The .TEL Community on the .TEL Domain Forum!

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Tel.community.

You are invited to participate in the growing .tel
community!

To take full advantage of everything offered by
our forum, please log in if you are already a
member or join our community if you're not yet.

The registration at TelTalk.org is free and easy!

Thank you for participation!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the objective forum for .tel domains! Read it first when anything is happening with .tel!

Please join the LIVE CHAT for all REGISTERED members at the bottom of our forum!

KeywordDomain vs Keyword-Domain?

Telnic
    Telnic
    High-Flyer
    High-Flyer

Warning level : 100 %

KeywordDomain vs Keyword-Domain? Empty KeywordDomain vs Keyword-Domain?

Post by Telnic 2015-01-03, 7:46 am

Geo04-23-2012 07:36 PM

KeywordDomain vs Keyword-Domain?

Just wondering whether there's a clear advantage to KeywordDomain without hyphens?

It seems that Telpages likes Keyword-Domains almost as much as the unhyphenated version. What about Google, in terms of ranking and SEO?

For some rather long keywords or multiple keyword phrases it's actually easier to read with the hyphen.

Mark Kolb (Kprobe)04-23-2012 07:37 PM

Google is very smart when it comes to parsing phrases without hyphens. So non hyphen is still best. 
    Mark

Geo04-23-2012 07:59 PM

Basically, I see lot's of non-hyphenated .Tels not being used, and am tempted to get the hyphenated versions and populate them. From Telpages point of view and Googles, I would imagine that a developed keyword-domain is by far better than an empty premium keyword domain... and as long as Google & Telpages rank the hyphenated versions well then it seems like a bargain to me... assuming of course that the domain will be populated and not simply for reselling.

Geo04-23-2012 08:02 PM

Do a telpages search for New York...

Clearly New-York.tel is better than newyorksomething.tel when it comes to any search for 'new york' alone. Do you see what I'm getting at?

telrific04-24-2012 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geo (Post 22590)
    Do a telpages search for New York...

Clearly New-York.tel is better than newyorksomething.tel when it comes to any search for 'new york' alone. Do you see what I'm getting at?

[size]
    Agreed, it's a easy choice per term/phrase.

:)[/size]

dialaroom04-24-2012 08:28 AM

Most SEO experts would tell you non hyphen is better, although google tend to treat hyphens as spaces, they also see them as a spam indicator if there are too many. Lots of really clever tests have been done, which prove non hyphenated domain names are better. Although it is suggested that hyphens in sub-domains or folders are ok, better on the eye etc. I had Dial-a-room.tel for a while set it up with different content to dialaroom.tel- never did as good. It was also a pain to tel people to go to dial hyphen a hyphen room.tel

Geo04-24-2012 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dialaroom (Post 22605)
    Most SEO experts would tell you non hyphen is better, although google tend to treat hyphens as spaces, they also see them as a spam indicator if there are too many. Lots of really clever tests have been done, which prove non hyphenated domain names are better. Although it is suggested that hyphens in sub-domains or folders are ok, better on the eye etc. I had Dial-a-room.tel for a while set it up with different content to dialaroom.tel- never did as good. It was also a pain to tel people to go to dial hyphen a hyphen room.tel

[size]
    Points well taken. I would certainly not chose a hyphenated domain for my business or any kind of address which people would have to remember. And as such it stands to reason that the most important and by extension busiest domains would not have hyphens in them... which would also lead to search engines giving extra weight in their algorithms to non-hyphenated domains. 

Perhaps that is what will eventually happen wrt to Telpages, as I'm sure it is already happening with Google, as you suggest. 

That said, if a majority of traffic comes from search engines which do provide extra weight to keyword domains, over non-keyword domains, then a hyphenated domain is still superior to other options and second only to the non-hyphenated version... all other things being equal of course.

