.
    So, we hope that the same pattern will follow.
    But cannot comment on their time frame etc.

[size]
    I agree with this... I mean I also hope that the pattern continues. Telnic did get off to a pretty good start; they seem to have lost their initial enthusiasm though. 

The timeframe may have gotten derailed due to the effort poured into Telnames. I'm also wondering why several developers have left Telnic. Could be some major internal stresses partly due to conflicting visions and directions within the Telnic leadership. No doubt Telnic is feeling the stress of the economic downturn as well as pressure perhaps from large players who are demanding things from Telnic that might go against their initial vision.[/size]

Current date/time is 2024-05-07, 11:50 pm