And let's assume that Telpages does continue for a few years to treat hyphenated Tel domains as favorably as they do now, then that might give enough boost to hyphenated domains to raise the kind of traffic that would make them linked to by other sites and gain organic growth and ranking. Things change, so it's important to go with what's hot at the moment... if you want to make money online that is. If you want to brand something forever you might want to stretch your imagination and creativity and come up with a new and memorable non-hyphenated name... but I'm really talking about taking advantage of keywords in the SEO sense.[/size]

telrific04-24-2012 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geo (Post 22607)
    ...And let's assume that Telpages does continue for a few years to treat hyphenated Tel domains as favorably as they do now, then that might give enough boost to hyphenated domains to raise the kind of traffic that would make them linked to by other sites and gain organic growth and ranking....

[size]
    For a few years ? No, it had better be forever in Telpages.

Kash and Henri were questioned prior to general availability which would rank higher in Telpages and Henri said specifically the hypen version would rank higher between the two.

This has not been the case as a rule, but the two are at least at the top for the search term.

With tons of time and money invested by many based on these statements prior to purchase, it would be less than desireable for all parties to say the least to change it.

:o[/size]

dottel.net04-24-2012 09:22 AM

if your goal and intent is organic traffic via long tail then from what i've seen there isn't much (if any) differentiation between a hyphen or non-hyphen as long as the keywords are there.

obviously when it comes down to marketing, etc the non hyphen gets my vote every time.

going back to op, I agree, as most of the premium non hyphen names are locked up/parked/sitting idle, there is an opportunity to acquire the hyphen version, populate and generate traffic

telrific04-24-2012 10:38 AM

Completely agree, my intent at the time was to know and support both Telpages and Marketing, and to know how to approach either and/or both with .TEL

When Kash and Henri made those statements, choices had to be made, but it also gave a fair opportunity for those with hyphens to still have the Telpages benefit.

Many have taken advantage of this since for Telpages benefit alone.

dialaroom04-24-2012 11:18 AM

I still find it hard to be convinced of the potential of Telpages, especially when results seem limited. i.e search Telpages for "frome taxinumbers" - as expected frome.taxinumbers.tel is the result, type in "frome taxi numbers" and no results are found. 

Which leads me to believe the search engine is probably not too intelligent.

telrific04-24-2012 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dialaroom (Post 22616)
    I still find it hard to be convinced of the potential of Telpages, especially when results seem limited. i.e search Telpages for "frome taxinumbers" - as expected frome.taxinumbers.tel is the result, type in "frome taxi numbers" and no results are found. 

Which leads me to believe the search engine is probably not too intelligent.

[size]
    Yep, I would say that about 75% of the initial .TEL registration interest by the public was the Global Directory.

:([/size]

Geo04-24-2012 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dottel.net (Post 22611)
    if your goal and intent is organic traffic via long tail then from what i've seen there isn't much (if any) differentiation between a hyphen or non-hyphen as long as the keywords are there.

obviously when it comes down to marketing, etc the non hyphen gets my vote every time.

going back to op, I agree, as most of the premium non hyphen names are locked up/parked/sitting idle, there is an opportunity to acquire the hyphen version, populate and generate traffic

[size]
    Let's see how well it works with what I've already got to work with... if it works well enough to pay back renewals and then some... then this strategy presents a very attractive opportunity. :)[/size]

dottel.net04-24-2012 10:41 PM

i'd say that is a very very achievable proposition. best of luck

as always, let us know if there is anything we can do to help....

mikeseaton04-24-2012 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dialaroom (Post 22616)
    ...search Telpages for "frome taxinumbers" - as expected frome.taxinumbers.tel is the result, type in "frome taxi numbers" and no results are found.

[size]
    Just tried out the frome taxi numbers search using this Tel search engine and 5 results were found.

Mike Seaton

PS. Click the Web link above the Tel search results box to show frome.taxinumbers.tel is P7 of approx 9,000 web results.[/size]

Current date/time is 2024-05-19, 12:23 pm